Seahawks Turn down Jets, 10th Pick for Metcalf not Happening

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Metcalf was never going to be traded here.  

So far JD keeps swinging and missing.  I hope he knows there are no bonus points for "being close" to successful trades. 

As a GM, he'll be judged by the WR's we field, not the ones he tried and failed to acquire.

At this point, I doubt he has anyone left to trade with at reasonable cost, the entire NFL sees he's desperate for a #1 WR and they'll keep their prices high knowing they have all the leverage now over JD.

Seattle is holding out for our #4 pick and JD just might be willing to 'strike' and get Zach a legit WR.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

The article is a bit misleading and seems tainted to point out the Jets fail again.

The reality is and they state it - Seattle has no intention of trading him, at least at this time. Maybe that changes in the future and maybe what the Jets offered is accepted.

To say the Jets fail is just an attempt to be negative on the Jets. 

How dare you spoil the SOJF their fun!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

The article is a bit misleading and seems tainted to point out the Jets fail again.

The reality is and they state it - Seattle has no intention of trading him, at least at this time. Maybe that changes in the future and maybe what the Jets offered is accepted.

To say the Jets fail is just an attempt to be negative on the Jets. 

My first thought was this is Seattle trying to get teams to budge. But seeing as though this is a Jets writer, your takeaway makes more sense.

11 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Seattle is holding out for our #4 pick and JD just might be willing to 'strike' and get Zach a legit WR.

Seattle may be holding out for the 4th pick,  but you failed to mention that Joe Douglas is holding out NOT to trade a first round pick.

IMO, Douglas has the upper hand here, whether it be for Metcalf or anyone else. No other team, who needs a WR, can afford both the draft picks and the contract. And by many accounts, there is more than one team looking to, or who would be willing to, trade such a player.

This puts JD in the catbird seat.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, derp said:

Isn’t the report not that the Jets had an offer rejected but that Seattle isn’t even taking offers?

Yup. But we are talking about the Jets and thus we got rejected for a trade we were planning on making. Apparently everyone knows we are going to offer the 10th pick.

44 minutes ago, hit its said:

Seattle refuses to get fleeced again…You can’t blame them, taking back their own pick is laughable 

Trading for a number 10 is a possibly disastrous situation for Seattle. Imagine if by some miracle DK came here and flourished yet again, while Seattle struggles with their #10. 

This is what they would be left with, overpaying Jamal again, having given up 2 number ones. Having given up DK for an unknown, and having been robbed over and over by what has been a terrible organization for over a decade. 

Unwinnable I'd say

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

My first thought was this is Seattle trying to get teams to budge. But seeing as though this is a Jets writer, your takeaway makes more sense.

Yup - Mike Rosenstein - never heard of him.

If it was that DJ character I would get it.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So far JD keeps swinging and missing.  I hope he knows there are no bonus points for "being close" to successful trades. 

As a GM, he'll be judged by the WR's we field, not the ones he tried and failed to acquire.

At this point, I doubt he has anyone left to trade with at reasonable cost, the entire NFL sees he's desperate for a #1 WR and they'll keep their prices high knowing they have all the leverage now over JD.

Let's play the game again. What would YOU be willing to give to Seattle to secure Metcalf? It can't be a "swing and a miss" if he tried and the perceived ask was too high. That was a "couldn't reach like minds".

Me, I do not give up more than this year's 10. And that is with a new contract in tow for DK. Can't be a rental.

Again, what do you feel is fair to the Jets to give up?

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He was never going to be traded here because he was probably not on the block in the first place. Lots of rumors fly in this league and this was probably one of them. When it comes to JD and WR's he could probably sign I don't blame him for T Hill because T Hill had an agenda he wanted to play in Florida where his family is and that's that it really had nothing to do with the Jets or the Jets long standing reputation of sh*t which happens to be changing for the better. 

If you want JD to grossly over pay for a WR or any player for that matter he's not going to do it. If Seattle turned down the number 10 pick like is stated here that's fine let them deal with Metcalf's Salary Demands the market is out of control and he's going to want way more than he's worth and Seattle's going to once again have rotten egg all over their stupid faces.

The Jets have the chance to land 2 offensive playmakers in this draft that's what we should judge JD on not things he cant control.

For us to give up the Number 10 Pick that receiver better be throwing up some 1500 yard seasons not 1000 per in 16 games like Metcalf. I also worry about Metcalf's health if the guy was roiding out early in his career he will at some point begin to break down, they all do.

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Exactly....would have been like the Mets trading another young player to the Angels two years after the Nolan Ryan trade. Apologies to @Lith @Scott Dierking @32EBoozer and other Mets fans for the angst.?

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Exactly....would have been like the Mets trading another young player to the Angels two years after the Nolan Ryan trade. Apologies to @Lith @Scott Dierking @32EBoozer and other Mets fans for the angst.?

Amy GM that closes down negotiations because of a previously perceived bad deal (on their part), is a fool and should be fired. You take the best deal, even if you were swindled in the past.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1