Are the Jets going to trade with the Saints?

24 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

From what I've heard, and im not as privy to giants news but its definitely the belief with a lot of people.  Mara is pretty hell bent on them seeing what they have in Jones this year.  If he flops, next year is their year.  A LOT of people would be extremely surprised for them to take a QB at 5 or 7. 

I'm sure they're very much aware of what the Eagles just did (loading up picks in next year's draft to potentially trade up for a QB).  I would think the Giants might want to trade down for some draft capital next year for the same purpose.  They have 2 top 7 picks this year so they can easily afford to move down with at least one of them.

42 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Thats the rub.  These teams with multiple first looking to trade up will probably have a hard time dealing with the Giants who really are looking for 2023 picks.  They're going to need a bunch to be able to beat out some of the teams looking for QBs next year.  

Jets are a good fit here for a trade with the Saints if they are looking for a QB truly.  I've also heard rumors they may actually be looking to move up for a OT.  Either way moving ahead of the Giants or the Panthers makes the most sense for them and even though ive been touting the Giants as the most likely trade partners in trade ups, in this scenario, its the Jets. 

I had wondered about tackle and the Jets would certainly make sense. Man the Saints would get crushed for that.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:54 PM, bitonti said:

The Giants are paying Daniel Jones 22 million dollars this season. That's a spicy meatball to put on the bench 

Or theyre not

A decision on his 5th year option isnt due until May 2, doubt they pick it up before seeing him in camp 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm sure they're very much aware of what the Eagles just did (loading up picks in next year's draft to potentially trade up for a QB).  I would think the Giants might want to trade down for some draft capital next year for the same purpose.  They have 2 top 7 picks this year so they can easily afford to move down with at least one of them.

They would absolutely love to, theyve made that more than clear.  The problem is they need teams willing to trade next years 1st in order to make a deal work for them.  Eagles, Dolphins, and potentially Seahawks are loaded with extra firsts to make a QB move next year.  Falcons, Lions, Panthers (if they dont draft one this year) all will be bad enough to be in position to select one.  The giants may be on the outside looking in to make it into the top 2-3 picks in order to get a guy next year.

1 hour ago, derp said:

I had wondered about tackle and the Jets would certainly make sense. Man the Saints would get crushed for that.

yea it would be a bad optic.  It is also just quite possible they wanted more draft capital to start adding cheap controllable talent to an aging roster.  They're going to have to start replacing guys sooner or later and the extra firsts can give them a head start on the future.  

So while everyone assumes this is in order to trade up, the possibility of them staying and selecting also makes sense on a certain level.  

If they do trade up, i believe it would be with the jets at 4 just because they have nothing to offer the giants that the giants would love to take, and they would have to get ahead of the panthers for a QB. 

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

yea it would be a bad optic.  It is also just quite possible they wanted more draft capital to start adding cheap controllable talent to an aging roster.  They're going to have to start replacing guys sooner or later and the extra firsts can give them a head start on the future.  

So while everyone assumes this is in order to trade up, the possibility of them staying and selecting also makes sense on a certain level.  

If they do trade up, i believe it would be with the jets at 4 just because they have nothing to offer the giants that the giants would love to take, and they would have to get ahead of the panthers for a QB. 

I wouldn’t mind that trade for the Jets at all. Still think 4 is no man’s land. Would be especially nice if they could flip one of those picks for a WR but I’d take it anyway.

Just now, derp said:

I wouldn’t mind that trade for the Jets at all. Still think 4 is no man’s land. Would be especially nice if they could flip one of those picks for a WR but I’d take it anyway.

4 is going to be really interesting.  Hutch by all accounts seems to be going 1st, unless they opt to go with 1 of the tackles. 

