Jets’ Denzel Mims taps trainer to get ‘bigger, leaner’ after frustrating season

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Any one who says he lacks talent is off base.  It's the drive/commitment that needs to show up this year...

He doesn't try, he literally refuses to study and out the work in.   Maybe he is realizing, "it's now or never."

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I for one was as BIG a Mims fan as thier could be.

Indeed I truly felt that Mims was the steal of the draft, and said so...and hence I could not IMAGINE him playing as he has. 

And so while I would love for Mims to turn it around and I am forever rooting for him, I cannot pretend that Mims has not been a disappointment for me so far.

Here is to HOPING & I am PRAYING for the turnaround of his career because I truly believed that Mims could be special....

Let's Go Jets!

Charlie.    Right with you on this one. I truly believed that will all the talent Mims displayed in college and the physical similarities he has Mims had the potential to be the second coming of Al Toon.
Still hoping that he turns his career around as I don’t recall reading or hearing anything about him being lazy or not working hard (just that he couldn’t learn playbook) but at this point not confident at all. Unfortunately it seems he is Just another name in the long long list of NYJ 2nd round busts 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

My 2 cents worth of opinion on Mims is that he is not a good route runner and is awful at getting separation.  However I think he does have the potential to become an NFL WR if he can get his head out of his a$$.  This pre-season is his last chance with this team.      

It's because he probably was never asked to do those things at Baylor, or in his first year under Gase. He was a beast though in college, and his first year showed promise. He caught most everything. Then came the misfortunes, and he didn't handle it well. If he truly learns the playbook and comes to camp and catches everything thrown his way, I believe he will make this team. If not, then he's either traded or out of a job.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'm rooting hard for this kid. I had food poisoning when I was Mims' age and let me tell you, it is a horrible, horrible feeling that is constant for two weeks and hangs on for close to a month. I'm not talking about a little stomach thing from eating Taco Bell and getting a tummy ache, I'm talking full blown food poisoning where you hurt all day and all night. I can't imagine being able to even be able to concentrate enough to study a playbook or watch film or whatever these guys do when they can't physically play. Then on top of it all the guy comes back and gets covid. (Which thank God I didn't get). How much weight do you think this guy kept on his body ? How strong do you think he felt after such a weakening sickness ? How far do you think he fell behind when the CS was installing stuff in the offense every week ? I don't blame all the problem we struggled with last year on a kid that was too weak to play. we had much more serious problems than him. Yet, we always need a scapegoat around here and Mims and Big Ticket seem to be the kicking cans.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If Mims figures things out it will be like acquiring a player in the offseason. He was a big zero in 2021. The same with Becton. 

Agreed.

It's like having an extra first and second round pick this year if they can both play like they're capable of. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy!!!!!

This is like the “chad pennington taking karate to improve his arm strength” articles from years past.

I know no one likes excuses and we are always skeptical of these off season articles but his first year was the Covid shortened off season and last year he lost 20 pounds due to illness right before the season. He has size, speed, and good hands. I wouldn’t give up on him yet. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

I'm rooting hard for this kid. I had food poisoning when I was Mims' age and let me tell you, it is a horrible, horrible feeling that is constant for two weeks and hangs on for close to a month. I'm not talking about a little stomach thing from eating Taco Bell and getting a tummy ache, I'm talking full blown food poisoning where you hurt all day and all night. I can't imagine being able to even be able to concentrate enough to study a playbook or watch film or whatever these guys do when they can't physically play. Then on top of it all the guy comes back and gets covid. (Which thank God I didn't get). How much weight do you think this guy kept on his body ? How strong do you think he felt after such a weakening sickness ? How far do you think he fell behind when the CS was installing stuff in the offense every week ? I don't blame all the problem we struggled with last year on a kid that was too weak to play. we had much more serious problems than him. Yet, we always need a scapegoat around here and Mims and Big Ticket seem to be the kicking cans.

Don’t want to blame his lack of improvement solely on the illness but Wow didn’t realize food poisoning was THAT debilitating. Just thought after a few days it clears up and you’re good to go. 
Maybe he can turn his career around cause he does have a looooad of talent. One can only hope that he does reach his potential and then draft a WR in the second round (Dotson or Watson) the WR room on the team instead of being a weakness goes to being a top unit. 
It’s about time the football gods smiles upon us instead of constantly kicking us in the juevos 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

He definitely has the tools to be successful, and the Jets desperately need him to put it together for this year. Man, if he starts producing it will be fun as hell. Imagine what happens if he and Becton both have good years? People here would sh*t themselves haha

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

It was a tough year for him for sure.   Hopefully he is comes back feeling better physically and mentally and can contribute.   Seems like a good kid.  I do think it’s curious that Adam “coaching offense where football is going” gase thought his game suited his mastermind scheme but he is somehow unable to digest the dumbed down playbook of the mere mortal we now employ as our OC.   Hopefully a bit of stability can minimize the instances where we keep scrapping prospects because they no longer fit the attributes desired in yet another new regime change.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

He definitely has the tools to be successful, and the Jets desperately need him to put it together for this year. Man, if he starts producing it will be fun as hell. Imagine what happens if he and Becton both have good years? People here would sh*t themselves haha

Definitely big years for both of them. If (REAL BIG IF THOUGH) they both play to their potential this offense can be one of the best in the NFL as I think Zach has the talent and drive to become a top tier QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, CSNY said:

Definitely big years for both of them. If (REAL BIG IF THOUGH) they both play to their potential this offense can be one of the best in the NFL as I think Zach has the talent and drive to become a top tier QB. 

