Jump to content

hypothetical pick 4 situation


Dcat

Recommended Posts

Why are you doing this to me?

I really don't want an OT at 4, but Ekwonu would clearly be the best player available.

Very tough though - I do like JJ a lot, but would we really take the 4th edge at 4?

I'd be tempted to go JJ, but think the Jets would go Ekwonu.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

It depends on how the WRs are rated.   If you have 3 about the same it’s not a need.  If you think there is a clear WR1, take WR1.  
 

There are lots of EDGES and drafting someone high doesn’t make them great.  JJ II seems like a reach at 4 to me.  

My gut is clearly pointing me to a pick that I couldn't imagine I would take a couple of weeks ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Literally 2 "safe"options. Okwonu or Gardner. People need to realize we might not have a starting caliber OT going into 2023 if we don't get one in the draft.

I can make a strong argument you just pick WR at 4

 

Need to take BAP especially at 4 so if it is one of the OTs or Sauce you do it. We may not be able to optimally address all position needs in this draft at the ideal spots, so the best player has to be the way to go rather than reaching for need i.e if no WR in this draft is ranked higher than like 8 on you big board do not take one at 4. That would be bad.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, long time suffering Jets f said:

Take sauce at 4. Then at 10 two scenarios for me takes shape… if Johnson falls to 10 take him then bundle picks 35&38 and trade back up into the 1st round and take the best WR available. If however Johnson is gone, take either Jameson Williams or Garret Wilson at 10.

that's what I'm thinking.  Also, If Johnson gone at 10, a trade down would work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ekwonu

Elite prospect, great lock room guy.  JD places a very high value on OL.

Becton is coming off two injury riddled seasons and has major longevity concerns.  Fant had a great year at LT, but he's a one year wonder and going into the final year of his contract.  The depth behind these two players is trash.

I'm really not sure why Jets fans are so against taking an OT high in the draft.  Objectively, it makes alot of sense considering the uncertainty of the position and its status after the 2022 season.

Move Becton to RT, let Fant and Ekwonu battle it out at LT in 2022 with Ekwonu ready to take over in 2023 after Fant walks in free agency.  If (or should I say when?) one of the starters at OT goes down due to injury this season, the Jets have the depth and talent to not miss a beat.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there are A LOT of people on here (including me) that prefer JJ over Walker. I prefer Thib. over JJ but its close and I'm sure there are a lot of Jets fans who don't like Thib. AT ALL. And there's definitely detractors from Hutch, he's far from a sure thing. So I think you go with JJ. You get one of the last premier edge rushers in this draft. Its JJ, Karl and Ojabo (injury issue to worry about). I don't think you can wait around. Sauce and Ekwonu are fantastic prospects. But so is JJ. Just take him and see who slides to 10. 

I think in THIS scenario, if you take JJ, at least ONE QB will go before 10, Sauce, Ekwonu, Neal, and either Karl., Hamilton or Stingley. Maybe the Falcons take a WR. But either way, the Jets will have a ton of great option at 10. Lloyd, a top WR- London/Wilson, Cross (if they choose to go OT), maybe Stingley maybe Hamilton, etc. But the critical EDGE position is addressed before the run on Edge is completed.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they stay at 4 and Ekwonu is there, I believe they will take him, especially if there are no trade back options. I want JJ badly, but think that he will be gone by 10 if the 3 EDGE's are off the board by 4.

Opposite scenario is they take JJ, and for sure Ekwonu will be gone by 10, but that's not as bad because I think they value Trevor Penning also. Not saying they would take him that high, but you never know. If they take JJ at 4. Sauce, Ekwonu and probably Cross will be gone, so the only other option is WR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Literally 2 "safe"options. Okwonu or Gardner. People need to realize we might not have a starting caliber OT going into 2023 if we don't get one in the draft.

I can make a strong argument you just pick WR at 4

 

Don’t know if the OT who gets a lot of love for his work in the run game but has questions about his technique in pass protection is “safe” for a team with a young QB. If anything Cross is the “safe” tackle in this class IMO.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Ekwonu

Elite prospect, great lock room guy.  JD places a very high value on OL.

Becton is coming off two injury riddled seasons and has major longevity concerns.  Fant had a great year at LT, but he's a one year wonder and going into the final year of his contract.  The depth behind these two players is trash.

I'm really not sure why Jets fans are so against taking an OT high in the draft.  Objectively, it makes alot of sense considering the uncertainty of the position and its status after the 2022 season.

Move Becton to RT, let Fant and Ekwonu battle it out at LT in 2022 with Ekwonu ready to take over in 2023 after Fant walks in free agency.  If (or should I say when?) one of the starters at OT goes down due to injury this season, the Jets have the depth and talent to not miss a beat.

