Athletic Report: A ‘ton‘ of free agents have said no to NYJ

1 hour ago, Larz said:

JD ruined Wilson with the idiotic plan last year of putting him with a rookie play caller and no veteran back up. 

the vibe around the league must be the jets are where your career dies. 

The kids from California, Texas and Florida don’t want to be here and the bills own the division 

JD was asleep at the wheel with Cooper. 

this should really end the WR rumor threads ☹️

160E24CA-B88D-42E9-8E9E-688D34C2C5A3.jpeg.31c6cab91c58a1a42e0dd9fa9aee0373.jpeg

No he didn't. I know you're enamored of the approach KC took with Mahomes , but that situation was so different to the Jets last season. KC had a quality/established Vet(Alex Smith) who was willing to be a mentor to the kid. Plus they had an established HC/staff  with Reid and a roster full of offensive weapons. They were able to take a conservative approach with Mahomes.

Because the Jets were in essence starting over , new HC/staff/systems new personnel it made absolute sense for Wilson to start from day 1 to learn along with the team. He will be much better for it this season when the Jets have stability/continuity for what seems like the first time in years. Plus add in few more pieces(FA/draft) and this offense may the best we've had in quite awhile. 

• Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think that's an overstatement.

Our roster last year was horrible, no doubt.

We have upgraded TE1, TE2, RG (massively), and CB1.  We can call Safety a wash although I think it's at least a small upgrade.

No position has really gotten worse from Free Agents leaving except maybe the loss of Crowder 

TE1 and TE2 are an upgrade from Terrible to OK. They didn't sign a game changer at TE. They signed two half decent guys with no upside. Decent is better than Terrible but it's not like Zach has a new security blanket with either 

they upgraded RG but also are expecting their best offensive player to move to RG, which could go great it could also backfire. And losing Moses a reliable starter hurts.

CB1 is not really a huge upgrade. It's like TE they signed someone decent, which is better than terrible. 

the WR room is exactly the same minus Crowder and Cole. The WR are worse, objectively

Say what you will about Marcus Maye I don't see how Joyner and Whitehead are better than Maye. 

DE Lawson, we don't know what kind of situation he's in with his Achillies' tendon recovery. They signed the DE from Houston he's kind of interesting as is Solomon Thomas on a "prove it" deal 

Dan Feeney sucks. Joe Flacco sucks. These signings didn't improve the roster

It all really comes down to this draft. The team is really low on star power. These guys we're talking about like Conklin and Osumah (even Laken) are glue guys, will help you win, hopefully not lose the game for you. They aren't stars or dynamic players that other teams are worried about 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They lost J.C. Jackson but gained Devonte Parker  -  worse at CB, better at WR - at worst they are a wash from last year 

and by the way that step up everyone is expecting Zach to take, Mac can take too  

Losing 1CB isn't a huge vulnerability considering this team beats the Jets by 30-40 each time they play 

Mac is what he is , he's a good system QB with so-so physical skills. I really don't see him elevating his game beyond what we saw last season. Zach on the other hand still has untapped potential , he can easily ascend and become a star just as easily as he can regress or not develop. 

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets did not reward Braxton Berrios. They let him test the free market and then gave him essentially a 1 year deal to return

JFM got an extension from JD and so did Ryan Griffin. Those are the only two so far. Fant is due one, McGovern too, neither get a phone call from JD

they rarely find the bag for homegrown players, and when they do, it's a light bag. 

So you wanted to give Jamal Adams the bag?

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think that's an overstatement.

Our roster last year was horrible, no doubt.

We have upgraded TE1, TE2, RG (massively), and CB1.  We can call Safety a wash although I think it's at least a small upgrade.

No position has really gotten worse from Free Agents leaving except maybe the loss of Crowder.  I'm counting Becton replacing Moses as a wash for now.  Upside is higher but so is the risk of missed games so we'll see.

We should also get Lawson back.  So that's 5 positions that are significantly better than last year, and by default, CB2 is better with Hall moving down the chart so that's actually 6.

