Diaries of a Draft Jerk (2022 edition)

25 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Many Jets fans completely disagree with this analysis, pick and rationale.   The Jets drafted "clean" prospects at non-premium positions  like this for years under Mac (Williams and Adams for example) and look where that landed the team.  I just do not see a Saleh coached team using such premier draft capital on a DB.  In fact, many Jets fans would be shocked and upset - even angry - if Gardner is the pick at 4.  Hutch, Thibs, Walker, Wilson, or Ekwonu would be OK at 4. Trade down (if someone actually wants to trade up). Gardner?  No way.  CB is just not a premium position in the NFL any more and it is less valued in a Saleh defense.  

1) CB is a premium position based on money.

2) Adams, Williams and Q were good players without high end physical traits. Gardner is not that. He’s a specimen with high tape and speed and size. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

Therefore, I am more inclined to believe the pick is an OL because I only see 2 or 3 of the currently projected starters being here in 2 years when this team will really be competing.

you can say that about every position on the team. rosters change by about 30% each year.

RB. MC1..... Coleman and TY should be gone.

WR: Moore.......... Davis and Berrios contracts will be done. Mims should be gone too.

DL: QW maybe. Lawson, Fatusi, JFM probably are gone.

LB: NONE...............Mosley and QW2 are gone.

CB: Reed and everyone else will be on there last year of there contracts.

S: the new guy will have one year left: Joyner and Davis will be gone.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

nerd.jpg?_ga=2.170670754.383989346.16499

Two weeks until Thursday night. The moment when we'll finally get clarity on this, one of the murkiest draft classes I can recall in over a decade. The Jets are strapped like First Blood pt2 with draft capital, and beautiful positioned with two picks inside the top 10. Yet somehow, it's laden with "of course"... One of the weakest QB draft classes has minimized the likelihood of monster trade back deal like the one SF paid to move up to #3.  Compounding this frown, is a general a lack blue chip talent, especially on offense where the jets need badly to infuse talent with the likes of a Kyle Pitts, or J'Marr Chase... Instead, they're left tottering on the decision to reach on a receiver at #10. 

With a surge of off-season clips floating around social media, you get the sense that Becton will make a run at living up to his draft pedigree and let Joe Douglas off the hook for the need to consider one of the two stud OTs in Even Neal or Ikem Ekwonu - the former gaining steam as the most trade-targeted prospect as April winds down; The Giants and Saints have been floated as potentially focused on landing Neal. With Jets signing ex-49er OG Tomlinson, they are quietly sitting pretty if Becton's rise from the ashes goes as planned - though you have to think Iowa's Linderbaum's name will surface if the Jets find themselves in a position to trade back deep in the 1st, or potentially as a target to move up from #35. One name to remember is Tulsa's Tyler Smith, a day 2 OT whom the Jets met with and sent various VIPs out to attend his proday.  

helping-senior-on-computer_300x300.jpg?v

Currently, the three most popular names to come off the board before the Jets pick at #4, are the two ends/pass rushers Hutchinson and Thibodeaux, and big OT Neal. While there's a chance Thibodeaux's larger than life "persona" has him slide to the Jets at four, he'll be up against the true gem of the draft and one of only 2 or 3 blue chip players in the class -- Cincinnati's Ahmad Gardner. You wanna get in the good graces of NY, Joe? Channel the Revis-fever and take the 6'3 200lb lockdown CB, one of the draft's cleanest prospects. When the dust settles, unless someone blows or blows away Joey D with an offer representing a coveted QB, I expect Gardner's name to be called at #4 - who will immediately bring legitimacy to an emerging secondary alongside DJ Reed and Bryce Hall

If the Jets do indeed take Sauce at #4, the conversation then steers to pick #10 where the Jet will hold their breath in hopes *possibly* that FSU edge rusher Jermaine Johnson II, who visited the Joe & Rob last week and by all accounts, hit it out of Florham park. "awesome" was the Seminole's words to describe his time with Saleh & Company. On the other hand, if Thibodeaux does land in the Jets lap at #4, word is they have no issues pulling the trigger, and with Sauce (likely) long gone by #10,  the question of what to do looms large. 

