Pauline: Jets thirsty for Trevor Penning at 10.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If you read this thread, George Fant, apparently. 

Currently QW deserves the bag. I don't care how many years they have him under control. Sign him before he makes Pro Bowls and prices his way higher 

If the Seahawks think Malik Willis is their QB, this is the deal they do.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The Jets have zero tackles under contract past this season. There's no secret deal. There's no convoluted ploy to trade down. It's exactly what it looks like.

Becton's under contract past this season (not counting the 5th year option they'd surely exercise if he doesn't facepalm the season away again). So that's one more year after this season, and possibly two, not counting whatever the team may seek in terms of extending that.

Fant is a UFA after the season, no doubt. But also no doubt he can be franchise tagged, and his recent tweet suggests he would like an extension rather than counting the days until he can leave this godforsaken team. 

Even still, a more long-term view of Fant could be that they have him for $10MM this year + 18MM next year, if they so desire. So looked at that way it's $14MM/year x 2 years for a veteran starting LT. After that, also if they want to, I doubt he'd break the bank to lock him up further. 

There's also door #3 which is Becton could actually play well enough to warrant returning to his role at LT (no I'm not holding my breath, but it's hardly some shot in the dark chance either). Anyway in that case then the team's just searching for a RT, which isn't crazy-hard to fill (nor crazy-expensive in terms of dollars or draft capital, unless the team chooses to go balls deep on one). 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Is Fant a mauler? No. Did Fant take the season off to play GTA V? Also no.

But when the coaching staff is talking about being more nasty up front, not being a mauler seems like problem. It’s almost like we needed them to clarify. Are they talking about availability? Or maybe it’s both. We are about to find out in a few weeks.

I don’t believe this is smoke at all. The Jets being interested in an OT has bern brought up all offseason. Mostly centered around Enunwa though.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Got to keep Fant by extending or franchising. Can’t keep letting guys go. At some point not everyone is a rental but core. There’s a cost to ongoing churn and uncertainty at positions that could be locked down.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand wanting to trade Becton for pennies on the dollar. Forget giving up on him or being frustrated that he's been hurt (last season all because of GVR by the way), but taking a 3rd or 4th round pick for him now is just bad business. I can understand wanting an insurance policy but what is the rush to get this dude off the team?

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Pauline is constantly wrong. Look at what he was saying last year regarding the draft and fa. Don’t think he was right about anything except Zach which seemed like the consensus. Look at fa this year. He didn’t get anything right yet again. This dude has no sources left and just throws sh*t at the wall hoping it sticks 

Sorry, but I read his blog, and this is complete bullsh*t. Like you said, he was the first to report the Jets were smitten with Zach Wilson. Right before the 2021 draft started, he was the only one to report the Jets were interested in trading up from #23 and that the 49ers had convinced Shanahan to move off Mac Jones and draft Trey Lance. Those are just examples.

Do some of his "predictions" not turn out to happen? Of course. That's the case with any analyst. But he obviously has some good sources.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Sorry, but I read his blog, and this is complete bullsh*t. Like you said, he was the first to report the Jets were smitten with Zach Wilson. Right before the 2021 draft started, he was the only one to report the Jets were interested in trading up from #23 and that the 49ers had convinced Shanahan to move off Mac Jones and draft Trey Lance. Those are just examples.

Do some of his "predictions" not turn out to happen? Of course. That's the case with any analyst. But he obviously has some good sources.

It’s not bullsh*t. Who was he predicting the team to target in fa in 2021. Was he right about any of them? This year he mentioned a bunch of guys who none of them signed. Including Bozeman who signed elsewhere for under 3 mil. Obviously that means there was 0 interest. 

listen to him all you want man, but he’s full of bs just like the rest of them 

On 4/9/2022 at 12:34 PM, CanadaSteve said:

They can also keep Becton as depth.  He's on a rookie deal.  

Yes...It SUCKS we are considering another top 10 pick for OL.  That said, I would rather admit early that an improvement on Becton can happen rather than play him for five years and watch Wilson decline because of it.

I hope Douglas doesn't follow your advice in bold. 

Keep him to what end? I mean, let's say they do that and he's pure depth this year -- then what? Keep him as depth again next year, after you've decimated his trade value by benching him, then decline the 5th year option for 2024, and then (if they lose more UFAs than they sign in 2024) get back a 4th-6th round comp pick for him in the 2025 draft?

Plus Becton isn't the player I'd choose to have coming off the bench and stepping right in without regular 1st team reps. A veteran is better suited for that role (not to mention we should be netting at worst a day 2 pick for Becton and pocketing it). 

The problem with Becton wasn't his play; it was his not playing. If he's playing for 2-3 more years on his rookie deal that isn't a problem.

If Saleh/Douglas are giving up on Becton then Douglas has to trade him now, while another team sees his dirt-cheap cost (under $3MM/year) as part of the reason they'd surrender more than just a day 3 pick (get top 10 skill for 2nd-3rd string money, and don't give up a pick until 2023 since the Jets have more then enough 2022 picks).

