How Sam Darnold trade continues to impact New York Jets, Carolina Panthers a year later

i dont know about this chart. 

i watched every game last year and in no world was Zach Wilson the same as Joe Burrow and 0.05 better then Kyler Murray.

it is funny how Sam Darnold is so low he looks like he is on an island. there is nobody close to him.

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember when Darnold was gonna go to Carolina and see his career ascend after adding all those Weppinz and being rid of Gase?

lmao

I remember going full turncoat right about the perfect time - say 6 weeks before the draft?

My timing was impeccable.

I plan to do so again if Bayside High turns out to be another boogie boarder. 

But until then, I will lament the lack of #wepinz and blame shoddy offensive line play... as is tradition.

That said, I'm gonna miss Greg Van Roten. That fella was consistently an average to above-average excuse for explaining poor quarterback play. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It should not bother me but the media even the Jets media assumes Zach will be as bad as Sam and I just do not see that happening.

Yeah....me neither...at all....the physical gifts are all there, he's highly intelligent (Mensa compared to Darnold), so only can wait and see how it all plays out, but I think with many more Weaponz in fold, his head not swimming like it was out of the gate and pre-injury (see Exhibit A, near year end when he had the GOAT beat for 59 minutes 30 seconds with Berrios as his #1) he is going to become more and more deadly with the additional experience he laps up.  You could see and feel the NFL game slow down for him against Tampa's #4 D.

This throw is out of a Howitzer.

Exhibit A

6 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yeah....me neither...at all....the physical gifts are all there, he's highly intelligent (Mensa compared to Darnold), so only can wait and see how it all plays out, but I think with many more Weaponz in fold, his head not swimming like it was out of the gate and pre-injury (see Exhibit A, near year end when he had the GOAT beat for 59 minutes 30 seconds with Berrios as his #1) he is going to become more and more deadly with the additional experience he laps up.  You could see and feel the NFL game slow down for him against Tampa's #4 D.

This throw is out of a Howitzer.

Exhibit A

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

White only doesn’t appear on the chart because there’s no datapoint that can be charted for “infinite” efficiency.

@T0mShane

No lie, I would actually be curious to see where Mike White stands on this chart, but it would based on such a small sample size that it would be almost meaningless.

At least I can be pleasantly surprised that, at least according to this chart, Zach Wilson might not suck that much.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

No lie, I would actually be curious to see where Mike White stands on this chart, but it would based on such a small sample size that it would be almost meaningless.

At least I can be pleasantly surprised that, at least according to this chart, Zach Wilson might not suck that much.

Bengals game efficiency:  Hall of Fame

9 hours ago, doitny said:

i dont know about this chart. 

i watched every game last year and in no world was Zach Wilson the same as Joe Burrow and 0.05 better then Kyler Murray.

it is funny how Sam Darnold is so low he looks like he is on an island. there is nobody close to him.

He’s nowhere near them on comp%. But according to that epa axis he made a lot of good decisions, and frequently got the yards he needed to get. So fewer three yards gains on 3rd & 5, for instance. Considering how bad he (and the entire team) was early in the year, it’s very encouraging. At least to me. I’ll take it. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It should not bother me but the media even the Jets media assumes Zach will be as bad as Sam and I just do not see that happening.

If Sam ranked 32nd, then being ranked 25th is equal to being as bad. Zach hasn’t shown anything so far that he’s better than a 4th of the NFL QBs. In fact, he hasn’t shown he’s the best QB on the team yet. It’s the belief that he will improve that has kept him in the starting role. 

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He had 4 TDs, 9 INTs and was completing about 58% of his passes. Pretty liberal use of the term “efficiency,” imo

Obviously short term and likely aberrant, but my guess is that the Jets/Wilson were bolstered by being in a lot of bad situations and doing the expected level of bad performance in them.  I’m not surprised people are hanging on this but the point was really just to show Darnold, sitting by himself, weeping.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It continues to impact the NYJ positively and it continues to impact the Carolina Panthers negatively.

Boy, that was easy.

It is only positive for us if Zach takes the leap we are hoping for. Last season, he was amoung the worst QB's in the league. Nobody is really sure how this goes yet. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

He’s nowhere near them on comp%. But according to that epa axis he made a lot of good decisions, and frequently got the yards he needed to get. So fewer three yards gains on 3rd & 5, for instance. Considering how bad he (and the entire team) was early in the year, it’s very encouraging. At least to me. I’ll take it. 

I'll be 100% honest.  I looked at that chart, looked where Wilson was on that chart, and looked at what that chart covered......and I had no idea what it really "meant" about Wilson and the quality of his play.

If you got something from it beyond "he's in the the middle", you're a better man than I (not that that was really debatable amirite?)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Obviously short term and likely aberrant, but my guess is that the Jets/Wilson were bolstered by being in a lot of bad situations and doing the expected level of bad performance in them.  I’m not surprised people are hanging on this but the point was really just to show Darnold, sitting by himself, weeping.

Sad Michael Jordan GIF

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll be 100% honest.  I looked at that chart, looked where Wilson was on that chart, and looked at what that chart covered......and I had no idea what it really "meant" about Wilson and the quality of his play.

If you got something from it beyond "he's in the the middle", you're a better man than I (not that that was really debatable amirite?)

I didn’t know either until @ZachEY posted the explanations (that I now can’t find). Suffice to say it’s an advanced, what happened vs. what could be expected stat. Wilson did surprisingly well with getting the most out of a lot of plays they analyzed. Like I said, any good news, I’ll take it. 

20 hours ago, ZachEY said:

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I didn’t know either until @ZachEY posted the explanations (that I now can’t find). Suffice to say it’s an advanced, what happened vs. what could be expected stat. Wilson did surprisingly well with getting the most out of a lot of plays they analyzed. Like I said, any good news, I’ll take it. 

Generally that, yes, as I understand it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I didn’t know either until @ZachEY posted the explanations (that I now can’t find). Suffice to say it’s an advanced, what happened vs. what could be expected stat. Wilson did surprisingly well with getting the most out of a lot of plays they analyzed.

Fair enough.

16 minutes ago, slats said:

Like I said, any good news, I’ll take it. 

Can't fault you for that.