Kiper has lost his mind with this pick at 4 for the Jets...

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

You are JD picking at 4.  Who are you confident has elite measureables and is going to be a good football player worth the contract?  That is what he should focus on, not drafting the position. 

That is Hutchinson, Ekwenu, Gardener, Wilson, Neal.  In that order for me. 

Another pick there could get him fired.  

It has to be a combo, whether it's 65/35 or 50/50 talent/position or whatever, otherwise you'd have to put Hamilton in that list.

3 hours ago, Barton said:

London moves extremely well for a guy who is 6'4. His long speed might not be there but Keyshawn didnt have that either and he still went #1 overall and had a good career. The Jets probably should take a WR at #4 because the top WR in the draft is not making it to 10, most likely. 

Interestingly, in that 96 draft, the Jets passed on a rock solid tackle prospect (Jon Ogden) and an enigmatic pass rusher (Simeon Rice) to take Keyshawn Johnson. Jacksonville, picking at 2, went the safe route and took ILB Kevin Hardy. The Giants took Cedric Jones at 5, iirc, and that guy didn’t last five years in the league.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

You are JD picking at 4.  Who are you confident has elite measureables and is going to be a good football player worth the contract?  That is what he should focus on, not drafting the position. 

That is Hutchinson, Ekwenu, Gardener, Wilson, Neal.  In that order for me. 

Another pick there could get him fired.  

If douglas is intent on getting the wr he wants he can simply take wilson at 4, or if he can trade back 2-4 spots, even better.  Then he can take JJ or karlaftis at 10 and that’s his first round, mission accomplished.  

12 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I couldn't find if this was already posted, but I will vomit if this is our pick at 4.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper has a new mock draft, and he doesn’t wait long to make a shocking selection.

In Kiper’s updated first-round projection, the first three picks are familiar enough, with Michigan edge defender Aidan Hutchinson (Jacksonville Jaguars), Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton (Detroit Lions) and North Carolina State offensive lineman Ickey Ekwonu (Houston Texans) coming off the board to kick things off.

Then comes the curveball, as Kiper sends USC wide receiver Drake London to the New York Jets at No. 4 overall.

After lauding the Jets’ ability to fill many of their biggest needs with economical veterans in free agency, Kiper explains why London is the pick:

They haven’t yet added an outside wide receiver to help Zach Wilson, though, which means they could be eyeing one with either of their top-10 picks. They could get their choice of the best receiver in the class here, and really, if they want to take one, there’s no need to wait.

There’s no denying the Jets’ need for a true No. 1 receiver with London’s size and skill set, and he could indeed make a strong case as the best receiver in an extremely deep class. That said, it’s hard to imagine the Jets passing up the likes of Oregon edge defender Kayvon Thibodeaux, Alabama offensive tackle Evan Neal, or Georgia edge defender Travon Walker in the top five, especially when there’s a strong chance London could still be on the board when they pick again at No. 10 overall.

Thibodeaux falls to the New York Giants at No. 7 overall in Kiper’s latest mock, while the Atlanta Falcons pass on this year’s top quarterbacks in favor of the next pass-catcher off the board, Ohio State’s Garrett Wilson.

Other surprise picks in Kiper’s new projections include Tulsa offensive lineman Tyler Smith (No. 24 overall, Dallas Cowboys), Iowa State running back Breece Hall (No. 27 overall, Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and UConn defensive lineman Travis Jones (No. 31 overall, Cincinnati Bengals).

Like you said the main thing is if Jets are thinking Thibs, Walker, and Neal had a high chance of being busts then go with the BA WR on your board. But out of those 3 players at least 2 of them will likely be legit and if all 3 are much better talent/prospects than any of the BA WRs you have to go with the better talent/prospect since all of these position groups are of importance now or in the near future for the Jets obviously Edge, WR, and even Oline. Heck, I know most would hate this but if we took DT Davis at 4 and he made our DLine a brick wall nobody could run through it certainly would sole the problem of being gashed against the run like last year. I actually think Davis would be a good pick at 10, but who knows he could or may be gone before then.

22 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The lack of separation is just horrifying. He’s covered on every play.

6"5 WRs generally don't get their production from being able to separate from 5'10 speedy CBs.

Mike Evans Scouting Report:

Weaknesses

Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack

Unsudden acceleration

Stiff hips

Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Hex said:

He lost his mind at pick #2

Actually, he may be right. 

At number one, the Jags.

Hutch is going number one even thought he is over-rated and the Jags would be MUCH better off with Ickey. 

At number two, the Lions.

Hamilton is highly regarded by many GM's and they don't want to tip their hand.  I am a ND fan and have seen all of their games this year.  Hamilton is not just a safety.  He's a complete football player, and leader/influencer.  I have described him as a Jim Lenohard but with greater size and leverage.  He will be playing out of his head each and every week.  

At number three, the Texans.

With pick number three, he is right on.  Ickey is the best player in the draft and is by far the best offensive lineman in the draft and the Texans need a stellar Left Tackle as does every NFL Team.

