Pauline- slipping on their arse

hmhertz

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Shockingly,  Kevin Mawaes RAS score was a 7.15

Nick Mangolds calculated at 9.1

And shockingly, I ran our own Connor McGoverns scores from his combine out of Missouri..

Screenshot_20220405-232734_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e8d2ee8dae884a47bfdc08c74d6bb7ac.jpg

https://ras.football/2017/01/17/oc-relative-athletic-scores-ras-table/

The "ras" is nice & something more for fans to "get off" on but as is Clearly shown here not a predictor of good/great play. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

your arm length is your arm length, doesnt matter how tall you are. its not like your weight where 6-4 being 320 is the same as 6-2 being 300. 

IDK but i just pulled up 5 articles that all same the same thing. his arm length is a concern. 

only Mangold and John Sullivan ( 31.5) had under 32 inch arms and were good at center. 

and Lindenbaum's wingspan is 75 5/8 as compared to Humpries at 79 1/2. i keep searching for Mangold wingspan but i cant find it.

with those warning signs and no Pro day or combine its too risky for 35 and 38. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/spencer-long

image.png.42c613c3c355cd25a04b3bb10265950c.png

• Upvote 1

He wont fall to the second.

I’d 100% trade back into the first round for him if he’s falling into the mid-twenties. He’s as close to a can’t miss as you can get at the position. Need’s be damned he’s Mawae/Mangold type who can carry that line for 10+ years. 

4 hours ago, doitny said:

guys his stock isnt dropping cause he is a center, or cause he cant run a cone,  its dropping cause his arms are so short. and they aren't getting any longer. 

Are you saying that scouts and GMs looked at film, rated him a first round pick, then saw a measurement and decided he wasn't that good anymore?

His arms didn't just shrink in the wash ... the whole notion that his position on draft boards is changing is laughable to me. He may be dropping down on MOCK drafts, but I doubt that teams have done a 360 on him because of a measurement.

I guess Kyle Hamilton will be in the 2nd round too after his 40 time? ?

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Scouts: “Hmmm, you cannot take DK Metcalf in Round One because of his three cone!”

<two years pass>

GMs: Please take these two first round picks so I can pay DK Metcalf $90 million in cash please. I drafted Denzel Mims and his excellent three cone.

This was alot the people on this board as well..

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, doitny said:

wow some of you guys are so hard up for a OL .

guys his stock isnt dropping cause he is a center, or cause he cant run a cone,  its dropping cause his arms are so short. and they aren't getting any longer. 

im not a pro scout but from what i read 31 inch arms are a problem. Mangold was 31 7/8 and Humpries is 31 3/4. and hes not strong. and before we put a gold jacket on Humpries after a year remember he played with the one of the best QBs and they tend to make there OL look really good.

I'm guessing you've never wrestled before...

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Every year, IOLs and WRs fall into the second and third round because they don’t meet the criteria, then two years later, teams are desperately trying to sign or trade for those same players because scouts are generally ignorant hillbillies who couldn’t cut it as position coaches in D-III. 

You say that now, but when Linderbaum is out there struggling to get his hands on 6'5 300lb lineman trying bull doze him over because his arm length is half a centimeter smaller than the average starting Center in the NFL, you'll be like damn! Dudes looking like Trex out here trying to block!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You act like GM's don't use this metric.

GMs will use the metric - but not as the be all and end all. And this is where I think that the claim that Linderbaum is "dropping" is more to do with mock drafts than actual GM draft boards.

None of us know the exact way that teams put their boards together, but if they're significantly altering them as a result of combines and workouts it would suggest they shouldn't be running a team, IMO. Let's say the Jets had an evaluation of Linderbaum based on their scouting reports and scored him as 78 / 100. Combine and so on could potentially increase that to 79 or 80, or decrease it to 77 or 76. But if they significantly change their rating - like up to 90 or down to 60 - then they need to look long and hard about why this is the case.

Mock drafts on the other hand are more throwaway - and if you just publish the same one every week or month, you don't get the clicks. You've almost got to have a "hot take" with guys rising and falling to get interest and stand out from all the other mocks. How often do these analysts write a new piece of "Player X still looks like a mid-second round draft pick"? They hype up 40 times and hand size and how a player can jump out of a swimming pool to create interest and attention - whether or not it actually matters.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Every year, IOLs and WRs fall into the second and third round because they don’t meet the criteria, then two years later, teams are desperately trying to sign or trade for those same players because scouts are generally ignorant hillbillies who couldn’t cut it as position coaches in D-III. 

I think the NFL has the same problem that plagues MLB.....the analytic assholes that are running the front offices around the league. Scouts know what to look for in players, they see things on tape, in workouts, that more accurately predict how good a player will be than 40 times etc. Just to use an example near and dear to our hearts, Zuniga tested off the charts with RAS. Zack Thomas lasted until the 3rd rd for the same idiocy. 

7 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I heard someone recently compare Linderbaum to Tyler Biadasz (Cowboys). Talked about shorter arms and lack of strength as an issue. Don't know if it was a valid comparison or not.

FWIW, Linderbaum is one of the strongest Pound for Pound weight room performers in program history under Ferentz, which spans nearly 25 years now and has produced some monsters. He holds several one rep max revords for his position, one being squat.  He set the Squat record in 2019 when he was 19 I believe.  So he’s naturally strong and he’s obviously grown on that.  

