Athletic Report: A ‘ton‘ of free agents have said no to NYJ

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

They lost J.C. Jackson but gained Devonte Parker  -  worse at CB, better at WR - at worst they are a wash from last year 

and by the way that step up everyone is expecting Zach to take, Mac can take too  

Losing 1CB isn't a huge vulnerability considering this team beats the Jets by 30-40 each time they play 

Yeah, but you said everyone but the Jets in the division improved. The Cheats did not improve. Buffalo and Miami made bigger splashes with Von Miller and Tyreek Hill, respectively, but when I look at all the signings and losses by team, I don’t feel like the Jets were significantly outpaced at all. Not if looked at objectively. They’re certainly not a wash from last year, they’ve improved at CB, S, TE, Edge, DL, & OL, and have more draft capital than any other team in the league coming up  

Over the Cap has a handy page on it: https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

I would say this complaint from you is pretty empty. 

• Upvote 1

Say what you will about Marcus Maye I don't see how Joyner and Whitehead are better than Maye. 

DE Lawson, we don't know what kind of situation he's in with his Achillies' tendon recovery.

These are funny back to back sentences, too. What about Maye’s Achilles? I do know that Lawson’s had about a half year longer to recover. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yes I'd rather root for a 9 win team than an 8 win team all the way down the line. I'd rather they win 5 than 4

If picking high in the draft was such a sure thing, I would agree more about tanking

But this is not the nba and there's no LeBron to save the franchise. Every win is valuable experience in winning. Every loss reinforces bad habits of losing 

I can't understand the calculus where losing is better than winning 

Didn’t mention tanking at all and of course winning is better than losing but the question is are you advocating for mediocrity in a team or do you want sustainable success. Me I opt for the latter when Jets are always be considered a playoff and Super Bowl contender not just a flash in the pan one year playoff wonder that the next season goes 6-11 and back to drafting in the top ten 

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Didn’t mention tanking at all and of course winning is better than losing but the question is are you advocating for mediocrity in a team or do you want sustainable success. Me I opt for the latter when Jets are always be considered a playoff and Super Bowl contender not just a flash in the pan one year playoff wonder that the next season goes 6-11 and back to drafting in the top ten 

The idea that the way to sustainable success is through bottoming out is a con. These teams that are contenders, they stay contenders for decades. Because of the program quality. The jets have been trying to lose their way to winning. It turns out that losing is a hard habit to break 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

These are funny back to back sentences, too. What about Maye’s Achilles? I do know that Lawson’s had about a half year longer to recover. 

There was an ig post with both of them rehabbing in the same swimming pool 

Guys like maye come back easier than guys like Lawson. It's like a body weight thing. Guys like Eric Fisher tear their Achilles and they are done 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Yeah, but you said everyone but the Jets in the division improved. The Cheats did not improve. Buffalo and Miami made bigger splashes with Von Miller and Tyreek Hill, respectively, but when I look at all the signings and losses by team, I don’t feel like the Jets were significantly outpaced at all. Not if looked at objectively. They’re certainly not a wash from last year, they’ve improved at CB, S, TE, Edge, DL, & OL, and have more draft capital than any other team in the league coming up  

Over the Cap has a handy page on it: https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

I would say this complaint from you is pretty empty. 

The cheats beat the Jets 6-25 and 13-54. They don't need to get better to still be way better than the Jets 

Everybody talks about laken by the way, the bills signed Rodger saffold, who has a better resume than laken by every measure 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The cheats beat the Jets 6-25 and 13-54. They don't need to get better to still be way better than the Jets 

Everybody talks about laken by the way, the bills signed Rodger saffold, who has a better resume than laken by every measure 

And the Jets beat both the Titans and Bengals last year so that means SB this year right. Basing anything off prior years games or results is a smart way to becoming a millionaire - not . 

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

False. He’s an awful pass blocker. And he’s 33. No thanks. 

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The idea that the way to sustainable success is through bottoming out is a con. These teams that are contenders, they stay contenders for decades. Because of the program quality. The jets have been trying to lose their way to winning. It turns out that losing is a hard habit to break 

The Rams bottomed out. 

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Like I said, this is you moving the goal posts. You originally said the rest of the division improved more than the Jets. Now it’s, “they don’t have to.” Whatever. People are replying to you because your arguments are negatively biased and weak. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

https://theathletic.com/3210826/2022/04/08/nfl-free-agency-news-intel/

Tyreek Hill showed up the Jets when laughing off their interest in him, and in some ways it was a reminder of how far the organization still must travel to become relevant.