I have no issue with this except for two things you have to consider.

1. Ekwonu may not be an NFL LT. He was projected as a dominant NFL Guard who can play T. I don't know if you want him playing LT, or if you want a healthy Becton to move to RT so Ekwonu can play LT. And yes, I know he played all over in college. But he is not a pure LT and it may ot translate. He does project better as a G- nothing wrong with that. If the Jest truly want a LT, they may look at Cross at pick 10?    

2. Taking Ekwonu, especially in this scenario, the Jets miss out on taking an impact Edge rusher. And while Hutch, Thib and Walker are off the board, I think JJ is very much an impact edge rusher. With all 3 top edges going 1,2,3- theres a very high chance JJ will not be on the board by pick 10. And an argument can be made that with Lawson coming off injury without playing a single snap in the regular season, the Jets are in more need of Edge help than OT help. Both for the future and for 2022.  

Again, LOVE Ekwonu, may not be the right pick, especially in this scenario. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Literally 2 "safe"options. Okwonu or Gardner. People need to realize we might not have a starting caliber OT going into 2023 if we don't get one in the draft.

I can make a strong argument you just pick WR at 4

 

This.

I keep saying it, but this is reality. The top OTs in this draft are exactly what you hope for / it would be a huge miss not to take one, considering we have 2 picks to make.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This isn’t necessarily true or a given.

Edge is way deeper in this class, and we have another pick 6 spots later. LOL

The question is, would the jets love wilson enough to reach for him and then take their favorite remaining edge at 10?  Or will they take their favorite edge at 4 and then see what wrs are available at 10?  I can easily see them going edge and then gardener at 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This isn’t necessarily true or a given.

Edge is way deeper in this class, and we have another pick 6 spots later. LOL

I completely agree. But I'm talking about an impact edge. You can't get the same caliber of player in Rd. 2. Or at least its much more of a gamble and/or you are getting a raw or limited player. For example I like Mafe and Ebiketie and they could be there in Rd. 2 but they are both developmental prospects- more so than JJ who still has room to grow, even at 23yrs, but who already has the skillset to play LB, DE, rush the passer with a variety of moves and set the edge. I really like Nik Bonitto but I think at 6'3, 248 he is limited for this defense- probably a better fit in a 3-4 as a pass rush LB?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Hutch, Walker, KT go 1,2,3.

No trade down partners.

Who do you take?

Sauce, JJ, WR, OT? Again, no trade down option. And no safety please.  It's tough to digest taking OT there.  It really is.  

Kind of depends on how contract extension talks with Fant are progressing.  If they are going to have to pay big money to keep him, Id draft the tackle if he was BPA.  Otherwise Id go WR unless they really love the 4th best edge rusher more than the first WR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I completely agree. But I'm talking about an impact edge. You can't get the same caliber of player in Rd. 2. Or at least its much more of a gamble and/or you are getting a raw or limited player. For example I like Mafe and Ebiketie and they could be there in Rd. 2 but they are both developmental prospects- more so than JJ who still has room to grow, even at 23yrs, but who already has the skillset to play LB, DE, rush the passer with a variety of moves and set the edge. I really like Nik Bonitto but I think at 6'3, 248 he is limited for this defense- probably a better fit in a 3-4 as a pass rush LB?   

We "think" you can't. The league proves year after year, that the best players are pepper throughout the draft.

I'm just not that worried about it.

Take Icky and WR in round 1. Take Mafe and Ojabo in round 2. Use the rest of the draft on LB, CB, S and whatever.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The question is, would the jets love wilson enough to reach for him and then take their favorite remaining edge at 10?  Or will they take their favorite edge at 4 and then see what wrs are available at 10?  I can easily see them going edge and then gardener at 10.

I don't know why this is a question..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's gotta be Ekwonu or JJ II in this scenario.

The receivers trumpeted as first rounders this year are about as impressive as those likely to be available in round 2.

Give me Pickens, Watson or Pierce at the top of round 2.

I wouldn't be mad at Sauce if it fell like this, he's clearly an excellent prospect, I just don't like taking a corner that high. 

If it's Kyle Hamilton, we storm the Bastille. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Hutch, Walker, KT go 1,2,3.

No trade down partners.

Who do you take?

Sauce, JJ, WR, OT? Again, no trade down option. And no safety please.  It's tough to digest taking OT there.  It really is.  

One can argue the Jets have significant needs at multiple positions this season or next at Edge CB WR OL take the highest rated player at edge and CB at 4 and then highest rated player at WR and OL at 10 ??‍♂️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...