• Lateral Mobility/Athleticism: ++
  • Point of Attack Power: ++
  • Hands: ++
  • Anchor: ++
  • Strength: ++
  • Size: +
  • Versatility: +

Summary

Tyler Linderbaum was a defensive lineman who converted to center at Iowa after the 2019 season. In his two seasons at center, Linderbaum posted a PFF grade of 91.5 in 2020, followed up with a 95.4 grade in 2021, which was best among centers. He also had a 96.6 run blocking grade, which was also tops at the positions. Linderbaum shows the balance needed to play center, as well as the run blocking acumen to get to the second level and seal off defenders to open up running lanes. He is a good mover in space, displaying his ability to get downfield in a hurry on pulls and screens. At the point of attack, Linderbaum is powerful while maintaining good hand placement. He has a good anchor in pass protection, with plenty of strength for his size.

Linderbaum is a true center only prospect due to his size, and he is only a fit for a handful of schemes in the NFL. Fortunately, the Jets are one of those teams, and they could look to cut ties with current center Connor McGovern to draft him, a move that saves $9M in cap space. Linderbaum posted elite testing numbers at his pro day, solidifying what his college tape has already told us – he should be a first round pick. New York may get lucky and see him fall out of Round 1, but if they don’t think he will make it to 35th overall, they should look to move up and acquire a player of Linderbaum’s talent and potential.

Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum at his pro day (among iOL historically)

6’2” 302
4.98 40 (96th percentile)
1.71 10 (93rd)
7.14 3-cone (100th)
4.38 pro agility (97th)
32.5 vertical (92nd)
110.5 broad (93rd)

elite.

— Anthony Treash (@PFF_Anthony) April 11, 2022

The post JetNation 2022 NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, ManCave Analyst said:

Every time I hear his name mentioned on TV , he gets paired to being selected by the Jets. Apparently, he fits with our supposed zone blocking scheme. In spite of his shorter arm length and lack of ideal size and strength.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't worry about that so much as there's no such thing as a center worth the #10 or #4 overall pick in the draft. That's for playmakers and/or huge-money positions; otherwise just sign good or elite known quantity veterans & keep those high picks.

In round 2? Sure, fine. It's not a significant team need, but if he's not what he's expected to be then he should still be at worst roughly on par with McGovern, at a far lower salary (~$2MM/year) for the next 4 seasons. McGovern's salary this year ($9MM) is almost exactly what a high 2nd round pick will get cumulatively over his entire rookie contract, and if he's even close to his projection they can safely presume he starts as a rookie right away, making McGovern expendable now instead of a year later. Then there's the additional savings on an extension for McGovern, if they still want him.

There's technically a 5th year option if they trade up, but for a center the savings is negligible (and potentially no savings at all, if he's as good as advertised and gets elected to a couple pro bowls). The reason a team like the Jets would trade up is if they don't think he'd reach their 2nd round pick, not because of the 5th year option. That option year is really only a noticeable savings for big-money positions. Until they stop calculating franchise tag and 5th year option values for centers the same as left tackles, it's meaningless for the latter.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I love this guy and want the Jets to have a young stud C, but I agree that they should not take him at 4 or 10.  If he's there for them in the 2nd round, then run to the podium with the pick.

If they trade back, maybe, but the Jets really need to draft at least one edge early, and hopefully two before the end of round 3.  I do worry about OT next year more than IOL...the Jets are paper thin there right now, and they simply must prepare for Fant and Becton to miss multiple games.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I love this guy and want the Jets to have a young stud C, but I agree that they should not take him at 4 or 10.  If he's there for them in the 2nd round, then run to the podium with the pick.

If they trade back, maybe, but the Jets really need to draft at least one edge early, and hopefully two before the end of round 3.  I do worry about OT next year more than IOL...the Jets are paper thin there right now, and they simply must prepare for Fant and Becton to miss multiple games.

Even if they trade back, I'd still say no. Maybe if you're talking about trading into the bottom 5 picks of the round, I guess, but there'll  surely still be a better pick.

I'm not taking filled (and easier to fill) positions like center, that don't keep teams out of playoffs and superbowls, over playmaking positions they simply must have (and in which the Jets are lacking). Even more so when it's not even the the type of position where history's shown you're either drafting an elite prospect in round 1 or you're drafting/fielding certain garbage that dooms your football team. Quite the contrary.