At 4 could be a nothingness void, or it could be a hot bed of action.  Really depends kind of on the lions and what they do, if by some shocking move they go QB then this whole draft gets really interesting. Actually if they go anything except thibs it kind of gets spicy

3 minutes ago, derp said:

4 is only no man’s land b/c the jets still have becton.  If the jets took ekongwu and traded becton, that would make sense.  They’d have the vet Tomlinson at G next to him.  And then they’d take JJ or karlaftis at 10 or in a trade back.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

4 is only no man’s land b/c the jets still have becton.  If the jets took ekongwu and traded becton, that would make sense.  They’d have the vet Tomlinson at G next to him.  And then they’d take JJ or karlaftis at 10 or in a trade back.

Except they have a young QB, Ekwonu is raw in pass protection, they’d get less for Becton than the fourth pick, and Becton’s going to be playing at a position that last year was adequately filled by a guy they signed in June. Extend Fant and add tackle depth.

The degree of gymnastics required for Ekwonu to maybe make sense means Ekwonu probably doesn’t make sense. I suppose it’s different if they can get some wild offer for Becton but even then I’d extend Fant, keep him at LT, and not spend the fourth pick on a right tackle who’s raw in pass protection to fill the hole at RT.

If the Jets had a veteran QB and didn’t have an LT who was elite in pass protection Ekwonu would be very different.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Except they have a young QB, Ekwonu is raw in pass protection, they’d get less for Becton than the fourth pick, and Becton’s going to be playing at a position that last year was adequately filled by a guy they signed in June. Extend Fant and add tackle depth.

The degree of gymnastics required for Ekwonu to maybe make sense means Ekwonu probably doesn’t make sense. I suppose it’s different if they can get some wild offer for Becton but even then I’d extend Fant, keep him at LT, and not spend the fourth pick on a right tackle who’s raw in pass protection to fill the hole at RT.

If the Jets had a veteran QB and didn’t have an LT who was elite in pass protection Ekwonu would be very different.

My point is that if douglas drafted based on positional value and BAP, OL may well be the most logical pick at 4, and edge at 10.  The one issue with taking an OL at 4 is that they have becton, but if they dealt him for reasonable draft compensation, the pick may make sense.

if they don’t go OL at 4, and 3 edges go 1, 2 and 3, then the jets are probably taking a cb at 4, and then an edge at 10.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My point is that if douglas drafted based on positional value and BAP, OL may well be the most logical pick at 4, and edge at 10.  The one issue with taking an OL at 4 is that they have becton, but if they dealt him for reasonable draft compensation, the pick may make sense.

if they don’t go OL at 4, and 3 edges go 1, 2 and 3, then the jets are probably taking a cb at 4, and then an edge at 10.

Maybe, it might not be Ekwonu, and Fant’s presence is an obstacle as well.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

I guess it is easy to see the draft unfolding where the edge guys go early, the BAP is clearly OL but the jets don’t want to take one again.  In this scenario they would probably take Gardner, and then would be locked into an edge at 10 and no wr unless they’re trading back into round 1 or taking another suspect 2nd round wr prospect.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I guess it is easy to see the draft unfolding where the edge guys go early, the BAP is clearly OL but the jets don’t want to take one again.  In this scenario they would probably take Gardner, and then would be locked into an edge at 10 and no wr unless they’re trading back into round 1 or taking another suspect 2nd round wr prospect.

I agree with that in general, though I’m not sure they’re going to draft as much for need as you outline. They never do the fit the needs at each pick style draft that we outline here.

The tackles are part of why four is no man’s land, but it's not just Becton - they have two guys who have played left tackle capably. Also this class just isn’t very good at the top.

20 minutes ago, derp said:

Really love to see the Jets announce a Fant extension over draft weekend. Something they’ve already worked out, but kept quiet so the lunatics continue pining over yet another first round OL this year and maybe helping to disguise their intentions. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

Really love to see the Jets announce a Fant extension over draft weekend. Something they’ve already worked out, but kept quiet so the lunatics continue pining over yet another first round OL this year and maybe helping to disguise their intentions. 

This is the thing I’ve most wanted to come to fruition this offseason that hasn’t, but that would be great timing.