Now I'd argue that if you hit on 2 of your top-4 picks, you have 'moved the needle'.  Will it translate to a playoff season?  Can't say that.  Can't even whisper it.  But are we a better team as a result of this offseason?  With two more starters on top of the Free Agent moves?  Yes.

So that's my take.  I'd be satisfied with two starters out of this draft.  Thrilled with 3 and ecstatic with 4.  

depends on who you hit on

if you hit on WR and Edge then that would move the needle a lot. drafting a OL or CB with 2 of those picks does nothing. its a lateral move that adds another year to our rebuild at least.

scoring TDs and getting to the QB are the most important thing a team can do. you would think that's obvious but not to some people here who want to push that to rd 2 in favor of a OL and or CB.

OL does not move the needle. you can get insurance for Becton in the mid rds or if you completely want to move on Eric Fisher is still available for 8 mil. he just wants to start. 

CB as you stated above we just moved Hall to CB2. get Garnder and Hall is off the team. or on the bench. MC2 played the slot last year and played well. makes no sense to switch Hall there. so drafting a CB is another lateral move, it doesn't move the needle.

JD has to reach for these players. Mahomes and Watson were both predicted to go in the late 1st rd. the were both huge reaches. but Mac took the safe pick in Adams. and Adams played well for us but did he move the needle? 

Fortune favors the bold, not the guy who plays it safe.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I know you're enamored of the approach KC took with Mahomes , but that situation was so different to the Jets last season. KC had a quality/established Vet(Alex Smith) who was willing to be a mentor to the kid.

FWIW, Hughes has said that the Jets tried pretty hard to acquire a veteran backup last offseason, but none of them wanted to come here and babysit Zach Wilson. They tried for Foles and a few other guys (according to Hughes) and none of them wanted any part of it. They only got Flacco when it became clear that Jalen Hurts wasn’t going to lose the job in Philly and Minshew was a lock at #2

Seems like Douglas is well aware of this and despite trying to generate interest among star players in FA he knows where this team is right now. Most of his signings have been depth signings which reflects what this team is. This is a team where #2 and #3 players can compete to become starters and advance their careers. If that's the majority of the FA market available to the team then it makes sense to buy what you need and try to draft what you can't. It's a slow, methodical way to build but it's better IMO than paying premiums for #2 players and crowning them #1. 

The team can't live in this space forever but I can appreciate making the most of the situation in FA. Still need to see real improvement this year. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

JD ruined Wilson with the idiotic plan last year of putting him with a rookie play caller and no veteran back up. 

the vibe around the league must be the jets are where your career dies. 

The kids from California, Texas and Florida don’t want to be here and the bills own the division 

JD was asleep at the wheel with Cooper. 

this should really end the WR rumor threads ☹️

Get outta here with that nonsense. If Wilson fails it's because he's just not very good. Not because he didn't have an over the hill veteran watching over him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

yep you are what your record says you are-at some point Joe's teams need to win games-tearing down a 7 win team to a 2 win team takes no talent -literally anybody can do that-what takes talent and what not many people can do is build that torn down team into a winning team.

If you cant add quality free agents you best hit most of your draft picks-a rebuild cant happen when your guys like becton and mims suck and cant get on the field. 

That team was not a team that was built for the long haul of consistent winning

Jets were a 7 win team beating a bunch of tomato cans masquerading as NFL squads. Also let’s not forget they lost to not one but two winless teams that year. 

As said by just about every one on this board Zach has to step it up and quickly, JD needs to hit on this draft and his hand picked defensive coach has to get this defense to play a hell of a lot better ( LaFluer to me seems to be a promising OC). I for one want to see this rebuild through as I feel JD is trying to build for continued success which culminates in a SUPER BOWL VICTORY and not  a team that gets into the playoffs once in a while which gets bounced in the first leg of a watered down playoff tournament 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

So you wanted to give Jamal Adams the bag?

you keep turning this around to me 

"what would you do, Bitonti?" "who would you draft, Bitonti"

I'm not saying I should be in charge and all my ideas are perfect - It's not about me wanting to be in charge.

