2022 season expectations before the draft? What would make you mad or happy?

What expectations are you forming going into the draft? 

Some of mine:

I expect 6-8 wins.   If the rebuild is scheduled to be done next season, it should look like it this year.  

<7 wins is a disappointment to me.  

I don’t want to see more than 3 games where the defense looks completely overmatched in all areas of the game.  Generic post on this topic because they looked good at times and like a dumpster fire for a long stretch of the season.    

Defense needs to look better and compete.  

Zach needs to continue to improve and look comfortable on most plays in a game.  He’ll be a top QB if (and I strongly believe when) Zach shows he’s processing the NFL game speed.  

At a minimum Zach needs to meet the eye test of being a top half QB by the end this season.  

Watching the all throws videos I’m fairly sure that the receivers ran lots of routes a little out spec, and the “booth” offense magnifies it.  (I don’t like that wrinkle btw)  The drops were embarrassing.   They couldn’t stay on the field.

WRs need to know their routes, get open, and catch the ball.  Keep at least 2 of the top 4 WRs playing every game.  

The least important expectation as long as it’s addressed next offseason: 
I expect the OL/ DL and TEs to be good.   I expect every other position group to look no worse than bottom 1/4 of the NFL.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

What expectations are you forming going into the draft? 

Some of mine:

I expect 6-8 wins.   If the rebuild is scheduled to be done next season, it should look like it this year.  

<7 wins is a disappointment to me.  

I don’t want to see more than 3 games where the defense looks completely overmatched in all areas of the game.  Generic post on this topic because they looked good at times and like a dumpster fire for a long stretch of the season.    

Defense needs to look better and compete.  

Zach needs to continue to improve and look comfortable on most plays in a game.  He’ll be a top QB if (and I strongly believe when) Zach shows he’s processing the NFL game speed.  

At a minimum Zach needs to meet the eye test of being a top half QB by the end this season.  

Watching the all throws videos I’m fairly sure that the receivers ran lots of routes a little out spec, and the “booth” offense magnifies it.  (I don’t like that wrinkle btw)  The drops were embarrassing.   They couldn’t stay on the field.

WRs need to know their routes, get open, and catch the ball.  Keep at least 2 of the top 4 WRs playing every game.  

The least important expectation as long as it’s addressed next offseason: 
I expect the OL/ DL and TEs to be good.   I expect every other position group to look no worse than bottom 1/4 of the NFL.  

Win total should not how you base your feelings on the Jets in 2022.   If you’re  looking for more than 7 wins- you’re going to be disappointed big time.    It’s all about Zach Wilson growing into franchise Qb.   You could go 1-16 , if you see that progress than finally you could start to feel good about this franchise.     Want see your team competitive in every game this year .     Nothings more demoralizing than seeing a divisional rival having their way with you feeling  like a cheap hooker.         You have to learn to walk, before you can run.

less than 9-8 will be a disappointment.  like others have said, this is douglas' thrid year as gm and teams can turn things around pdq these days.  i'm thinking 11-6 is obtainable.  i don't go for the whole idea that records carry over from year to year.  right now the east is pretty open except for buffalo and there just aren't many teams that can win simply by showing up.  and it's about time the ball starts bouncing the jets way.

1. Zach needs to improve and look like a legit starting QB that dismisses any talk of looking for a new QB next offseason.

2. The team needs to stay healthy

3. Defense needs to be reasonably respectable but also show some signs of what Saleh wants them to be, that attacking D that forces some turnovers.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

less than 9-8 will be a disappointment.  like others have said, this is douglas' thrid year as gm and teams can turn things around pdq these days.  i'm thinking 11-6 is obtainable.  i don't go for the whole idea that records carry over from year to year.  right now the east is pretty open except for buffalo and there just aren't many teams that can win simply by showing up.  and it's about time the ball starts bouncing the jets way.

To quote Wesley from The Princess Bride - "Get used to disappointment."  It is highly unlikely the Jets win 9 games, let alone 11.  You need to be realistic.  6+ wins is progress, but progress for this team can't be measured in wins and losses yet, particularly with how competitive the AFC will be next season.  The eye test is more important next season. They need to be competitive in most games and the offense and defense need to be better. But, unless the team falls on its face again, replacing the GM and coach do nothing positive.  If the team is showing progress, stay the course.  Changing GMs and hiring a new coach with a new scheme is a sure fire way to derail Wilson and the rebuild.  

Jets need to win more games than they lose. Moral victories and signs of improvement aren’t enough for me. I sat through 1996 and 1997, when the Jets went 1-15. Parcels improved 8 games in 1 season and was in the Championship game the next. There are other examples of teams turning it around quickly and it shouldn’t take until 2023 for the expectation to be a .500 record.

Offense to look threatening. Not just competent but looking like it could be potent. Able to take strikes downfield as well as nickel and dime teams to death when needed. Sustained drives, quick drives (that lead to points). Cutting down on turnovers. Win because of our QB, rather than in spite of him.

Defense just needs to look competent initially. Stop getting run all over. Get things like sacks and turnovers like other teams do. Get off the field once in a while. Make the opposition actually work for their points for a change - none of the three play 75 yard scoring drives we saw too often last year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Win total should not how you base your feelings on the Jets in 2022.   If you’re  looking for more than 7 wins- you’re going to be disappointed big time.    It’s all about Zach Wilson growing into franchise Qb.   You could go 1-16 , if you see that progress than finally you could start to feel good about this franchise.     Want see your team competitive in every game this year .     Nothings more demoralizing than seeing a divisional rival having their way with you feeling  like a cheap hooker.         You have to learn to walk, before you can run.

That was last season.  They need to take a step next season that makes all of us realistically hope for the playoffs the season after.  At a minimum.  Teams make big jumps every season.  It’s not crazy to think the Jets could be that team next season, but that’s not expected 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

It’s not mine. I think @Gastineau Lives started it watching the Mac Jones walk. Said he walked like his Aunt Berniece. I commandeered it in the name of JetNation! 

I like all the QBs from last seasons class.   Mac seems like a nice kid too.  But I want to see him fail miserably and lose his job.

Is that wrong? 

I legitimately do not have expectations anymore other  than sit and watch games and be entertained.  I refuse to get my sack in a twist about Wins and losses anymore.  I will get frustrated at times.  I will likely get down on players occasionally.  But ultimately I just want to watch and for it to be fun.  As a fan, saying if they don’t win X games or I want Z fired just doesn’t do anything for me.

12 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

As a former cheap hooker not sure I appreciate your tone.