Kiper: 2 round mock for Jets

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

4. New York Jets - Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon

10. New York Jets (via SEA) - Drake London, WR, USC

31. New York Jets (via mock trade with CIN) - Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa

38. New York Jets (via CAR) - Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33721368/nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-new-predictions-top-64-picks-rounds-1-2-including-first-round-trade

Not a big fan of London. I'd rather have Wilson. Or even Olave. I just see London as limited and injury prone. Williamson is another guy I just want to stay away from because of injury. Especially at 10. Not a huge fan of drafting a RB in Rd. 2 and if we were to take one everyone knows I'm a huge fan of Walker II. Linderbaum at 31 is a nice pickup, can't argue with that. Something like Thib, Wilson, Linderbaum, Christian Harris would make more sense to me if I was to stick with this type of scenario.  

However, if we are talking trades, I'm doing whatever I can to get my pass rusher, my receiver and Devin Lloyd. So let's say Thib at 4, Wilson at 10, and a trade up from Rd. 2 to take Lloyd. It would be worth losing our extra second rounder to get Lloyd- he's a game-changer, I'm obsessed with this guy the more I watch his game tape and scouting profiles. Then in Rd. 3 you can take an O-lineman and you still have x2 4th and 5th round picks to address TE, RB, S maybe double dip at WR? JMHO.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If you take a WR at 10, he better be a perennial pro-bowl type player. I'm feeling a trade down at 10 and trade up from the 2nd round to snag better value players. 

Just curious.  While I agree a trade-down looks enticing, does this logic not apply to other positions?  If we have to stick and pick at 10, is it better to take an above average CB than an above average WR? 

This draft just may not provide us with any ideal options and we may have to be prepared for a 'best efforts' move.  Not just the Jets - I think every team is facing some version of this truth this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

4. New York Jets - Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon

10. New York Jets (via SEA) - Drake London, WR, USC

31. New York Jets (via mock trade with CIN) - Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa

38. New York Jets (via CAR) - Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33721368/nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-new-predictions-top-64-picks-rounds-1-2-including-first-round-trade

Perfect draft.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Pretty much exactly my feelings.

I don’t mind the focus on offence if we go defence at 4. Zach can’t have any excuses.

London is a strange one. In a sense he’s got a pretty high floor and low ceiling yet there’s still a real question whether that physical dominance will carry over to the NFL because if it doesn’t he has nothing to fall back on. 

Yeah, definitely some real bust potential with those two firsts. I’d be surprised if Douglas took not one but two swings on guys like that. 

• Upvote 2

1 Hutchinson 2 Gardner 3 Walker 4 Kayvon 5 Ekwonu 6 Willis 7 Johnson 8 Wilson 9 Neal 10 London 11 Hamilton 12 Stingley 13 Cross 14 Mcduffie 15 Olave 16 Penning 17 Davis 18 Dean 19 Williams 20 Pickett 21 Lloyd 22 Watson 23 Burks 24 Ebiketie 25 Hill 26 Dotson 27 Wyatt 28 Johnson 29 Booth 30 Karlaftis 31 Linderbaum 32 Cine 33 Green 34 Ojabo 35 Elam 36 Pitre 37 Brisker 38 Hall 39 Gordon 40 Ridder 41 Walker 42 Raimann 43 Mafe 44 Jones 45 Tindall 46 Winfrey 47 Pickens 48 Smith 49 Corral 50 Moore 51 Jackson 52 Metchie 53 Pierce 54 Hall 55 Mcreary 56 Lucas 57 Walker 58 Anderson 59 Sanders 60 Strange 61 Taylor Britt 62 Tolbert 63 Dulchich 64 McBride

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If you take a WR at 10, he better be a perennial pro-bowl type player. I'm feeling a trade down at 10 and trade up from the 2nd round to snag better value players. 

I mean, sure. But this whole narrative about the player HAS to be a perennial pro bowl type player isn't something I pay attention to.

The Pro Bowl is a very specific thing. Making it multiple times is very hard. Its not often that you have guys that regularly go to the pro-bowl. Looking back on the some of the drafts in the past decade there ARE a lot of guys who have made the Pro-Bowl selected in the top 10. BUT certainly not special perennial pro-bowl players. You have guys like Joey Bosa and Christian McCaffrey but you also have guys like Vic Beasly, Leo Williams, Mitch Trubisky, Jameis Winston (these are Pro Bowl players I would not want to draft in the top 10 if I could do it all over again). 