At number four, the Jets.

I know the Jets VERY much want a bona-filed #1 receiver.  With Ickey off the board, I can actually see JD passing up on Sauce for WR London.   I would prefer Sauce as I am on record calling him the best player in the draft along with Ickey 1 and 1A, but London would be possible considering the other position of great need (edge) there are no good prospects to fill the hole.  Thibs is bust waIting to happen or at the very least a 3rd down package player, and Walker "THE MUMMY" is not the edger rusher you want.  He's more of a 34 two gap end that can do well against the run on the strong side but not one that will generate a lot of pressure on the QB. 

Mel's new mock is very clinical and it makes a lot of sense. 

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

6"5 WRs generally don't get their production from being able to separate from 5'10 speedy CBs.

Mike Evans Scouting Report:

Weaknesses

Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack

Unsudden acceleration

Stiff hips

Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate

Quit with the scouting reports. Watch them play.

Evans gets more open in the NFL than London does in college. He runs past defenders deep often enough and was doing the same at Texas A&M. London doesn’t do that ever. Their capabilities in that sense just aren’t comparable.

There is a chance London can physically dominate better athletes as well as the lesser ones he did in college. It’s far too big a chance to risk top him in the top 10 let alone at 4.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Evans gets more open in the NFL than London does in college. He runs past defenders deep often enough and was doing the same at Texas A&M. London doesn’t do that ever. Their capabilities in that sense just aren’t comparable.

There is a chance London can physically dominate better athletes as well as the lesser ones he did in college. It’s far too big a chance to risk top him in the top 10 let alone at 4.

Mike Evans gets around 1.2 yards of separation, ranked in the 60s among receivers. 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Actually, he may be right. 

At number one, the Jags.

Hutch is going number one even thought he is over-rated and the Jags would be MUCH better off with Ickey. 

At number two, the Lions.

Hamilton is highly regarded by many GM's and they don't want to tip their hand.  I am a ND fan and have seen all of their games this year.  Hamilton is not just a safety.  He's a complete football player, and leader/influencer.  I have described him as a Jim Lenohard but with greater size and leverage.  He will be playing out of his head each and every week.  

At number three, the Texans.

With pick number three, he is right on.  Ickey is the best player in the draft and is by far the best offensive lineman in the draft and the Texans need a stellar Left Tackle as does every NFL Team.

At number four, the Jets.

I know the Jets VERY much want a bona-filed #1 receiver.  With Ickey off the board, I can actually see JD passing up on Sauce for WR London.   I would prefer Sauce as I am on record calling him the best player in the draft along with Ickey 1 and 1A, but London would be possible considering the other position of great need (edge) there are no good prospects to fill the hole.  Thibs is bust waIting to happen or at the very least a 3rd down package player, and Walker "THE MUMMY" is not the edger rusher you want.  He's more of a 34 two gap end that can do well against the run on the strong side but not one that will generate a lot of pressure on the QB. 

Mel's new mock is very clinical and it makes a lot of sense. 

If the Lions draft Hamilton they are in for 20 more years of sucking with GM work like that

1 hour ago, Hex said:

If the Lions draft Hamilton they are in for 20 more years of sucking with GM work like that

Perhaps.  It may be a good spot for the Lions to trade out of if they can find any team that wants to make a deal.  The only position the Lions MUST have is a new franchise QB and there are none to be had.  With a draft like this one that is not top heavy, it is a great time to add extra picks in rounds 3 - 5 if you can. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I couldn't find if this was already posted, but I will vomit if this is our pick at 4.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper has a new mock draft, and he doesn’t wait long to make a shocking selection.

In Kiper’s updated first-round projection, the first three picks are familiar enough, with Michigan edge defender Aidan Hutchinson (Jacksonville Jaguars), Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton (Detroit Lions) and North Carolina State offensive lineman Ickey Ekwonu (Houston Texans) coming off the board to kick things off.

Then comes the curveball, as Kiper sends USC wide receiver Drake London to the New York Jets at No. 4 overall.

After lauding the Jets’ ability to fill many of their biggest needs with economical veterans in free agency, Kiper explains why London is the pick:

They haven’t yet added an outside wide receiver to help Zach Wilson, though, which means they could be eyeing one with either of their top-10 picks. They could get their choice of the best receiver in the class here, and really, if they want to take one, there’s no need to wait.

There’s no denying the Jets’ need for a true No. 1 receiver with London’s size and skill set, and he could indeed make a strong case as the best receiver in an extremely deep class. That said, it’s hard to imagine the Jets passing up the likes of Oregon edge defender Kayvon Thibodeaux, Alabama offensive tackle Evan Neal, or Georgia edge defender Travon Walker in the top five, especially when there’s a strong chance London could still be on the board when they pick again at No. 10 overall.