For real. They both have potential and are both huge question marks right now but I'm not writing them off just yet. They have this season to prove themselves and I am hoping for the best, but we're the Jets: if it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

It's because he probably was never asked to do those things at Baylor, or in his first year under Gase. He was a beast though in college, and his first year showed promise. He caught most everything. Then came the misfortunes, and he didn't handle it well. If he truly learns the playbook and comes to camp and catches everything thrown his way, I believe he will make this team. If not, then he's either traded or out of a job.

We’ll see what the team does at the position between now and opening day. I’m in full agreement that his issues are mental. I’d try to use him for what he’s good at now, as long as he knows where to line up and can remember the snap count. Let him get some real work while learning the whole craft. They seemed focused on him knowing every WR assignment, and maybe that’s just not the best way to get the most out of this particular player. I suspect the Jets will carry six WRs, though, and that he’ll be one of them. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slats said:

We’ll see what the team does at the position between now and opening day. I’m in full agreement that his issues are mental. I’d try to use him for what he’s good at now, as long as he knows where to line up and can remember the snap count. Let him get some real work while learning the whole craft. They seemed focused on him knowing every WR assignment, and maybe that’s just not the best way to get the most out of this particular player. I suspect the Jets will carry six WRs, though, and that he’ll be one of them. 

With mims last year it seemed the whole physical and mental aspects spun out of control creating a perfect storm.  He never caught up physically, it seemed to psych him out, he was not mentally invested in the new playbook, he isn’t focused, not lining up correctly, dropping passes, etc.  the best thing that happened is that the season ended.  At least it seems he’s trying to get in the right physical shape to run all the routes he’ll be asked to run.

• Upvote 3

Would be huge for us if the light goes on for him and can become a contributor in 2022, not banking on it and operating on the basis he’ll be off the team before long but it’s only year 3 and he’s had some challenges to overcome…..plenty WR have taken a couple of years to develop and often it’s about understanding the offense and their role within it, that can be taught and developed ….unlike insane athleticism 

ThoseBaylor WR haven’t exactly lit up the league so clearly that programme isn’t sending NFL ready prospects to the league and we knew that was the biggest question with him coming out and he dropped to the 2nd for a reason

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If Mims figures things out it will be like acquiring a player in the offseason. He was a big zero in 2021. The same with Becton. 

This is an amazing point honestly, with both not contributing at all last year if they come back and contribute be almost like couple compensatory picks, 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I agree with the posters who are thinking it might be the mental side of things that is the biggest issue.

I hope Mims becomes a Jerry Rice but I fear that he is the Vince Young of wide receivers. 

Jerry rice vs the Vince Young of WRs is quite the disparity lmao, I’d settle for somewhere in the middle

• Upvote 1

If only this guy could put it together. He wouldn't need to be all pro this year; just good enough to help balance the offense, and show he belongs on the field going forward. He's shown glimpses of big play ability, and he has the physical 'measurables'. Just study the play book, find a WR skills guy, get your mind right, and get better at being a WR.

Endless Potential GIF by America's Got TalentJenny Holzer Potential Counts For Nothing Until Its Realized GIF

15 hours ago, David Harris said:

It’s the brains. It’s an overused term but this guy was an absolute liability every time he was on the field last year. Dumb ass penalties, literally 2 negative plays out of every 3 he was on the field some games.  Unfortunately I think its 90/10 bust and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s traded for a 6th round pick. 

We’re going to draft a WR and Mims doesn’t play special teams. So he’ll be #5 behind rookie, Davis, Moore, Berrios. Those guys are barely hanging on, need to play ST or have a niche.  

Pretty low Wonderlic score.  Might have a learning disability?  There are techniques that help people overcome that.  It wouldn't shock me to see him get some help on another team and do very well.  The Jets coaching staff is pretty inexperienced and were trying to impliment systems.  They might be really bad at helping young players develop.   I suspect it was a frustrating feedback loop between the coaches and Mims.  

Maybe our coaching staff will be more focused on player development and less focused on installing their system this year?  

15 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I agree with the posters who are thinking it might be the mental side of things that is the biggest issue.

I hope Mims becomes a Jerry Rice but I fear that he is the Vince Young of wide receivers. 

Drops, running the wrong routes, not getting open and penalties probably helped the idea he sucks too. 

• Upvote 1