So while I completely agree that there may not be a superstar (perennial pro bowl WR) available at 10. IF the Jets really like him. IF they feel like he is a good fit and is at the top of their board. TAKE HIM. I love Wilson and Olave. I also love Lloyd. If it was up to me, I would take Lloyd at 10 and move back up from Rd. 2. for a WR or take Wilson at 10 and move up for Lloyd. Personally, I think the Jets REALLY like Burks and will move up for him from Rd. 2 because he seems to be the one WR who will slip.

Once all is said and done we may see something like Sauce, Walker, Burks (trade up). It would be very Jetsy but frankly, I'd be ok with that.    

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Just curious.  While I agree a trade-down looks enticing, does this logic not apply to other positions?  If we have to stick and pick at 10, is it better to take an above average CB than an above average WR? 

This draft just may not provide us with any ideal options and we may have to be prepared for a 'best efforts' move.  Not just the Jets - I think every team is facing some version of this truth this year.

Best player available, a slight reach for a position of need, or trade down. That is my order of picking a player at 10. I hate the terms generational or special, but the pick at 10 needs to be a needle mover. This rules out Hamilton, who feels more like a pick 15 player. 

I like this draft a lot. RB2 is an underrated need for the Jets. With the OL and TE group being put in place, the run game could be one  of the better ones in football.

The problem right now is that I’m not sure MC can carry the rock 400 times, he needs relief and we need a committee. I like the idea of Melvin Gordon but Breece Hall works too

• Sympathy 1

Yes, I love this draft - just two things to note though...

1) If you're going to go heavy O in the draft like this.  I love it, but we need to load on D in FA's after the draft.

2) There are still plenty of quality D FA's out there - let's use the money we had earmarked for Hill/DK/AJ and fill the holes on D with the top FA's left...Don't hoard it, go and spend that money.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I don’t mind the focus on offence if we go defence at 4. Zach can’t have any excuses.

Love this - 

You're not happy about going O because it will help the team - but rather so you have a reason to bitch out Zach Wilson. 

Classic stuff....

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Great draft but I’m now starting to worry a lot about LB and even run stopping DT.  Im as pro offense as they get but the weakness here is glaring.  Our highest PFF run stopping grade last year on the line was Q at a 59.  

If JD has a solid plan to address these spots, then I love the picks.

LB is deep thru 4 rounds in this class.

DT isn’t as deep, but I’d bet we can still find a rotational player. That or we go shopping for veterans after the draft (many are not signed).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Love this - 

You're not happy about going O because it will help the team - but rather so you have a reason to bitch out Zach Wilson. 

Classic stuff....

Oddball take.

History of this team is not to give QBs weapons and t gets used as a 2-4 year excuse to not move on from a bust. It’s an acknowledgment of a repeating trend.

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, definitely some real bust potential with those two firsts. I’d be surprised if Douglas took not one but two swings on guys like that. 

London is most people WR1 i would love to know what makes his bust potential any higher than other WRs? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The bengals decide to pass on linderbaum 

the bengals. 

ok

why not? 

its evident that the NFL doesn't put the same importance in the OL as Jet fans do especially center. im not familar with there roster but its quite possible they dont think they lost the SB because of there center. 

the Bengals are the definition of a team "one" player away from a championship.

i hope they do draft him cause i dont want him around for us to even consider. i like this mock but i cant agree with taken a center instead of adding a 2nd out of the top 4 picks on the worst defense in NFL history.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oddball take.

History of this team is not to give QBs weapons and t gets used as a 2-4 year excuse to not move on from a bust. It’s an acknowledgment of a repeating trend.

Not really.

I think it's an oddball take for you because it's how you see things too.   Zach hasn't made excuses and he had every right to.

Wanting to get good players so your QB doesn't have excuses for failure - as your first though - is ridiculous.  

A rational person wants good players so the team does well - so the team succeeds.  And even if you want to make it about the QB - then it should be so Zach has his best chance to succeed.

What he wrote and you agreed with - reeks of hoping for failure.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

I agree but can Douglas and Saleh take the heat of picking Williams and him not contributing for the first half of the season?   Or us watching the offensive struggle to produce in the first half of season and us fans sitting here patiently knowing Williams will be on the field around mid season but probably not 100 % until 2023?     

I hope JD is checking on the rehab process and seeing where JW is at. Ahead or behind schedule may determine where he is picked.

I personally prefer a 3-month JW to a 6-month London or Wilson for this season and beyond.

1 hour ago, xJayce said:

Depends on what the plan is for this year. If this is 'win now', it'll make it a bit tougher to draft a player that will be out for half the season.

However, if the plan is to continue to build the foundation, and you have Williams > London, then take Williams.

Either way, whenever they draft a WR, that WR is not getting more than 500-600 yards this season. He won't move the needle too much this year. The Offense won't be make or break on that new WR. I think the two new TEs will have a bigger impact.

• Sympathy 1