maxresdefault.jpg

WR Drake London on paper gives the Jets what they lack - a tall frame who can make a difference both outside and in the redzone.  The Jets however, haven't spent (or shown) a lot of interest. Curious considering they've not been shy this offseason, swinging on cascade of WR FAs/Trade targets  and scheduling visits with Treylon Burks, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave and Jameson Williams.  It's anyone's guess when they'll pull the trigger on a WR, but GMs in Joe's position don't ordinarily meet with 4 or 5 prospects when they'll have their pick of the bunch - suggesting a possible trade up from round 2. On paper a healthy Jameson Williams gives Joe what he covets, though not without some injury/development risk. Garrett Wilson conversely offers more versatility and polish, but without "keeping defensive coordinators up at night" mystique. 

Which brings us to Tight Ends, where the Jets band-aided their lack of success in FA with two tall receiving options in Uzomah and Conklin. Both do well to bolster immediate needs, though neither inspire masturbatory release. Jets had a TON of opportunity to see this TE class up close at senior bowl, which featured most of the top names; Tre McBride, Jeremy Ruckert, Isaiah Likely, and others. Though it seems FA investment takes them out of the running of a few popular names, it's interesting to note that Likely was brought in for a top 30 visit, a popular Round 3 TE who offers more versatility than any other prospect in the class - he can line up all over the LOS; a coveted quality in Lafleur's offense. Another name to keep in mind of course is the mutant Jelani Woods, a 6'7 260 phenom with soft hands and a knack for making big plays. He was curiously linked to the Jets by draft media at the combine. 

28-CITY-JETS-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Less arousing and taking up air time, is the need to restock the Dline and LBing' corps. I'd wager a strong bet one of those first 5 picks the jets have will be spent a field general like ILBs Chad Muma, Jake Luketa or Georgia's own Nakobe Dean -- all of whom the Jets have visited with. Quietly, Jets have also made a point sniffing around DT, spending time with linemen Demetrius Taylor (APSU) Devonte Wyatt (UGA) Perrion Winfrey (OU) and others. This, in addition to meeting safeties that fall across the draft - suggests that while choices at WR and TE will make headlines, the narrative of this class could very well wind up being defensive. The Jets appear poised to spend no less that 4 to 5 picks on the D side of the ball.

But back to RB, those with Breece Hall, or Isaiah Spiller on their wishlist might want to prepare for disappointment. The Jets have invested very little time and resources into this RB class, and while of course they could be feigning disinterest -- that "cunning tact" feels pretty black forest ham-ish if you're consider a top 40 pick on a player. Ultimately I expect the Jets to look at economy options later in the draft that fit Lafleur's system; guys like LSU's Ty Davis-Price, Rachaad White, or fingers crossed on Toledo's Bryant Koback... It's worth nothing that the jets have kept the finger on the pulse of South Dakota's Pierre Strong Jr, a personal fave who appears to have emerged from "sleeper" status, into likely day 2 candidate. They've met with Strong, who looks like a fantastic compliment to Michael Carter, the incumbent. 

thats it. I'm out. 

usatsi_14257189.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

A thoughtful, low drama analysis, thank you. I will be coming back after the draft to QC.

I think they have to build around Zach, so don't agree with all the logic here, but well done.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

My bad

But always want to know, how does someone’s mock change from Sauce and London to Wilson and Johnson in a week?  And you know there will be a mock draft 3.2 or 3.3 that will look completely different.  What changes from one week to another? It’s like they’re thinking out loud or just fishing for clicks.  

The more versions they write, the better the chances of getting things right that they can give themselves credit for.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

He’s the top Edge that probably scares me the most. I’d definitely take Thibs or Walker before him. Don’t like the fact that he had to escape Georgia to put up numbers, and then only did that when he was literally often a man amongst boys. 

