Are the Jets going to trade with the Saints?

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think there is a very real possibility. Trading to 4 is much safer than 5, plus the value of 16 and 19 is basically #4. Still lots of rumors about Det taking Willis so it would be a draft night trade

Not buying this.

They traded all those picks to get #16 and #19 just to give them to the Jets for #4?!  Why not just trade up to #4 in the first place?  

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Assuming Hutchinson is gone my top choice would be Thibs followed by Sauce Gardner. While the thought of having 3 first round picks is enticing, I don’t feel comfortable dropping that far.

Tibs might fall out of the top 10. Wonder why?

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not buying this.

They traded all those picks to get #16 and #19 just to give them to the Jets for #4?!  Why not just trade up to #4 in the first place?  

This was my first thought, too, but if they move up too early, someone else can move up ahead of them. Teams hoping to land the first QB at pick #4 or shortly thereafter are gonna wait until that pick is on the clock. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Giants at #5 are another real possibility, maybe scaring the Panthers into getting fleeced by JD once again. 

Great point. Fearing the Saints could make a move to leapfrog over them, the Panthers try to move into the #4 slot. Best case scenario of course is while the Jets are on the clock JD gets a call from both teams and it turns into a bidding war for #4.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, PS17 said:

The problem with the Jets at 4 is that if a QB needy team like the Saints wants to trade up, the Panthers can easily move into the top 3 to get in front. 

Good point. That's why they are probably going to have wait till draft day at the very last minute to pull off such a deal.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The problem with the Jets at 4 is that if a QB needy team like the Saints wants to trade up, the Panthers can easily move into the top 3 to get in front. 

Yeah,  as someone said above, that's why I feel like this doesn't happen until draft night.

My guess.  There's a deal in place already - and if their QB of choice is there - the trade happens. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Matchmaker...matchmaker...make me a match

Find me a find

Catch me a catch

If I were a rich man

Well with all that cap space you kind of are

just one with a bad reputation

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not buying this.

Because the Jets want two first round picks to make and another (lower than 4/10) to trade for a WR, whereas the Giants want a 2023 first in their pursuit of a QB. 

41 minutes ago, PS17 said:

What could the Panthers give up to easily get into the top 3?  I ask this respectfully.  No 2nd or 3rd round picks this year, they would have to give up a lot of their future picks which might be less appealing to Jax, Detroit, and Houston that want progress now. 

Yes, the Eagles got future consideration at a spot in the draft where some teams might have felt the talent gap wasn't that great extending into the top of round 2.  They also started with 3 first rounders and still have 2. 

I like what New Orleans is doing because they recognize this and have set themselves up well to grab their guy.  I just don't think other teams are going to have the ammo to pry a top 3 pick.

Just my 1 cent, if it's worth that much.     

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Would prefer to stay @ 4 and see which pass rushers are available, but sure, Carolina, go ahead and trade ahead of us for a quarterback. 

Panthers don't have much to offer in terms of 2022 picks It would have to be future picks and/or a player(s).

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not buying this.

If they just wanted pick 16 & 19 why wouldn't thy wait until the Eagles were on the clock at 16 to make this move to make sure they players they are targeting are there?

Seems to me they needed these picks for something else - possibly a draft day trade up with someone who didn't like the package they offered to the Eagles but would make the move for 2 2022 firsts. Doing all 3 trades while you're on the clock would take too much time, so they got step 1 done early.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Assuming Hutchinson is gone my top choice would be Thibs followed by Sauce Gardner. While the thought of having 3 first round picks is enticing, I don’t feel comfortable dropping that far.

I don't think he'd be looking for that. More likely the extra 1st would be for 2023 not another in 2022. We have enough high picks this year.

At some point it's too many rookies (again).

Plus the backup plan at QB - if Wilson looks no better this coming season, however likely or unlikely that seems today - is they may want to have the ammo to move up (if needed) without trading away the whole draft class that year plus a 1st the following year or still more picks.

I like the idea of another early swing at the plate in '23, if he can make it happen, better than a 5th top-40 pick in this draft. 

• Upvote 3