Dwayne Haskins dies after fatal accident

Bronx

46 minutes ago, Grandy said:

This is godawful.

Haskins was a f*ckin Human being who was working incredibly hard to improve at the hardest position in sports. He made some mistakes, so what? That doesn't make him any less of a person.

Brandt should never be heard from again after this. It's despicable.

After that quote?  And Haskins is my kid, relative or friend?   There is not a place on Earth Brandt could hide.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Noooo, not clowns...yes, you're correct about him working out here in FL...but, a lot of these guys choose FL for exactly the other "perks" as mentioned.  Also, he was killed on 595 which is an off ramp/road from I-95.  He apparently ran out of gas and left his vehicle and was hit by a dump truck...pronounced dead at the scene.  

They come here in March and April because the weather is perfect and because of the facilities being open all year.  Being in Boca Raton isn’t exactly slumming either for young people with money.

RIP

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

"Florida Man" and their penchant for engaging in proactive darwinism is a meme for a reason.  

Perhaps not the best time to joke that way, but it's hardly a sin. 

Ffs it's not like Haskins family is on JN reading it, so who exactly is offended here?

Wow wants to lump the poor guy into the "Florida man" trope lol. I guess its less tone deaf than the prior "these guys" comment oh fwiw the poor guy was from NJ. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

I have driven in Florida many times over the years. My experience is there is no speed too fast. Some areas are like drag strips, others like Indy car tracks. Never once have I seen someone pulled over for driving like a nut. There is no way I would ever get out of my car on the highway.

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

NEVER, EVER WALK ALONG A HIGHWAY. AND NEVER, NEVER EVER ATTEMPT TO CHANGE A TIRE ON A HIGHWAY. 

We have had at least a dozen SoFla Firefighters killed in the last 10 years trying to help people by changing a flat. All of them off duty, doing what we do - helping people.

Hell, as dangerous as our job can be Tow Truck drivers have jobs just as dangerous, but without the same kind of respect. 

My son-in-law is State police. For 1st year it was 75% of time on highway rte 78/24 Newark to 287.  Out of there now thankfully. Leading cause of Trooper death is getting hit along side of highway.  

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My son-in-law is State police. For 1st year it was 75% of time on highway rte 78/24 Newark to 287.  Out of there now thankfully. Leading cause of Trooper death is getting hit along side of highway.  

I drive that everyday at 5:30 am. What amazes me is the amount of people on their phone at that time.

I simply do not get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

The real question is what is your underlying motivation to type something like that.

"these guys" 

Underlying?  WTF are you talking about?  I live here in FL...for decades and know why people come to FL.  It's your hangup looking for something negative YOU thought I meant.

I feel bad for Haskin's fam too. He was their meal ticket, hoping he got that 2nd contract. Now.....? Whatever's left of his rookie pay will be divided up equally I guess. These top athletes always buy their mom a new home, cadi, etc, and take care of their hommies. That's all gone now.

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Im glad everything was ok. 

In 2017, my station, particularly me and my crew, had a rough year. Our station was on a major roadway into West Palm (Okeechobee Blvd). We worked about an average of 3 fatal accidents a month, and then it ramped up even more November/December. 

I have always been whats called a "Black Cloud" in the Fire Service. 

When the position of lead Fire Investigator opened, I jumped on it. 

Best decision I ever made for my mental health and career.

My father in law is a fireman 

I have a lot of respect for what ya’ll do 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Ben Had said:

I always wounder how these star athlete's think. You have millions and run out of gas, or have a car that breaks down? 

Anywho... it is a tragedy.

They are 24-year old kids with way more in their plays than the average Joe. It happens. It should be deadly risk to run out of gas.

16 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Underlying?  WTF are you talking about?  I live here in FL...for decades and know why people come to FL.  It's your hangup looking for something negative YOU thought I meant.

So? Why did he come to Florida?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So? Why did he come to Florida?

Besides working out?  My guess he came to FL for reasons already mentioned.  Weather, women, beach, fishing, boating...everything I did when I first came to FL.  Listen, I don't mince words...if some of you guys think I have some underlying reasoning going on, I would have said it.  Having said that, it's not just the weather because plenty of guys go out west to work out.

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Besides working out?  My guess he came to FL for reasons already mentioned.  Weather, women, beach, fishing, boating...everything I did when I first came to FL.  Listen, I don't mince words...if some of you guys think I have some underlying reasoning going on, I would have said it.  Having said that, it's not just the weather because plenty of guys go out west to work out.

I struggle to see why this is pertinent or something that was worth bringing up.

I mean, the guy had a fluke accident kill him. What are you even going for here?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I struggle to see why this is pertinent or something that was worth bringing up.

I mean, the guy had a fluke accident kill him. What are you even going for here?

Was it a fluke accident?  Not that it matters, but Im betting there is more to this story that will come out shortly.  I am suspecting alcohol played a role in this.  Hope I am wrong.

18 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Had to change a flat on the highway once. Incredibly anxiety inducing situation as it is, made worse worse by being mid day in peak Summer, with a cancer sick dog in the backseat, at the beginning of a 150+ mile drive. **** that. At least the flat was on the right side of the car at least.

I'll tell you though, being in that situation, you learn to change a tire real quick.

No way I’d ever do that, I’m calling AAA

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

No way I’d ever do that, I’m calling AAA

I think the nightmare scenario is your car breaking down just after a bend.  That is how my friend died.  In that case, you have to exit the car immediately and rush to the shoulder.   Always call the authorities 

• Upvote 1