For those who think Jeremiah has any insight into Joe D’s thinking…

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I really do believe the fan base is underestimating how much better we are...

The team is lightyears ahead of where we were last year ...

• Just getting back the ridiculous amount of  injured players alone is a massive upgrade.
  • ZW year two is a massive upgrade - put aside wether you believe he's our future FQB - but at worst he should still be a heck of a lot better.
  • Two biggest, glaring weaknesses on O were filled with talented players in G and TE
  • The Defensive backfield added a #1 CB and a legit safety - two massive weaknesses from last year.
  • The four picks in the top 38 will all be contributors
  • There's still plenty of cap space and still plenty of quality FA's (at positions of need) if Joe doesn't find what he needs in the draft 

The team has far less holes than people think - we have solid NFL starters at just about every position now (we haven't been able to say that for a long time)

IMO, we still need a LB, #1 WR, #1 Edge, another quality RB and a safety (which should all be filled in the draft or remaining FA) - and this team doesn't really have any "holes". Can obviously always upgrade ---- but it's certainly a middle of the pack team at this point.  Expecting 8 to 9 wins is entirely reasonable.

Amen, amen, amen!  Such a loser’s mentality from some who believe or tack on to what they read from these hack analysts and insiders without tracking their past success.  

The Jets can now turn this around pretty quickly after 2.5 years into JD’s tenure. JD missed bad in his first draft, has killed it in trades, might have nailed his 2nd draft, did very well this free agency in getting proven NFL caliber starters with solid grades, has managed contracts shrewdly thus giving him some ammo post draft, has a couple big names coming back from last year’s too early to judge free agency AND has an insane amount of draft capital this year.

Yes, the Jets absolutely might suck once again.  But if Wilson takes a big step, then who the F knows.  That’s why offense this draft is so critical.  Gotta do everything we can to develop and support a franchise QB.

The Jets FINALLY would have starting caliber starters at every position on the Offense and can enhance this by grabbing a potential #1 WR to compliment Moore, Davis & Berrios, a #2 RB and OLine depth.  

The additions in the secondary were huge (go look at the tapes and the data).  Now JD must get an Edge to compliment JFM & Q on the inside and Lawson on the outside (who most have written off as if he has no chance in coming back).  Jets also have a pair of quality backup edges in Huff & Martin.  All should help solidify MOST of the pass defense.

IMO, everything else defensively needs to be geared toward stopping the run and covering TEs and RBs.  We were historically bad in these areas and that’s why LBs and a run stopping DT have to be solved now (draft, remaining FA).  I think we are all done waiting and screw setting ourselves up for the future.  The winner’s mentality after nearly 3 years is NOW.

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:30 AM, maury77 said:

Yes, I'm a known Douglas pessimist, but honest question to all of you: are you really willing to give Douglas another season if the Jets go 6-11? That would be 19 wins over his 4 seasons, which comes out to an average of less than 5 wins a season. That's pretty pathetic. 

As a broad stroke, if we only win six games you’d expect Douglas to be in trouble yes. 

it does depend on the circumstances - if we look and seem like we’re making progress, we lose close games, generally compete/beat some good teams and Wilson (and other picks, but mainly Wilson) looks good then he’ll have likely earned an extra year to build on it.

Record is obviously all that matters, but the context of it is revealing too. We won 7 games under Gase Year 1, but that was a lot of circumstance of beating bad teams at lucky times. In reality, you could tell by performance just how bad we were and the results papered over the cracks. 

So 6 wins doesn’t necessarily mean he’s sacked, if there are plenty of positives. But if we regularly get beat by double digits again, and we eke out six games against very bad teams or teams with QB/injury issues then Douglas is in trouble. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, morny said:

As a broad stroke, if we only win six games you’d expect Douglas to be in trouble yes. 

it does depend on the circumstances - if we look and seem like we’re making progress, we lose close games, generally compete/beat some good teams and Wilson (and other picks, but mainly Wilson) looks good then he’ll have likely earned an extra year to build on it.

Record is obviously all that matters, but the context of it is revealing too. We won 7 games under Gase Year 1, but that was a lot of circumstance of beating bad teams at lucky times. In reality, you could tell by performance just how bad we were and the results papered over the cracks. 

So 6 wins doesn’t necessarily mean he’s sacked, if there are plenty of positives. But if we regularly get beat by double digits again, and we eke out six games against very bad teams or teams with QB/injury issues then Douglas is in trouble. 

Agree. Context matters a lot. I saw a projection that the Jets will have the second most difficult schedule in the league next year. Are they competitive with/winning a couple games against really good teams, do Wilson and the defense make significant and tangible progress, does the team’s season long scoring differential improve considerably. I think scoring differential is probably a better indicator of how good the team is than record anyway.

I’ll take a 6-11 team that lost some close games to good teams, was consistently in games, with Wilson having a good season over a 8-9 team with some fluky wins that got blown out a bunch, had a worse scoring differential, and saw a regression from Wilson.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

Agree. Context matters a lot. I saw a projection that the Jets will have the second most difficult schedule in the league next year. Are they competitive with/winning a couple games against really good teams, do Wilson and the defense make significant and tangible progress, does the team’s season long scoring differential improve considerably. I think scoring differential is probably a better indicator of how good the team is than record anyway.

I’ll take a 6-11 team that lost some close games to good teams, was consistently in games, with Wilson having a good season over a 8-9 team with some fluky wins that got blown out a bunch, had a worse scoring differential, and saw a regression from Wilson.

I just don't want a repeat of what I had witnessed first hand in Denver last year.  Complete and utter disgrace.

The Jets had no business playing that day and not a single player or coach did their job.  And there was a few of those games last year.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, peebag said:

I just don't want a repeat of what I had witnessed first hand in Denver last year.  Complete and utter disgrace.

