OT: RIP Gilbert Gottfried

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Literally, just saw this online and was about to start the thread.  Gut punch.  One of my favorite comedians.  I never laughed so hard as when he would go off on Howard's show.  RIP.

That was brilliant.  I love this one too:

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Literally, just saw this online and was about to start the thread.  Gut punch.  One of my favorite comedians.  I never laughed so hard as when he would go off on Howard's show.  RIP.

I was living in NY when he was on Howard a LOT. I would wait in the parking lot of clients until he was done.....   then tell my clients there was traffic. His work on HS was beyond great!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Even if you didn't like the substance of his comedy he had fantastic comedic technique. He knew exactly who he was and didn't try to make his humor anything more or less than exactly who he was. He had a sense of humor about himself and wasn't afraid to make himself the punchline to his own jokes. His timing and delivery was so well paced that it was either constantly carefully crafted or just natural ability to know how to extract all the value out of anything funny he said. He always came off like he was completely comfortable with who he was and that's a level of confidence we should all aspire to. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Yea this came out of nowhere and blows. He was sooooo good on stern before stern became woke.

I love when he did dracula and jerrys seinfelds answering machine

Apparently he's been sick for a while but I'm not sure if that was public info (maybe he was like Norm in that regard).  I certainly had no idea about it.  Just awful news.  He has 2 young children (I think both around 13) too.   So depressing.

RIP to a true legend.

?So sad to hear this. I remember an hbo show he did in the 80’s with these pink flamingos during my druggie days. Yes actual pink flamingos. Absolutely hilarious. One of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. Me and my friend were in tears. Top 5 in fact all time. Had the honor to meet him a couple years back in Manhattan. I couldn’t believe  it. He was walking this little poodle. I stooped him in his tracks and said OMG Gilbert It’s you! I talked to him about the pink flamingos. He could barely remember. He was a shell of his former self. I said you know the hbo show you did.  “Oh yes yes right”. He was so kind and easy to talk to. You could tell he was really really hurting. I told him Love you man you are The Best! He smiled and said thank you thank you and walked off gingerly. ?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

?So sad to hear this. I remember an hbo show he did in the 80’s with these pink flamingos during my druggie days. Yes actual pink flamingos. Absolutely hilarious. One of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. Me and my friend were in tears. Top 5 in fact all time. Had the honor to meet him a couple years back in Manhattan. I couldn’t believe  it. He was walking this little poodle. I stooped him in his tracks and said OMG Gilbert It’s you! I talked to him about the pink flamingos. He could barely remember. He was a shell of his former self. I said you know the hbo show you did.  “Oh yes yes right”. He was so kind and easy to talk to. You could tell he was really really hurting. I told him Love you man you are The Best! He smiled and said thank you thank you and walked off gingerly. ?

That's sad.  So it was obvious he wasn't healthy then?  Somehow I didn't know that. When was it that you saw him?  I talked to him after a show in NYC a few years back too.  He seemed okay at the time but this probably a little over 5 years ago.   I had the same experience that you did in that he was kind, and easy to talk to.  I'm glad I got to tell him "you're the best" (or something like that).  I was being sincere.   I'm upset that he's gone.  He was truly one of a kind.  

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Relentless. Never to be replicated. Only Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters can match his wit. 

Howard Stern in his prime didn't take over a show as much as Gilbert did here.  And even when things waned toward the end (Arsenio called it out), Gilbert still was fearless and doubled down, coming up with a new angle to get laughter again.  Just brilliant!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Howard Stern in his prime didn't take over a show as much as Gilbert did here.  And even when things waned toward the end (Arsenio called it out), Gilbert still was fearless and doubled down, coming up with a new angle to get laughter again.  Just brilliant!

Arsenio couldn’t handle him. Even tried to turn on him. Was totally overmatched. Just an incredible ad lib master. 

• Sympathy 1