Building a team doesn’t take a decade

It is amazing how much devotion this guy has inspired with a poor record off the field and a worse one on it.

His 2020 offseason was an absolute debacle that set this team back. 

2021 was better but still more misses than hits to this point. 

If we start losing early in 2022 I think we're going to be reminded just how fickle this fanbase can be. Anything less than 5 wins and he's out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

It is amazing how much devotion this guy has inspired with a poor record off the field and a worse one on it.

If we start losing early in 2022 I think we're going to be reminded just how fickle this fanbase can be. Anything less than 5 wins and he's out. 

Anything less then 5 wins and they need to start over again. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

it won’t be number of wins that decides.   It will be an eyeball test.  Do the Jets in 2022 look better than 2021?  Does Zach Wilson look like an NFL QB?  If not, JD is gone 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

That bar is too low.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, varjet said:

it won’t be number of wins that decides.   It will be an eyeball test.  Do the Jets in 2022 look better than 2021?  Does Zach Wilson look like an NFL QB?  If not, JD is gone 

If they lose 11 or 12 games the eyeball test is gonna say they suck and it needs to be rebuilt

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

If they lose 11 or 12 games the eyeball test is gonna say they suck and it needs to be rebuilt

With a 17 game season 5-12 is definitely foreseeable.   The Jets are not winning more games with a 4 pick who does not play yet. So let’s see who they draft.  That will tell you where their head is at 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Be careful, you can make all the racist jokes you want but god forbid you criticize this mediocre GM ?

This is bull****. 

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Good morning  @Jet Nut  - sack 

New York Jets Football GIF by SNYCat Dog GIF

This might get you banned, though. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

This is bull****. 

This might get you banned, though. 

So all the references and invites to body parts around here but me calling him a nut sack is crossing the line? Okay cool

for the record, a quick google search for  nutsack image.jpeg.218afccb66875360af8cccf33f667495.jpeg

12 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

So all the references and invites to body parts around here but me calling him a nut sack is crossing the line? Okay cool

for the record, a quick google search for  nutsack image.jpeg.218afccb66875360af8cccf33f667495.jpeg

Body part references have recently gotten someone banned, but by all means pretend you weren’t making an early morning personal attack today. Only time will tell if that’s a good strategy. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Sad but true. As a Jets fan, I've seen my share of horrendous defenses, but last year's was as bad if not worse than any that I can remember. The offense was bad and had large voids. If we have a 6 wins or less, I would say that even this last rebuild has been an unmitigated disaster.

• Upvote 1

JD has had a forgettable 2020 draft and he certainly had some misses in FA but for the most part he has been a great,, even-keel, non-nonsense, smart GM. And his 2021 draft looks pretty legit. 

If Becton turns things around and stays healthy. Big IF but looking like he has a monster chip on his shoulder. And if Mims actually ends up making the team and contributes, his 2020 draft will really not look as awful. Then you will have Becton, Mims, Hall, Davis, and Mann- all starters and contributors 2 years later.    

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

JD has had a forgettable 2020 draft and he certainly had some misses in FA but for the most part he has been a great,, even-keel, non-nonsense, smart GM. And his 2021 draft looks pretty legit. 

If Becton turns things around and stays healthy. Big IF but looking like he has a monster chip on his shoulder. And if Mims actually ends up making the team and contributes, his 2020 draft will really not look as awful. Then you will have Becton, Mims, Hall, Davis, and Mann- all starters and contributors 2 years later.    

seriously what planet do you live on?

His roster is terrible as is his record

Mims is a bust becton was a terrible pick-even casual fans said take wirfs 

Joe tore down a 7 win team and made them a 2 and 4 win team-he is what his record says he is-gm of one of the worst teams in the NFL

how has even-keel , no nonsense and smart translated to performance on the field-it has not-might as well say he is a good eater and has strong facial hair and his head looks like mr clean  

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 4

8 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Sad but true. As a Jets fan, I've seen my share of horrendous defenses, but last year's was as bad if not worse than any that I can remember. The offense was bad and had large voids. If we have a 6 wins or less, I would say that even this last rebuild has been an unmitigated disaster.

I disagree. A re-build would suggest to me that you move on from the QB, scrap the coach (potentially GM), you move your best players for draft picks- this would def. be QW, and cut loose/trade any vets with big contracts, even if they are still very good (Lawson). After the young talent JD has amassed on this team, I just don't see that happening. 

To me, it will be the eye test. The Jets could once again be riddled with injuries but Zach looks like he is getting better and better and the defense improves but they still manage to only win 5 or 6 games. That would be terrible. But its not going to signify a rebuild. JMHO. 

OBVIOUSLY, odds are that IF the Jets only win 5-6 games Zach is probably NOT progressing very well and despite any injuries they might be dealing with, the team is just not very good- so YES, it may signify some changes. But not a full on rebuild.  

I don't see Woody scrapping this whole thing and moving on from JD, Saleh and Zach after year two. Regardless of wins. Its what impatient fans would do but not at all what the plan is.   

