Greg Cosell evaluates the top Edge Rushers

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

It was bizarre to me that refused to even talk about trayvon walker as an edge guy.  "We will talk about him when we talk D tackles'.....what?

He’s considered an inside guy based on what I’ve read 

• Upvote 3

To me Cosell is the best talent evaluator in the media. His breakdown of Darnold per draft was scary how accurate it was. I’m starting to lean more toward Jermaine Johnson at 4 as the draft gets closer. He has the best combination of tape, production, measurable and character of the edge group outside of Hutch.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Cosell loves Jermaine Johnson, however, and thinks he could eventually be the best EDGE to come out of this class. Still learning the position, but played well in his snaps at UGA, then dommed play in/play out at FSU. 

YEA BABY !!!  lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

To me Cosell is the best talent evaluator in the media. His breakdown of Darnold per draft was scary how accurate it was. I’m starting to lean more toward Jermaine Johnson at 4 as the draft gets closer. He has the best combination of tape, production, measurable and character of the edge group outside of Hutch.

My favorite quote of someone’s, maybe his, regarding darnold pre draft was something like “…he’s rooting for the pocket to break down so he can improvise…”. That was just perfect.  And the reason is now obvious, darnold can’t read defenses.

31 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

There’s no secret sauce to evaluating these guys especially when you don’t get to interview them. Costell is just another guy who has a lot of time to watch football. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

There is no chance I listen to that so thanks.  

I agree with Hutch.  While I hate comps, there fun at times and the guy I keep thinking Hutch is reminding me of at this point is Chris Long.  He's meh, all around but high character, hard worker, high motor guy who peaked his Snr. year with a bloated sack # but everyone knew, that's not who Chris Long would be in the NFL, so nobody had the perfect spot for him on draft day but everyone knew it was top 5.  Hutch is Long, IMO.  Good player, maybe a season or 2 he gets into double digits.  I've used Calvin Pace before but I think he was more versatile, honestly.  Long seems like the perfect comp.

Weird feedback on Thibs.  I've seen film of him literally going super man flat to reach the QB.  So while sure, he doesnt have that insane Miller/Garret bend, I think this is extreme.  And saying he's a DT is stupid.  It would completely neutralize the entire reason he's in the conversation, he's got one of the best first steps I've ever seen and his win rate is ridiculous.  He's the definition shot out of the cannon but him inside negates that strength and then to say you like JJ the best, who similarly, lacks the bend he describes, seems agenda filled and I like JJ a lot.

I’ve been stuck in an NFL draft podcast rabbit hole for a few weeks (at work) and the theme you pick up with Thibodeaux is that a lot of people simply dislike him and he’s not talented enough to compensate for it. I heard one league “insider” say that the Texans won’t draft Thibodeaux because “he’s not Texans material.” This is why you’re seeing all these guys pushing Travon Walker to #1.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve been stuck in an NFL draft podcast rabbit hole for a few weeks (at work) and the theme you pick up with Thibodeaux is that a lot of people simply dislike him and he’s not talented enough to compensate for it. I heard one league “insider” say that the Texans won’t draft Thibodeaux because “he’s not Texans material.” This is why you’re seeing all these guys pushing Travon Walker to #1.

Too many accounts of thibs being a bit stiff.  If he were john Abraham you would just have to take him b/c he won you some games.  He just did.  As it stands, i think the jets go JJ at 4 and then gardener will be there at 10 and saleh and his scouts will be pounding the table to just take him and have a great first round and then you’re not really getting one of those wrs b/c they will be overdrafted.  Getting an edge at 4 seems like a near given b/c even at 10 they could be gone.  I really don’t see ekongwu on the jets.  But at 10 i think that’s where the debates begin, cb/wr.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The attitude issue (if there is one) you can live with if he's TO obsessed with football. Get the impression he's a limited every Friday practice type of guy and it just becomes exhausting and a distraction. Media frowns on the fans wanting insane competitors now it seems, but it's still a critical ingredient in bad teams getting good. Thibs jaking a hammy because a coach wanted to coach him will be a pain in the neck.

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I agree with Hutch.  While I hate comps, there fun at times and the guy I keep thinking Hutch is reminding me of at this point is Chris Long.  He's meh, all around but high character, hard worker, high motor guy who peaked his Snr. year with a bloated sack # but everyone knew, that's not who Chris Long would be in the NFL, so nobody had the perfect spot for him on draft day but everyone knew it was top 5.  Hutch is Long, IMO.  Good player, maybe a season or 2 he gets into double digits.  I've used Calvin Pace before but I think he was more versatile, honestly.  Long seems like the perfect comp.

