Seahawks Turn down Jets, 10th Pick for Metcalf not Happening

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Tennessee has a cap problem they need to resolve. AJ Brown is going to want to be paid or traded. They can try to force him to play under his current rookie deal and tag him but so far this off season teams have caved to demands. Seems to be the new way.

I don't know if Tenn has other ways to resolve the cap.

I'm pretty sure I saw on Twitter yesterday that Tenn can clear north of $30mil in cap space next year with the releases of Robert Woods and Tannehill. 

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's ShoCkinG ThAt TeAMs liKe SeAtTle and TenEsSee do NoT waNt to TRadE 24 Year oLd ReCeiVerS.  

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.  Only Jet fans think they do.

Like I said, the only way DK, AJ or McLauren are available is if there are huge red flags with those players.  

So in short, if any of these players are available, you dont trade for them because there is a reason they are available.

Do your magic in the draft Joe Douglas!!!  We believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Like I said, the only way DK, AJ or McLauren are available is if there are huge red flags with those players.  

So in short, if any of these players are available, you dont trade for them because there is a reason they are available.

There’s a very big and clear reason why they might become available: their potential salaries. Teams may not want, or be able to, pay these $25M+/year deals a year or two down the road, and see getting something now for them as better than potentially getting a third round comp pick in 2025. 

• Upvote 1

One of DK, AJB or Scary Terry will have to let their club know they're not signing any new deal this offseason. 

That will force the team to weigh the risk of said player going into their final season and never re-signing, or having to use the franchise tag next offseason.

And now with all of these new receiver deals, that franchise tag is likely going to be expensive.

I feel like if it's going to happen, it'll happen the week before the draft. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

The bad thing isn't that he keeps missing. The bad thing is he keeps trying despite having a gang of draft picks in a draft loaded with WR talent.

Mark my words, there will be a couple of WRs in this draft that he will pass on and they will go on to be studs for other teams. Then JN will be complaining about not having any talented WRs and wanting to trade for one before the trade deadline. But yet they will be saying Douglas did another knockout job in the draft.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Metcalf was never going to be traded here.  

So far JD keeps swinging and missing.  I hope he knows there are no bonus points for "being close" to successful trades. 

As a GM, he'll be judged by the WR's we field, not the ones he tried and failed to acquire.

At this point, I doubt he has anyone left to trade with at reasonable cost, the entire NFL sees he's desperate for a #1 WR and they'll keep their prices high knowing they have all the leverage now over JD.

How is JD supposed to aquire a #1 WR if he keeps getting rejected? Seems to me like a product of the last 2 decades, not JD

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Metcalf was never going to be traded here.  

So far JD keeps swinging and missing.  I hope he knows there are no bonus points for "being close" to successful trades. 

As a GM, he'll be judged by the WR's we field, not the ones he tried and failed to acquire.

At this point, I doubt he has anyone left to trade with at reasonable cost, the entire NFL sees he's desperate for a #1 WR and they'll keep their prices high knowing they have all the leverage now over JD.

How can you swing and miss when nobody pitched the ball? This is a complete non-story.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

How can you swing and miss when nobody pitched the ball? This is a complete non-story.

40 minutes ago, Hex said:

How is JD supposed to acquire a #1 WR if he keeps getting rejected? Seems to me like a product of the last 2 decades, not JD

That's his job, isn't it? 

You may excuse him for failing to get it done, but ultimately he will be judged for it's results on the field.

"But, I tried" is not a good way to keep your job, long term.  

It's not like he just got hired.  He's been here a while now, and almost universally has missed on his numerous WR decisions (Moore being the only real success, limited tho it is) so far.

If he doesn't change that, it may in part be his undoing here in NY.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The only way these young guys get traded is if the negotiations break down and the only option is to acquire picks .I can see AJ Brown doing that but I'm not sure about Metcalf. Pretty sure Tyreek Hill did that because he wanted to play where he lives.

