Athletic Report: A ‘ton‘ of free agents have said no to NYJ

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'll go out on a limb and say the Pats will be hard pressed to be double digit favorites in any game this season especially if they face the Lions later in the season.

Their schedule is not an easy one this year - 6 division games , Bengals, Ravens, Colts, Bears, Lions at Home, Cards , Browns, Packers, Raiders, Vikes , Steelers on road. 

Of those games only Lions, Bears  possibly Steelers stand out as gimmes. 

The Jets were entirely non-competitive against the Pats last year, and in a Buttfumble kind of non-competitive way.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets were entirely non-competitive against the Pats last year, and in a Buttfumble kind of non-competitive way.

Wilson was noncompetitive in the first game. 

the defense played well enough to win. Ran out of gas after being on the field for awhile. 

The second game was worse than the buttfumble. Defense was an embarrassment. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm sure that has a lot more to do with it than anything else.

The Giants, Rams, and Bills have no trouble signing players. The tax rate comes into effect with the Jets because the Jets suck, so any left-for-dead free agent who even has to consider signing here isn’t going to lose *and* take the hit on taxes. They can go lose football games in plenty of other states.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Giants, Rams, and Bills have no trouble signing players. The tax rate comes into effect with the Jets because the Jets suck, so any left-for-dead free agent who even has to consider signing here isn’t going to lose *and* take the hit on taxes. They can go lose football games in plenty of other states.

The Giants? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

TE1 and TE2 are an upgrade from Terrible to OK. They didn't sign a game changer at TE. They signed two half decent guys with no upside. Decent is better than Terrible but it's not like Zach has a new security blanket with either 

they upgraded RG but also are expecting their best offensive player to move to RG, which could go great it could also backfire. And losing Moses a reliable starter hurts.

CB1 is not really a huge upgrade. It's like TE they signed someone decent, which is better than terrible. 

the WR room is exactly the same minus Crowder and Cole. The WR are worse, objectively

Say what you will about Marcus Maye I don't see how Joyner and Whitehead are better than Maye. 

DE Lawson, we don't know what kind of situation he's in with his Achillies' tendon recovery. They signed the DE from Houston he's kind of interesting as is Solomon Thomas on a "prove it" deal 

Dan Feeney sucks. Joe Flacco sucks. These signings didn't improve the roster

It all really comes down to this draft. The team is really low on star power. These guys we're talking about like Conklin and Osumah (even Laken) are glue guys, will help you win, hopefully not lose the game for you. They aren't stars or dynamic players that other teams are worried about 

If you don’t think Conklin has upside or Reed isn’t a huge upgrade over Echols then I don’t know what to tell you 

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

who did the Giants sign?

3 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

who did the Giants sign?

The last few seasons they signed Golladay, Adoree Jackson, James Bradberry, and extended Leonard Williams to mega money. They haven’t signed anyone this season because they are capped out by those same free agent deals.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GreenFish said:

It’s not a ton. But you asked if there were players other than Hill.

By all reports, we really wanted Marcus Williams but needed to get near $17 per year to land him.

Hill and Williams are two for sure that we missed out. Other possibles: BJ Hill and DJ Jones are two other guys we went after but missed out on. There was less reporting on those two. So it’s not clear why we missed out on them.

Guessing on one player over the one we know for sure, doesn’t quite equate to a ton though.  I have no idea if they really wanted Williams and that they didn't want  to pay 17M.  Thats the Jets turning the player down, not the opposite.  It’s far from a for sure missed situation.  Either way, that’s only 2 with Hill 

It's a nice story - an article that on the surface sounds good.  The problem is the reality doesn't prove out the thesis.

They've signed top tier FA's - and didn't over pay.  This year they got the top guard in FA and a very strong CB.

And the Hill thing really is simply wrong.  The guy was all ready to come here - had a contract completed - at the end he chose Miami but if you write an article like this it should be made clear that Hill was ready to come to the Jets before the last minute entry of Miami.

Sure they lost out on some, but so does every team.  It's not like it was ONLY the Jets in on the couple of guys they lost out on...

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And the Hill thing really is simply wrong.  The guy was all ready to come here - had a contract completed - at the end he chose Miami but if you write an article like this it should be made clear that Hill was ready to come to the Jets before the last minute entry of Miami.

That was Rosenhaus jerking the Jets off to get Miami to jump. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That was Rosenhaus jerking the Jets off to get Miami to jump. 

I don’t buy that for a second - I mean sure he used the Jets to get Miami to pay more - but that’s pretty standard that in any negotiation.
Bottom line, If Miami doesn’t step up Hill is a Jet. 

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t buy that for a second - I mean sure he used the Jets to get Miami to pay more - but that’s pretty standard that in any negotiation.
Bottom line, If Miami doesn’t step up Hill is a Jet. 

