Athletic Report: A ‘ton‘ of free agents have said no to NYJ

the jets are a terrible team with a gm that totally blew his first draft, a coach that is unproven but he is a d "expert" and coached the jets to one of the worst defenses in the league and a rookie qb that many think is not going to be a great qb.
The only way you can get elite players or even very good players to come to the Jets right now is to grossly overpay something Joe has shown he is not willing to do. The only way the jets get out of the basement of the AFC  is for Joe to nail this draft in a BIG way. If Joe is smart(that is a big if) he needs to draft game changer playmakers-WR and an Edge rusher.  I believe drafting a defensive back with one of the first two picks is criminal at this point.  

another pithy analysis from fake fan - well done laddy!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That will show even more this year when they win btwn 7-9 games.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

If Zach takes a leap and if players stay healthy I think they can win 7-8 games next season. It would be a huge improvement but it's not absurd to think that. This would IMMEDIATELY make this a team that was viewed as young, ascending and attractive to more FAs.   

not that you guys will do this, but go look at the list of games, who they play and where, and point out where they get to 7-9 wins. Like, who on this list do they beat? 

i barely see 5

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/new-york-jets-2022-opponents-nfl

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not that you guys will do this, but go look at the list of games, who they play and where, and point out where they get to 7-9 wins. Like, who on this list do they beat? 

i barely see 5

Because every team is the same from year to year. We do this every year and fans (not you in particular, everyone) suck at this exercise. They're in the bottom tier of talent in the AFC at this moment, but nothing is set in stone. A step forward by the offense would do them wonders.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Because every team is the same from year to year. We do this every year and fans (not you in particular, everyone) suck at this exercise. They're in the bottom tier of talent in the AFC at this moment, but nothing is set in stone. A step forward by the offense would do them wonders.

yeah. Every team in our division got better. In the case of Miami, much better. 

I dont think they win a single division game, which means they aren't getting to 8 

• Upvote 2

Just now, BigRy56 said:

It's really silly at this point. Spend a lot, it's wreckless... don't spend like JAX, nobody wants to come here. No matter the circumstances, it will always end up in an article to get those Jet fan clicks

Until the Jets start proving the clowns in the media wrong, they will continue to drum up nonsense like this. 

i barely see 5

I did look, lol. 

Lions, Bears, Jags, Hawks are ALL very much winable. Depending on the way both teams are playing we could even be favored in these matchups. 

Steelers, Vikings: tough games but not teams I am convinced the Jets can't beat.

Division Matchups are always tough for both teams:

Dolphins (x2)- I know they have Hill and a great D but I am not scared of Tua. These two games could be close/tough.  

Pats (x2)- Not scared of the Pats and Jones. Same as above. These two games will be close/tough. 

Bills (x2)- The Jets will most likely get their butts kicked. 

So maybe we come out of these six games with 2 wins? Not good, but the division is tough.

Browns: This is a wildcard. If Watson comes back with a ton of rust and is playing like trash early on and the Jets get the Browns early, they could very well beat them. If Watson comes in playing like a Pro-Bowler, this is most likely a loss. 

Broncos, Bengals, Ravens, GB are losses IMO. The teams and the QBs leading those teams are just too good. However, even then we DID beat the Bengals last year, so crazier s**t has happened. 

So YES, I looked at the teams and the Jets, if relatively healthy and with better play from Zach and this defense CAN and SHOULD win more games- as many as 8

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I dont think they win a single division game, which means they aren't getting to 8 

Buffalo, fine. Whole other level. Granted. New England is NOT better. Miami's much Better? Ehhhhh. I dunno. I mean they bolstered their D and added Hill to their offense, which is great. I'm still gonna point to Tua til he proves me wrong. Him AND that OL, even with Terron added to it? I don't see it. And if Tua's not it...Meh. I can easily make a case that a London or Wilson and a Zach step up is just as big. Point is, I don't think we can just throw our hands up and point to 2024. We're due for a positive regression to the mean, right? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I did look, lol. 