While I see the need to upgrade the Wr room I do not see why we are interested in trading for Metcalf or any of the mentioned Wrs unless it is an absolute no brainer. Moore looked like he was on the verge of dominance before he got hurt and I have to believe that Corey Davis will bounce back to his usual self and/or Mims works out.  We added a solid #3 in Berrios and he made huge strides this season and with the hope he gets even better. I would go with Corey Davis, Moore, Berrios, Mims, 1st or 2nd round draft pick, 3-5th round draft pick, and maybe a vet cap causality. Traded players rarely work out and especially with us. Metcalf had some great success with Russell Wilson but that doesnt guarantee he will with Zach. Are we willing to give a gazillion dollars and a high draft pick to a Wr that has shown promise ( yet 2/3 seasons are under 1000 yards) but also complained when things didnt go his way? Maybe its nothing, but also his most recent interview stating that his diet is coffee and candy? I mean I think I'd have concern if I were to give an enormous  contract plus major draft capital for a player who doesnt have the decision making skills to shut his mouth before he looks ridiculously immature or uncaring about his personal health when his personal health directly affects his performance 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You may excuse him for failing to get it done, but ultimately he will be judged for it's results on the field.

It's not like he just got hired.  He's been here a while now, and almost universally has missed on his numerous WR decisions (Moore being the only real success, limited tho it is) so far.

There was no offer. The Seahawks, per the report, refused to take any phone calls on Metcalf. What's Douglas supposed to do, kidnap him? This is phony journalism at its finest. I could write a story that states: "Joe Douglas was prepared to give up the 10th pick for C.D. Lamb, but the Cowboys are not open to a trade." Apparently, you would consider this a "swing and a miss" by Douglas. Hill, he missed on, because Hill was being moved. Metcalf is not being offered. It's pretty simple, really.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

There’s a very big and clear reason why they might become available: their potential salaries. Teams may not want, or be able to, pay these $25M+/year deals a year or two down the road, and see getting something now for them as better than potentially getting a third round comp pick in 2025. 

If these guys are as good as you think and have no red flags, you get rid of other guys to pay these guys.  None of these guys contracts are even up right now.  Teams have a whole other year to cut bait with other guys if salary cap is an issue.

None of these guys are leaving their respective teams.  Lets just move on and watch the magic Joe Douglas pulls to get a great wr or two in this draft.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If these guys are as good as you think and have no red flags, you get rid of other guys to pay these guys.  None of these guys contracts are even up right now.  Teams have a whole other year to cut bait with other guys if salary cap is an issue.

None of these guys are leaving their respective teams.  Lets just move on and watch the magic Joe Douglas pulls to get a great wr or two in this draft.

Don't forget to wiggle back and forth with that J.D bobblehead between your legs.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

You make a good point. But what do you suggest he would do instead? His only hope is the draft at this point. Plus the reason it isn't working is because of his trade genius in previous seasons

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Good, at this point I’d sooner draft one and not send picks and give the player 25 mill per.

I totally agree.  Felt that way with Tyreek Hill as well.  We need to hit those picks.  Take Drake London at 10 and pay him a rookie contract or if you prefer one of the kids from Ohio State.  Use the money elsewhere and maybe hit on one of the 2nds we were willing to trade as well.  I don't understand the thinking of trading high value assets and then having to pay a massive contract unless we are talking QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yup...

My job is hard - shouldn't be an excuse for not being good at your job...

If he doesn't get one of these guys he better damn sure nail the draft pick...

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, hit its said:

This doesnt say anything other than rumor is they wouldnt accept the 10th overall pick.

And no one fan the Seahawk said this.  Just like no one on the Jets has admitted to offering the 10th overall pick

6 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Maybe, but JD had been the master of trades.  We do know he wont lose a deal and wont be desperate to make a ridiculous deal.  He has never been desperate before. Thats how you get 2 # ones for a safety 

I keep hearing about what a master of trades JD is. We keep “winning” all these trades, but what do we have to show for it besides Ashton Davis and  a RG (AVT)?
We’re certainly not winning on the field.

• Thumb Down 1