My thoughts as a Yankees fan on Aaron Fing Judge...

How much money does this guy need? He's an idiot for turning down this offer, but the Yankees are idiots for offering that much money.....That's one reason why baseball has gone downhill....It's hard to root for greed.  But I digress, I will always be a Yankees fan.  Having favorite players left me decades ago and I feel sorry for the kids today who worship these players as I did during the 50's and 60's.  It's different times for sure, but kids don't realize that.

If I'm the Yanks, trade him now and get yourself some starting pitching before this injury prone player gives you nothing.

• Upvote 2

He is betting on himself. I can't blame a guy for that. The easy thing to do, especially based upon his injury history, would have been to take that money. 

Baseball has changed. It is a young man's sport right now, and the players realize it more than ever. Teams are smarter to build their system, invest in infrastructure of scouting and development to replenish their system continually. This means that players have ONE shot at their best contract. 

Can't blame Judge for betting on himself in this manner. If he gets hurt again this year, he may well cost himself. 

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He is betting on himself. I can't blame a guy for that. The easy thing to do, especially based upon his injury history, would have been to take that money. 

Baseball has changed. It is a young man's sport right now, and the players realize it more than ever. Teams are smarter to build their system, invest in infrastructure of scouting and development to replenish their system continually. This means that players have ONE shot at their best contract. 

Can't blame Judge for betting on himself in this manner. If he gets hurt again this year, he may well cost himself. 

But how much is enough?  That's what I'm referring to...if he's looking at a 10 year contract at 30 mil per, he's never going to get that.  Now, if he was 25, I could see him looking at a 10 year contract.  He's going to be 30 this month...he's never played a full season and as he gets older, he'll play even less.

30 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

But how much is enough?  That's what I'm referring to...if he's looking at a 10 year contract at 30 mil per, he's never going to get that.  Now, if he was 25, I could see him looking at a 10 year contract.  He's going to be 30 this month...he's never played a full season and as he gets older, he'll play even less.

Who am I to begrudge what someone else feels his worth is? 

His agent is a former player, and a marginal one at that. Next year's free agent crop is not stacked, so maybe they feel that the sport will be flush with money coming off new marketing ventures, and someone will look to make a splash. He has the profile that may invigorate some fan base, at least from a splashy signing type of headliner. Personally, I wouldn't, but fools and their money are soon parted. He only needs one fool.

35 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

If Judge can get the money in FA, is it really our right to tell him not to do so?  Also, NY has high taxes that will probably only increase as the budget shortfall increases as rich people leave the state (like they've been doing since Covid).  Also, the link below is about a potential "billionaire's tax" that applies to people with $100M and over (not sure how "$100M = billionaire").  There is also the concern about inflation eating away at the value of money.  Plus, he probably wants to set his family up for generations.  And ideally he'd want to just live off the interest that his money earns so that he never eats into the principal.  Not easy to earn much interest these days (plus inflation is much higher than the interest he'd be earning in a bank or buying a treasury).

This is his chance at a massive payday.  I can't blame the guy for wanting to maximize it.  Btw, I could still see the Yanks signing him next year anyway.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/26/politics/white-house-billionaire-minimum-income-tax/index.html

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Judge can get the money in FA, is it really our right to tell him not to do so?  Also, NY has high taxes that will probably only increase as the budget shortfall increases as rich people leave the state (like they've been doing since Covid).  Also, the link below is about a potential "billionaire's tax" that applies to people with $100M and over (not sure how "$100M = billionaire").  There is also the concern about inflation eating away at the value of money.  Plus, he probably wants to set his family up for generations.  And ideally he'd want to just live off the interest that his money earns so that he never eats into the principal.  Not easy to earn much interest these days (plus inflation is much higher than the interest he'd be earning in a bank or buying a treasury).

This is his chance at a massive payday.  I can't blame the guy for wanting to maximize it.  Btw, I could still see the Yanks signing him next year anyway.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/26/politics/white-house-billionaire-minimum-income-tax/index.html

The city of Philadelphia is introducing a tax on on held stocks (excluding IRA's). Without looking to get political, there is an attack on the wealthy occurring.

• Upvote 1

I wish Judge took the offer and signed.

But he's a class act on the field and it's his right to be on himself. I think he's crazy but hopefully he wins a world series here this year and gets a bigger contract.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I wouldn't call him selfish, that Yanks also could have extended him at any time in the last 3 years, they chose not to.

He can bet on himself, and maybe some team will give him a 300 million dollar contract.

He can bet on himself but don't give us that bullsh*t about wanting to be a Yankee for life and then turn down an offer that's more than fair. Just come out and say it's about the money.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

He can bet on himself but don't give us that bullsh*t about wanting to be a Yankee for life and then turn down an offer that's more than fair. Just come out and say it's about the money.

Exactly.  What he should have said was, "I want to be a Yankee for life if the money is right".

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 9:49 AM, NIGHT STALKER said:

How much money does this guy need? He's an idiot for turning down this offer, but the Yankees are idiots for offering that much money.....That's one reason why baseball has gone downhill....It's hard to root for greed.  But I digress, I will always be a Yankees fan.  Having favorite players left me decades ago and I feel sorry for the kids today who worship these players as I did during the 50's and 60's.  It's different times for sure, but kids don't realize that.

If I'm the Yanks, trade him now and get yourself some starting pitching before this injury prone player gives you nothing.

You've always rooted for greed.  The Yankees have had among the highest payrolls in baseball for the last 25 years.  

The Yankees turn a massive profit every year, don't worry about their payroll.  Steinbrenner is doing just fine.

3 hours ago, adb280z said:

You've always rooted for greed.  The Yankees have had among the highest payrolls in baseball for the last 25 years.  