The Jets had no business playing that day and not a single player or coach did their job.  And there was a few of those games last year.

Agree. Not like the Broncos were that good either. If there are more games like the Bucs game last year - against a team the caliber of the Bucs - it's a very different feel than games like that one, the two Pats games, even the Colts game that wasn't as close as the final score indicated, the first Bills game was brutal. Not all wins and losses are equal. At least the wins against the Titans and Bengals were wins against solid teams, better than if they'd beaten the Falcons and the Panthers

Jets were -60 against the Pats last year, -45 against the Bills, and -14 against the Dolphins. That's -119 in six divisional games and they were -75 I think in the other eleven games. They start playing competitively in the division and eliminate some of the other clunkers and it's a very different season to watch, regardless of record. 

I want wins, don't get me wrong. But at this point I'd rather a team that's consistently competitive than a team that's winning squeakers in some games, getting blown out in others, and win a couple more games but misses the playoffs - a-la the 7-9 Gase season.

• Upvote 2

A couple of interesting observations from Jeremiah on PMT this morning.

1. They asked him directly about Thibodeaux not loving football (Jeremiah has had Thibodeaux ranked around 10 on his board the whole process. Jeremiah said that he went back and watched the conference championship game against Utah and counted seven (7) loafs in that game alone. Liked the talent, but thinks he’s a dog.

2. When asked which team will be the most active, he immediately answered the Jets, because of where their picks are positioned, and specifically mentioned moving back into round one for Linderbaum.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

1. They asked him directly about Thibodeaux not loving football (Jeremiah has had Thibodeaux ranked around 10 on his board the whole process. Jeremiah said that he went back and watched the conference championship game against Utah and counted seven (7) loafs in that game alone. Liked the talent, but thinks he’s a dog.

2. When asked which team will be the most active, he immediately answered the Jets, because of where their picks are positioned, and specifically mentioned moving back into round one for Linderbaum.

If the Jets land Deebo, moving back would be my plan A

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can't be leading the league in loafs. PASS. 

Really though, if there's any question of that type of thing, just look to the next guy. They can't afford to miss right now. Take JJ or whoever. They have enough of loafing problems with Becton...let's find some guys who actually want to play huh?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Along those lines, David Shaw was on Sirius last week with Bruce Murray and Rich Gannon. Side note, Shaw was the QB coach for the Raiders when Gannon was there. They asked him about 2 guys specifically, Thibs and London. On Thibs, said there is merit on both sides of the argument on him. Thinks he could lead the league in sacks his rookie year, but also doesn't go all out every play. Said that whoever coaches him at the next level HAS to get him to realize that you have to play all out every play, because so many NFL games are decided on 2-3 plays, and you never know which ones they will be. On London, really likes him, and made the point that he was an ex hoops player, and basically has perfected "boxing" out DB's on contested balls, especially in the red zone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Along those lines, David Shaw was on Sirius last week with Bruce Murray and Rich Gannon. Side note, Shaw was the QB coach for the Raiders when Gannon was there. They asked him about 2 guys specifically, Thibs and London. On Thibs, said there is merit on both sides of the argument on him. Thinks he could lead the league in sacks his rookie year, but also doesn't go all out every play. Said that whoever coaches him at the next level HAS to get him to realize that you have to play all out every play, because so many NFL games are decided on 2-3 plays, and you never know which ones they will be. On London, really likes him, and made the point that he was an ex hoops player, and basically has perfected "boxing" out DB's on contested balls, especially in the red zone.

Mannnn, either you want it or you don't. You can't coach that. He's not gonna join a team and then realize "oh hey, I need to play harder more often". 

• Upvote 1

4. JERMAINE JOHNSON, Florida State (6-4 ½, 260, 4.62, 1): Subpar academics sent him to a junior college for two years. Started four of 24 games at Georgia in 2019-’20 before transferring for a final season in Tallahassee. “Started the year playing his way into third-round conversation and at the end played his way possibly into the first,” one scout said. “Not as explosive or as athletic as (Joe) Tryon or (Azeez) Ojulari, who played over him at Georgia. He can power off the edge. He’s got get-off and flattens down on the quarterback. He can create pressure looping outside when aligned as a 3-technique in sub packages. He can improve his edge rush by developing a counter move once engaged and using his hands better. Best as a 3-4 outside backer.” Several scouts mentioned his father, someone they regard as overly involved and an impediment. “He is a low-confidence know-it-all that’s been pushed by his dad his entire life,” one scout after an interview with Johnson. “I see him as a fake tough guy.” Finished with 106 tackles (26 for loss), 18 ½ sacks (12 at FSU), three forced fumbles and four passes defensed. Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 34. “The surprising thing was he was very good against the run,” a third scout said. “I almost thought he played the run better than he rushed the passer. He’s got exceptional hands and hand usage at the point of attack. That’s what grabbed me the most about him. The sacks came off hustle. He had some where he earned them going around the guy. He’s not a natural bend-the-corner right end but he’s good enough to do it … they called him ‘Hollywood.’ He’s a little arrogant. He’s probably hard to like at times. But he backed up everything he said he wanted to do, which is rare in this era.” From Eden Prairie, Minn.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I could see Linderbaum being an Elijah Moore type situation where the Jets have him really high up on the board and think about moving up to get him but end up just landing him at the top of the second.

A team needs to need a center and think he’s a scheme fit (likely needs to run a lot of zone) and like Linderbaum which includes not liking the short arms. He’s going to be really high in some boards and really low on others. I could see him sliding to the top of the second and then just it’s a comp with McGovern and if he’s an upgrade you try to trade McGovern or just move on.