Weird feedback on Thibs.  I've seen film of him literally going super man flat to reach the QB.  So while sure, he doesnt have that insane Miller/Garret bend, I think this is extreme.  And saying he's a DT is stupid.  It would completely neutralize the entire reason he's in the conversation, he's got one of the best first steps I've ever seen and his win rate is ridiculous.  He's the definition shot out of the cannon but him inside negates that strength and then to say you like JJ the best, who similarly, lacks the bend he describes, seems agenda filled and I like JJ a lot.

You should listen to it because what he says about Thibs has a good chance of changing your mind on what you just wrote. 

He never said there was no film of Thibs going flat to reach the QB. In fact he said there was film on it, but few and far between. Says what teams do is look at that film and say "see, he did it there so maybe we can work with him to do it more often", essentially a projection. Didn't hear him say anything about going inside and being a DT. Did say he was impressed by his run defense.  

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Again, I don't know where the KT can't flatten narrative is coming from. I've seen it on film from him more often than I have from Hutch. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It’s because he wasn’t an edge in college  - lol.

This is a common complaint 

And why there is no way in the world he should be rated as highly as people are rating him and everyone snd their dog is projecting him to be an edge.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Also loves Ojabo, thinks he has the chance to be better than Hutchinson. Concerns about the injury,obviously, but if healthy has elite tools

If he can be had in the top of 2nd that could be a steal. So many ways JD can play this. Probably won’t play this season but could listen and learn from Lawson this season while rehabbing. 

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And why there is no way in the world he should be rated as highly as people are rating him and everyone snd their dog is projecting him to be an edge.

He has physical potential but I agree.

too risky to be a top 5 pick for me, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone bites 

4 hours ago, jetlaw said:

What did he think of Zach?

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The attitude issue (if there is one) you can live with if he's TO obsessed with football. Get the impression he's a limited every Friday practice type of guy and it just becomes exhausting and a distraction. Media frowns on the fans wanting insane competitors now it seems, but it's still a critical ingredient in bad teams getting good. Thibs jaking a hammy because a coach wanted to coach him will be a pain in the neck.

I’d think that if the Thibodeaux attitude issues are overblown, he’ll get drafted top three and that’ll be the end of it. But if he’s there at four, it’s because there’s at least some validity to these reports and other teams simply wanted no part of him. There’s no reason a guy with Thibodeaux’s resume shouldn’t go first overall, particularly when you look at the meh prospects he’s competing against, so if he drops you know there’s a problem.

I also agree with you on bringing him here. The Jets are guaranteed to be a laughing stock all year, and it’s easy to imagine how a guy like Thibodeaux is going to react to being part of a lost cause season. I know we disagree about this, but Saleh also hasn’t shown that he can motivate guys who aren’t self-starters. Say what you will about Becton and Mims, but those guys at least showed up for Gase and both of those guys snoozed through year one of Saleh without once getting called out for it by the franchise. Look at John Franklin Myers, too. Dude got paid and immediately went into the tank. This coaching staff is going to have enough sack to motivate Thibodeaux? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d think that if the Thibodeaux attitude issues are overblown, he’ll get drafted top three and that’ll be the end of it. But if he’s there at four, it’s because there’s at least some validity to these reports and other teams simply wanted no part of him. There’s no reason a guy with Thibodeaux’s resume shouldn’t go first overall, particularly when you look at the meh prospects he’s competing against, so if he drops you know there’s a problem.

I also agree with you on bringing him here. The Jets are guaranteed to be a laughing stock all year, and it’s easy to imagine how a guy like Thibodeaux is going to react to being part of a lost cause season. I know we disagree about this, but Saleh also hasn’t shown that he can motivate guys who aren’t self-starters. Say what you will about Becton and Mims, but those guys at least showed up for Gase and both of those guys snoozed through year one of Saleh without once getting called out for it by the franchise. Look at John Franklin Myers, too. Dude got paid and immediately went into the tank. This coaching staff is going to have enough sack to motivate Thibodeaux? 

I’m still on the fence if saleh is just good at looking the part or if he’s actually putting in the work. The house thing is a flag.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, jetlaw said:

This is the logic I hate.. People are so fixated on edge here that they will justify taking these guys at 4 and not one of them is good enough for that spot. We need edge help but we do not need to force it as so so many want to do. Icky Gardner Trade down should be only real options at 4 and I dislike everything other than trading down. I would much rather take a WR at 4 than any of these hyped up beyond all reason edge players. If everyone has a different order than none of them are worth #4.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Where John Franklin Myers was playing out of position. My question would be where is Bryce Huff going to be playing?

If one was to purchase a  2022 Lexus RX 350, the last thing you should worried about is where you're going to park your old 1998 Toyota Corolla. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You know what cracks me up about this particular situation and the clown show that has become the pre-draft evaluation process, is the same morons that told you a man who nicknamed himself "the Prez" was a generational leader, are telling you that Thibs is the devil.