“What I heard on the Jets is, they were in on a ton of guys and got nobody,” an exec said. “They don’t have a selling point to players right now. People don’t know what to think of Zach Wilson, players don’t necessarily covet playing in that market, and guys who have choices tend to wind up elsewhere. They are in this weird purgatory.”

The truth hurts, but there’s more to it than that. The Jets were able to sign a long list of players to more modest APYs: guard Laken Tomlinson($13.3 million), cornerback D.J. Reed ($11 million), tight end C.J. Uzomah ($8 million), safety Jordan Whitehead ($7.3 million), tight end Tyler Conklin ($6.8 million), pass rusher Jacob Martin ($4.5 million) and more.

“They drafted some decent starters to fill needs, and if they can draft an impact ‘blue’ with those top-10 picks, that is big,” an exec said. “I’m good with the process. The Jets of old would go and spend huge money in free agency and have it not work. Instead of running up the hill, they are hiking up the hill the correct way. They need their young quarterback and young receivers to get better, and then can they be sounder on defense? I don’t think they are ready to jump to the playoffs, but they are getting better.”

The Jets signed a Pro Bowl guard and a tight end from the Bengals.

This, nobody wanted to play here stuff, is comical. People play where the money is at. Douglas won't overpay. It is that simple.

Trumaine Johnson wanted to play here.

Le'Veon Bell wanted to play here.

Hell CJ Mosley wanted to play here.

Joe Douglas doesn't want players playing here on terrible contracts. That is the story here.

Tyreek Hill picked his home state and he was in the drivers seat with a no trade clause.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

Like I said, this is you moving the goal posts. You originally said the rest of the division improved more than the Jets. Now it’s, “they don’t have to.” Whatever. People are replying to you because your arguments are negatively biased and weak. 

I'm not moving the goalposts. They're going to win 5 games. They won't win any of the division games.

There's the goalposts. 

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Bit. That’s exactly what JD is trying to build a “quality program” where FA’s want to come and play for a perennial playoff / Super Bowl contender. The previous GM’s didn’t do this at all as they didn’t have the slightest idea of how to construct a team Instead they drafted based on best player / safest pick available overpaid for various players that didn’t fit or had the “ get the last big payday mentality “ and that’s why we are in the shape we’re in now. JD has a plan to construct a team that will hopefully be a “destination team” that players want to come to. 

the jets are a terrible team with a gm that totally blew his first draft, a coach that is unproven but he is a d "expert" and coached the jets to one of the worst defenses in the league and a rookie qb that many think is not going to be a great qb.
The only way you can get elite players or even very good players to come to the Jets right now is to grossly overpay something Joe has shown he is not willing to do. The only way the jets get out of the basement of the AFC  is for Joe to nail this draft in a BIG way. If Joe is smart(that is a big if) he needs to draft game changer playmakers-WR and an Edge rusher.  I believe drafting a defensive back with one of the first two picks is criminal at this point.  
Oooooh that Snell ... that snell of whats around youuuu.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not moving the goalposts. They're going to win 5 games. They won't win any of the division games.

There's the goalposts. 

A 3rd straight year of 0-6 in the division?  I think we're going to win at least 1 game (and maybe even 2).

7 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

https://theathletic.com/3210826/2022/04/08/nfl-free-agency-news-intel/

Tyreek Hill showed up the Jets when laughing off their interest in him, and in some ways it was a reminder of how far the organization still must travel to become relevant.

“What I heard on the Jets is, they were in on a ton of guys and got nobody,” an exec said. “They don’t have a selling point to players right now. People don’t know what to think of Zach Wilson, players don’t necessarily covet playing in that market, and guys who have choices tend to wind up elsewhere. They are in this weird purgatory.”

The truth hurts, but there’s more to it than that. The Jets were able to sign a long list of players to more modest APYs: guard Laken Tomlinson($13.3 million), cornerback D.J. Reed ($11 million), tight end C.J. Uzomah ($8 million), safety Jordan Whitehead ($7.3 million), tight end Tyler Conklin ($6.8 million), pass rusher Jacob Martin ($4.5 million) and more.

“They drafted some decent starters to fill needs, and if they can draft an impact ‘blue’ with those top-10 picks, that is big,” an exec said. “I’m good with the process. The Jets of old would go and spend huge money in free agency and have it not work. Instead of running up the hill, they are hiking up the hill the correct way. They need their young quarterback and young receivers to get better, and then can they be sounder on defense? I don’t think they are ready to jump to the playoffs, but they are getting better.”

