Bills eyeing Christian McCaffrey

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

You’re right, but at the same time just taking on that salary alone could be a tough pill to swallow for the Jets

Looking at his contract it says $8.1M of 2022 salary fully guarantees on 3/21/2021 (injury guaranteed now). After that I don't see any guarantees. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffery-21749/

2022: Base Salary $1,035,000, Restructure Bonus $7,365,000, Workout Bonus $200,000, YEARLY CASH: $8,600,000

2023: Base Salary $11,800,000, Workout Bonus $200,000, YEARLY CASH: $12,000,000

2024: Base Salary $11,800,000, Workout Bonus $200,000, YEARLY CASH: $12,000,000

2025: Base Salary $12,000,000, Workout Bonus $200,000, YEARLY CASH: $12,200,000

2026: UFA

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I saw this report Buffalo is interested in him. The Jets are sitting at 4 and the Panthers are sitting at 6. I wouldn't mind the Jets swapping with the Panthers as part of a deal to land Christian McCaffrey. Not sure what it would take, but he seems like the perfect safety net for Zach Wilson. I know McCaffrey has red flags when it comes to staying healthy, but he's white chocolate Deebo when he's healthy. 

Different situation for the Bills. If McCafferey missed entire season, but could play in the playoffs.. they'd be ok with it. The Jets would hurt if he missed time in the regular season. 

If the Jets want McCaffrey they shouldn't have to move back from 4 to 6 to do it. He's a great talent but he's another overpaid RB. Jets should be able to get him for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Not that there is any evidence they are interested, but if they were I would think that would be the price. He's hurt all the time also.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Trading draft assets and eating cap space in a player whose best football was 2 years ago would be the Jetsiest thing we could do.

You have to Gronk him. Put him on a team, let him play in important games . Rest him till playoffs and then he  scored couple times in Super Bowl. Yeah, not us. Haha 

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

We don’t need guys who are great offensive weapons… they might get hurt making big plays.
-Jet fans

If you’ve watched even a modicum of this team over the last few years, you know that the Jets needs guys who are likely to stay on the field, more than anything else.

why would the jets invest heavily in a 6th year running back (news flash: that’s not young) who has played 10 games since 2019? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

If you’ve watched even a modicum of this team over the last few years, you know that the Jets needs guys who are likely to stay on the field, more than anything else.

why would the jets invest heavily in a 6th year running back (news flash: that’s not young) who has played 10 games since 2019? 

I’d argue that if you watched a modicum of Jets football over the last few years, we need to sign him 

1. because he’s 25,

2. signed for 3 more years,

3. a great offensive weapon (and we have about, uh… none of those?)

if you don’t want to sign good players because they might get hurt, let’s just keep winning 2-4 games each year with bad ones who get hurt.

• Upvote 1

RB is a position as important as Safety on this team. That’s not hyperbole.

The Jets draft guys in the 4th round and sign vets like Tevin Coleman.

In THIS system if you want to build a killer rushing attack then you go look for a gifted, quick, elite…… offensive lineman. Yup, you do. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’d argue that if you watched a modicum of Jets football over the last few years, we need to sign him 

1. because he’s 25,

if you don’t want to sign good players because they might get hurt, let’s just keep winning 2-4 games each year with bad ones who get hurt.

Sigh.

He’a a running back entering his 6th year. He had a bunch of touches his first three years. He hasn’t played much the last two. You don’t want him signed for 3 more years! Lol 

y’all have to be smarter than this 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Bills add McCaffrey and theyre gunna be unstoppable if he can stay healthy. 

Having said that it would be dumb for us to trade assets for him bc we are terrible and can’t spend both draft asset and a big cap charge to pay him just to barely sniff the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

1. because he’s 25,

I'd argue that if you watched a modicum of football in the last few years you would know how little smart teams value RBs and how every rb that gets a big deal disappoints. 

It's why you rarely see teams draft  rbs high in the first round anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'd argue that if you watched a modicum of football in the last few years you would know how little smart teams value RBs and how every rb that gets a big deal disappoints. 

I'm with you and I don't know what that means or if it's really relevant, but I was surprised to find out that 4 of the last 6 teams in the Superbowl have a RB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bingo 

A lot of us have been saying this for years 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Sigh.

He’a a running back entering his 6th year. He had a bunch of touches his first three years. He hasn’t played much the last two. You don’t want him signed for 3 more years! Lol 

y’all have to be smarter than this 

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I get the arguments against this, but I’m just tired of watching a losing roster filled with jags. I’d take the chance.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter though, the Jets aren’t the team interested anyway. It seems the Bills might be though.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I get the arguments against this, but I’m just tired of watching a losing roster filled with jags. I’d take the chance.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter though, the Jets aren’t the team interested anyway. It seems the Bills might be though.

I don't know about you GreenGhost, but I can't stomach passing up on the next chance to draft a Denzel Mims or Ashytn Davis. That's simply too much to give up for a running back who's 25 years old and is capable of 1000 yards receiving and 1000 yards rushing. Didn't you hear, he's only played 10 games in the last two seasons? Another thing, we can't use up our cap space in 2022, because it will be needed for the next in-season extension for a stud like John Franklin-Myers. Thankfully we have a super smart GM in Joe Douglas building the right way. Our focus should be on winning 2 more games than last year, and not getting our asses kicked by more than double digits. Kapeesh?

• Sympathy 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:57 AM, playtowinthegame said:

I saw this report Buffalo is interested in him. The Jets are sitting at 4 and the Panthers are sitting at 6. I wouldn't mind the Jets swapping with the Panthers as part of a deal to land Christian McCaffrey. Not sure what it would take, but he seems like the perfect safety net for Zach Wilson. I know McCaffrey has red flags when it comes to staying healthy, but he's white chocolate Deebo when he's healthy. 

So basically the Jets should be Carolina North?

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

RB is a position as important as Safety on this team. That’s not hyperbole.

The Jets draft guys in the 4th round and sign vets like Tevin Coleman.

In THIS system if you want to build a killer rushing attack then you go look for a gifted, quick, elite…… offensive lineman. Yup, you do. 

I'd much prefer a great OL to a great RB.  A lot of RBs can look great when they're running through wide open spaces.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2022 at 10:32 AM, JiFapono said:

It's bizarre to me how the Bills treat Devin Singletary.  It's like every year since drafting him, they want desperately to replace him or prefer a different option but yet, Singletary just balls.  I dont get it.  Dude averages 4.7 ypc and he is an incredible receiver out of the backfield.  Especially after this season, they went on that weird stretch where their offense sucked and his touches were single digits.  As soon as they started getting him involved in the offense, they took off! 

He must not be blessed with the abs/calves combo of Braxton Berrios. 

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

A team that's inches from a super bowl can take that chance on CMC. 

A team like the jets would just be appeasing psl owners who don't care about building a super bowl team and just want a competitive team to watch on Sundays. 

JD seems uninterested in short term fixes.