A monkey throwing his leavings against a draft magazine could do better than the 2020 draft. Proving that "I wanted Adams" or whatever doesn't have any relevance

since you asked I wanted Mahomes the day before the draft and I can necro the thread to prove it. So what though? I don't get a draft pick. I don't get to sign free agents or re-sign current players. It's not really about me. 

These guys come and go, the fans stay the same.  

Would I pay Jamal Adams a bunch of years ago?  Maybe yes maybe no, the truth is it doesn't matter

this team, as composed, isn't good enough to win more than like 5 or 6 games on this schedule. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

i appreciate the effort but you're playing fast and loose with those 2 division wins.

The Pats games aren't close/tough. They blow out the Jets to the tune of 30 point margins. They've won like the last 12 contests, handily.

Miami (10-2 vs the Jets recently) yeah Tua might implode but most fans miss they also signed Teddy Bridgewater. we might not be "scared" of these players but Teddy especially can find Tyreek Hill and Waddle. Teddy Bridgewater i hate to say it is more reliable than Tua and Zach too. He has no upside but this year 2022 he's a veteran QB doesn't need to "get better" to run an effective offense. 

Miami is the type of team that can play NE tough and possibly upset Buffalo. The Jets it will require a miracle draft, staying healthy and Zach becoming awesome before they can compete in the division. 

Well, yeah, fast and loose because you really never know how things will go. Especially with division games. Last year the Jets lost both Miami games but they lost both games by 1 TD. Maybe they scored some garbage time points, I don't remember, but they were not blown out. And last year was a horrific year for the Jets. 

Lets look at 2020. This is when the Jets won a WHOPPING 2 games. But they lost to the Pats by 3 points, and the Bills by 8 and 10 points. Again, they lost and maybe there was some garbage time but these were NOT blowout. Because, for the most part, division games are hard-fought, tough games. 

In 2019 The Jets split with the Bills and they split with Miami. 

Inn 2018 the Jets won a measly 4 games. One of them was against the Bills. They had a couple of other division games that were close. 

Bottom line, while the Jets need to get better to compete, they very well COULD- especially against the Dolphins and Pats. The Bills will be very tough. 

Assuming they stay relatively healthy (Davis and Lawson come back), Zach continues to improve, and they add a pass rusher and WR in the draft (which they will), they will at least be set up nicely to take on Tua, Jones and those two teams.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

TE1 and TE2 are an upgrade from Terrible to OK. They didn't sign a game changer at TE. They signed two half decent guys with no upside. Decent is better than Terrible but it's not like Zach has a new security blanket with either 

they upgraded RG but also are expecting their best offensive player to move to RG, which could go great it could also backfire. And losing Moses a reliable starter hurts.

CB1 is not really a huge upgrade. It's like TE they signed someone decent, which is better than terrible. 

the WR room is exactly the same minus Crowder and Cole. The WR are worse, objectively

Say what you will about Marcus Maye I don't see how Joyner and Whitehead are better than Maye. 

DE Lawson, we don't know what kind of situation he's in with his Achillies' tendon recovery. They signed the DE from Houston he's kind of interesting as is Solomon Thomas on a "prove it" deal 

Dan Feeney sucks. Joe Flacco sucks. These signings didn't improve the roster

It all really comes down to this draft. The team is really low on star power. These guys we're talking about like Conklin and Osumah (even Laken) are glue guys, will help you win, hopefully not lose the game for you. They aren't stars or dynamic players that other teams are worried about 

Not really disagreeing with this.

The first step in going form terrible to average is replacing your terrible players with better players.

We have upgraded OL, CB, TE and Edge.  I forgot to mention Foley leaving but I think Solomon Thomas offsets that at least somewhat.  We can debate Safety but health tips it enough towards Whitehead IMO that I'm comfortable with the 'wash' designation.  
I agree that WR is currently downgraded but I am confident we'll use the draft to level that off or even tip it to the positive.  

