Jets still looking at veteran WR trade market; May not like Draft’s top prospects

there's some good logic in going after a top vet receiver as opposed to a top draft pick.  apparently the receivers in this draft are so-so.  the issue becomes one about signing or trading for a guy who isn't going to become a prima donna like so many receivers seem to be.  it's going to be tough to find a guy that wants the ball,  works hard to get the ball and blocks on every play.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

This is basically what I have been saying. All of them would have been second round picks last season. I'm not even sure they are better than Moore. 

I mostly agree. The only guy I think would be ranked above Moore is Williams if it weren't for his ACL injury. But he does have the injury. So Moore in this draft is likely WR1.

It’s unfortunate this will essentially be a redshirt for Williams. He’ll likely be back for the start of the season. But that first year back from an acl injury always seems to be subpar. Add to that him being a rookie. I wont expect much from him year 1.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

36D2272D-7CEC-47D0-BCD2-4AE80538C3A9.thumb.jpeg.443ee999a6f33537e6002c2956910d1d.jpeg

The whole premise of this is ridiculous to me. DK and AJ weren’t top tier either based on their draft status. I’d take either of them above all 3 wrs listed above aside chase. 

you don’t know how these kids will respond to the nfl. Silly to think people who watch from the outside know better. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

The whole premise of this is ridiculous to me. DK and AJ weren’t top tier either based on their draft status. I’d take either of them above all 3 wrs listed above aside chase. 

you don’t know how these kids will respond to the nfl. Silly to think people who watch from the outside know better. 

On point!

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Is football.just getting watered down with less talent .. why is this year so weak ??

I am not saying that this is the answer, but I have always wondered what impact the pandemic would have on college kids looking to make the next step.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Is football.just getting watered down with less talent .. why is this year so weak ??

Maybe more and more kids are declaring early than just a few in previous years/decades?

I can't blame them since the chance to become a millionaire is appealing. But it doesn't occur to them that at the pro level, chances are high that they will be getting cut from a football team for the first time in their lives. Certainly most agents and hanger-ons won't tell them that up front. Having another year to mature physically and mentally would increase their odds against pro competition in training camps. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am not saying that this is the answer, but I have always wondered what impact the pandemic would have on college kids looking to make the next step.

I think the draft is perceived as weak because there aren’t the big time quarterback prospects, and there aren’t any big-time quarterback prospects because most of them lost a full year of development and game action. 

• Upvote 2

first round receivers have a massive bust rate and the Jets need a sure thing in order to help Wilson, which is the do-or-die motif of this season. The problem is that the Jets can’t lure any high-end receiving talent because they don’t want to play with Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

there's some good logic in going after a top vet receiver as opposed to a top draft pick.  apparently the receivers in this draft are so-so.  the issue becomes one about signing or trading for a guy who isn't going to become a prima donna like so many receivers seem to be.  it's going to be tough to find a guy that wants the ball,  works hard to get the ball and blocks on every play.

We’re in no position to waste picks on a trade for a WR or take one with either our two 1st rounders. We are nowhere near being a good football team. We need quality draft prospects. Period.  This defense is brutal and desperately needs elite defensive playmakers right now. Sauce and JJ would be outstanding additions to this defense. You can’t draft everybody. We have 4 top picks. Take the best players available and stick them into the spots that we need - edge, cb, lb. Then in round 2, perhaps grab a WR.  Some positions are just going to have to wait. Sauce is considered a potential lock down corner. I’d even settle for Stingley at 10. Thibs at 4 and Stingley at 10 or Sauce at 4 and JJ at 10. However it plays out, we can add 3 elite defensive players with 3 of our 4 top picks. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

first round receivers have a massive bust rate and the Jets need a sure thing in order to help Wilson, which is the do-or-die motif of this season. The problem is that the Jets can’t lure any high-end receiving talent because they don’t want to play with Zach Wilson. 

There have been exceptions to this rule in recent years, but I think this class presents a regression to the mean.  

But as you say, JD needs to get ZW receivers, and he is not confident that the draft at 4 or 10 provides good value for that.   JD is all about draft value, which is great if you have 10 years to build a team, but less great if you are desperate to improve the team now.   He is in a tough spot, and the easiest answer is to trade from DK, but he scorched that earth so badly that the only answer to that is to overpay to the Seahawks as much as they overpaid for Jamal to the Jets.  Who wants to do that?  

JD's best face saving move here is a tradedown to around 15 or so and take the best WR available there.  People will be less upset if he busts.  Burks would feel good between 15-25.  

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

And we wonder why Denzel Mims is in training?  

Players like this are not being unreasonable asking for new contracts, although they would not necessarily be marked-to-market:  They would get raises plus guarantees.   The question really is whether the Seahawks and Redskins want to pony up $20mm+ year for their receivers when they have no QB to throw to them, and who knows when they get one.  

