Seahawks Turn down Jets, 10th Pick for Metcalf not Happening

Tim Weaver 

April 6, 2022 7:00 am PT

Sometimes the trades you don’t make are the most important ones. That’s why it’s reassuring to hear that the Seattle Seahawks are not interested in dealing the best player on their team.

According to a report by Howard Eskin at 94WIP, the Seahawks recently turned down a huge trade proposal by the New York Jets. They were offering the No. 10 overall pick (one after Seattle) in exchange for wide receiver D.K. Metcalf. This franchise has made some very-bad moves over the last few weeks, but at least Pete Carroll and John Schneider know enough not to even consider sending No. 14 away – per MSN.

“The Jets were going to offer, and Seattle knew it, the No. 10 pick in the fist round. I’ve been told by multiple people when somebody calls Seattle about D.K. Metcalf (they said) ‘We’re not trading him. We’re not trading him.’ They don’t even take the offer,” Eskin said. “They just say ‘Nope’ and they just shut it right down. You can’t even make an offer right now.”

Good.

There’s been a ton of speculation about Seattle potentially trading Metcalf, but the vast majority of it has come from fans of teams who need a stud wide receiver.

• Upvote 2

Could very well be true. Given their cap situation I didn't think it made a lot of sense for them. That said, if their plan was to try to trade up to #4 from #9 to land a QB they're interested in, this could be misinformation being pushed. 

The only way we know for sure he's not being traded is if they extend him. Until then, I'm taking this w/a grain of salt from under my balls. @Jetsfan80

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, hit its said:

This is just simply regurgitating Eskin... Who SAID when JD called they simply said He isn't being traded... but they did the same thing with Wilson... doesn't mean the Jets were rejected... they didn't even offer anything yet. Seattle is just waiting.

30 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Seattle is holding out for our #4 pick and JD just might be willing to 'strike' and get Zach a legit WR.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that hope.  But I guess we'll see.  Plenty of time before the draft as yet.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Tim Weaver 

April 6, 2022 7:00 am PT

Sometimes the trades you don’t make are the most important ones. That’s why it’s reassuring to hear that the Seattle Seahawks are not interested in dealing the best player on their team.

According to a report by Howard Eskin at 94WIP, the Seahawks recently turned down a huge trade proposal by the New York Jets. They were offering the No. 10 overall pick (one after Seattle) in exchange for wide receiver D.K. Metcalf. This franchise has made some very-bad moves over the last few weeks, but at least Pete Carroll and John Schneider know enough not to even consider sending No. 14 away – per MSN.

“The Jets were going to offer, and Seattle knew it, the No. 10 pick in the fist round. I’ve been told by multiple people when somebody calls Seattle about D.K. Metcalf (they said) ‘We’re not trading him. We’re not trading him.’ They don’t even take the offer,” Eskin said. “They just say ‘Nope’ and they just shut it right down. You can’t even make an offer right now.”

Good.

There’s been a ton of speculation about Seattle potentially trading Metcalf, but the vast majority of it has come from fans of teams who need a stud wide receiver.

Again Read what Eskin says... The Jets were going to make an offer as were other teams and Seattle said no we aren't listening to offers.... Saying the Jets got rejected is implying they head the offer and said no... Big Embellishment and inferences going on

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Let's play the game again. What would YOU be willing to give to Seattle to secure Metcalf?

Nothing, I don't want Metcalf.

I'd be willing to give pick #10 to the 'Ders plus a couple of late rounders/future picks as needed for Terry McLaurin.

If that's a no-go, I would draft Wilson at #10 instead.

It can't be a "swing and a miss" if he tried and the perceived ask was too high. That was a "couldn't reach like minds".

No WR = Miss.  

This isn't horseshoes or hand grenades: close and aw shucks tried is just as much of a miss as not having tried in the first place.

Me, I do not give up more than this year's 10. And that is with a new contract in tow for DK. Can't be a rental.

Again, what do you feel is fair to the Jets to give up?

See top, seems we're similar in willing to part with assets generally.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

He was never going to be traded here because he was probably not on the block in the first place. Lots of rumors fly in this league and this was probably one of them.

Quite possible.