I mean, it was Hill himself who said he never even considered the Jets, and the bottom line was that he would have killed any trade that didn’t result in him going to Miami. I’m sure Rosenhaus was grateful to Douglas for helping set some parameters, but that’s all it was ever going to be unless Hill had a massive change of heart. 

BTW, if you want to hear some amusing intra-Jets stuff, listen to the Connor Hughes pod from the day the Hill trade went down. He started it off talking about how Chris and Woody Johnson would never, ever get involved in any deal for a player with Deshaun Watson’s many legal troubles because they have a zero-tolerance policy, and as he’s giving this speech, he’s pausing to read texts he’s getting from people telling him that the Jets are going hard after Tyreek Hill. It was actually great radio. His two useless sidekicks (who provide absolutely nothing) were actually getting annoyed with Hughes because he kept dropping out to read and return texts about the possible trade. Good stuff. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, it was Hill himself who said he never even considered the Jets, and the bottom line was that he would have killed any trade that didn’t result in him going to Miami. I’m sure Rosenhaus was grateful to Douglas for helping set some parameters, but that’s all it was ever going to be unless Hill had a massive change of heart. 

BTW, if you want to hear some amusing intra-Jets stuff, listen to the Connor Hughes pod from the day the Hill trade went down. He started it off talking about how Chris and Woody Johnson would never, ever get involved in any deal for a player with Deshaun Watson’s many legal troubles because they have a zero-tolerance policy, and as he’s giving this speech, he’s pausing to read texts he’s getting from people telling him that the Jets are going hard after Tyreek Hill. It was actually great radio. His two useless sidekicks (who provide absolutely nothing) were actually getting annoyed with Hughes because he kept dropping out to read and return texts about the possible trade. Good stuff. 

I'm simply going to disagree with you on the first paragraph.  I just don't buy it.  KC wanted to move him, there was a ridiculous amount of money on the table that I can't imagine Hill would walk away from.  Him saying, after he was a Dolphin, that he never considered joining a division rival isn't exactly surprising.  Frankly it's what you would expect him to say.

As for the second paragraph, I'll check out that podcast this week. sounds kinda funny.  I've been meaning to listen to Connor's podcast for a while - I'll start with that one.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

So now selling point on a player is the stadium they play in ?.  In addition the Jets training facility at Florham Park is top notch and maybe top 10 in the league, If I'm a player I value that more than the place where I spend 8-9 days a year.  

Clearly, I stand corrected and you have your finger delicately placed on the very pulse on the modern day, twenty-something  American athlete.

The earliest example of 'top notch' in print is in a letter to the Huron Reflector, May 1845:

"Now, Messrs. Editors, perhaps I have lived too long in the woods, to know exactly what makes good manners in the very top notch of society."

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The last few seasons they signed Golladay, Adoree Jackson, James Bradberry, and extended Leonard Williams to mega money. They haven’t signed anyone this season because they are capped out by those same free agent deals.

If the Jets had spent big $$ on Golladay, Jackson and Bradberry Jet fans would have stormed Florham park and held  JD hostage 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

And we recently signed Joe Flacco.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Clearly, I stand corrected and you have your finger delicately placed on the very pulse on the modern day, twenty-something  American athlete.

The earliest example of 'top notch' in print is in a letter to the Huron Reflector, May 1845:

"Now, Messrs. Editors, perhaps I have lived too long in the woods, to know exactly what makes good manners in the very top notch of society."

If I read this message backwards or use a cipher to decrypt it, can I expect to find out it there's a killer insult hidden within .

Otherwise huh . 

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lol, the Giants have to have other issues to sign free agents.

On 4/11/2022 at 9:05 AM, Zachtomims47 said:

https://theathletic.com/3210826/2022/04/08/nfl-free-agency-news-intel/

Tyreek Hill showed up the Jets when laughing off their interest in him, and in some ways it was a reminder of how far the organization still must travel to become relevant.

“What I heard on the Jets is, they were in on a ton of guys and got nobody,” an exec said. “They don’t have a selling point to players right now. People don’t know what to think of Zach Wilson, players don’t necessarily covet playing in that market, and guys who have choices tend to wind up elsewhere. They are in this weird purgatory.”

The truth hurts, but there’s more to it than that. The Jets were able to sign a long list of players to more modest APYs: guard Laken Tomlinson($13.3 million), cornerback D.J. Reed ($11 million), tight end C.J. Uzomah ($8 million), safety Jordan Whitehead ($7.3 million), tight end Tyler Conklin ($6.8 million), pass rusher Jacob Martin ($4.5 million) and more.

“They drafted some decent starters to fill needs, and if they can draft an impact ‘blue’ with those top-10 picks, that is big,” an exec said. “I’m good with the process. The Jets of old would go and spend huge money in free agency and have it not work. Instead of running up the hill, they are hiking up the hill the correct way. They need their young quarterback and young receivers to get better, and then can they be sounder on defense? I don’t think they are ready to jump to the playoffs, but they are getting better.”

ian-buchanan-that-surprises-you.gif