Jelani "WTF" Woods

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wouldnt the lack of quality TEs only serve to push WTF up draft boards though?  

He seems like a worthy late 1st rounder:  Get taken by a contending team who can afford a luxury pick and you get that 5th year option to boot.  

I dont think so.  At least, there is no precedent set that this would happen.  Just 2 years ago, I would say it was a similar TE class.  Cole Kmet was the 1st off the board at 43.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

The player Woods beat out for the highest ever RAS score among tight ends? Anthony Becht.

Not remotely comparing them as prospects, just thought it was interesting.

Which is strange because Becht was as un-athletic  as they come. 

31 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Which is strange because Becht was as un-athletic  as they come. 

I looked - guys only get scored on the traits they do the testing for. Becht never ran a 40. Great jumps, agility drills, and he was big. It's one of the things with RAS that has led to other guys getting high scores when they duck the drills they won't perform well in.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Grandy said:

The important thing about having such an incredible RAS is his position. 

The position with the biggest correlation between Athleticism and success is TE (even backed up by the RAS guy himself). Personally would love to take a chance on a guy like Woods.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can you share where this came from?

7 minutes ago, Grandy said:

This is the RAS guy.

The RAS guy isn't saying what you are saying. You are saying TE has the biggest correlation between athleticism and success. The RAS guy is saying TE has the biggest correlation between lack of athleticism and failure.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gramsci said:

He is an intriguing prospect. But isn't the question of people not knowing if he can actually run NFL routes - considering how Virginia Tech's offense was structured - a massive red flag for a franchise that needs immediate quality contributors? 

I don't think the Jets can afford the luxury of a gamble in the position that we are in now.

Once we signed Uzomah and Conklin we were not taking another TE until probably the 4th or 5th round.  He is no gamble or luxury in those rounds at all.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The RAS guy isn't saying what you are saying. You are saying TE has the biggest correlation between athleticism and success. The RAS guy is saying TE has the biggest correlation between lack of athleticism and failure.

I think him saying "Tight end is the most dependent on raw athleticism of any position" is incredibly similar to what I said. Even then, saying that TE has the biggest correlation between lack of athleticism and failure accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

If, unlike any other position, not 1 TE that tested poorly in recent times became successful; doesn't that mean there's a correlation between high athleticism and success because it's literally necessary to not fail in the first place?

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I think him saying "Tight end is the most dependent on raw athleticism of any position" is incredibly similar to what I said. Even then, saying that TE has the biggest correlation between lack of athleticism and failure accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

If, unlike any other position, not 1 TE that tested poorly in recent times became successful; doesn't that mean there's a correlation between high athleticism and success because it's literally necessary to not fail in the first place?

I see it as an important distinction.

If he said that there has never been a TE with > X.xx RAS who wasn't a very good NFL TE, it would mean more for Jalani Woods as a prospect. Instead, what he's saying means more for Jalen Wydermyer as a prospect and the likelihood of him being a failure.

40 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I see it as an important distinction.

If he said that there has never been a TE with > X.xx RAS who wasn't a very good NFL TE, it would mean more for Jalani Woods as a prospect. Instead, what he's saying means more for Jalen Wydermyer as a prospect and the likelihood of him being a failure.

Yeah the correlation of TE success with athleticism is heavily based on the fact that it's so essential. The argument of it having the most athleticism based success kinda wins by default because of the floor. There's no such thing as an end all scouting method, but TE seems to be the position that is most based around pure athleticism. 

I do think what's so striking about Woods isn't just that his score was really high, but best of all time high. The best TE's tend to be these physical freaks, and he's been tested as that so far. 

Aside from the physical attributes, I'd love to have a #0 on the Jets.  Can't remember one ever being on the team.  Not sure it's even allowed anymore.  Kenny Burrough (who was the final person to wear #00) recently passed away.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/24/former-oilers-wideout-ken-burrough-dies-at-73/

image.png.045c5106b0cb0f9b1ae986e81f761e64.png

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Day 3 guys usually aren't going to step in an contribute right away. It would have been a really nice stash to groom behind Uzomah and Conklin. If he's a R1 or R2 guy we probably have to let him go.

Ya, it was more to due with him being hyped as TE1. Which doesn't really mean much in this class to be honest, they are all a bit meh from what i've seen and been reading.