Jump to content

Simms edge rushers comprehensive


hmhertz
 Share

Recommended Posts

Who is the best candidate for the wide 9?

 

Typically, the "Wide-9" technique player is a pure pass rusher, and usually a speed rusher to be more specific. He aligns himself out wide, angled back toward the quarterback, and has limited run responsibility on the play. His whole job is to get to the quarterback. These are the defensive ends who excel at getting off the ball, blowing past the tackle, dipping their shoulder around the turn, and reaching the quarterback as he completes his drop.

 

 

I need something positive to hope for lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

How do you know for a fact?  

From the game tapes that I've watched so far. No way he is worth the pick at 4. I'd prefer Sauce if we had to choose between the two at pick 4. He loves pushing too far inside letting the outside wide open for run game/QB escaping, struggles containing the outside, can see the Tackles man handle him at the NFL level. I want a player that isn't too raw at 4

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

So.....Just to be clear.  You DON'T know for a fact, but in fact have an opinion. 

If he's there at 4, we're passing on him. Don't see the MEDIA hype on him and JD won't fall for it

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't watch, but can someone fill me in on which one of the edge rushers he grades higher than Trevor Lawrence? 🤓

Trevor Lawrence probably has more pass rushing moves than Travon Walker.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Is he "an entire level above every one else" like Zach Wilson was according to SImms?

Oh.  It’s been a few hours.   Time to proclaim out positions on Zach again?  Ok. 
 

Yeah Simms nailed that one!!!!   Best QB in the class - tune in this year and enjoy!
 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those who didn't watch:

1. Aidan Hutchinson

2. Travon Walker

3. Jermaine Johnson

4. George Karlaftis

5. Nik Bonitto

6. Joshua Pascal

7. Kayvon Thibodeaux

 

Simms believes Kayvon is an end of the first talent. Says he doesn't do anything as well as the top 5 guys. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jet25 said:

I do not see the hype in KT. I know for a fact that JD will pass on him even if he's there. Not worth it at 4. I see why Simms doesn't have him in his top 5

You don't see the hype behind a guy who had the top pass rushing grade past 3 years and has one of the top pressure rates over that span? That was the top recruit in the country? So you'd rather go with a guy that you just heard of a month ago that's a much bigger projection? 

Ok

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Come on gentleman…Nobody here knows what JD is gonna do

😁 😁😁   I think it's pretty clear that whatever happens...people are going to say they "knew" it would turn out that way!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jet25 said:

From the game tapes that I've watched so far. No way he is worth the pick at 4. I'd prefer Sauce if we had to choose between the two at pick 4. He loves pushing too far inside letting the outside wide open for run game/QB escaping, struggles containing the outside, can see the Tackles man handle him at the NFL level. I want a player that isn't too raw at 4

That's what an opinion is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

For those who didn't watch:

1. Aidan Hutchinson

2. Travon Walker

3. Jermaine Johnson

4. George Karlaftis

5. Nik Bonitto

6. Joshua Pascal

7. Kayvon Thibodeaux

 

Simms believes Kayvon is an end of the first talent. Says he doesn't do anything as well as the top 5 guys. 

Karlaftis will be a solid edge rusher. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, Larz said:

Who is the best candidate for the wide 9?

 

Typically, the "Wide-9" technique player is a pure pass rusher, and usually a speed rusher to be more specific. He aligns himself out wide, angled back toward the quarterback, and has limited run responsibility on the play. His whole job is to get to the quarterback. These are the defensive ends who excel at getting off the ball, blowing past the tackle, dipping their shoulder around the turn, and reaching the quarterback as he completes his drop.

 

 

I need something positive to hope for lol

 

9 hours ago, tdoublee said:

Nik Bonitto. #5 on his list.

Simms can't resist sliding in a "Mond" on every list lol

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
 

There is your answer @Larz and presumably why Simms rates him so highly.

Quote

PFF’s take:

“Bonitto wins not only with a high-end get-off but also with agility and body control to be a tackle’s worst nightmare in space. He’s a difficult dude to mirror.”

“Impressive array of moves at his disposal. Has the speed-rusher handbook.”

“Such a quick processor. Always playing off what the tackle does with his moves.”

FTR’s take: Aidan Hutchinson and Kayvon Thibodeaux get most of the attention, but Nik Bonitto is the silent assassin in this year’s draft. Eight of the 14 EDGE rushers we’re looking at today had a pass rush win rate over 20% in 2021, including Thibodeaux (23.1%) and Hutchinson (24.8%). Bonitto smoked ‘em both (and everyone else) with a pass rush win rate of twenty-eight point nine percent. Some question whether he will be an every-down player in the NFL but, on passing downs, there’s no one in this year’s class that puts pressure on the quarterback more consistently than Bonitto.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/3/1/22950387/seattle-seahawks-2022-nfl-draft-primer-edge-defenders-offseason-commentary-and-analysis

Of course, they also rank him as a 3rd rounder and his comp is Haason Reddick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You don't see the hype behind a guy who had the top pass rushing grade past 3 years and has one of the top pressure rates over that span? That was the top recruit in the country? So you'd rather go with a guy that you just heard of a month ago that's a much bigger projection? 

Ok

I just don't want guys who are big on Kayvon T to be mad when JD passes on him because he isn't that guy I thought he was hyped up to be when watching the tape. But we will see on draft day!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You don't see the hype behind a guy who had the top pass rushing grade past 3 years and has one of the top pressure rates over that span? That was the top recruit in the country? So you'd rather go with a guy that you just heard of a month ago that's a much bigger projection? 

Ok

These are jet fans bro, majority have zombie like minds easily manipulated by the media. Media tells them something is good, it will forever be good like Terrible Lawrence. 
 

Now the Simms says Kayvon is terrible this will become the gospel. 
 

Similar to everyone now liking Jameson Williams but a quick look at even his highlights would show people he’s a body catcher, not the best trait to have when you have a QB with a strong arm. 
 

Bush league level fans 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...