The 49ers and Titans have QBs, and if they want to compete, they need to pay their WRs.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

We’re in no position to waste picks on a trade for a WR or take one with either our two 1st rounders. We are nowhere near being a good football team. We need quality draft prospects. Period.  This defense is brutal and desperately needs elite defensive playmakers right now. Sauce and JJ would be outstanding additions to this defense. You can’t draft everybody. We have 4 top picks. Take the best players available and stick them into the spots that we need - edge, cb, lb. Then in round 2, perhaps grab a WR.  Some positions are just going to have to wait. Sauce is considered a potential lock down corner. I’d even settle for Stingley at 10. Thibs at 4 and Stingley at 10 or Sauce at 4 and JJ at 10. However it plays out, we can add 3 elite defensive players with 3 of our 4 top picks. 

true enough about needing those defensive positions filled but the biggest problem with this team is scoring points.  i think they averaged a little over 17 ppg last season.  they need to get to 24.  but if the elite offensive wr isn't there they should draft one using their top picks.  10 more days and we'll find out.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

First of all this draft lacks the true elite quarterback prospects that would normally push the blue chippers down a few slots. Secondly, it’s just not a draft with a bunch of blue chippers in the first place. Lastly, if you look at last year’s top 13 you could make a case that most if not all of them could go number one overall this year. 2023 will be completely different.  If the Jets are smart, they should look to trade back out of 4 and 10 and still have a couple first round picks this year but also acquire some 2023 first rounders. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He’s Plaxico at the very least.  

The separation issue with him concerned me. After watching more film, not any more. He has the fastest hands I've ever seen catching the ball. Almost looks like he's body catching, but he's not. That's the great equalizer to me  

• Upvote 3

I don't think that we are picking a WR in the 1st this year. If any WR comes off the board for us, it's going to be Watson who impressed the JETS at the senior bowl and already knows the CS. He's tall, fast and can be taught how to run better routes. I believe he has a chance to move into the starting lineup next year, and can be a contributor this year from the bench.

That said, I think he only gets picked if JD trades one of our 1st rounders down to the mid 1st, and picks up an extra 2nd, because I think Watson will be gone by the 3rd round.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

First of all this draft lacks the true elite quarterback prospects that would normally push the blue chippers down a few slots. Secondly, it’s just not a draft with a bunch of blue chippers in the first place. Lastly, if you look at last year’s top 13 you could make a case that most if not all of them could go number one overall this year. 2023 will be completely different.  If the Jets are smart, they should look to trade back out of 4 and 10 and still have a couple first round picks this year but also acquire some 2023 first rounders

In theory this makes sense - but the time for kicking the can down the road is over for the Jets.  It's time to start building the team and winning.

There's plenty of talent in the draft and there will be elite talent on the board at 4 and 10 - gotta pick the right ones.  And once you get to the 2nd round - this draft is plenty deep.  

Jameson Williams is a top 10 pick in any year if he doesn't get hurt, Thib and Hutch are top 10 picks in any year.

We come out of this with Thib and Williams - it's a steal of a draft for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

There have been exceptions to this rule in recent years, but I think this class presents a regression to the mean.  

But as you say, JD needs to get ZW receivers, and he is not confident that the draft at 4 or 10 provides good value for that.   JD is all about draft value, which is great if you have 10 years to build a team, but less great if you are desperate to improve the team now.   He is in a tough spot, and the easiest answer is to trade from DK, but he scorched that earth so badly that the only answer to that is to overpay to the Seahawks as much as they overpaid for Jamal to the Jets.  Who wants to do that?  

JD's best face saving move here is a tradedown to around 15 or so and take the best WR available there.  People will be less upset if he busts.  Burks would feel good between 15-25.  

I think what’s getting lost is that the Jets currently field a fairly passable receiving corps with Davis, Moore, Berrios, and the TEs. I don’t think there should be as much desperation in this group as there are in others on this team, but I guess they’re looking for a specific guy that they can use to run jet sweeps with, which, good luck to em. If they’re really looking for a speed option, they can just send a future sixth to Carolina for Robby Anderson, who wants to come back and whom I’d imagine Carolina wants to forcibly eject from the building. Agree on DK, but I do think Douglas would end up overpaying for him just to land that pelt.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think what’s getting lost is that the Jets currently field a fairly passable receiving corps with Davis, Moore, Berrios, and the TEs. I don’t think there should be as much desperation in this group as there are in others on this team, but I guess they’re looking for a specific guy that they can use to run jet sweeps with, which, good luck to em. If they’re really looking for a speed option, they can just send a future sixth to Carolina for Robby Anderson, who wants to come back and whom I’d imagine Carolina wants to forcibly eject from the building. Agree on DK, but I do think Douglas would end up overpaying for him just to land that pelt.

“Fairly passable” isn’t good enough. The position is too important. They need another dynamic guy. I think we’d all feel better about the group if they weren’t ravaged by injuries last year, but they were.

Davis is a good player but is a third option on a title team. Same with Berrios. Moore has star potential, but that remains to be seen.

They need another potential #1 guy to pair with Moore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

31 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This is my feeling as well, he seems to be the most obvious compliment to Moore. Kinda like a Rick Man’s Denzel Mims who didn’t let the dog eat his playbook. 

I just think every time you hear JD talk - he's talks about speed at the WR spot.  I really don't think London is their guy.

We signed two TE's to play the big target role.

10 more day!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He’s Plaxico at the very least.  

2 hours ago, genot said:

The separation issue with him concerned me. After watching more film, not any more. He has the fastest hands I've ever seen catching the ball. Almost looks like he's body catching, but he's not. That's the great equalizer to me  

Plaxico Burress ran a 4.59 at 231 lbs.   Does anybody think Drake London would have passed on running the 40 if he could go sub 4.6?  He is 15-20 lbs lighter.  Like most of these WR prospects they are exciting, but scary.  I guess that Wilson is probably the cleanest. 

I think it is odd we never hear Douglas talking about Olave if the focus is all on speed.  We hear a ton about trading back up into the late 1st for guys, but I never hear Olave mentioned.  OTOH, I think there are a ton of smokescreens going where teams seem to be ignoring guys for reasons that they might not care about (Williams' injury, London's speed) quite so much. 

• Upvote 1