Kiper has lost his mind with this pick at 4 for the Jets...

I couldn't find if this was already posted, but I will vomit if this is our pick at 4.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper has a new mock draft, and he doesn’t wait long to make a shocking selection.

In Kiper’s updated first-round projection, the first three picks are familiar enough, with Michigan edge defender Aidan Hutchinson (Jacksonville Jaguars), Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton (Detroit Lions) and North Carolina State offensive lineman Ickey Ekwonu (Houston Texans) coming off the board to kick things off.

Then comes the curveball, as Kiper sends USC wide receiver Drake London to the New York Jets at No. 4 overall.

After lauding the Jets’ ability to fill many of their biggest needs with economical veterans in free agency, Kiper explains why London is the pick:

They haven’t yet added an outside wide receiver to help Zach Wilson, though, which means they could be eyeing one with either of their top-10 picks. They could get their choice of the best receiver in the class here, and really, if they want to take one, there’s no need to wait.

There’s no denying the Jets’ need for a true No. 1 receiver with London’s size and skill set, and he could indeed make a strong case as the best receiver in an extremely deep class. That said, it’s hard to imagine the Jets passing up the likes of Oregon edge defender Kayvon Thibodeaux, Alabama offensive tackle Evan Neal, or Georgia edge defender Travon Walker in the top five, especially when there’s a strong chance London could still be on the board when they pick again at No. 10 overall.

Thibodeaux falls to the New York Giants at No. 7 overall in Kiper’s latest mock, while the Atlanta Falcons pass on this year’s top quarterbacks in favor of the next pass-catcher off the board, Ohio State’s Garrett Wilson.

Other surprise picks in Kiper’s new projections include Tulsa offensive lineman Tyler Smith (No. 24 overall, Dallas Cowboys), Iowa State running back Breece Hall (No. 27 overall, Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and UConn defensive lineman Travis Jones (No. 31 overall, Cincinnati Bengals).

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Jets fans have become batsh*t over these “big” WR’s just like they’ve become nutty for centers desperately looking to find the next Mawae or Mangold over the last decade.

If I had nickel for every Jets fan who wanted to burn a high pick on the Dorial Green-Beckham’s, Antonio Gandy-Golden’s, Garrett Bradbury’s and Billy Price’s, I could’ve retired to a small island by now.

If we can’t pull off a trade for someone like Metcalf, Brown or Deebo by the 28th, then just take Wilson at #10 and let things rest.

Hakeem Butler!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jNYC1 said:

Drake London is the best old school X in draft - kind of like a Keyshawn Johnson or Brandon Marshall type.  Current day reminds me of a Courtland Sutton…or a more dynamic Michael Pittman.  Can beat press man on the outside, makes it safe for QB to throw it his way, and move the chains.

4 is a reach.  Ok with him at 10, although I think wide receiver ADP is getting a little rich.

If he runs in 4.3s or low 4.4s at his pro-day take him at 4 - since he would be a unicorn.

Screen-Shot-2022-03-03-at-07.10.51-820x1024.png

• Upvote 1

Zach to London does seem like NFL version of the Zach to Dax Milne connection that helped get Zach drafted. 

It’s hard to get too excited about drafting a weapon that high that is not going to deliver explosive, game changing plays.  But delivering TDs in the red zone and consistent first downs is somewhat compelling at 10 for this offense.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Apropos, an excellent breakdown of all the top receiver prospects, and a good explanation of what the league is looking at with these guys. Quick recap:

https://theathletic.com/podcast/211-the-athletic-football-show/?episode=368

—They love London, but concede that his lack of speed is probably going to be an issue. They were surprised how smooth and athletic he was, and gave him extra credit for playing with bad QBs. He’s unique because he can win contested catches, but is also great after the catch—not just a goon. Projected him as a mid to late first rounder.

—Olave was their second favorite guy. Natural playmaker and advanced route runner. Ready to play right now. Drawback is obviously the size/weight, but makes up for it by being so instinctive.

—Garrett Wilson is very good, plays bigger than he is, but needs some work developmentally. 

—They did not seem to love Jameson Williams at all. Freaky fast, but a body catcher who got beat up by Kaiir Elam. Complementary speed receiver. High floor guy.

—Most interesting was their breakdown of Treylon Burks. They loved the talent when the ball was in his hands, but felt that he wasn’t instinctive at all and also took plays off if the ball wasn’t coming his way. Stated that the range of outcomes was vast, depending on where he gets drafted and how he’s developed. Could be AJ Brown or Deebo Samuel, but needs manufactured touches the way those guys got early on. If a team drafts him and tries to make him a traditional outside receiver, he’ll probably bust.

I found it amusing that Mays and Tice were mentioning “best team fits” for these receivers, and the Jets weren’t mentioned one time. I’ve noticed this in all these draft podcasts I’ve been listening to—no one mentions their Zach Wilson evals from last year and no one talks about the Jets as anything other than a football desert. They talk about the ascending Lions, they’ll talk about the promising Jaguars and Dolphins, but never, ever the Jets. 

Good. We’ll take ‘em by surprise like the Sack of Rome.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Isn’t that @bitonti   Pick?

As long as they don't draft KT I'm good 

Drake is more like a prediction than a preference. Tbh after watching the simms rankings again I can also see the appeal of any of his top 5

The Jets got a good look at Alec Pierce and Christian Watson in mobile both of those dudes look good for that X role, along with London 

• Upvote 2

London moves extremely well for a guy who is 6'4. His long speed might not be there but Keyshawn didnt have that either and he still went #1 overall and had a good career. The Jets probably should take a WR at #4 because the top WR in the draft is not making it to 10, most likely. 

You are JD picking at 4.  Who are you confident has elite measureables and is going to be a good football player worth the contract?  That is what he should focus on, not drafting the position. 

That is Hutchinson, Ekwenu, Gardener, Wilson, Neal.  In that order for me. 

Another pick there could get him fired.  

• Upvote 1