Understanding how the draft works, for beginners. If you are not a beginner, you don't need to read this. This is an educational thread.

Alka

1 minute ago, docdhc said:

I don’t think Joe Douglas will read this thread because you said in the intro that he didn’t have to. 

Yes, that was my mistake.  I think that he should read it though.  Perhaps McCagnan and Idzik would have benefitted more from this thread, but for some reason, I don't think that it would have helped them.

• Upvote 1

What if they can't find an option to trade down? Trading down requires another team to trade up, and in this draft that doesn't seem like it will happen very often. If option A isn't available, what's the next big option?

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Hex said:

What if they can't find an option to trade down? Trading down requires another team to trade up, and in this draft that doesn't seem like it will happen very often. If option A isn't available, what's the next big option?

Thank you for that question, as I am here to help you.

What you need to do is to read my entire thread, which will answer all of your questions, I think.

After you read the entire thread, if you still have questions, I am here to prepare you for the draft.  

I'm not sure I get the OP's point?  

The Jets have a draft board that ranks a player at 11 and they also don't think he will  be available at 10 and they like him enough to move up from 10?   It seems like they could just take the player they have at 10 over taking the player they have at 11 at 9 or less plus draft capital. 

Are you really suggesting the Jets have a player ranked way ahead of 10 that everyone else in the NFL has ranked 11?   Or are you suggesting there are 5 to 6 players who can go in any order after 4 in which case the player in question doesn't really rank 11?   That sort of makes sense.  Now you have to assume out of those 4 to 6 players the Jets are crazy in love with one of them to give up draft capital to insure the pick.   That's exactly what they did last year with Vera Tucker.

I'm guessing since Douglas traded up last year that's what he would do.  I still don't get why would trade up from 10 to pick the player we had slotted at 11?

They don’t “listen to the experts “

They have a draft meeting typically around 3 weeks before the draft and the scouts and coaches discuss players 

The GM then creates a board based on that plus obviously other factors. 

after the first 100 players or so sometimes it’s not a firm number ranking but a “round” ranking like “early 5th “

We have no idea what the scouts and coaches think let alone the politics of picking a guy Saleh wants vs LaFleur

Suggesting in your first lesson not to listen to ESPN mock drafts is kinda silly 

39 minutes ago, Larz said:

Suggesting in your first lesson not to listen to ESPN mock drafts is kinda silly 

I the you are very intelligent.  It is obvious.  That is what it boils down to.  Even the "experts" who get paid to mock the drafts aren't exactly saying that the player they mock to a team will take that player.  If you read between the lines, the "experts" are saying that based upon need and quality of the player, a player who a team might want is of a quality to go at that draft position, and not necessarily will be drafted at that position. 

So, as an example, the Jets need a edge rusher, defensive back and wide receiver high up in the draft.  Based upon need and quality of the player being drafted, they are mocking that certain player to the Jets at #4, but if that said player gets drafted at #2, #3, #4, or #10, then the expert feels vindicated that they were correct in their assessment.  If the Jets pick at player that is mocked to another team at #8, and they pick that same player at #4, then they weren't wrong.

On the other hand, if the Jets take a player at #4, that the expert feels should go at #27, then it becomes a big deal, and the expert will say that the Jets blew it, and grade the Jets low for picking a player that they figure wouldn't go for another 20 or so spots.

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Thank you for that question, as I am here to help you.

What you need to do is to read my entire thread, which will answer all of your questions, I think.

After you read the entire thread, if you still have questions, I am here to prepare you for the draft.  

Man, I thought I read the whole thing. This makes more sense. Thanks

29 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

I can simplify this even more. The draft works like this:

commercial

talk

commercial

talk

commercial

pick

player cries, then walks on and gets bear hugged by Goodell

commercial

(continue this pattern for fifteen hours)

You left out "relentless booing of Goodell".

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

I can simplify this even more. The draft works like this:

commercial

talk

commercial

talk

commercial

pick

player cries, then walks on and gets bear hugged by Goodell

commercial

(continue this pattern for fifteen hours)

This is pretty accurate.

The 3rd day is the worst as the babbling talking heads get into telling story's and miss multiple picks and then have to catch up and thus can;t actually tell you about the player picked.  Also when they parachute in 'personalities' that do not follow the draft AT ALL and yet talk as if they know the players (Dion Sanders was the most famous, Micheal irvin as well.)

I think the point of the OP is whether GMs use the draft to build a team or as another separate game to score points. 

Mac and Idzik tried to “win” the draft.  That does not work.  

GM’s supposedly pick BPA and supposedly that works.  It does not.   JD needs to improve the Jets roster.  He can’t count on trade downs.  He needs to pick the players who are going to help the Jets win games in 2022 and 2023. 

This is a crappy draft at the top.  I feel bad for JD.  It could get him fired. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I think the point of the OP is whether GMs use the draft to build a team or as another separate game to score points. 

Mac and Idzik tried to “win” the draft.  That does not work.  

GM’s supposedly pick BPA and supposedly that works.  It does not.   JD needs to improve the Jets roster.  He can’t count on trade downs.  He needs to pick the players who are going to help the Jets win games in 2022 and 2023. 

This is a crappy draft at the top.  I feel bad for JD.  It could get him fired. 

I'm with you 100%.  I think that if JD takes your advice, then he definitely won't get fired.  Don't try to win the draft; pick the players that will help improve the roster.  If the Jets are high on the wide receiver Wilson, even if they feel he is the 15th best player in the draft, and the Jets are worried that he wont be there at #10, then pick him at #4.  The only way JD gets fired is by trying to win the draft.  If Sauce wont help the Jets win games and improve the roster where it needs improving, then don't pick him.  Don't take Kyle Hamilton if he doesn't help the team get to the playoffs.  Whatever will improve the roster, just focus on that, and build up the team. 4 picks in the top 40 should get 4 new starters on this team.  We need an edge, wide receiver, linebacker.  If Sauce helps us get to the playoffs, then draft him.  Forget about the strength of the draft, and worry about strengthening the roster.

• Upvote 2