Lions, Bears, Jags, Hawks are ALL very much winable. Depending on the way both teams are playing we could even be favored in these matchups. 

Steelers, Vikings: tough games but not teams I am convinced the Jets can't beat.

Division Matchups are always tough for both teams:

Dolphins (x2)- I know they have Hill and a great D but I am not scared of Tua. These two games could be close/tough.  

Pats (x2)- Not scared of the Pats and Jones. Same as above. These two games will be close/tough. 

Bills (x2)- The Jets will most likely get their butts kicked. 

So maybe we come out of these six games with 2 wins? Not good, but the division is tough.

Browns: This is a wildcard. If Watson comes back with a ton of rust and is playing like trash early on and the Jets get the Browns early, they could very well beat them. If Watson comes in playing like a Pro-Bowler, this is most likely a loss. 

Broncos, Bengals, Ravens, GB are losses IMO. The teams and the QBs leading those teams are just too good. However, even then we DID beat the Bengals last year, so crazier s**t has happened. 

So YES, I looked at the teams and the Jets, if relatively healthy and with better play from Zach and this defense CAN and SHOULD win more games- as many as 8

i appreciate the effort but you're playing fast and loose with those 2 division wins.

The Pats games aren't close/tough. They blow out the Jets to the tune of 30 point margins. They've won like the last 12 contests, handily.

Miami (10-2 vs the Jets recently) yeah Tua might implode but most fans miss they also signed Teddy Bridgewater. we might not be "scared" of these players but Teddy especially can find Tyreek Hill and Waddle. Teddy Bridgewater i hate to say it is more reliable than Tua and Zach too. He has no upside but this year 2022 he's a veteran QB doesn't need to "get better" to run an effective offense. 

Miami is the type of team that can play NE tough and possibly upset Buffalo. The Jets it will require a miracle draft, staying healthy and Zach becoming awesome before they can compete in the division. 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Players take a look at what's going on in the real world, and everyone has or is leaving NYC for better weather, communities, taxes, cost of living, etc. 

On top of that, this franchise hasn't produced a SB birth in any current player's lives. Based on last season's QB play, the franchise isn't trending towards one anytime soon, either.

On top of that, this GM has (rightly) been careful with his boss's money. Even the big money contracts he's given out have been good value. FAs/Sign and Trade candidates are looking for the Maccagnan type that will overpay. 

Add it all up, and this should not be news, it's business as usual. Frankly, I'm not upset. I don't want the Tyreek type of player anyways.

Most major urban areas are losing population. On the other hand, NYC has come back roaring in their real estate markets. Try to rent an apartment in any decent area and you'll find very quickly that NYC is far from falling apart. That's just more of the fly-over fake news of bumpkins.

Taxes, cost of living... absolutely real issues.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

We're due for a positive regression to the mean, right? 

this is the blind spot 

many Jets fans think they are going to win this year because "they are due" or because "why not us" or other non-evidence based hopium addictions 

"no where to go but up!" is another great one 

I guess we'll see. 6 wins would be an outstanding effort. 8 Wins Saleh should be coach of the year. The team looks like a 4-5 win team (again) because this year's schedule is way harder than last year's 

also the Jets FA crop is full of 'decent' guys but no gamechangers no one who's going to move the needle on these games. The WR room actually got worse somehow. 

• Upvote 1

Narratives and inside scoops, gotta love this time of year.  The thesis of the article seems overblown given how well we did in FA but logically makes SOME sense.  I mean we haven't been relevant in over a decade and the cost of living / stress level in this market is high.

Other teams in bad markets are able to get free agents and Hill has a home in one of the best destinations out there .. Miami.  So again, this is likely a quick and dirty but not very thoughtful analysis by the writer and his 1 source.

It's also funny to think that NFL players only want to go to winning teams.  Priority #1 for them is MONEY and we need to pay up (up to 15% compared to average cities) to offset cost of living including taxes.