Arm length sure.  Strength, he’s an ox.

• Upvote 2

I’m guessing that most of you guys jumping all over Linderbaum at #35 would’ve been happy with the undersized IOL at #10 before this article popped up. 

The OL isn’t the issue on this team. It’s maybe the best position group they have right now. Edge, WR, DB, TE, RB, LB are all much more needy positions. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I heard someone recently compare Linderbaum to Tyler Biadasz (Cowboys). Talked about shorter arms and lack of strength as an issue. Don't know if it was a valid comparison or not.

Also Garrett Bradbury. Highly regarded prospect. Hasn't been very good with  Vikings. You never know. He could be great. It's a risk. With so many other needs. I say, no.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m guessing that most of you guys jumping all over Linderbaum at #35 would’ve been happy with the undersized IOL at #10 before this article popped up. 

The OL isn’t the issue on this team. It’s maybe the best position group they have right now. Edge, WR, DB, TE, RB, LB are all much more needy positions. 

I don't think it's an issue, but you can never go wrong drafting offensive lineman. We can get by with what we have at DB, TE and RB (assuming we use a mid round pick on a RB).

26 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

FWIW, Linderbaum is one of the strongest Pound for Pound weight room performers in program history under Ferentz, which spans nearly 25 years now and has produced some monsters. He holds several one rep max revords for his position, one being squat.  He set the Squat record in 2019 when he was 19 I believe.  So he’s naturally strong and he’s obviously grown on that.  

Arm length sure.  Strength, he’s an ox.

Good inside info HawkeyeJet!! Love to hear that.

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Trey Burks WILL be the steal of the draft and the best WR out of this class. 

He's a bigger, stronger, faster Deebo Samuel and literally ran people over in the SEC, and people are jizzing themselves over a bunch of frail little ****s and a slower Keyshawn Johnson. 

He's not actually as fast as deebo 

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

You have too much time on your hands :D... Would never even know where to find crap like that.  I'm guessing you're into graphic design lol...

All I did was click the "gif" button and typed in "Corn".  Try it; it's the first result.  lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

GMs will use the metric - but not as the be all and end all. And this is where I think that the claim that Linderbaum is "dropping" is more to do with mock drafts than actual GM draft boards.

None of us know the exact way that teams put their boards together, but if they're significantly altering them as a result of combines and workouts it would suggest they shouldn't be running a team, IMO. Let's say the Jets had an evaluation of Linderbaum based on their scouting reports and scored him as 78 / 100. Combine and so on could potentially increase that to 79 or 80, or decrease it to 77 or 76. But if they significantly change their rating - like up to 90 or down to 60 - then they need to look long and hard about why this is the case.

Mock drafts on the other hand are more throwaway - and if you just publish the same one every week or month, you don't get the clicks. You've almost got to have a "hot take" with guys rising and falling to get interest and stand out from all the other mocks. How often do these analysts write a new piece of "Player X still looks like a mid-second round draft pick"? They hype up 40 times and hand size and how a player can jump out of a swimming pool to create interest and attention - whether or not it actually matters.

but thats a factor too besides the arm length. no combine and no pro day. there is alot of missing info on him. maybe too much for alot of teams to take so high. 

and are we sure NFL teams had him ranked so high? or was alot of that media hype cause he was the best Center. looking around if he turns out to be good he will have the shortest arm length for a good Center EVER!. and he plays the lowest value position on the team. now maybe a team like the Bengals who have a much better roster can take a chance but not us for many reasons.

1. if we take an OL in rd 1 ( god help me) then were not picking a Center in rd 2. 2 out of our top 4 picks on the OL is ridiculous. 

2. if we dont take an OL in rd 1 or 2 then we need a young backup  thats better than Fenney and McDermott. and were not going to use a 2nd and a 3rd on the OL. 

9 hours ago, jetsons said:

The "ras" is nice & something more for fans to "get off" on but as is Clearly shown here not a predictor of good/great play. 

The metrics found in the RAS score matter quite a bit for EDGE rushers, actually.  It's very hard to find non-athletic pass rushers who have success in the pros.  And there are other aspects of the RAS score that matter a great deal for other positions, too.  

But, sure, keep pretending like measurables don't matter, Mike Maccagnan.  Worked out great for your tenure here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

but thats a factor too besides the arm length. no combine and no pro day. there is alot of missing info on him. maybe too much for alot of teams to take so high. 

and are we sure NFL teams had him ranked so high? or was alot of that media hype cause he was the best Center. looking around if he turns out to be good he will have the shortest arm length for a good Center EVER!. and he plays the lowest value position on the team. now maybe a team like the Bengals who have a much better roster can take a chance but not us for many reasons.

1. if we take an OL in rd 1 ( god help me) then were not picking a Center in rd 2. 2 out of our top 4 picks on the OL is ridiculous. 

2. if we dont take an OL in rd 1 or 2 then we need a young backup  thats better than Fenney and McDermott. and were not going to use a 2nd and a 3rd on the OL. 

No we're not. Mocks may do, and teams possibly do, but we'll never know for sure.

• Upvote 1