If there's even a consideration that they might take him in round 1 then it was gross negligence to not outbid the Chargers by $2-3MM/year for Linsley a year ago (he got $12.5MM/year), which would've then eliminated several million set aside for Feeney, Lewis, and adding LDT. Never mind how much more sense it'd have made a year ago than this year, with McGovern then coming off a pretty bad first season here.

So no, I'm not sympathetic to this GM then taking a center in round 1. 

Round 2? It's not my top preference, but I'm ok with it if his talent - position aside - truly was mid-round 1 level as some claim. I become more of a pure BPA guy as the draft gets further in anyway, and the $ savings is significant enough (over just acquiring a veteran) to justify it. 

51 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Or Bengals take him late round 1. They are hell bent on restructuring that OL. Would be a good pick for them. 

They just signed Karras away from New England for $6MM/year and this season's guaranteed. Center isn't one of those positions you draft in round 1 and then let him grow/learn in practice while he's on the sideline on gameday all year. A round 1 center is expected to be the starter instantly, or you don't take him that early (or you drafted poorly). 

They could move him to guard for the year - he's played there, too - but they're better off with their cheap veteran center and draft a better guard.

So, yeah, could be. But I wouldn't wreck my draft board over a center that the team doesn't need.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They just signed Karras away from New England for $6MM/year and this season's guaranteed. Center isn't one of those positions you draft in round 1 and then let him grow/learn in practice while he's on the sideline on gameday all year. A round 1 center is expected to be the starter instantly, or you don't take him that early (or you drafted poorly). 

They could move him to guard for the year - he's played there, too - but they're better off with their cheap veteran center and draft a better guard.

So, yeah, could be. But I wouldn't wreck my draft board over a center that the team doesn't need.

So good. Then he’ll be there at 35 or 38 for us ?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

So good. Then he’ll be there at 35 or 38 for us ?

Like I said earlier today, it wouldn't be my preference.

I wouldn't be breaking stuff & cursing us having another empty-headed GM like I would if he took a center at #10 the way an unbelievable number of Jets fans wanted for most of this offseason.

If there are enough picks remaining, the team could weather drafting a C at the top of round 2 when it doesn't need one. But the team has far greater needs, and no way could I advocate trading up for interior OL again (this time when they don't even need one).

If the last two SB teams showed anything it's that the path to the SB isn't paved with the type of building blocks from over-investing in the OL.

• Upvote 1

Linderbaum has 31 1/8 arms. That's shockingly short. Like historical short. That's the 6th shortest arm size in an OL prospect since the year 2000. In that time there's only been 27 guys with sub 32" arms. None of those guys really made anything of themselves and Minnesota Viking are one of the few teams who highly invested in one as far as draft capital. They drafted Garrett Bradbury 3 years ago who has 31 7/8" arms. It's funny to say that their fans and media or mocking Linderbaum to 12 to replace him.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:32 AM, Maynard13 said:

Or Bengals take him late round 1. They are hell bent on restructuring that OL. Would be a good pick for them. 

I believe that is where he will land.

Oops, didn't remember they signed Karras...  So maybe he won't go to Cinci...

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Like I said earlier today, it wouldn't be my preference.

I wouldn't be breaking stuff & cursing us having another empty-headed GM like I would if he took a center at #10 the way an unbelievable number of Jets fans wanted for most of this offseason.

If there are enough picks remaining, the team could weather drafting a C at the top of round 2 when it doesn't need one. But the team has far greater needs, and no way could I advocate trading up for interior OL again (this time when they don't even need one).

If the last two SB teams showed anything it's that the path to the SB isn't paved with the type of building blocks from over-investing in the OL.

I was one of those dummies - lol.  I remember thinking at some point last year that we should take OL with both of our 1st rounders.  I think it was after that Colts game where they knocked us off the ball with their dominant OL.  Obviously they didn't even make the playoffs though I'm sure they would have had they had a decent QB instead of Wentz (who was awful last year).  But in retrospect it does seem silly with all the other needs on this team (aside from it definitely not being the way to maximize value from the draft).