I've said this numerous times. Zach Wilson, Saleh and JD are all in the same bed. Obviously they will be judged individually. But their contracts line up and its not by accident. By end of the 2024 season when Zach has his option is when the rubber meets the road. I think that is when we will truly know whether this whole thing will need to get scrapped and a full rebuild will need to happen or if the Jets are good enough to continue loading up to compete. Saleh and JD will have one year left on their deals and they will be able to offer Zach an option or re-sign him.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Correct, it doesnt take a decade.  We are 15 months into a ground up rebuild and are waaaaaay ahead of schedule.

Joe D is doing a fantastic job rebuilding this team.

So now it's only 15 months?

By the start of the 2022 season it'll be "Hey, JD just started the full rebuild last week, what did you expect from him haters??"

2022 is JD's fourth season as the Jets GM.  Yes, he came on late for his first season, that is factually accurate and not being debated here.  

Still, it's not 15 months.  It's 36 months this June, 3 full years of JD being in control of this organization's talent, and headed into his 4th season.

And his future IS on the line this year. 

He fails to produce a competitive team in 2022, I guarantee you he is on the hottest of hot seats come 2023 in a win or get fired situation. 

Our owner isn't that patient.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, kmnj said:

seriously what planet do you live on?

His roster is terrible as is his record

Mims is a bust becton was a terrible pick-even casual fans said take wirfs 

Joe tore down a 7 win team and made them a 2 and 4 win team-he is what his record says he is-gm of one of the worst teams in the NFL

how has even-keel , no nonsense and smart translated to performance on the field-it has not-might as well say he is a good eater and has strong facial hair and his head looks like mr clean  

Please tell me why you think this is true. Who/what did he tear down?  That team was garbage, had a cake schedule, and only got by because of the defense. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree. A re-build would suggest to me that you move on from the QB, scrap the coach (potentially GM), you move your best players for draft picks- this would def. be QW, and cut loose/trade any vets with big contracts, even if they are still very good (Lawson). After the young talent JD has amassed on this team, I just don't see that happening. 

To me, it will be the eye test. The Jets could once again be riddled with injuries but Zach looks like he is getting better and better and the defense improves but they still manage to only win 5 or 6 games. That would be terrible. But its not going to signify a rebuild. JMHO. 

OBVIOUSLY, odds are that IF the Jets only win 5-6 games Zach is probably NOT progressing very well and despite any injuries they might be dealing with, the team is just not very good- so YES, it may signify some changes. But not a full on rebuild.  

I don't see Woody scrapping this whole thing and moving on from JD, Saleh and Zach after year two. Regardless of wins. Its what impatient fans would do but not at all what the plan is.   

I've said this numerous times. Zach Wilson, Saleh and JD are all in the same bed. Obviously they will be judged individually. But their contracts line up and its not by accident. By end of the 2024 season when Zach has his option is when the rubber meets the road. I think that is when we will truly know whether this whole thing will need to get scrapped and a full rebuild will need to happen or if the Jets are good enough to continue loading up to compete. Saleh and JD will have one year left on their deals and they will be able to offer Zach an option or re-sign him.  

You raise some very good points and offer a different, intelligent perspective. My hope is that Zach is the guy and we start to click (I can't stand the hatred for the guy before we know anything about him). Anyway, I respect your opinion.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1

You don't think we know anything about him?

Not enough to form a valid opinion one way or the other. Some great QB's have had horrible rookie season and I am NOT saying that Zach will be great. I'd just like to see where he goes from here. 

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So now it's only 15 months?

By the start of the 2022 season it'll be "Hey, JD just started the full rebuild last week, what did you expect from him haters??"

2022 is JD's fourth season as the Jets GM.  Yes, he came on late for his first season, that is factually accurate and not being debated here.  

Still, it's not 15 months.  It's 36 months this June, 3 full years of JD being in control of this organization's talent, and headed into his 4th season.

And his future IS on the line this year. 

He fails to produce a competitive team in 2022, I guarantee you he is on the hottest of hot seats come 2023 in a win or get fired situation. 

Our owner isn't that patient.

No, nobody would say JD started the rebuild last week.  That is silly.  We all know that cutting bait with the coach and qb he inherited was the start of the rebuild.  That was 15 months ago.

Its not that difficult to understand fellas.

• Upvote 1

the rebuild is taking so long cause of JDs obsession over the OL. 2 out of 3 of his 1st rd picks went there. he even traded up to get one of them and there is talk he might make it 3 out of 5. 

his biggest mistake was his 1st pick. no not who he picked but picking any OL. he passed on a good WR draft and passed on Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson, Higgins and Claypool.

and now its Deja Vu all over again. talk of drafting another OT over WR and some even want to wait for rd 2. 

watching how 23 teams (75%) have zero or one drafted OL and made up 10 out of 14 playoff teams including the 2 in the SB its clear the NFL is passing JD by. 

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s amazing how low even the non opto’s set their expectations with this guy. 

“anything less than 5 wins and he’s out” after what, 4 years on the job? I mean, come on…

Celebrate Level Up GIF by HCA Healthcare

• Upvote 3