Jump to content

Houston/ Michigan USFL game


Big Snell
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

Even though the weather isn’t great there, there is practically no one in the stands. Not a good sign.

That’s because they aren’t playing in their home cities. I understand the USFL is being low budget but frankly there is no “home” interest for any team other than Birmingham.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This won’t last, one stadium. The play is very subpar, you just see why many of these players never held on to an NFL roster. Happy for the players, they genuinely seem happy to play. Maybe a few gems can be found, play should be better in a few weeks……. Hopefully.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Top Level Draft Candidates" are not going to the USFL. 

Nor do they have to for it to survive.  College is very subpar/inferior to the NFL, yet survives just fine.

Like it for what it is (Spring Football), or don't, but IMO it doesn't have to be or try to be an NFL feeder league.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I hung in for about 10 minutes.  Not great.  Went instead to a Holmes on Homes episode I've seen like 100 times.  Unless top level draft candidates decide to play in the USFL (yeah, right), they have no shot to succeed.

Mike Holmes is an awesome guy. Love his show.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Top Level Draft Candidates" are not going to the USFL. 

Nor do they have to for it to survive.  College is very subpar/inferior to the NFL, yet survives just fine.

Like it for what it is (Spring Football), or don't, but IMO it doesn't have to be or try to be an NFL feeder league.

 

💯I don’t care to watch any other sport except football. So it was nice to watch spring football. I personally thought the product on the field was better than college but below the NFL. It was like preseason NFL football.

Not having a crowd makes it less exciting. At a college game, you 10’s of thousands of fans screaming. At HS and College games, you have bands battling. The USFL is bare bones at the moment.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m watching the Philly NO game. Active rosters are only 38 players they have a taxi squad. So season wise how sustainable is it. Surprised the TV outlets are showing the lack of crowd. In the past if no one there they’d often not show it. I haven’t heard the commentators talk too much about it maybe they did I just didn’t hear it. Looks like at tops about 200 fans are there. I think tickets are $10 a pop wonder how many of those fans are staying for all 3 games today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Big Snell said:

practically no one in the stands. Not a good sign.

Well it is Easter Sunday in the Bible Belt which can somewhat explain the the really bad turnout but I don’t think USFL will be attended all that well regardless 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I hung in for about 10 minutes.  Not great.  Went instead to a Holmes on Homes episode I've seen like 100 times.  Unless top level draft candidates decide to play in the USFL (yeah, right), they have no shot to succeed.

I found that show years ago when it was on Discovery, I think.   IMO, the original Holmes on Holmes is the best home improvement program ever.  Always loved his "take it down" and "do it right the first time" approach.  I miss Damon and especially Pinky  and Kate in the latter versions of the show.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I found that show years ago when it was on Discovery, I think.   IMO, the original Holmes on Holmes is the best home improvement program ever.  Always loved his "take it down" and "do it right the first time" approach.  I miss Damon and especially Pinky  and Kate in the latter versions of the show.

Damon was awesome. My wife kind of had a "thing" for him (Good for her! Lol)....but Mike, Damon and the crew are genuinely good dudes and really know their stuff. I'm a building construction dork due to how important construction factors are in Fire Suppression,  and always loved to see the process behind a properly built building. Loved that show! I don't think henhas anything current right now, and most of the other similar shows are jokes in comparison. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It won't matter if the stands are empty the handle on the online sports books will determine whether the USFL keeps going or not. If the sheep can be fleeced sufficiently during the NFL/College offseason then the league will go on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Damon was awesome. My wife kind of had a "thing" for him (Good for her! Lol)....but Mike, Damon and the crew are genuinely good dudes and really know their stuff. I'm a building construction dork due to how important construction factors are in Fire Suppression,  and always loved to see the process behind a properly built building. Loved that show! I don't think henhas anything current right now, and most of the other similar shows are jokes in comparison. 

Yeah, my wife liked Damon, too.  Who wouldn't?  lol

It was always so shocking to see how many people got boned by unscrupulous contractors.  Not only taking their money for shoddy work.  But creating dangerous conditions.  As a firefighter, I'm sure you cringed every time Frank from Solutions Electrical (one of my favorites on the show) pointed out terrible electrical work which could have ignited the house.

Currently, Mike Holmes has a new show on HGTV, Homes Family Rescue.  It has none of the magic and grittiness of Holmes on Holmes.  A bit too stylized for me.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nor do they have to for it to survive.  College is very subpar/inferior to the NFL, yet survives just fine.

The student body at these big schools and the alums supporting their college is enough to keep college football a top draw.

Me. I'd rather watch a good college game than any of these never will be USFL leagues and their never will be players.  But thats me, I still check in but its hard to watch.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess if you're just a football fan, these games may draw some eyeballs, but you have baseball, NHL playoffs coming up, NBA playoffs, and nice spring weather to be outdoors - there's a lot of competition for a sub-NFL level product that doesnt really have "home crowds" in 2022.  How into the New Jersey Generals will northeasterners be if all the games are in Birmingham?

Gambling may help - I read back in March that 15 states are allowing gambling on USFL games so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

How into the New Jersey Generals will northeasterners be if all the games are in Birmingham?

Biggest mistake this new league made IMO.  

Hell, the DC Defenders were doing ok here in DC prior to COVID murdering that fledgling league.

You gotta play locally if you want fans to buy in and support the team/league early on.

But again, TV contract + small scale means it could live on for a while, a place for not-quite-NFL-level talent to play, like Europeans Basketball was (and still is in some cases).  A step above college-level pure-minor-league type play, but a step below NFL level.  Think of it like AAA baseball.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I’d be a lot more interested if almost every team wasn’t wearing red.  It’s hard to distinguish between them all.  

They got a group discount if they bought mostly red uniforms.  Couldn't pass it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...