Greg Cosell seem to address that in another post. Stating most everyone on the Georgia do you line had rotational use Minimizing snaps. If JJ wanted to be on the field more Georgia wasn’t the place to be

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Many Jets fans completely disagree with this analysis, pick and rationale.   The Jets drafted "clean" prospects at non-premium positions  like this for years under Mac (Williams and Adams for example) and look where that landed the team.  I just do not see a Saleh coached team using such premier draft capital on a DB.  In fact, many Jets fans would be shocked and upset - even angry - if Gardner is the pick at 4.  Hutch, Thibs, Walker, Wilson, or Ekwonu would be OK at 4. Trade down (if someone actually wants to trade up). Gardner?  No way.  CB is just not a premium position in the NFL any more and it is less valued in a Saleh defense.  

i don't think that's a fair depiction of Gardner's ability/impact/value. He's a tremendous talent. 

To your point however, if Thibodeaux is there, you don't want passing on that to haunt you. You can't put on positional blinders like that though in the top 10. Draft the talent. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

He’s the top Edge that probably scares me the most. I’d definitely take Thibs or Walker before him. Don’t like the fact that he had to escape Georgia to put up numbers, and then only did that when he was literally often a man amongst boys. 

can't profess to be authority on Walker and Johnson -- but both cause agitation with stat loyalists. So i guess there's something to be said about that... still there's a reason why they're coveted prospects - their film has a lot to like. My only take on Johnson is that he's a natural/instinctual talent at End... not just a pass rusher. I'd label him as a DE. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Daniel Jeremiah has recently suggested Garrett Wilson at 4 and Jermaine Johnson at 10 if he is still there. 

If the Jets don't trade for a certain wide receiver, it seems like a possible scenario.

He also as the Jets picking Tyler Smith as insurance in the second round at OT.

I think taking WR at 4 makes a lot of sense because we also have #10. Ideally I trade out because the Top 10 sucks but WR at 4 guarantees the best WR on the board and then there are only 4 picks we have to fade before we pick again and it is quite possible we still get the EDGE or Gardner at 10 that we would have picked at 4 anyway. QB is very likely from 5-9  as is an OT to Giants and WR to Atlanta so it becomes very likely Gardner or EDGE falls to 10 and we get the #1 receiver.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

Therefore, I am more inclined to believe the pick is an OL because I only see 2 or 3 of the currently projected starters being here in 2 years when this team will really be competing.

eh that 4 has to be a game changing player today not someone to backup current journeymen OL.

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

WR Drake London on paper gives the Jets what they lack - a tall frame who can make a difference both outside and in the redzone.  The Jets however, haven't spent (or shown) a lot of interest. Curious considering they've not been shy this offseason, swinging on cascade of WR FAs/Trade targets  and scheduling visits with Treylon Burks, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave and Jameson Williams.  It's anyone's guess when they'll pull the trigger on a WR, but GMs in Joe's position don't ordinarily meet with 4 or 5 prospects when they'll have their pick of the bunch - suggesting a possible trade up from round 2. On paper a healthy Jameson Williams gives Joe what he covets, though not without some injury/development risk. Garrett Wilson conversely offers more versatility and polish, but without "keeping defensive coordinators up at night" mystique. 

What's the story with Christian Watson?  6-5, 208, and a 9.96 RAS.  Why isn't this the guy we want?

51 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Others can weigh in, personally i think i'd be hard pressed to take him before round 3-4. Athletically gifted, is the reason he's a thing. but he'll be 23 in a few weeks and he still needs developing. Risky coming out of the FCS to take someone that old and that raw... not mentioned he drops the ball quite a bit.. Had more drops than contested catches in college.  

44 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree with Paradis on this one.

He is such a great athlete, playing at FCS level, looks like he has won a lot being a far better athlete than guys on the field against him.  I don't see a polished route runner, and he has a high drop rate.  Those are the two things I want out of a WR -- hands and route running -- and I don't think Watson excels at either.  Huge upside based on the athleticism, but I am not sure that is enough to roll the dice at 35 or 38, much less in R1.

Thanks guys.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Anyone else get the feeling if Hermaine Johnson wasn’t already 36 years old he’d be getting a lot more run as a top 5 pick?

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

Did someone call my name?

image.png

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have to be honest here, this went over my head.  I see I typoed his name but I don’t have a clue what that picture is.

Surprise, surprise.  Harry Potter is banned in Iowa.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Surprise, surprise.  Harry Potter is banned in Iowa.

damn I didn't know what the heck that was either. I know plenty of people that watch/read the books. just not anything that interested me.