Blue-Chip Talent

DTereman

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Elijah Moore is the only Jets player that you could trade and get back a top 50 pick right now. 

I think AVT would be a hot ticket although guard is a tough position to get a top 50 pick.  Carter would also get a decent return relative to where JD drafted him...

• Upvote 3

Just now, peekskill68 said:

I think AVT would be a hot ticket although guard is a tough position to get a top 50 pick.  Carter would also get a decent return relative to where JD drafted him...

Either way. A top 50 draft pick is not considered “blue chip” is it?

I would argue there might be 50-75 truly “blue chip” players on nfl rosters as we speak. I think there may be 2-4 in the draft at this moment. 

C.J Mosley. George Fant as a pass protector. Elijah Moore. That's about it. Maybe Conner McGovern, if you cut him some slack for having to play next to Roten and Alex Lewis for a stretch.

• Haha 1

Just now, genot said:

C.J Mosley. George Fant as a pass protector. 

CJ Mosely has no trade value because of his insane contract. 

George Fant, if they can get anything for him, they will. Far from a blue chip asset

these are the Jets' blue chip players in the sense they'd have value on the trade market: 

AVT

Moore

QW

Zach (we hope) 

end of list 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Of course you could get a top 50 pick of AVT.  

I know he's not popular around here but Zach Wilson would be the #2 pick again this year.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, genot said:

C.J Mosley. George Fant as a pass protector. Elijah Moore. That's about it. Maybe Conner McGovern, if you cut him some slack for having to play next to Roten and Alex Lewis for a stretch.

Are we talking “Blue Chips” or are we talking reliable starting level pros. Until one of those guys gets to the pro bowl or gets back, in the case of Mosley, I am not convinced anyone on this current roster gets that nod. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

George Fant, if they can get anything for him, they will. Far from a blue chip asset

these are the Jets' blue chip players in the sense they'd have value on the trade market: 

AVT

Moore

QW

Zach (we hope) 

end of list 

Would you get a first round pick for any of these guys as we speak? Maybe ZW just because of the position and draft spot. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, bitonti said:

AVT

Moore

QW

Zach (we hope) 

end of list 

I wasn't  thinking about trade value. Just reliability as to players  performance 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, genot said:

I wasn't  thinking about trade value. Just reliability as to players  performance 

CJ Mosely's gets about 150 tackles but they're all 5 yards downfield. He's got value in a 3-4 but if the Jets could have traded this player, they would have. He's their highest paid player #1 cap hit, it's ludicrous what he brings compared to what he's paid 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Elijah Moore is the only Jets player that you could trade and get back a top 50 pick right now. 

With the possible exception of AVT, I think I agree  

You could have for Lawson before the injury 

edit: Forgot about QW - he flashes enough and broadly checks the “interior pass rusher” label where you definitely could.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

AVT

Moore

QW

Zach (we hope) 

end of list 

That’s a level of optimism I will simply lift my half eaten chicken carcass and say,”  thank you Bit, thank you!” 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

CJ Mosely's gets about 150 tackles but they're all 5 yards downfield. He's got value in a 3-4 but if the Jets could have traded this player, they would have. He's their highest paid player #1 cap hit, it's ludicrous what he brings compared to what he's paid 

Not his fault. They signed a player for a defense we don't play anymore. Can't blame him. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Of course you could get a top 50 pick of AVT.  

I know he's not popular around here but Zach Wilson would be the #2 pick again this year.

I would absolutely trade Zach Wilson for a 2023 first. 🤣

• Post of the Week 2

If by blue chip, you mean top 1-15 players at their position in terms of actual ability judged by last seasons performance and not future ability (eg young players).  The answer is basically zero.  Fant, JFM and CmG  are probably the closest.

Mosley isnt even close to being a top 15 lber anymore.

I’m kinda hoping AVT, Becton, Moore and QW moves up into that rank this year, but well hope springs eternal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lolWut

He sucks and got traded for a 2, 4, 6.  The point was trade value that can be obtained for a player is a bad way to define "blue chip"

11 minutes ago, genot said:

Not his fault. They signed a player for a defense we don't play anymore. Can't blame him. 

we can't blame him but can we resent him? 

all this talk about getting players at a good value, their highest paid dude is an ILB who can't run 

Offensive Line = 2

Connor McGovern is top 10 amongst Center despite the hate for him.
Laken Tomlinson is top 10 amongst Left Guards

Fant, AVT, Becton right now are projected as above average starters (based on history/ reasonable expectation)

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s not a blue chip return. 

Sam is definitely not a blue chip player but we did get Top 50 draft pick compensation for him. 

Basically what you can get for a player is a bad way to define blue chip.

Defensive Line

QW is blue chip player at interior line

JFM is a borderline blue chip player (doesnt get the sacks, but grades out really well against run and pass)

Carl Lawson is a borderline blue chip player (grades out well against pass, generates a ton of pressure, and needs to convert pressures to sacks to cross the line)

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have a bunch of blue chip talent : Zach, Elijah, Michael Carter, AVT, Becton etc.

And at least 2 or 3 more blue chippers will be here in less then 3 weeks.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

Zach?- not yet, but maybe

Elijah?- if he is healthy for 85% of his snaps and if Zach balls out?  then book it!

Carter?- nice player for his draft slot but likely 1/2 of a very good two headed monster at RB, not blue chip but a very nice player 

AVT?- stays healthy? Gets use to new position? I could see it. 

Becton?- Potential?  Ok, let him get on the field first and show us all. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jNYC1 said:

Sam is definitely not a blue chip player but we did get Top 50 draft pick compensation for him. 

Basically what you can get for a player is a bad way to define blue chip.

I don’t think it’s a poor definition.  A player’s value to the league as a whole is pretty telling.  It’s the threshold that needs to be adjusted.  A single top 50 pick is clearly way too low.

Shane was just using that as a barometer to show how the Jets don’t have anything close to a “blue chip talent” by league standards outside of MAYBE Elijah Moore.