Pauline: Jets thirsty for Trevor Penning at 10.

“Penning could come off the board as early as No. 10 to the New York Jets. I’ve been reporting since the Senior Bowl that Penning is a favorite of general manager Joe Douglas. As we spoke about during last week’s edition of the Draft Insiders, the saga with Mekhi Becton continues.

Jets coaches have confided to several players the team will go offensive tackle early in the draft. Whether early means the fourth selection, 10th pick, or the top of Round 2, I cannot tell at this point.”

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Hughes made an interesting comment on his podcast a few weeks ago when answering a question about possibly acquiring JC Tretter. He said the Jets were looking to get “nastier” up front and Douglas and/or Saleh felt like they had some soft guys playing along the OL. Not that Becton has the rep of being soft, but the one thing you read about Penning is that he’s a savage. Feels like they should try to flip Becton for picks and stop hoping he matures, especially if you’re in a position to replace him with a high-level player who’s ready to go to war with you.

but does he love football

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hughes made an interesting comment on his podcast a few weeks ago when answering a question about possibly acquiring JC Tretter. He said the Jets were looking to get “nastier” up front and Douglas and/or Saleh felt like they had some soft guys playing along the OL. Not that Becton has the rep of being soft, but the one thing you read about Penning is that he’s a savage. Feels like they should try to flip Becton for picks and stop hoping he matures, especially if you’re in a position to replace him with a high-level player who’s ready to go to war with you.

What could you get for Becton right now though?

I doubt a first.  Maybe a 2nd, likely a 3rd.  Or something like a 3rd and 5th.

If you're going to draft a T at 10, then you should probably just pull the trigger on a deal like that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What could you get for Becton right now though?

I doubt a first.  Maybe a 2nd, likely a 3rd.  Or something like a 3rd and 5th.

If you're going to draft a T at 10, then you should probably just pull the trigger on a deal like that.

I would guess you could get a pretty hefty return for him. He’s a legitimate left tackle, and after Penning comes off the board, the tackle class falls off to Tyler Smith and Bernhard Raimann. Someone with a late first would probably bite.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

From saleh’s perspective, it’s easy to see him pushing douglas to trade becton if they go OL in round 1, esp. if they keep fant at LT and draft a nasty RT.  That would continue the transformation to the 49er run-first offense.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

From saleh’s perspective, it’s easy to see him pushing douglas to trade becton if they go OL in round 1, esp. if they keep fant at LT and draft a nasty RT.  That would continue the transformation to the 49er run-first offense.

Purge the locker room of malcontents and slackers.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder if that applies more to Connor McGovern.  JD recently tried to replace him with the C from Tampa who I think has a reputation of being "nasty" (in a good way for an OL)

• Upvote 1

I certainly can see Penning fitting the Jets wish list.

I think both Douglas and Saleh want a roster full of sh*t kickers.  Penning certainly fits that.  

I just personally can’t swallow taking a backup at 10.  Then again, maybe they are confident they could move Becton.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Purge the locker room of malcontents and slackers.

Another reason why mims is likely out as well, but i don’t think wr is going to be drafted in the first round.  I think it’s easier to see a scenario where the jets go edge/OL in round 1 and douglas has a trade in place for becton.  And then wr in round 2.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would guess you could get a pretty hefty return for him. He’s a legitimate left tackle, and after Penning comes off the board, the tackle class falls off to Tyler Smith and Bernhard Raimann. Someone with a late first would probably bite.

I mean.  If he worries them enough that they feel the need to draft T at #10 and they can pick up a late 1 or even a one next year - Pull the trigger.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Another reason why mims is likely out as well, but i don’t think wr is going to be drafted in the first round.  I think it’s easier to see a scenario where the jets go edge/OL in round 1 and douglas has a trade in place for becton.  And then wr in round 2.

Or Becton as part of a package for DK?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

As hard as I am on Becton, I'm nervous to let him go.  His ceiling is Ogden.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think the guys drafted before saleh and his staff arrived are all on thin ice here.  And in a draft where the jets have picks 4 and 10, where there’s no real good wr prospects and lots of edge rushers, OL is a real possibility in round 1.  And becton can’t stay healthy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I know Pauline used to be pretty keyed into the Jets FO...does he still have those kind of connections?

He's about the only one I've seen that has linked Penning to the Jets at 10....or even Penning that early in the first.

I’ve read and heard in a few places that the Jets staff was deeply in love with Penning at the Senior Bowl

I know Douglas wasn’t the GM in Philly but it’s believed he was a major part of the draft process there and in 2019 they drafted Andre Dillard at LT even though at the time the eagles had a top 5 oline … granted Jason Peters was old and they were probably viewing Dillard to fill in there but nonetheless they used a mid first rounder on a 6th olineman that was undoubtedly not cracking their starting lineup so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe that Douglas could go Oline AND still believe Becton is the future

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve read and heard in a few places that the Jets staff was deeply in love with Penning at the Senior Bowl

True but you also heard JD say that they're operating like Becton and Fant will be their 2 tackles next year.  I think it's all smoke right now.  That said, I'm confident the closer we get to the draft that the first 2 picks are going to play close the LOS, so 100% could see this being fire.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JiFapono said:

True but you also heard JD say that they're operating like Becton and Fant will be their 2 tackles next year.  I think it's all smoke right now.  That said, I'm confident the closer we get to the draft that the first 2 picks are going to play close the LOS, so 100% could see this being fire.

I am sure Douglas wants to make the Becton pick work out, but I am equally sure that Saleh would drive Becton to the airport to get him out of here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm not at all ready to give up on Becton either.  I feel like people are forgetting how well he played his rookie year.  I guess JD is probably thinking that if Becton is too risky to count on that he'd be better off trading him "too early" (and get some value in return) rather than "too late" (and get nothing).  But it would be kind of bad if he didn't see those risks at the time he drafted a 370 lb OT (or whatever his weight was). 

• Upvote 4

Pauline knows jack sh*te:  He is the one who reported last year the Jets culture was still toxic under Saleh.  Still no evidence of this..

And his following gems prior to Free Agency:

“According to PFN’s Tony Pauline, New York is showing a lot of interest in impending free-agent center Bradley Bozeman. They are also high on Ryan Jensen, viewed as the top center available this offseason.”

“According to Pauline, New York is prepared to make a run at Pro Bowl edge rusher Za’Darius Smith once he is released by the Green Bay Packers. The Jets do have a slight advantage, with Smith’s former teammate C.J. Mosley prepared to recruit him.”

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1