If I'm a player (with consideration to his wife/kids), I would also strongly consider the following:

1. Do they love playing for and believe in the coach?  By pretty much all accounts, Saleh gets great marks here...  Sorry Shaq Lawson.  

2. Will the GM treat them fairly and reward them if they perform?  Starting to show some progress with JFM & more recently Berrios.  I'm not sure there are any credible examples to the contrary .. 

3. For specific positions like WR, do they believe in the QB?  Jury is still out on Wilson so it's very fair for there to be legitimate concerns at this juncture.  Outside of a trade, that's why we'll need to draft one.

4. School systems?  Tops in the country

5. Quality of Living:  US News #19.  Far from the bottom

6. Hot women & great food?  Yes & yes and lots of them .. And if you like city life, beach life, country life, we pretty much have all of it.  Although we probably aren't attracting the bear hunters ..

7. Team history?  To be frank, not many give a sh*te

• Upvote 1

FWIW, I'm very happy with our FA period.  Maybe that's a minority opinion, but I like the guys we added and the strategy.  Our success will be contingent on Zach Wilson's success, but that was with or without Tyreek Hill.  I'm also not of the mindset that a QB can't win with the WRs we currently have, and suspect we'll be adding a top one in the top 10.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is the blind spot 

many Jets fans think they are going to win this year because "they are due" or because "why not us" or other non-evidence based hopium addictions 

"no where to go but up!" is another great one 

I guess we'll see. 6 wins would be an outstanding effort. 8 Wins Saleh should be coach of the year. The team looks like a 4-5 win team (again) because this year's schedule is way harder than last year's 

also the Jets FA crop is full of 'decent' guys but no gamechangers no one who's going to move the needle on these games. The WR room actually got worse somehow. 

It's not a blind spot. I explained earlier that other teams have question marks too. Of course the Jets need a game changer. We just happen to have two top 10 picks to find them, and JD needs to hit on those. Repeat for effect: NEEDS. TO. HIT. But if he does? Saying 8 wins is some how unattainable is just as silly as saying we're in the upper echelon of the AFC.

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

2. Will the GM treat them fairly and reward them if they perform?  Starting to show some progress with JFM & more recently Berrios.  I'm not sure there are any credible examples to the contrary .. 

the Jets did not reward Braxton Berrios. They let him test the free market and then gave him essentially a 1 year deal to return

JFM got an extension from JD and so did Ryan Griffin. Those are the only two so far. Fant is due one, McGovern too, neither get a phone call from JD

they rarely find the bag for homegrown players, and when they do, it's a light bag. 

Just now, RVAJet815 said:

We just happen to have two top 10 picks to find them, and JD needs to hit. Repeat for effect: NEEDS. TO. HIT. 

yeah but no pressure, right?

JD needs to have one of those mid-70s steelers draft to move the needle. He needs to have like an all time great draft, or this team is not really much better than last year's version. 

we'll see. It's alot of pressure on what is essentially a bunch of dice rolls  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Narratives and inside scoops, gotta love this time of year.  The thesis of the article seems overblown given how well we did in FA but logically makes SOME sense.  I mean we haven't been relevant in over a decade and the cost of living / stress level in this market is high.

Other teams in bad markets are able to get free agents and Hill has a home in one of the best destinations out there .. Miami.  So again, this is likely a quick and dirty but not very thoughtful analysis by the writer and his 1 source.

It's also funny to think that NFL players only want to go to winning teams.  Priority #1 for them is MONEY and we need to pay up moderately to offset cost of living including taxes.

If I'm a player (with consideration to his wife/kids), I would also strongly consider the following:

1. Do they love playing for and believe in the coach?  By pretty much all accounts, Saleh gets great marks here...  Sorry Shaq Lawson.  