13 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

When it comes to JD and WR's he could probably sign I don't blame him for T Hill because T Hill had an agenda he wanted to play in Florida where his family is and that's that it really had nothing to do with the Jets or the Jets long standing reputation of sh*t which happens to be changing for the better. 

If you want JD to grossly over pay for a WR or any player for that matter he's not going to do it. If Seattle turned down the number 10 pick like is stated here that's fine let them deal with Metcalf's Salary Demands the market is out of control and he's going to want way more than he's worth and Seattle's going to once again have rotten egg all over their stupid faces.

The Jets have the chance to land 2 offensive playmakers in this draft that's what we should judge JD on not things he cant control.

For us to give up the Number 10 Pick that receiver better be throwing up some 1500 yard seasons not 1000 per in 16 games like Metcalf. I also worry about Metcalf's health if the guy was roiding out early in his career he will at some point begin to break down, they all do.

It's not about "blame".  It's simply an A/B question.

Either Zach has a #1 WR to support him in 2022.  Or he doesn't.

If he does, be it from a trade, a draft pick, or one of the gusy we already have some of you all seem to think are #1 material (Moore), then fine.

If not, he failed, for a third year, to field a descent WR room to support his QB's.

And ultimately, he'll be held responsible by ownership for that failing if it comes to pass.

P.S. For the record, I don't want Metcalk, I want McLaurin.  Who should be cheaper to boot IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

30 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Sounds like theyre reluctant to trade him period. We cant be the only team who has called. And it sounds like the Jets offering #10 is a guess.

If we werent willing to trade #10 for Hill, I doubt we do that for DK. 

You can bet one of the other teams are the Eagles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Metcalf was never going to be traded here.  

So far JD keeps swinging and missing.  I hope he knows there are no bonus points for "being close" to successful trades. 

As a GM, he'll be judged by the WR's we field, not the ones he tried and failed to acquire.

At this point, I doubt he has anyone left to trade with at reasonable cost, the entire NFL sees he's desperate for a #1 WR and they'll keep their prices high knowing they have all the leverage now over JD.

The bad thing isn't that he keeps missing. The bad thing is he keeps trying despite having a gang of draft picks in a draft loaded with WR talent.

Mark my words, there will be a couple of WRs in this draft that he will pass on and they will go on to be studs for other teams. Then JN will be complaining about not having any talented WRs and wanting to trade for one before the trade deadline. But yet they will be saying Douglas did another knockout job in the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

So far JD keeps swinging and missing.  I hope he knows there are no bonus points for "being close" to successful trades. 

As a GM, he'll be judged by the WR's we field, not the ones he tried and failed to acquire.

At this point, I doubt he has anyone left to trade with at reasonable cost, the entire NFL sees he's desperate for a #1 WR and they'll keep their prices high knowing they have all the leverage now over JD.

Maybe, but JD had been the master of trades.  We do know he wont lose a deal and wont be desperate to make a ridiculous deal.  He has never been desperate before. Thats how you get 2 # ones for a safety 

17 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Maybe, but JD had been the master of trades.  We do know he wont lose a deal and wont be desperate to make a ridiculous deal.  He has never been desperate before. Thats how you get 2 # ones for a safety 

A Master of selling our poor or problematic talent to them for lots of picks, aye.

Not in any way a master of selling our picks for other teams worthy talent.

Yes. It's JD's fault that he can't force other GMs to trade with him.  Unbelievable.  I guess JD should have put a gun to other GM's heads and made them an offer they couldn't refuse?   I am not sure what you and the other SOJ/JD sucks crowd would have had JD do - except use the benefit of hindsight to argue the Jets could have drafted X instead of X (quite easy to do after the fact).  I hate to break the news to  you, but Chase Claypool is not the silver bullet for the Jets receiving corps.  

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's ShoCkinG ThAt TeAMs liKe SeAtTle and TenEsSee do NoT waNt to TRadE 24 Year oLd ReCeiVerS.  

Tennessee has a cap problem they need to resolve. AJ Brown is going to want to be paid or traded. They can try to force him to play under his current rookie deal and tag him but so far this off season teams have caved to demands. Seems to be the new way.

I don't know what options Tenn has to resolve the cap issue but they have under $2 million in space available this year and just over $10 million next. I don't think they can even sign their draft picks as it stands.