F it take both KT and JJ….

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

2021 Draft had 4 WR's who went for over 900 yards and 5 TD's.

2020 Draft had 4 WR's who went for over 900 yards and 5 TD's their rookie years.

2019 Draft had 3 WR's who went for over 900 yards and 5 TD's their rookie years.

And this is just the top end, elite #1 WR level, most of the guys above were quite a bit higher in either yards or TD's, and plenty of guys were in the 700-800+Yards or 3-5+TD ranges as well.  Quite a few just missed the 900/5 threshold as rookies.

The "a WR takes three years to be productive at the NFL level" claim is a outdated meme at this point.  Numerous college WR's are producing day 1, and if not day 1, definitely by year 2.  It doesn't take that long anymore....if you pick the right guys, and give them the opportunity. 

That's the hard part.

EDIT: Our own Moore would have likely been an 800/6 type guy if he hadn't been hurt.  

I'd challenge it with recency bias as opposed to an outdated meme. There have been a couple years with higher production from rookie WRs, but this is a newer trend (ie - Jefferson sets the rookie WR record for yards, then the following year, it gets re-written by Chase).

I doubt we see continued production at that level. If you take a look at 2019, there were 13 WRs drafted in the first 3 rounds, and 3 met the criteria listed. 10 others did not. I think expecting a rookie WR to be productive from season one, even though some have, is setting ourselves up for disappointment.

And yeah, I completely agree, picking the right guys is the hard part. McLaurin, one of the top rookie WRs in regards to production, was a 3rd round pick from that year. Pretty sure lots of GMs would like a redo. :)

On another note, reviewing our 2019 draft was painful...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Chase Bengals GIF by The Undroppables

Ceedee Lamb Carolina GIF by The Undroppables

Miami Dolphins GIF by The Undroppables

Lets Go Football GIF by New York Jets

Pittsburgh Steelers Football GIF by Pepsi

AHAHAHAHA...

I stand corrected...

IT DOESN'T HAPPEN OFTEN. We have a serious case of recency bias we some very high level production from Rookie WRs over the last couple of years. :) 

What I should have said was: "If we expect the offense to be powered by a rookie WR, we're setting ourselves up for disappointment as, asides from a few outliers, we don't see much production from them".

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, xJayce said:

AHAHAHAHA...

I stand corrected...

IT DOESN'T HAPPEN OFTEN. We have a serious case of recency bias we some very high level production from Rookie WRs over the last couple of years. :) 

What I should have said was: "If we expect the offense to be powered by a rookie WR, we're setting ourselves up for disappointment as, asides from a few outliers, we don't see much production from them".

Fair. 

But an argument could be made that it's the start of a trend and I happen to like a few of the WRs in this draft quite a bit, but what do I know. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

the above is complete nonsense

chase and jefferon the past two years had major impact right out of the gate and there are others as well

Yes, let's take the two guys that SET RECORDS as our example. Of course whoever is drafted this year will re-write the rookie WR record this year again. 

Most WRs selected in the first couple of rounds will align closer to 500-600 yards in the rookie season. Always a few exceptions. There will always the one player that defies the trend. If you're expecting that the success of this offense will be predicated selecting a WR at 10, you'll be sorely disappointed.

The answer is already in house for this season (Uzomah, Conklin, Moore, Davis, Carter). Anything we get from a rookie WR this season is a bonus.

2 minutes ago, xJayce said:

AHAHAHAHA...

I stand corrected...

Right and Zach still has a lot to work on for himself for a rookie WR to even excel here too. Which is why I would invest in grabbing 2 edges in first round. They would provide most immediate impact to a game with them being the only variable to the equation. Every position on the field needs assistance from a teammate except CB and Edge

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fair. 

But an argument could be made that it's the start of a trend and I happen to like a few of the WRs in this draft quite a bit, but what do I know. 

I'll give you that it's possible. It's a very small sample size at the moment to predict a rookie WR has much impact on an offense for a few reasons:
1 - There are many pass catchers on a team, you'd need to find someone who outclasses your current crop of receivers / TEs
2 - It's soooo hard to predict whose skill set translates into the next level (you cited a few great examples, but there are also multiple busts / average players selected in the first 3 rounds, and you can get some great WRs in the 2nd / 3rd round)
3 - With our upgrade at OL (Becton back, signing a new Probowl guard), that may have a bigger impact on the offensive than drafting a WR would have.

15 minutes ago, ZachStepdad said:

Right and Zach still has a lot to work on for himself for a rookie WR to even excel here too. Which is why I would invest in grabbing 2 edges in first round. They would provide most immediate impact to a game with them being the only variable to the equation. Every position on the field needs assistance from a teammate except CB and Edge

I do think another viable target can HELP Zack. Getting someone who can separate would definitely be beneficial. I think the two TEs that were brought in also help a lot. If Mims can have a resurgence (not counting on it), that would also help. And having people stay healthy is prolly the biggest factor in our offense taking off.

I do like the idea of getting some D in. Anything to get the D off the field so Zack and the rest of the O have more opportunities to score.

2 minutes ago, xJayce said:

I do think another viable target can HELP Zack. Getting someone who can separate would definitely be beneficial. I think the two TEs that were brought in also help a lot. If Mims can have a resurgence (not counting on it), that would also help. And having people stay healthy is prolly the biggest factor in our offense taking off.

I do like the idea of getting some D in. Anything to get the D off the field so Zack and the rest of the O have more opportunities to score.

I actually would like the trade up into 1st idea for a wr or trade down from 10 and grab defense and wr route as well. I’m just saying if I had control this is what I would do.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZachStepdad said:

Well same if sh*t happens if Zach Wilson is bad with a new 1st round WR that needs ZW to be good to affect the game at all….. EDGE > WR. EDGE affects games, WRs need the QB to preform to do anything 

You don't seem to have a lot of faith in your step son

I'm not necessarily advocating for WR 4 or 10 just don't want two edges.