Bryce Huff?

Good find, reading through his twitter now, although haven't seen this applied to these players yet - 

• Arnold Ebikete (spelling?)
  • Boye Mafe
  • Sam Williams
  • Jermaine Johnson II
  • David Ojabo

Also has anyone found any Bryce Huff athletic testing? I haven't found combine or pro day #'s, and dude wasn't invited to the senior bowl. Just out of curiosity, I'd want to know the 3 cone, broad/vert, 10 yd split and arm length. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Injuries really destroyed this team last year.

A healthy Jets team is a massive upgrade on its own from last year.

The problem is last year wasn’t a one off for injuries. This has consistently been one of the most injured teams in recent memory. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Good find, reading through his twitter now, although haven't seen this applied to these players yet - 

• Arnold Ebikete (spelling?)
  • Boye Mafe
  • Sam Williams
  • Jermaine Johnson II
  • David Ojabo

Also has anyone found any Bryce Huff athletic testing? I haven't found combine or pro day #'s, and dude wasn't invited to the senior bowl. Just out of curiosity, I'd want to know the 3 cone, broad/vert, 10 yd split and arm length. 

Correlating this with PFF stats: 

-Then Ebiketie is between Thibs and Bonitto

-Karlaftis is just behind Hutch

- Sam Williams and Jermaine Johnson are between Hutch and Walker but closer to Walker than Hutch. 

- Ojabo is a behind Karlaftis but higher than JJ

- Mafe is slightly ahead of Thibs

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

- Sam Williams and Jermaine Johnson are between Hutch and Walker but closer to Walker than Hutch. 

I think I have more concerns about JJ busting than Thibs. That Ebiketie dude intrigues, though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

The problem is last year wasn’t a one off for injuries. This has consistently been one of the most injured teams in recent memory. 

Year 2 of the Fancy-pants health team running everything will hopefully start showing more results than half the team being on IR by the end.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Mafe or Ebiketie is my preferred 2nd round guys if they make it there. They both pass the agility portions and Mafe also had good explosion numbers, esp pro day vert. Both are guys I think can bend around the edge, but have minimal technique and are probably starters by year 2 or 3 if things go right.

Karlaftis has good technique and understanding of leverage, but he's a power rusher through and through. That's also fine, he can win that way at the next level. He just is an average speed rusher who should really focus on the power and technique since that's his skillset imo.

Ojabo looks better on tape than his measureables stay. With the injury though, wouldn't touch him with a 1st and I think someone bites on him by the 2nd, which I don't think the Jets are in position to redshirt a guy so wouldn't touch him there.

Sam Williams I have an irrational appreciation for. I think he's a solid pro, but I don't see 10+ sack potential in him at least not on a regular basis. He's a little stiff bending around the edge but has good acceleration and straight line speed.

Bonitto might be the value-guy to grab. Above 7 3-cone, but otherwise his numbers are solid and win rate was high. Probably a great value guy if he makes it to the 3rd or if we acquire a pick in the bottom of the 2nd to me.

• Upvote 2

The Bryce Huff stuff was obvious in the rapid shift the Defense took after the first few games. Essentially, the DL was pretty good at getting pressure with Huff playing just over half the snaps available. Then JFM got injured and his snaps got cut while he recovered so Bryce Huff played more. Teams adjusted and starting running at Huff. Huff struggled with the extra snaps and got injured. He never fully recovered and his replacements just weren't as good. 

The Jets went from Lawson/ JFM being supplemented by Huff/ Curry to JFM/ Huff being supplemented by Shaq Lawson/ Tim Ward to injured JFM/ Shaq Lawson being supplemented by Tim Ward/ Ronnie Blair. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Mafe or Ebiketie is my preferred 2nd round guys if they make it there. They both pass the agility portions and Mafe also had good explosion numbers, esp pro day vert. Both are guys I think can bend around the edge, but have minimal technique and are probably starters by year 2 or 3 if things go right.

Karlaftis has good technique and understanding of leverage, but he's a power rusher through and through. That's also fine, he can win that way at the next level. He just is an average speed rusher who should really focus on the power and technique since that's his skillset imo.

Ojabo looks better on tape than his measureables stay. With the injury though, wouldn't touch him with a 1st and I think someone bites on him by the 2nd, which I don't think the Jets are in position to redshirt a guy so wouldn't touch him there.

Sam Williams I have an irrational appreciation for. I think he's a solid pro, but I don't see 10+ sack potential in him at least not on a regular basis. He's a little stiff bending around the edge but has good acceleration and straight line speed.

Bonitto might be the value-guy to grab. Above 7 3-cone, but otherwise his numbers are solid and win rate was high. Probably a great value guy if he makes it to the 3rd or if we acquire a pick in the bottom of the 2nd to me.

Allegedly Boye Mafe ran a 4.46 Short Shuttle and a 7.26 3-cone at his pro day at 257 lbs. I don't love that especially since Mafe is a guy who wins with agility and strength. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Bryce Huff stuff was obvious in the rapid shift the Defense took after the first few games. Essentially, the DL was pretty good at getting pressure with Huff playing just over half the snaps available. Then JFM got injured and his snaps got cut while he recovered so Bryce Huff played more. Teams adjusted and starting running at Huff. Huff struggled with the extra snaps and got injured. He never fully recovered and his replacements just weren't as good. 

The Jets went from Lawson/ JFM being supplemented by Huff/ Curry to JFM/ Huff being supplemented by Shaq Lawson/ Tim Ward to injured JFM/ Shaq Lawson being supplemented by Tim Ward/ Ronnie Blair. 

Yep. The injuries this team has sustained the last few years have been murder. Just brutal.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Appreciate it. It's definitely fair to consider.

I've been in JJ-II-istan for months. I can't help but notice his rise since the senior bowl, his comparable combine to Thibs, and that recent Greg Cosell prediction that "he's the best of the bunch in 3 years" - and feel somewhat vindicated.

But ignoring something like this would be foolish, same with the age, same with the good broad but poor vert, and with no 3 cone. 

It's going to be interesting here because I'd be shocked if we took anything but Edge @ 4. But of course there's a scenario where Ekwonu is the pick, we fail to trade for a receiver and take one @ 10, and then early round two is the Boye Mafe/Travis Jones types. 

Peter King swears we're taking a corner @ 4, but I feel like that's the kiss of death for anyone wanting Sauce. 

48 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Allegedly Boye Mafe ran a 4.46 Short Shuttle and a 7.26 3-cone at his pro day at 257 lbs. I don't love that especially since Mafe is a guy who wins with agility and strength. 

I was basing it off this: https://www.fox9.com/sports/gophers-pro-day-boye-mafe-puts-on-a-show-again-faalele-ready-for-history

that said 4.2 short shuttle. 4.46 is obviously different.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Leads the NFL in almost sacks, and nearly hits.

This will be on the tombstone of almost every early dline jets draft pick.

Each year people trot out these stats about how awesome our players are because their almosts.

Pressures are vastly vastly inferior to sacks as a metric of an important player.

I hate to say this but good QBs can get the ball out in 2 seconds neutralizing the rush… and when screens go for 15 yards against the Jets consistently there is just no need for opposing QB to sit in the pocket.  

Pressure with no sacks will be the norm, no matter who we have on the edge, if we don’t have playmakers in coverage that can make a qb nervous in the quick passing game.

The 2021 Jets couldn’t stop the run either creating a lot of short passing opportunities.  When we got teams in 3rd long, quick screens and dump offs could easily get 20+ yards.  

Thats means it’s hard for edge rushers to translate pressure and pass rush wins into sacks (and we are disappointed with the sack production)

• Sympathy 1