Thibodeaux falls to the New York Giants at No. 7 overall in Kiper’s latest mock, while the Atlanta Falcons pass on this year’s top quarterbacks in favor of the next pass-catcher off the board, Ohio State’s Garrett Wilson.

Other surprise picks in Kiper’s new projections include Tulsa offensive lineman Tyler Smith (No. 24 overall, Dallas Cowboys), Iowa State running back Breece Hall (No. 27 overall, Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and UConn defensive lineman Travis Jones (No. 31 overall, Cincinnati Bengals).

If you really look at it, it is not a bad pick at all. But people have weird opinions on "value". If the Jets rate one receiver as far better than others you just take him because receiver will go in between our 4 and 10 picks.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I'm sorry, but I will go with the Scouts reports on Evan's ability to create separation over some random dude on a forum.  

3 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

It has to be a combo, whether it's 65/35 or 50/50 talent/position or whatever, otherwise you'd have to put Hamilton in that list.

My take was a combo, based on position value for the contract.  

5 players at 4:  Hutchinson, Ekwenu, Gardener, Wilson, Neal.  Actually, for the Jets, I would switch Wilson and Gardener.

Think of the various combinations the Jets can take at 4 and 10.  Assume no Wilson or Gardener at 10.  

1-Wilson and Johnson or Karlaftis-both are upgrades to their position groups.

2-Thib and London (hopefully)-Thib is not a bust-free prospect-size, moves, mental.  Neither is London.  This could end up bad and really depends on how JD and Co. scout these players.

3-Ikey and best of London/JJ/Karlaftis-if the Jets can trade Fant or Becton, this could work to improve one position group in 2022 that carries over to 2023.   

Wilson and best EDGE gives the most impact for this team in 2022.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Strange, because Kiper posted his top three wide receivers for this year's draft and Garrett Wilson was first, London second, and Olave third. So why would the Jets, by Kiper's logic, pick London?

Sorta answers itself, doesn't it?

He thinks the Jets are a team that would draft a lesser prospect ahead of a higher prospect.

51 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

In any case, I'd be very surprised to see the Jets take a WR at #4. Gardner or Thibodeaux makes more sense. Receiver at #10.

I don't think there is anything crazy about the idea of the Jets drafting a WR @ #4. 

I don't think we will, but it's a perfectly reasonable idea if the draft falls a certain way in picks 1-4.

But generally I agree, WR is most likely at pick #10 IF (big IF) JD values that need as a first round need.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He thinks the Jets are a team that would draft a lesser prospect ahead of a higher prospect.

I don't think there is anything crazy about the idea of the Jets drafting a WR @ #4. 

I don't think we will, but it's a perfectly reasonable idea if the draft falls a certain way in picks 1-4.

But generally I agree, WR is most likely at pick #10 IF (big IF) JD values that need as a first round need.

You mean to tell me the Jets don’t always pick the best prospect?

JD has talked about valuing speed at WR - I personally don’t see him taking London, nor do I see him taking a WR at 4.

personally, I would have no issue with a WR at 4, because that’s the only way you will definitely get your favorite WR in the draft. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

If you really look at it, it is not a bad pick at all. But people have weird opinions on "value". If the Jets rate one receiver as far better than others you just take him because receiver will go in between our 4 and 10 picks.

I have no problem maybe at 10...depends what's out there.  Just not at 4...I'm in the edge group at 4.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Agree here.  Since pre-combine, the prospects I have been touting are Ekwonu and Sauce.  They are the most complete football players that will become part of a core.  The intangibles are impressive.  Given the way the projections look now, A combination of Ickey and Sauce is near impossible.  Both will be gone by 10.  It could be Sauce at 4 and London or Hamilton at 10, or it could be Ickey at 4 and London or Hamilton at 10.

What I think will most likely occur is this.

Jets take Sauce at 4 and London at 10.  

Since there are no superstars in this draft, it would not surprise me a bit any of the above mentioned payers goes at 2, 3, 4 or 5

With London, it would not be insane for the Jets to take him at 4 if they like him a lot, but I think they can use 4 on Sauce or Ickey and still get London at 10.

Also... In the later rounds, for big value, check out LB Brian Asamoah and WR's Sky Moore, Jalen Tolbert and Jashan Dotson

19 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

image.png.7422fb8f017c624933cd89f6844cc1f7.png

19 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

better than sauce

21 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Drake London = BUST

On 4/8/2022 at 7:42 PM, Hex said:

What's your reasoning?

First of all, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

IMO he has the biggest risk out of all the receivers (including Jameson Williams) he's slow, and doesn't separate very much, and especially since the Jets have an offense where route running and separation are paramount and that's a problem. The NFL is trending towards receivers like Kupp, Diggs, Jefferson, etc who are exceptional route runners. Sure he can probably get about 10 TDs a year with his size but I don't see him making much of an impact between the 20's. He probably should be picked between 15-20 in the draft, too much of a reach to get him at 10.

I've been wrong before but I don't see it with him. If I'm wrong I'll will come back and proudly eat my crow.

• Upvote 1