But Douglas had better draft a perennial AP/PB tackle and not a meh year-to-year tackle he could find as a UFA every year (including right now) if he's going to pass up on adding a skill-position starter to instead swap out an existing non-skill-position one. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I hope Douglas doesn't follow your advice in bold. 

Keep him to what end? I mean, let's say they do that and he's pure depth this year -- then what? Keep him as depth again next year, after you've decimated his trade value by benching him, then decline the 5th year option for 2024, and then (if they lose more UFAs than they sign in 2024) get back a 4th-6th round comp pick for him in the 2025 draft?

Plus Becton isn't the player I'd choose to have coming off the bench and stepping right in without regular 1st team reps. A veteran is better suited for that role (not to mention we should be netting at worst a day 2 pick for Becton and pocketing it). 

The problem with Becton wasn't his play; it was his not playing. If he's playing for 2-3 more years on his rookie deal that isn't a problem.

If Saleh/Douglas are giving up on Becton then Douglas has to trade him now, while another team sees his dirt-cheap cost (under $3MM/year) as part of the reason they'd surrender more than just a day 3 pick (get top 10 skill for 2nd-3rd string money, and don't give up a pick until 2023 since the Jets have more then enough 2022 picks).

But Douglas had better draft a perennial AP/PB tackle and not a meh year-to-year tackle he could find as a UFA every year (including right now) if he's going to pass up on adding a skill-position starter to instead swap out an existing non-skill-position one. 

Sorry, my comment was meant to mean if they couldn't trade him.  If they have lost faith in the dude and can't trade him, they could just outright release him as well.  That said, IF they want to move on, I have no doubt there would be a taker.   

I personally think he will come back and play quite strong; many on here do not share that sentiment.

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sorry, my comment was meant to mean if they couldn't trade him.  If they have lost faith in the dude and can't trade him, they could just outright release him as well.  That said, IF they want to move on, I have no doubt there would be a taker.   

I personally think he will come back and play quite strong; many on here do not share that sentiment.

Of course they can trade him -- but under no circumstances would he be released. That'd be like saying he's not worth the roster spot even if he's free, which he is (absent a trade) since he has a 100% fully guaranteed contract. What would they do, keep Edoga instead of him? ;) 

It's not my preference, based on what we know (accepting the team may know more), but there will be teams willing to trade for him, especially among those that pick later. Douglas can easily claim, "Hey we have 2 draft's worth of picks this year, and since our top pick(s) are in the top 10 we think we can push the restart button contract-wise by drafting someone new, and we're not contenders yet this year anyway." Accurate or not, as to how he feels, it's a passable/believable rationalization (since the alternative is convincing teams that we don't want him on our line, but he'd be good for others though, and gimme picks for him). Kinda like Rodney trying on Ted Knight's ugly hat in the pro shop: "Oh, looks good on you, though."

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Of course they can trade him and under no circumstances would he be released. That'd be like saying he's not worth the roster spot even if he's free, which he is (absent a trade) since he has a 100% fully guaranteed contract. What would they do, keep Edoga instead of him? ;) 

It's not my preference, based on what we know (accepting the team may know more), but there will be teams willing to trade for him, especially among those that pick later. Douglas can easily say, "Hey we have 2 draft's worth of picks this year, and since our top pick(s) are in the top 10 we think we can push the restart button contract-wise by drafting someone new, and we're not contenders yet this year anyway." Accurate or not, as to how he feels, it's a passable/believable rationalization (since the alternative is convincing teams that we don't want him on our line, but he'd be good for others though, and gimme picks for him). 

I could see it happening.  But would he trade Becton before the draft?  He does that, he tips his hand how he plans on drafting.  I think Becton will play this year and will be good.  But who knows.  

• Sympathy 1

Playing devil's advocate on Fant ... it's he good enough that he's a sure fire starter this coming year?

His pass blocking last year was very good, no complaints there. But his run blocking was average at best. Given that we want to be a "nasty" running team, is it possible that they want more from a LT if it's available?

Becton offered this in his first year, and IF (yes, big if) he stays healthy and plays like his year one self, he'll be our LT in 2022. If he stays healthy but doesn't play up to his year one abilities he'll more likely end up as RT.

This suggests to me that the team is less sold on Fant at LT than we may think. His recent tweet may tie into this ... "what's a guy got to do" to get paid like a LT rather than a possible RT? Do JD / Saleh see him as a long term LT? If so, why had he not been extended as one?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I could see it happening.  But would he trade Becton before the draft?  He does that, he tips his hand how he plans on drafting.  I think Becton will play this year and will be good.  But who knows.  

Not before, no. But at least have an idea who'd be interested (if he isn't already) and for how much. But no I wouldn't just stash a starting LT as  a backup so ideally it'd go through right after our pick, before the majority of round 1 is over.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not before, no. But at least have an idea who'd be interested (if he isn't already) and for how much. But no I wouldn't just stash a starting LT as  a backup so ideally it'd go through right after our pick, before the majority of round 1 is over.