No argument on Feeney, Flacco and a few other re-signings.  They are placeholders.

All I'm saying is that hitting on two of our top-4 picks (which is a reasonable expectation) would give me hope that the team will perform better on the field.  I wish I could realistically hope for playoffs but I think that's probably a stretch this season.  Given our schedule, I think 7 wins is okay and 8 is a good goal.  The only way we get past that is if Wilson has a substantial turnaround and Lawson comes back looking like he did last preseason.  Gotta have those stretch goals...

• Upvote 3

Just now, CSNY said:

That team was not a team that was built for the long haul of consistent winning

Jets were a 7 win team beating a bunch of tomato cans masquerading as NFL squads. Also let’s not forget they lost to not one but two winless teams that year. 

this is another toxic idea 

That Mediocre is worse than Terrible

That they need to strip this beast down the steel and start from 0 wins that's the only way to rebuild

Bull. there is no such thing as a multi-year rebuild when 20% of the roster churns every year and player's average career length is less than 3 years. 

mediocre is in fact better than terrible. Every win is a good win. Every loss is a bad loss. 

for what it's worth I think this roster could win 7-8 games, vs last year's schedule. teams like Carolina with no QB for example might be more winnable than last year

this year's schedule hurts. 

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I forgot to mention Foley leaving but I think Solomon Thomas offsets that at least somewhat. 

All I'm saying is that hitting on two of our top-4 picks (which is a reasonable expectation) would give me hope that the team will perform better on the field.  I wish I could realistically hope for playoffs but I think that's probably a stretch this season.  Given our schedule, I think 7 wins is okay and 8 is a good goal.  The only way we get past that is if Wilson has a substantial turnaround and Lawson comes back looking like he did last preseason.  Gotta have those stretch goals...

Foley was a run stopper, THomas is a pure pass rusher. The Jets signed place holder Nathan Shepherd to fill in for Foley. Yuck. 

They need to hit on all the top four picks to be relevant this year. Not one or two. They need four awesome starters and hopefully two of those are legit stars. JD really needs to hit this draft out of the park. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Foley was a run stopper, THomas is a pure pass rusher. The Jets signed place holder Nathan Shepherd to fill in for Foley. Yuck. 

They need to hit on all the top four picks to be relevant this year. Not one or two. They need four awesome starters and hopefully two of those are legit stars. JD really needs to hit this draft out of the park. 

This is where we absolutely disagree.   You have set the bar nearly impossibly high, giving you an almost 95% chance of being able to bash Douglas by your measure, even if he hits on 3 of his first 4 picks.  That's your right but you're gonna be in the minority if JD gets a quality Edge, WR and CB and misses on, say, a DT.  

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm thinking we will target a DT in the 3rd or 4th round.  Not to be a star, but to replace Foley.  There seem to be names in that range that have a good chance to do that.  My current draft-crush at the top of round 3 is Logan Hall.  Not really a run-stuffer, but he's an interesting cat.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Bitonti

So what you’re saying is that you would build a team that goes 9-8 gets into the watered down playoff tournament gets bounced in the first game by a non competitive score then the next few years goes 6-11, 7-10, 8-9 and being no closer to a championship than they are now. Me personally would like a team built for sustainable success not mediocrity hamster GIF

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you keep turning this around to me 

"what would you do, Bitonti?" "who would you draft, Bitonti"

I'm not saying I should be in charge and all my ideas are perfect - It's not about me wanting to be in charge.

A monkey throwing his leavings against a draft magazine could do better than the 2020 draft. Proving that "I wanted Adams" or whatever doesn't have any relevance

since you asked I wanted Mahomes the day before the draft and I can necro the thread to prove it. So what though? I don't get a draft pick. I don't get to sign free agents or re-sign current players. It's not really about me. 

These guys come and go, the fans stay the same.  

Would I pay Jamal Adams a bunch of years ago?  Maybe yes maybe no, the truth is it doesn't matter

this team, as composed, isn't good enough to win more than like 5 or 6 games on this schedule. 

