Dan Campbell: Dolphins had a player who practiced every day reeking of alcohol

Bronx

Lions coach Dan Campbell offered a vivid example of how much the NFL is willing to tolerate from a player if he helps his team win.

Campbell described a time during his tenure with the Dolphins when the team had a player who routinely showed up to practice after drinking, but he said the Dolphins accepted it because of the player’s production.

“I remember I had a guy in Miami, god he loved ball,” Campbell said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “He was a dynamic football player, but he came in every day just reeking of alcohol. He was probably on a bender for who knows how long, but god he loved football. He showed up, he didn’t have any M.A.’s [missed assignments], he hustled non-stop, and it’s like, you know what? You’ll find a way to make that guy work. Not saying we want those guys, but he loved ball, and he had success. And he’s still playing today, by the way.”

Campbell did not identify the player. Campbell was with the Dolphins from 2010 to 2015, spending most of that time as tight ends coach and ending his tenure in Miami as interim head coach.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Miami is just an outright disgusting organization. Move them to London

There are probably many teams that have players like this.  Notice that Dan Campbell only mentioned it when he left the organization?  No team is going to volunteer this info.  And probably most people don't want to volunteer it when other teams have players like this because they can then reveal something about your team.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So why didn’t they try to get the guy some help instead of having him show up everyday drunk?

Being an NFL player has to be such a brutal job that they probably let them do whatever they need to in order to recover.

Could you imagine getting hit that hard each week and having to play again in 4-8 days?  Plus they have to practice during the week as well.  These guys are absolute beasts.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Miami is just an outright disgusting organization. Move them to London

Our greatest player (#12) and that other "classy" NY team's greatest player (#56) routinely played at high levels coming off benders.  Don't think any of us as fans should be judgmental about what gets tolerated in the NFL... 

• Upvote 2

In the 1980s the Jets drafted another safety high.  He used to come into my friend’s deli to buy a six pack before practice.  He ended up having a very disappointing NFL career…..

So who is going to go through the Miami rosters from then and speculate who they are talking about.  The average NFL career is 3.3 years.  Who is still playing from 2015 or earlier who looks like they drink like that?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’ve never understood how you can work side by side with someone, develop caring relationships with them, and just completely let their well-being go by the wayside in the name of productivity. What an awful story.

We have fans, right now today, who would very happily sign Henry Ruggs III for the Jets.

The story isn't awful.

People are (mostly) awful.

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

So? 

So this...

Alcohol-Related Emergencies and Deaths in the United States

An estimated 95,000 people (approximately 68,000 men and 27,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third-leading preventable cause of death in the United States.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We have fans, right now today, who would very happily sign Henry Ruggs III for the Jets.

The story isn't awful.

People are (mostly) awful.

I have the opposite take. 

I think people are mostly good, but the bad apples get a lot of attention and ruin it for everyone else. 

I also think people tend to be much better on their own then in groups 

• Upvote 1

Campbell coached TEs with the Dolphins from 2010-2015. Below is a list of TEs that played on or around his tenure:

Tight end: Anthony Fasano (2010-2012, 2017)

The Dolphins have had several tight ends over the decade who could claim a stake to this position. Charles Clay (2011-2014) is probably the name that will get argued the most to replace Fasano, with Dion Sims (2013-2016),  Jermon Mastrud (2010-2012), Michael Egnew (2012—2013),  Will Yeatman (2011-2013), Mickey Shuler (2010), and Jake Stoneburner (2014-2015) all starting games.