Two interesting quotes from Thibodeaux...

1 minute ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

“Chess is life and chess is football. You talk about doing your first move, and your first move is going to set up your second move, then your third move ahead,” he said. “When you talk about pass rush, I’m going to hit you with speed first. I always hit you with speed, speed, speed. That’s going to set up my power moves, and then my power moves are going to set up my counter.” – Kayvon Thibodeaux

And then there is this...

"There's nothing a coach could tell me that I don't already know." - Kayvon Thibodeaux

I'm just glad I'm not making the decision to take or pass on this guy.

Where are these quotes coming from? Is there a full article?

The coach comment is...not good. But curious what the context is. 

• Upvote 2

He may be right about the coaching bit.  Players get over coached in the nfl.  The biggest thing some of these kids do not realize about the jump to the nfl.  The worst guy you are going up against in the nfl is usually better than almost every one you face in college.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Where are these quotes coming from? Is there a full article?

The coach comment is...not good. But curious what the context is. 

I heard the coach comment this morning on Good Morning Football and then I decided to google quotes by Thibodeaux and several popped up...I chose the "chess" quote for this post.

24 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

“Chess is life and chess is football. You talk about doing your first move, and your first move is going to set up your second move, then your third move ahead,” he said. “When you talk about pass rush, I’m going to hit you with speed first. I always hit you with speed, speed, speed. That’s going to set up my power moves, and then my power moves are going to set up my counter.” – Kayvon Thibodeaux

"There's nothing a coach could tell me that I don't already know." - Kayvon Thibodeaux

The first comment is nothing special. Most players, unless they have extremely low football IQ or have a bare cupboard of pass rush moves, know this without having to compare it to chess. 

The second comment, mostly sounds really bad, but could ok in the sense that this is a guy who is supremely confident in his abilities. I mean, we ARE talking about someone who was highly touted coming out of high school, dominated college, and now is projected to be a top 5 draft pick. You need to have supreme confidence to be successful in the NFL.

But again, doesn't sound great. If you are smart, you don't say this kind of s**t even if you are thinking it. And regardless of how good you THINK you are, if you don't think you can learn and get better, you are destined to fail at the next level.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

still don't like how that sounds

Yeah, sounds like one of those guys who does something wrong, the coach comes up and tries to explain to him 'hey you need to watch the guard'....then KT cuts him off and says 'I got it!'. The definition of not coachable, lol. Thinks he knows everything and keeps making the same mistake. Bad look for KT on this quote. Ooof, as much as I want him to slide to Jets because he's one of the top talents, I just as much wish he goes top 3 so the Jets don't even have to think about it and go with Sauce or JJ or trade down.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Let's say JD drafted Wirfs and Claypool or Trevon Diggs or Van Jefferson in 2020, and followed with his 2021 Draft.  Maybe he even drafted contributors in the 3rd and 4th rounds of 2020. 

At that point maybe he takes a flyer on Thib and his talent.  If he then picked a high floor pick at 10 who contributed, and nailed his 2nd and 3rd round, even if Thib imploded I think people would be patient and think it was worth the risk.

But JD had a horrible  2020 draft.  He needs to draft guys that are hardworking, don't cause trouble and stay out of the newspapers.  I don't know how he takes a player like Thib.  Thib is a draft pick that gets you fired.  

JD needs high floor players at 4 and 10 who automatically improve and build the roster and build the culture.

Plus I think Thib looks small.  

I get what you are saying, but I think a bunch of this falls on the coaches.  When you are dealing with "personality" you need the coach to decide if they can motivate the player and get him to fit in and then for the GM to decide if he believes the coach.   Some personalities don't work in some systems - that may be the problem with Becton and/or Mims.  

• Upvote 1

The great ones tend to have this attitude. Kobe and Michael are 2 good examples 

if you think he has the will to dominate his opponents and more importantly WIN, this doesn’t bother me 

Id be more curious to see evidence of a pathological hatred of losing  the great ones also usually have that, which is different than wanting to win 

It’s probably also true btw  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He may be right about the coaching bit.  Players get over coached in the nfl.  The biggest thing some of these kids do not realize about the jump to the nfl.  The worst guy you are going up against in the nfl is usually better than almost every one you face in college.

EXACTLY....

He could very well be saying "look, there isn't anything a coach can tell me that I already know."  As most professionals.  What a coach sometimes needs to do is just remind the player to do what they already know what to do. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I absolutely 100% agree with his first quote.  It IS life.  You should focus on it, devote time to it, become an expert!  She'll love you for it.

EDIT:  My bad.  I thought he said Chest is life.

Fight Club Hug GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I’m split right down the middle with this guy to tell you the truth. While we need to address the DE position and I would most likely take Thibs at 4, part of me is hoping he’s already taken before he drops to us so JD and the fan base doesn’t have to stress out if they should draft him or not.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Okay. That means that our whole solar system could be, like one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being.  This is too much! That means one tiny atom in my fingernail could be -

I saw that when I was 12, to this day I still see Donald Southerland's saggy ass peaking out of that sweater every time I hear his name.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1