3. School systems (wife & kid's perspective)?  Some of the best in the country

4. Quality of Living:  US News #19.  Far from the bottom

5. Hot women & good food?  Yes & yes and lots of them ..

6. Team history?  To be frank, not many give a sh*te

Ehh...I think it's more like:

1. How much guaranteed money are you giving me? 

2. How much taxes do I have to pay on this new money?

3. Is your team decent enough where I can earn my bonuses and get future contracts?

4. Is it cold? 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

How did NE get better? I must’ve missed it. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

JD needs to have one of those mid-70s steelers draft to move the needle. He needs to have like an all time great draft, or this team is not really much better than last year's version. 

That's why he's paid the big bucks, as they say. I'm sure JD is well aware of the pressure that's on him ?

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think that's an overstatement.

Our roster last year was horrible, no doubt.

We have upgraded TE1, TE2, RG (massively), and CB1.  We can call Safety a wash although I think it's at least a small upgrade.

No position has really gotten worse from Free Agents leaving except maybe the loss of Crowder.  I'm counting Becton replacing Moses as a wash for now.  Upside is higher but so is the risk of missed games so we'll see.

We should also get Lawson back.  So that's 5 positions that are significantly better than last year, and by default, CB2 is better with Hall moving down the chart so that's actually 6.

Now I'd argue that if you hit on 2 of your top-4 picks, you have 'moved the needle'.  Will it translate to a playoff season?  Can't say that.  Can't even whisper it.  But are we a better team as a result of this offseason?  With two more starters on top of the Free Agent moves?  Yes.

So that's my take.  I'd be satisfied with two starters out of this draft.  Thrilled with 3 and ecstatic with 4.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Ehh...I think it's more like:

1. How much guaranteed money are you giving me? 

2. How much taxes do I have to pay on this new money?

3. Is your team decent enough where I can earn my bonuses and get future contracts?

4. Is it cold? 

I already led in with #1-3, hence why I wrote additional considerations.  We need to pay up given our market, no doubt about it.  Team incentives are almost non existent but agree if you are a WR you need the QB to get you the ball.  No pushback here.

Depending on where people are in their lives, consideration for wife and kids is huge.  I mean what planet do you live on ignoring this completely?  Are you married?  LOL  

1 hour ago, RVAJet815 said:

When in doubt, stir something up by talking ? at the jets. It never fails to generate clicks! 

So why do Jets Fans let themselves be so easily and predictably roiled up?

If it's such an obvious ploy, I'd think smart folks would just ignore it, not get all bent out of shape about it.

Ignore it = no clicks = no more articles, right?

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Buffalo, fine. Whole other level. Granted. New England is NOT better. Miami's much Better? Ehhhhh. I dunno. I mean they bolstered their D and added Hill to their offense, which is great. I'm still gonna point to Tua til he proves me wrong. Him AND that OL, even with Terron added to it? I don't see it. And if Tua's not it...Meh. I can easily make a case that a London or Wilson and a Zach step up is just as big. Point is, I don't think we can just throw our hands up and point to 2024. We're due for a positive regression to the mean, right? 

I agree considering they have a first time HC with a new staff and systems. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we swept the fins this season. Also NE is no longer the juggernaut , could see a potential split of those games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.  
Twi things. 
1) Hill had a contract already done with the Jets. He was coming here. But a Miami came in at the last minute. And he chose Miami over the Jets.  But he was absolutely ready to play here

2) Who were all these big ticket free agents that sighed elsewhere?

Jets probably signed the best G in FA and a top corner.  And didn’t overpay.  

Now, I’m sure there’s some truth to it - but it’s not nearly as bad as this is making it out to be 

This

But unfortunately the sad reality is most of these meat head football fans only read / see headlines and that’s what they remember. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, slats said:

How did NE get better? I must’ve missed it. 

They lost J.C. Jackson but gained Devonte Parker  -  worse at CB, better at WR - at worst they are a wash from last year 

and by the way that step up everyone is expecting Zach to take, Mac can take too  

Losing 1CB isn't a huge vulnerability considering this team beats the Jets by 30-40 each time they play 

• Upvote 1