You're deflecting. It's simple. Who would you give the bag that deserved it? The draft sucked in 2020 but none of those players are up for contract. Who was up for contract that Joe Douglas should've given a bunch of money to? If there's no one that good, then you're just complaining (about that specific topic) for no reason.

I don't know, maybe all this negativity could be used as bulletin board material.  Then again, we've had plenty of bulletin board material through the years and what has it got us?  The only way to get around this is the hope that JD is on the right track, nail this draft, Zack, hopefully will turn into the the franchise QB we hope he will be, become a competitive team every game and win.  It may seem a lot to overcome, but other teams have done it...why not us?  

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That they need to strip this beast down the steel and start from 0 wins that's the only way to rebuild

Bull. there is no such thing as a multi-year rebuild when 20% of the roster churns every year and player's average career length is less than 3 years. 

mediocre is in fact better than terrible. Every win is a good win. Every loss is a bad loss. 

for what it's worth I think this roster could win 7-8 games, vs last year's schedule. teams like Carolina with no QB for example might be more winnable than last year

this year's schedule hurts. 

Strawman 

25 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Bitonti

So what you’re saying is that you would build a team that goes 9-8 gets into the watered down playoff tournament gets bounced in the first game by a non competitive score then the next few years goes 6-11, 7-10, 8-9 and being no closer to a championship than they are now. Me personally would like a team built for sustainable success not mediocrity hamster GIF

Yes I'd rather root for a 9 win team than an 8 win team all the way down the line. I'd rather they win 5 than 4

If picking high in the draft was such a sure thing, I would agree more about tanking

But this is not the nba and there's no LeBron to save the franchise. Every win is valuable experience in winning. Every loss reinforces bad habits of losing 

I can't understand the calculus where losing is better than winning 

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

You're deflecting. It's simple. Who would you give the bag that deserved it? The draft sucked in 2020 but none of those players are up for contract. Who was up for contract that Joe Douglas should've given a bunch of money to? If there's no one that good, then you're just complaining (about that specific topic) for no reason.

I said this the other day QW should be signed before he makes a pro bowl. Let's not pretend like every Jets player that is coming to contract sucks 

They have all this cap space long term but none of the players have security 

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is where we absolutely disagree.   You have set the bar nearly impossibly high, giving you an almost 95% chance of being able to bash Douglas by your measure, even if he hits on 3 of his first 4 picks.  That's your right but you're gonna be in the minority if JD gets a quality Edge, WR and CB and misses on, say, a DT.  

I'm not going to bash a 75 percent hit rate. What I'm saying is, if they are going to have this 8 win season everyone is hoping for, the draft has to be outstanding 

I'm not expecting 8 wins. It's an unrealistic expectation. If it happens it's because half the division got hurt and JD hit all the picks 

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I didn't name names but you apparently wanted to step up into it.  Your choice.

So talking about wins.  Perhaps the biggest story of last season wasn't the play of Quinnen, or even Zach, but the injury pileup that never seemed to stop.  Now I'm not saying that's bad luck.  There may be more to it (field, conditioning program, trainers....I don't know).  But imagine last season with a healthy Lawson and Becton and maybe a few less injuries at WR.  Could that have translated into 6 wins?  Maybe.  We got blown out more than a few times but there were 5 games we lost by a TD or less that could have gone the other way.  

The only stat I could easily find was that through Week 16, the Jets had the 4th most man-games lost in 2021.  The Giants were the highest.  That suggests something isn't right in the state of New Jersey.  That needs to change.

I am definitely concerned about those blowouts.  That can't keep happening.  One, two, maybe 3 in a season.  Not 8.  If that doesn't change this year, I would be extremely down on Saleh and Douglas.  

And yes.  I did use the term 'so-called fans' because criticism is certainly part of being a fan, but cycling through players/coaches to find the next guy who is responsible for all the teams ills, and who firing/trading/releasing will then be a step in the right direction, has become a favorite past-time for a few people here and it's exhausting.  Trading Becton for a day 3 pick isn't going to help this team but there are posters here who are all but demanding it.  Quinnen isn't Aaron Donald.  Boo hoo.  Getting rid of him isn't helping the team.  Firing Joe Douglas?  About as dumb a suggestion as there is.