Based on Hill who lives in FL. c'mon man this is just lazy narrative. Hill was going no where else but Joe did his due diligence and gave KC a package that we could afford and they would take. 

maybe its a reminder that the Athletic is not immune to lazy journalism and just wanted to take a cheap shot at the team. I have said this more than once but I do not think any other team has beat writers that actively root against the team. Only way it stops is when we start winning and even then they will take cheap shots. remember rex ryan years???

THen to go on and list the FA we did get and not to mention the FA we picked up last year...they couldnt even carry the water through out the post. Then go on to it is a big "if" if they can draft players , no sh*t. Its not a lock to draft studs? wow thanks for the newsflash.

Arn't we all tired of this trash coverage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

In other news, the ugliest girl at the party isn't really getting hit on by guys.  Two years later as Prom Queen her phone won't stop ringing.  Go figure!

Win some games, show some competence and FA's will start to notice.

^^ Sexism Rampant in the JN forums!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Bit. That’s exactly what JD is trying to build a “quality program” where FA’s want to come and play for a perennial playoff / Super Bowl contender. The previous GM’s didn’t do this at all as they didn’t have the slightest idea of how to construct a team Instead they drafted based on best player / safest pick available overpaid for various players that didn’t fit or had the “ get the last big payday mentality “ and that’s why we are in the shape we’re in now. JD has a plan to construct a team that will hopefully be a “destination team” that players want to come to. 

It's doesn’t take a decade to rebuild. 

JD has a plan that has yielded no results through his first 3 seasons. Yeah he has a plan but it has not worked so far 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

yeah. Every team in our division got better. In the case of Miami, much better. 

I dont think they win a single division game, which means they aren't getting to 8 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

They lost J.C. Jackson but gained Devonte Parker  -  worse at CB, better at WR - at worst they are a wash from last year 

and by the way that step up everyone is expecting Zach to take, Mac can take too  

Losing 1CB isn't a huge vulnerability considering this team beats the Jets by 30-40 each time they play 

Every team got better. No wait, maybe NE is a wash. 

Did the Jets get better? Did they do more to get better so far in the offseason than the Pats? I would say the answer to both of those is a resounding yes. But yeah, sure, no moving of the goalposts from you. Okay. 

Just now, slats said:

Every team got better. No wait, maybe NE is a wash. 

Did the Jets get better? Did they do more to get better so far in the offseason than the Pats? I would say the answer to both of  those is a resounding yes. But yeah, sure, no moving of the goalposts from you. Okay. 

These are hypotheticals on both sides. We don't really know what the effects of these fa are. We don't know how much these teams improved until they play

Before last year the Jets got better because of Carl Lawson and jarrad Davis. Did they actually get better? Not really as it turns out. They did lead the league with cap spend on the ir for the second year running 

I also find it laughable that rookie Zach wilson certainly will improve in year 2 but rookie Mac Jones is not going to get any better. 

This is fantasy season where we imagine all the best case scenarios. There's far more pathways to bad scenarios, we just don't want to consider that. 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I also find it laughable that rookie Zach wilson certainly will improve in year 2 but rookie Mac Jones is not going to get any better. 

The most laughable thing about this is that no one said it. 

• Haha 2

Yeah, the line is still gonna be Patriots -11.5 the first time they play. Laken Tomlinson and CJ Ozumah ain’t changing that.

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's doesn’t take a decade to rebuild. 

JD has a plan that has yielded no results through his first 3 seasons. Yeah he has a plan but it has not worked so far 

Bit. He hasn’t been here three years yet as he was hired in June of 2019 let alone a decade 

9 hours ago, ganggreen305 said:

Money talks, bullsh*t walks.  Let them walk.

Hill chose Miami. No taxes, sunshine and as good an opportunity to win as we have.  Jets management  the last 10 years tells FA's you could die on this hill.   If I were a player, I would take a bit less to play with a team a little better defined. North Jersey, for the majority of players not from NY/NJ is a terrible place to live. 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, the line is still gonna be Patriots -11.5 the first time they play. Laken Tomlinson and CJ Ozumah ain’t changing that.

I'll go out on a limb and say the Pats will be hard pressed to be double digit favorites in any game this season especially if they face the Lions later in the season.

Their schedule is not an easy one this year - 6 division games , Bengals, Ravens, Colts, Bears, Lions at Home, Cards , Browns, Packers, Raiders, Vikes , Steelers on road. 

Of those games only Lions, Bears  possibly Steelers stand out as gimmes.