Jelani "WTF" Woods

Seriously? Am I just not allowed to have nice things -- that's just an outcome I have to come to terms with...? 

My day 3 tiger beat crusty sock dream is suddenly TE1 and destined for round 1?!?! 

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuux

Virginia TE Jelani Woods receives a perfect 10 on his Relative Athletic Score. 

Woods (6'7"/259) has been climbing up draft boards as of recently with some mocks having him as a first-rounder, and a perfect RAS is going to help even more. He had an elite result on every athletic test except the shuttles which makes him the best tested tight end out the 998 since 1987. He has an absurd amount of strength, is athletic for his size, and has sticky hands. Very good chance we see him as the first tight end taken off the board.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You think he will go late round 1 now? Man with his size, his potential and the Jets having good tight ends on the roster now this would be such a good spot for him. Could you imagine a 6'7" tight end that comes here and can learn and grow without immediate pressure? Crazy but would be nice.

That was the dream until about 10 mins ago. Take Woods in the middle rounds, develop him for a year and then you’ve got the megatron equivalent at TE.  The man is a total mutant. 

• Upvote 4

There's something weird when a guy goes from being a Day 3 prospect to a Round 1 prospect after running some sprints for a RAS score, right?

Either he was incorrectly scouted all along and ignored or something weird is going on.

EDIT: I just hit 4 or 5 sites quickly to see their current TE rankings.....

1688958437_ScreenShot2022-04-06at9_16_44PM.png.8f4c995f654e9cb147e296970a7a0ce5.png

1872684863_ScreenShot2022-04-06at9_17_12PM.png.668a3388e0599bb346ac2cfdfb2a6a02.png

436961051_ScreenShot2022-04-06at9_18_19PM.png.328493f4a9299d181aa7d80cfcbcb537.png

6333195_ScreenShot2022-04-06at9_20_18PM.png.f0daa73e0453f64701161b86605989cf.png

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

That was the dream until about 10 mins ago. Take Woods in the middle rounds, develop him for a year and then you’ve got the megatron equivalent at TE.  The man is a total mutant. 

I read a profile of his that said blocking isn't a strength. Good he is 6'7" get him down the field for some jump balls.

Would you take him early round 2 if he is there?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There's something weird when a guy goes from being a Day 3 prospect to a Round 1 prospect after running some sprints for a RAS score, right?

Either he was incorrectly scouted all along and ignored or something weird is going on.

EDIT: I just hit 4 or 5 sites quickly to see their current TE rankings.....

1688958437_ScreenShot2022-04-06at9_16_44PM.png.8f4c995f654e9cb147e296970a7a0ce5.png

1872684863_ScreenShot2022-04-06at9_17_12PM.png.668a3388e0599bb346ac2cfdfb2a6a02.png

436961051_ScreenShot2022-04-06at9_18_19PM.png.328493f4a9299d181aa7d80cfcbcb537.png

6333195_ScreenShot2022-04-06at9_20_18PM.png.f0daa73e0453f64701161b86605989cf.png

there's an interesting discussion in there.... starting with -- does the "draft community" really have an all-inclusive finger on the pulse of draft boards? Are they just catching up with what teams have "felt about a player" for some time... or, is it maybe that it took till Feb/March for teams to do an autopsy on his film being that the program/history didn't necessitate it in the fall.  

There's definitely examples of players who did wind up with a meteoric rise throughout the draft circuit (Marcus Davenport) and those who were total twitter hot air (Hakeem Butler)

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I read a profile of his that said blocking isn't a strength. Good he is 6'7" get him down the field for some jump balls.

Would you take him early round 2 if he is there?

IMO his blocking is nothing to sneeze at. Considering he looked like this just a couple years ago (below) as a QB highschool recruit, he's has developed effectively/well during his time at OSU/UVA. He's willing and able blocker -- the potential is there. 

v6ivmancs5vxqwx5pw0u

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Seriously? Am I just not allowed to have nice things -- that's just an outcome I have to come to terms with...? 

My day 3 tiger beat crusty sock dream is suddenly TE1 and destined for round 1?!?! 

