Are the Jets going to trade with the Saints?

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Why would the Saints trade up to 4 when they can trade up to 5 and get the same player? 

How do we know the Giants don't want to take a QB?  New regime, not sure how they can be confident Jones is the guy.  Don't think they picked up his option and they might like 1 of the QBs available.  They also have 2 top picks and sitting a rookie QB a year is not a bad plan.  If Jones does great, it's a good problem to have.   

I'm still pissed the Jets didn't take a shot on Watson or Mahomes, guys who weren't 'surefire' top 10 picks heading into the draft.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

How do we know the Giants don't want to take a QB?  New regime, not sure how they can be confident Jones is the guy.  Don't think they picked up his option and they might like 1 of the QBs available.  They also have 2 top picks.  

I'm still pissed the Jets didn't take a shot on Watson or Mahomes, guys who weren't 'surefire' top 10 picks heading into the draft.  

The Giants are paying Daniel Jones 22 million dollars this season. That's a spicy meatball to put on the bench 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

What could the Panthers give up to easily get into the top 3?  I ask this respectfully.  No 2nd or 3rd round picks this year, they would have to give up a lot of their future picks which might be less appealing to Jax, Detroit, and Houston that want progress now. 

Yes, the Eagles got future consideration at a spot in the draft where some teams might have felt the talent gap wasn't that great extending into the top of round 2.  They also started with 3 first rounders and still have 2. 

I like what New Orleans is doing because they recognize this and have set themselves up well to grab their guy.  I just don't think other teams are going to have the ammo to pry a top 3 pick.

Just my 1 cent, if it's worth that much.     

McCaffrey 

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Why would the Saints trade up to 4 when they can trade up to 5 and get the same player? 

I think it's the idea of "another team can jump us if we don't get high enough" but yeah you're kinda right. Don't think this is the class for that type of thing. 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Giants are paying Daniel Jones 22 million dollars this season. That's a spicy meatball to put on the bench 

He's not sitting on the bench.  A guy like Willis would be on the bench and a nice insurance policy if Jones doesn't work out.  And if he does, then again it's a good problem to have much like when San Diego had both Brees and Rivers.

I'm not saying it's happening, but it's a plausible scenario I wouldn't bet against.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yep, throwing in players would be a workaround but not sure a top 3 (draft) team would be enamored with his contract and recent injury history.  He's missed a LOT of games these past 2 years.

Not saying it would happen, but he's certainly a piece that can be traded along with lower draft assets . Jax has Robinson & Etienne, Det has Swift . Hou has nobody good at RB they might be intrigued by CMC and a package of picks 

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this HC and GM decided to do it. It was his 5th year option and they picked it up in January 

My error actually wasn’t that they picked up the option, it was that his fifth year option isn’t until next year. He’s making a little over $8M this year.

And they haven’t picked his fifth year option up yet, either. So yeah, not this GM/HC’s mistake and they’ve yet to commit anything to him.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yep, throwing in players would be a workaround but not sure a top 3 (draft) team would be enamored with his contract and recent injury history.  He's missed a LOT of games these past 2 years.

Because he was overused in college and In 2018 and 2019 when he was the best fantasy player on the planet

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Yes - if only because we'll get to see a plethora of Culpo sister fluffy pictures on a regular basis if they are both in NY. The tabloids and social media will go insane for our benefit.

Thank you Joe Douglas!!  Thank you!

Culpos.thumb.jpg.7c3ff713c57597fdb863673244495c3f.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I think it's the idea of "another team can jump us if we don't get high enough" but yeah you're kinda right. Don't think this is the class for that type of thing. 

You're probably right but as this off-season has proved, anything is possible.

9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

You are correct. My parents saw the play and always talked about Zero Mostel. I liked Topal. 

I would argue that I’ve seen that movie more than any other gentile. We had it on two VHS tapes, that my young son called The Dibba Movie and The Ugly Dibba Movie (for Rich Man in the first half and the nightmare scene in the second). Sometimes he wasn’t up for watching the ugly one, lol. 

On 4/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not buying this.

They traded all those picks to get #16 and #19 just to give them to the Jets for #4?!  Why not just trade up to #4 in the first place?  

Because they are going to be competing with the Steelers. Steelers can offer up a top WR in the trade, Saints offer the extra first now to get the WR. 

It's all going to come down to the Texans, Jets, and Giants IMO

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Because they are going to be competing with the Steelers. Steelers can offer up a top WR in the trade, Saints offer the extra first now to get the WR. 

It's all going to come down to the Texans, Jets, and Giants IMO

Isn't the competition also with the Panthers, who pick #6 OA and have Darnold, who they probably want to move on from?  If so, trading to the Giants' pick at #5 could be the move (they pick #7 anyway so they can still get an OL if that's what they covet).  Of course a team could leapfrog the Giants with a trade to #4 with the Jets.  But how do we know that's where it ends?  I could see any of the top 3 wanting to trade out.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Isn't the competition also with the Panthers, who pick #6 OA and have Darnold, who they probably want to move on from?  If so, trading to the Giants' pick at #5 could be the move (they pick #7 anyway so they can still get an OL if that's what they covet).  Of course a team could leapfrog the Giants with a trade to #4 with the Jets.  But how do we know that's where it ends?  I could see any of the top 3 wanting to trade out.