The Yankees turn a massive profit every year, don't worry about their payroll.  Steinbrenner is doing just fine.

LOL, I've always rooted for what?  Greed?  You have got to be kidding me.  I'm 74 years old...don't include me in what you think Yankee fans are rooting for.

46 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

LOL, I've always rooted for what?  Greed?  You have got to be kidding me.  I'm 74 years old...don't include me in what you think Yankee fans are rooting for.

Why are you singling out the player for being greedy?  He has a limited window to make money he should do what is right for him.  Just like the team will do what they they think is right for them.

I used that term because you started with the concept that Judge is greedy.  You have, as a fan, been the beneficiary of "greedy" players who have taken Yankee money.

1 hour ago, adb280z said:

Why are you singling out the player for being greedy?  He has a limited window to make money he should do what is right for him.  Just like the team will do what they they think is right for them.

I used that term because you started with the concept that Judge is greedy.  You have, as a fan, been the beneficiary of "greedy" players who have taken Yankee money.

Listen, all players today are out for money...not just Yankee players.  He is being "greedy"...that's my opinion.  It isn't like he's in his twenties.  He's 30 years old and wants a 10 year contract at 30 mil plus a year.  That's nuts.  Let some other team sign him for that kind of contract.  You're trying to school me on what you think I've been as a fan...that's comical.  My childhood player was Mickey Mantle and the most he made was 100 grand a year...YEAH, PLAYERS TODAY ARE GREEDY!  

4 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Listen, all players today are out for money...not just Yankee players.  He is being "greedy"...that's my opinion.  It isn't like he's in his twenties.  He's 30 years old and wants a 10 year contract at 30 mil plus a year.  That's nuts.  Let some other team sign him for that kind of contract.  You're trying to school me on what you think I've been as a fan...that's comical.  My childhood player was Mickey Mantle and the most he made was 100 grand a year...YEAH, PLAYERS TODAY ARE GREEDY!  

Mickey Mantle would have been greedy too if free agency existed.

Judge is betting on himself.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  

7 hours ago, adb280z said:

You're missing my point...whether you're Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron or Aaron Judge and you're asking for a 10 year contract at 30 years old (and a history of injuries by the way) at 30 mil a year, you're out of your mind.  Now, if he was 25, 26 years old that's a different story.  And I believe most Yankee fans feel the same way.  By the way, Aaron Judge couldn't carry any of the jocks with the names I mentioned above.

• Upvote 2

On 4/25/2022 at 8:45 AM, NIGHT STALKER said:

You're missing my point...whether you're Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron or Aaron Judge and you're asking for a 10 year contract at 30 years old (and a history of injuries by the way) at 30 mil a year, you're out of your mind.  Now, if he was 25, 26 years old that's a different story.  And I believe most Yankee fans feel the same way.  By the way, Aaron Judge couldn't carry any of the jocks with the names I mentioned above.

A 10 year contract given to Williams, Mays and Aaron would have paid off for their teams.  Mantle was done by 36.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:49 AM, adb280z said:

He'll get his $300million payday from Cashman next offseason after raking this year.  Problem is he's way too injury prone.  4-5 years from now we will be stuck in the same situation years ago when Arod, Tex and CC were all here stuck with huge locked in contracts but could no longer play

• 2 weeks later...

Well Judge is off to a hot start so he’s definitely going to get more than the $240m that the yanks offered. Whether it be from the Mets, Padres or whoever someone will pay him around $300m. Yanks should just give him what he wants he’s the face of the franchise. Remember, a 31 year old Robbie Cano got a $260m contract almost 7 years ago. So Judge is definitely in for a payday 

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well Judge is off to a hot start so he’s definitely going to get more than the $240m that the yanks offered. Whether it be from the Mets, Padres or whoever someone will pay him around $300m. Yanks should just give him what he wants he’s the face of the franchise. Remember, a 31 year old Robbie Cano got a $260m contract almost 7 years ago. So Judge is definitely in for a payday 

Yeah, but how is that contract working out for the teams that are paying Cano?

It's not the $ per year, it's the length of the deal. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:39 PM, adb280z said:

A 10 year contract given to Williams, Mays and Aaron would have paid off for their teams.  Mantle was done by 36.

Mantle was done as an elite player at 32.  Mays was still putting up good #s until he was 35.  

Hank Aaron was a freak of nature who hit 40 home runs at age 39.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Yeah, but how is that contract working out for the teams that are paying Cano?

It's not the $ per year, it's the length of the deal. 

I mean obviously you realize those last few years will be a waste of money given their production will fall off, but it’s what teams do regardless.

there’s no salary cap anyway in baseball so I don’t know why teams care 

33 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean obviously you realize those last few years will be a waste of money given their production will fall off, but it’s what teams do regardless.

Cano was actually just cut today, still owed 44 million.

Well, if teams don't care, then just pay him 50 million a year.   There is still a soft cap, and a bad deal is still a bad deal.

If you give him 8 years, 300 million, and he sucks for the last 3, really you paid him 300 million for 5 years, or 60 million per good season.   That simply is not smart.

19 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

And the yankees were right to not resign Cano

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Even if there's no cap tying up $90+million  between Stanton, Judge and Cole is simply not smart business practice.  It reduces flexibility to sign players at other positions.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Walkoff 3 run home run tonight. That $240m offer looking pretty pedestrian right now. Either give the man his $300m or he’ll be playing somewhere else next year 

Easy to say in a game like last night...in other games this year, he has struggled with players in scoring position.  Listen, we're only a little over a month into the season with over 130 games to go.

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Easy to say in a game like last night...in other games this year, he has struggled with players in scoring position.  Listen, we're only a little over a month into the season with over 130 games to go.

He leads the league in HRs lol

• Upvote 1