He is an intriguing prospect. But isn't the question of people not knowing if he can actually run NFL routes - considering how Virginia Tech's offense was structured - a massive red flag for a franchise that needs immediate quality contributors? 

I don't think the Jets can afford the luxury of a gamble in the position that we are in now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

You were premature again my man...  Biggest mistake you can make is putting your desired player as your avatar before the draft... GUARANTEED JINX. You only have yourself to blame here lol 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gramsci said:

He is an intriguing prospect. But isn't the question of people not knowing if he can actually run NFL routes - considering how Virginia Tech's offense was structured - a massive red flag for a franchise that needs immediate quality contributors? 

I don't think the Jets can afford the luxury of a gamble in the position that we are in now.

Day 3 guys usually aren't going to step in an contribute right away. It would have been a really nice stash to groom behind Uzomah and Conklin. If he's a R1 or R2 guy we probably have to let him go.

• Upvote 1

Woods is very intriguing.  I doubt he's go 1st round no matter the buzz.  He should be there top of the 2nd, no doubt.  I dont really see a TE going 1st round this draft, I know there is buzz around McBride but none of these dudes display that like crazy downfield ability to get open.  This class seems more like, the slip open late dudes, or get open on the drags and slants where they could just body up smaller defenders or mismatch on LB/S.  Which is great, and translates early but is it enough to be anything more than what just signed this offseason?  Idk.    I havent done a ton of digging on the TE's this year just because they're rather unspectacular IMO but I definitely dont think there is a consensus 1st round guy.  I think even McBride, it's like you want it to happen and folks are forcing the issue and while he has some down fields plays on the tape, I cant help when I've watched of McBride, I felt like I was seeing Amaro at Texas Tech.  Woods obviously presents something slightly different but I dont see anyone of them going 1st round.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

You think he will go late round 1 now? Man with his size, his potential and the Jets having good tight ends on the roster now this would be such a good spot for him. Could you imagine a 6'7" tight end that comes here and can learn and grow without immediate pressure? Crazy but would be nice.

Would love it.  Definitely want the Jets to get Jelani.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

you, sir, need to stop airing out your favorite guys. every year... every year.

now tell me how much you love, love, love G Wilson and he will be our pick at 4.... 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

Sounds like a Patriot to me.

Ive been wanting Jelani in the fourth for ages. So much for that idea. I doubt he’ll be a first rounder though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Woods is very intriguing.  I doubt he's go 1st round no matter the buzz.  He should be there top of the 2nd, no doubt.  I dont really see a TE going 1st round this draft, I know there is buzz around McBride but none of these dudes display that like crazy downfield ability to get open.  This class seems more like, the slip open late dudes, or get open on the drags and slants where they could just body up smaller defenders or mismatch on LB/S.  Which is great, and translates early but is it enough to be anything more than what just signed this offseason?  Idk.    I havent done a ton of digging on the TE's this year just because they're rather unspectacular IMO but I definitely dont think there is a consensus 1st round guy.  I think even McBride, it's like you want it to happen and folks are forcing the issue and while he has some down fields plays on the tape, I cant help when I've watched of McBride, I felt like I was seeing Amaro at Texas Tech.  Woods obviously presents something slightly different but I dont see anyone of them going 1st round.

Wouldnt the lack of quality TEs only serve to push WTF up draft boards though?  

He seems like a worthy late 1st rounder:  Get taken by a contending team who can afford a luxury pick and you get that 5th year option to boot.  

Damn he’d be perfect in the next X-Men Marvel movie playing Galactus

89BD6B03-F35D-410F-B3CD-89BE7181BE2C.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Grandy said:

The important thing about having such an incredible RAS is his position. 

The position with the biggest correlation between Athleticism and success is TE (even backed up by the RAS guy himself). Personally would love to take a chance on a guy like Woods.

Great point.  Think back to inexperienced high school basketball players like Antonio Gates who went on to become Pro Bowl TEs in the NFL.  It's hard to predict who can make that transition but there's no doubt that a unique size/speed/athleticism profile sets the stage for it to happen.

I'm guessing Jelani "WTF" Woods will be there at #38 but not at #69.

• Upvote 3