Rationale for CB at 4

Dinamite

These seems to be a lot of smoke about the jets going CB at 4 (probably Sauce Gardner).  This is from mock drafts and some insiders.   I would hope for an edge, but perhaps the 3 top edges are gone by then or jets think CB1 is better than edge 3 or 4.

While I understand the BPA argument, what is the rationale for going CB over OT at that spot then? In both cases, the jets might be displacing good starters.  In fact, there may be more uncertainty at OT with Becton/Fant, then at CB with Reed/Hall/Echols.  Just curious on how people would feel if CB is the pick.

I'm fine with Sauce at 4. Reed is a good signing, but he has some size limitations and may ultimately be better off in the slot. Hall and Echols are ok young players, but not the caliber of player that makes you pass on Gardner. Additionally, I'm more confident in Gardner panning out as an elite player than Hutchinson, KT or Ikem (who are the other names you generally see associated with the number 4 pick). 

• Upvote 1

Sauce is probably a top 5 pick in every draft and is a legit blue chip prospect with a fairly safe possibility to hit on his all-pro potential. It's either that or possibly take the 3rd or 4th best edge, even though that's a more pressing need. The edges are risky at the end of the day because you don't have a dominant physical prospect with high production or polish.

The argument for tackle is simply not there and it would be a bad utilization of resources to go there even though I really like a couple of the OT prospects and am generally a fan of constantly upgrading the o-line because the run blocking is crucial for this offensive system to thrive. We can still accomplish that without burning top 10 picks at it.

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2022 at 4:29 PM, SickJetFan said:

not sold on Sauce.....he doesnt seem to me to be a slam dunk.

level of play

doesnt seem great in run support...get it CBs dont always need to be elite at that but taken 4th overall he better be a good ballwasher too.

Interesting because I sort of hate drafting corners high especially with this defense but I see him as a can't miss prospect who could become the best CB in football. Would much rather him that Kayvon soon to be a bust

On 4/7/2022 at 12:24 PM, kdels62 said:

There's a difference between saying that the Jets need to take a CB at 4 and saying that the Jets should take Sauce Gardner at 4. If Sauce wasn't in this draft and the CBs available were Stingley and McDuffie, I wouldn't want them to draft CB. The difference between that hypo and reality is that Sauce is an elite prospect. He's huge with a great wingspan, he shut down Jameson Williams, he's a leader, he has elite athleticism and he has that crazy work ethic. There are no red flags with him. He could bust but it feels unlikely. His upside is best CB in football and his downside seems to be "good starter". 

I really like Sauce but I really want us to go Edge or OT at 4.

But you’re really selling me on Sauce…..damn you

• 3 weeks later...

Returning to this discussion as it seems Jets are selecting between Sauce and Ikem (and kicking DE and WR for later).  Should be an interesting debate.  Not sure who they have ranked higher as BPA, but it may end up being whoever Houston does not draft.

I think some things to consider to justify taking Gardner is that even though Sauce,Reed, and Carter would be our main 3 vs most teams, if we're playing against a team with 2 tall WR's out wide we could gameplan by having Reed as our Nickel with Sauce and Hall outside. Hall was a major asset out there in our win vs Cincinnati.

And last thing.. even if Hall isn't starting, I think he could come in on Dime packages manning up a flexed out Tight End or just match up on a bigger target on those 3rd downs when we're playing man covg. I would much rather have him guard a Waller, Gesicki type than any of our linebackers or safeties currently. 

• Upvote 1