I could see douglas having a trade in place, in case the jets go OL.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

I'm not including Becton because he can't fit through the tunnel, not because I don't know how long a rookie contract is.

Sure, thats the story.

On 4/9/2022 at 11:36 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm going to be sick if we take a T in the first round. I am big on o-line but we don't need to have a first round pick insurance policy at T. 

Ok, but what if….

On 4/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, T0mShane said:

Or Becton as part of a package for DK?

All this yapping about Becton is annoying. His first year he played very well as a rookie and was getting his feet wet and acclimating to the pro game. He made a lot of strides, personally and physically. He was hurt all year last year. Give it a break. It’s a tough game. Players are going to get injured. Burrows missed time his first year. Brady was injured and missed a lot of time. Etc etc etc. Becton has a lot to prove.  No doubt. Let’s just give him time to earn it. This coming year can be a more definitive outlook as what his future will be with the Jets. Until then y’all need to do the Chilly Willy. ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Agree, Pauline has got a ton right, he's said a number of things months ago that analysts are only now repeating. His past online character has been *ahem* a tad objectionable at times, but people only latch onto the misses he's had and not the hits. 100% he is hooked in to scouting community and some NFL FOs, to say he isn't is just absurd. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2022 at 7:27 AM, RVAJet815 said:

I don't understand wanting to trade Becton for pennies on the dollar. Forget giving up on him or being frustrated that he's been hurt (last season all because of GVR by the way), but taking a 3rd or 4th round pick for him now is just bad business. I can understand wanting an insurance policy but what is the rush to get this dude off the team?

It's the same people who were willing to trade Adams for a 2nd. They build in their own personal hatred of the player into the trade value. 

There would be teams lined up to take Becton off our hands. They don't get triggered by Becton's gaming hobby like many here 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

All this yapping about Becton is annoying. His first year he played very well as a rookie and was getting his feet wet and acclimating to the pro game. He made a lot of strides, personally and physically. He was hurt all year last year. Give it a break. It’s a tough game. Players are going to get injured. Burrows missed time his first year. Brady was injured and missed a lot of time. Etc etc etc. Becton has a lot to prove.  No doubt. Let’s just give him time to earn it. This coming year can be a more definitive outlook as what his future will be with the Jets. Until then y’all need to do the Chilly Willy. ? 

And again, just for the record, he got hurt not for bad technique, laziness, etc. GVR's dumb butt got beat (again) and he rolled over on Becton. That's a tough injury for anyone, let alone a man of Bec's size.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's the same people who were willing to trade Adams for a 2nd. They build in their own personal hatred of the player into the trade value. 

There would be teams lined up to take Becton off our hands. They don't get triggered by Becton's gaming hobby like many here 

Who is advocating trading Becton on the cheap? 

I have to say that when I first started reading about these guys, I was not a fan of Penning.  I have warmed to him a bit though.  PFF has him 5th LT behind Neal-Cross-Eknowu and Raimann.  Strangely they have Raimann as "top 10" and Eknowu as "first round" even though Ekonwu is 3 and Raimann 4.  They have Penning as "first round" with Neal and Cross as "top 10."  Penning does seem like a great fit, but the highlights aren't exactly against SEC competition.  PFF said "Tape at Northern Iowa looked like someone's Dad subbed into a Pop Warner game."

• 4 months later...
On 4/9/2022 at 10:59 AM, T0mShane said:

Hughes made an interesting comment on his podcast a few weeks ago when answering a question about possibly acquiring JC Tretter. He said the Jets were looking to get “nastier” up front and Douglas and/or Saleh felt like they had some soft guys playing along the OL. Not that Becton has the rep of being soft, but the one thing you read about Penning is that he’s a savage. Feels like they should try to flip Becton for picks and stop hoping he matures, especially if you’re in a position to replace him with a high-level player who’s ready to go to war with you.

ready to go to wARz

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You necro’d a thread to dunk on me, but you really just dunked on the clowns chirping about how fit Becton was before his legs collapsed beneath the weight of 385 lbs of pure cholesterol.

I know for a fact the pancakes he eats are packed with protein so you have no idea what you’re talking about. ??‍♂️

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You necro’d a thread to dunk on me, but you really just dunked on the clowns chirping about how fit Becton was before his legs collapsed beneath the weight of 385 lbs of pure cholesterol.

hmmm. My intention wasn't to dunk on you but I must admit when I got in here it did seem like fun.

It also seems fun that Bectons injury is because 385 lbs of cholesterol while the guy ready to go to waRZ is apparently because other stuff we won't get into.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

hmmm. My intention wasn't to dunk on you but I must admit when I got in here it did seem like fun.

It also seems fun that Bectons injury is because 385 lbs of cholesterol while the guy ready to go to waRZ is apparently because other stuff we won't get into.

Penning’s foot fell apart because he was carrying a 93 run block grade through the preseason and God smited him for his dominant cruelty toward lesser men.

• Haha 4