The competition is all teams that want a QB but IMO the Saints are going to be competing with the Steelers offer to move up to 3, 4, or 5. I really think those are the teams that can offer the best packages.

Panthers don't own a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year, I think they are stuck at 6.

It will fall on the Texans, Jets, and Giants to accept an offer. 

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

The competition is all teams that want a QB but IMO the Saints are going to be competing with the Steelers offer to move up to 3, 4, or 5. I really think those are the teams that can offer the best packages.

Panthers don't own a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year, I think they are stuck at 6.

It will fall on the Texans, Jets, and Giants to accept an offer. 

If you're Jax or Detroit, you really think they'd be better off taking Hutchinson and maybe Trevon Walker instead of trading out of their pick to get multiple others?  I would imagine both teams would much prefer to add more picks.  Really like what the Eagles did btw.  They're really going to be in position to trade up for a QB next year while still having 2 1st rounders this year.

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If you're Jax or Detroit, you really think they'd be better off taking Hutchinson and maybe Trevon Walker instead of trading out of their pick to get multiple others?  I would imagine both teams would much prefer to add more picks.  Really like what the Eagles did btw.  They're really going to be in position to trade up for a QB next year while still having 2 1st rounders this year.

I suppose it's possible the Jags or Lions trade out but I'd be surprised to see it happen. I really think 3, 4, 5 are going to be the cheapest options since all 3 teams would still have a top 12 pick.

On 4/5/2022 at 3:00 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

Would prefer to stay @ 4 and see which pass rushers are available, but sure, Carolina, go ahead and trade ahead of us for a quarterback. 

Don't think the Panthers have the assets to move up ahead of us to get a QB. From the article that was accurate about the trade with Darnold and such, that team after the 6th pick in round 1 has no picks till the 4th round and they gave us their original 4th rounder. They would have to trade remaining picks they have this year and a high pick next year to go from like 6 to 3 even, so it is unlikely to happen. They can continue to maybe help us since they are at 6 and are a threat to take the best QB off the board allowing teams close behind them like the Saints and Falcons with more tradeable assets to maybe move up to our 4 slot for a QB they like(QBs are getting the normal hyper train now i.e Willis, Pickett, Corral, etc. Now as was mentioned those teams can move up ahead of 6 to 5 with the Giants pick, but we are still at 4 and until we pick there is the threat we trade that pick to a QB desperate team looking to get the QB they want ahead of everyone. Another plus with the Saints or Falcons trading with the Jets is you would rather not give a large contingency of assets to a team in your conference that could come back to haunt you as they could end up being in your way. 

40 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Don't think the Panthers have the assets to move up ahead of us to get a QB. From the article that was accurate about the trade with Darnold and such, that team after the 6th pick in round 1 has no picks till the 4th round and they gave us their original 4th rounder. They would have to trade remaining picks they have this year and a high pick next year to go from like 6 to 3 even, so it is unlikely to happen. They can continue to maybe help us since they are at 6 and are a threat to take the best QB off the board allowing teams close behind them like the Saints and Falcons with more tradeable assets to maybe move up to our 4 slot for a QB they like(QBs are getting the normal hyper train now i.e Willis, Pickett, Corral, etc. Now as was mentioned those teams can move up ahead of 6 to 5 with the Giants pick, but we are still at 4 and until we pick there is the threat we trade that pick to a QB desperate team looking to get the QB they want ahead of everyone. Another plus with the Saints or Falcons trading with the Jets is you would rather not give a large contingency of assets to a team in your conference that could come back to haunt you as they could end up being in your way. 

For the record, I would happily take #6 and their first next year for #4, but I imagine that they’re about as averse to trading with JD as the Seahawks are. 

On 4/5/2022 at 3:52 PM, derp said:

Because the Jets want two first round picks to make and another (lower than 4/10) to trade for a WR, whereas the Giants want a 2023 first in their pursuit of a QB. 

Thats the rub.  These teams with multiple first looking to trade up will probably have a hard time dealing with the Giants who really are looking for 2023 picks.  They're going to need a bunch to be able to beat out some of the teams looking for QBs next year.  

Jets are a good fit here for a trade with the Saints if they are looking for a QB truly.  I've also heard rumors they may actually be looking to move up for a OT.  Either way moving ahead of the Giants or the Panthers makes the most sense for them and even though ive been touting the Giants as the most likely trade partners in trade ups, in this scenario, its the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2022 at 4:56 PM, derp said:

Not this HC/GM’s mistake so I doubt they worry about those optics.

From what I've heard, and im not as privy to giants news but its definitely the belief with a lot of people.  Mara is pretty hell bent on them seeing what they have in Jones this year.  If he flops, next year is their year.  A LOT of people would be extremely surprised for them to take a QB at 5 or 7.