Counterpoint:  The 'get rid of Darnold' position turned out to be right.  I wasn't convinced at the time but I absolutely acknowledge it now.  Whether Zach Wilson pans out or not doesn't change that.  Trading Jamal was another controversial position that I think almost everyone agrees with now.  But it does feel like the moment we move on from one of those type of players, some folks here are immediately scrambling to be the first to name the next target, like there's a prize for it.  And it's often the same people.  That's where I question the actual motivations.

A really good post. I can admit to being impatient and skeptical pretty quickly about the management of this team over the past decade - and I think rightfully so.

But I agree on a lot of this:

• injuries last year were a massive problem - and it's been like this for at least two years. We got lucky in how well Fant and Moses played in Becton's absence, but losing Lawson was devastating. The receiver room was injured the entire year, and we never had our full compliment. 
  • Quinnen, while not excellent, is definitely very good
  • Becton, while I'm skeptical about his return, is not worth completely giving up on before this season. Tackle is the second most important position on the field in my estimation, and I'm fine at this point using one of our top 10 picks on another tackle to ensure ourselves viable options going forward at that position. I don't ever want to be in a position where I'm trotting out Connor McDermitt type players. Between Fant, Becton and let's say one of Neal, Cross or Ekwonu, I'd be fine going into the season with those three options at tackle and seeing how things play out. There is definitely a situation here, which a lot of us have been ignoring, wherein Fant does not repeat his 2021 form and Becton does, in which case we're f***ed. 
  • And as frustrated and impatient as I am, I agree that chopping and changing management/coaching/philosophies constantly is just a recipe for continued failure. I've routinely joked about the five-year-rebuild, but the truth is, that's more likely accurate than not. 

The best case scenario I see is getting a tackle and edge in the first, and then getting a receiver in the second (either a vet via trade, a trade-up for an immediate impact rookie, an Elijah Moore-like fall from a consensus first rounder or a Pickens/Dotson/Watson selection top of round two).

We're not going to attract talent without overpaying until a viable foundation is set.

And we've somehow got to be more lucky than unlucky with injuries this year - whether that's a training staff thing or those rumors that Saleh was maybe pushing the team too hard were true, I don't know.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets did not reward Braxton Berrios. They let him test the free market and then gave him essentially a 1 year deal to return

JFM got an extension from JD and so did Ryan Griffin. Those are the only two so far. Fant is due one, McGovern too, neither get a phone call from JD

they rarely find the bag for homegrown players, and when they do, it's a light bag. 

I’m only talking about JD, not the past.  Under his watch we haven’t had too many who have deserved extensions ;).

Berrios was rewarded.  There was just a disagreement over market value that got settled a couple days into FA.

Fant cannot be extended until we find out who wins the upcoming LT competition.  The market for LT and RT is considerably different.

You are spot on regarding McGovern.  It’s possible he is softer than what the Jets want going forward.  I don’t disagree, we need some nasty ass players in the trenches.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

because he's not shown any hold out or Revis/Adams tendencies

especially if they keep his big brother around 

what makes you think he would? 

The reason you want to sign him is because he might blow up, so you want to lock him up while he's cheaper. Guys renegotiate their contracts all the time, and if he's underpaid, I don't see why he wouldn't want more money for making a pro bowl.

You don't need Revis or Adams tendencies to push for a new contract. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Hughes has said that the Jets tried pretty hard to acquire a veteran backup last offseason, but none of them wanted to come here and babysit Zach Wilson. They tried for Foles and a few other guys (according to Hughes) and none of them wanted any part of it. They only got Flacco when it became clear that Jalen Hurts wasn’t going to lose the job in Philly and Minshew was a lock at #2

But even with that , it was for the backup role, not to have someone come in and play QB , wasting a season of growth and experience for Zach.