Dan Campbell: Dolphins had a player who practiced every day reeking of alcohol

Bronx

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’ve never understood how you can work side by side with someone, develop caring relationships with them, and just completely let their well-being go by the wayside in the name of productivity. What an awful story.

Primarily because as tyreek hill flies by your defense to score, fans don’t excuse it because of the morale superiority of the defender that got smoked 

we pay for billboards and want people fired  

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I have the opposite take. 

I think people are mostly good, but the bad apples get a lot of attention and ruin it for everyone else. 

I also think people tend to be much better on their own then in groups 

Human History would say otherwise, IMO.

In Groups, they're outright vile.

Alone, they can be decent, but mostly just ignore the bad of the world focused on their own needs.

We are just animals, after all.  Special only because of our brains and nothing else.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Alone, they can be descent, but mostly just ignore the bad of the world focused on their own needs.

We are just animals, after all.  Special only because of our brains and nothing else.

Oh, we are definitely just animals, but believe in the person. I just don’t believe in people. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

So this...

Alcohol-Related Emergencies and Deaths in the United States

An estimated 95,000 people (approximately 68,000 men and 27,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third-leading preventable cause of death in the United States.

Ok. Still has nothing to do with this story, or why it is one.

Hey, if you're into statistics, can you tell me how many preventable deaths NFL players have suffered due to head injuries (playing football) vs those that are alcohol related?

This is a non story. The guy drinks on his own time and it had no impact to his performance or motivation. Sounds like a work hard/play hard type. Those are some of the best people I know.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

You don't think Joe namath ever showed up smelling of alcohol?

Mickey Mantle showed up hung over.  So did LT.   Hollywood Henderson did coke on the field during a super bowl (he hid it in a fake asthma bottle).

This is not new.

Seems like torture being under the hot Florida sun drunk and/or hungover but I guess if you “love ball” you get used to it. Still a masochist to do that. On the other hand if that player showed up smelling like “a skunk” theyd be gone out of the league already. 

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You don't think Joe namath ever showed up smelling of alcohol?

Mickey Mantle showed up hung over.  So did LT.   Hollywood Henderson did coke on the field during a super bowl (he hid it in a fake asthma bottle).

This is not new.

How'd that turn out for those guys?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Ok. Still has nothing to do with this story, or why it is one.

Hey, if you're into statistics, can you tell me how many preventable deaths NFL players have suffered due to head injuries (playing football) vs those that are alcohol related?

This is a non story. The guy drinks on his own time and it had no impact to his performance or motivation. Sounds like a work hard/play hard type. Those are some of the best people I know.

Most likely he was using drink as a pain killer.  Lots of NFL players do it as well as pro wrestlers.   It’s legal and less dangerous than pills

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Alone, they can be decent, but mostly just ignore the bad of the world focused on their own needs.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!   

totally disrespectful of our excellent sweat glands 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

I get where you're coming from. I don't think we're animals but we are mammals. What separates us is abstract thinking. We can make fire, we can make movies, cars and guns. We're actually a pretty self-destructive race of beings. 

Whales and Dolphins actually have more complex brains than humans. Hence why any of the E.T. bases on Earth are under sea. They communicate with the intelligent creatures that live here.

Don't know if you're into George Carlin at all but post 1990 he wasn't just funny, but he told some crippling truth about humans~

10 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Didn’t the lions have an OC years ago got a DUI during the season and the cop found him in the car naked?

No that was me~

Um ... Sorry?

But we did have a player who got caught waxing his carrot and showing old ladies cuz he was on some synthetic weed geeking out LMFAO 😆

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

No that was me~

Um ... Sorry?

But we did have a player who got caught waxing his carrot and showing old ladies cuz he was on some synthetic weed geeking out LMFAO 😆

And it took 2 bottles of KY jelly in the Target parking lot...lol

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Most likely he was using drink as a pain killer.  Lots of NFL players do it as well as pro wrestlers.   It’s legal and less dangerous than pills

Whatever his reasons are, they're his.

21 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

So why didn’t they try to get the guy some help instead of having him show up everyday drunk?

You can’t get someone help if they don’t want it and it doesn’t look like a problem when you’re young, healthy and successful. I was drunk for more then 15 years. I never missed work, paid all my bills, went to the gym, ran, never missed rugby practice or matches. No one seen it as a problem because it was just me. I was just the guy that liked to drink. 

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

You can’t get someone help if they don’t want it and it doesn’t look like a problem when you’re young, healthy and successful. I was drunk for more then 15 years. I never missed work, paid all my bills, went to the gym, ran, never missed rugby practice or matches. No one seen it as a problem because it was just me. I was just the guy that liked to drink. 

With a name like New York Mick I would’ve never guessed that lol

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

We have fans, right now today, who would very happily sign Henry Ruggs III for the Jets.

The story isn't awful.

People are (mostly) awful.

Says who?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Our greatest player (#12) and that other "classy" NY team's greatest player (#56) routinely played at high levels coming off benders.  Don't think any of us as fans should be judgmental about what gets tolerated in the NFL... 

My dad told me a story once about seeing Namath arrive at the stadium before a Raiders(?) game. Said Namath was clearly hungover, had a scratch on his face. First pass of the game, he hit John Schmitt in the ass. Forget if he said he went on to have a good game. Take the story with a grain of salt...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jetworks said:

My dad told me a story once about seeing Namath arrive at the stadium before a Raiders(?) game. Said Namath was clearly hungover, had a scratch on his face. First pass of the game, he hit John Schmitt in the ass. Forget if he said he went on to have a good game. Take the story with a grain of salt...

I think I heard something similar once. Can never tell truth from urban legend with this stuff...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Took over my country, slaughtered and abused my people, and enslaved us to their rule for a few hundred years?

Well, this sure narrows down which country you originate from.

• Haha 3

On 4/8/2022 at 12:06 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Being an NFL player has to be such a brutal job that they probably let them do whatever they need to in order to recover.

Could you imagine getting hit that hard each week and having to play again in 4-8 days?  Plus they have to practice during the week as well.  These guys are absolute beasts.

Opiate "problems" are a problem everywhere except the NFL. Those guys are on so much stuff to hold them together throughout the season. It's pretty sad. 

On 4/8/2022 at 8:01 AM, Nixhead said:

To each his own! Some functioning alcoholics are very productive but then you have the unproductive ones in the gov't. Sounds  like it could be a D tackle or O lineman.

I once asked a hard drinking friend if he ever considered that he might be a functioning alcoholic. He responded “I’m concerned for how low your bar for functioning is.”

• Haha 2