Finding Deebo (WR)

BettyBoop

The never-ending search for a long-term solution at wide receiver continues.  Let's take a closer look.  The following WR have been, in one way or another, have been attached to the Jets this off-season; Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, AJBrown, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Tyler Lockett, Diontae Johnson and Chris Godwin, among others.  As I've noted before every one of these guys was drafted in round 2 or later.  It should also be noted that virtually all of them had decent to great rookie seasons.  It should also be noted that if Douglas feels it takes a season or two for a WR to blossom, then we should expect Elijah Moore to have a great season.  Add to that two NFL caliber TE, and Wilson should have enough weapons to take a step forward.

Douglas has enough resources to find his WR stud(s) even without taking one in the first round.  Most posters look at the ratings from the pundits and feel if we don't get the first or second "rated" WR, we're dead.  There will be WR taken in the second, third and even later rounds who will become terrific pros.  It's up to Douglas and his scouts to find them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Obviously you can find good players outside of the first rd. There’s only 32 picks to be made in rd 1 and 200+ picks made after that. But jets need more weapons for Wilson and at 10 you are almost gaurenteed to have your pick of the litter. 

for every dk metcalf and tyreek hill that have become studs in the 2nd round and beyond there’s a lot more Denzel mims, devin smiths, Stephen hills, ardarius Stewart’s, chad hensons, jalen Saunders, and Shaq evans. 

take the best wr on your board at 10. Imo that’s Jameson Williams. Wouldn’t be mad with London either.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

The never-ending search for a long-term solution at wide receiver continues.  Let's take a closer look.  The following WR have been, in one way or another, have been attached to the Jets this off-season; Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, AJBrown, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Tyler Lockett, Diontae Johnson and Chris Godwin, among others.  As I've noted before every one of these guys was drafted in round 2 or later.  It should also be noted that virtually all of them had decent to great rookie seasons.  It should also be noted that if Douglas feels it takes a season or two for a WR to blossom, then we should expect Elijah Moore to have a great season.  Add to that two NFL caliber TE, and Wilson should have enough weapons to take a step forward.

Douglas has enough resources to find his WR stud(s) even without taking one in the first round.  Most posters look at the ratings from the pundits and feel if we don't get the first or second "rated" WR, we're dead.  There will be WR taken in the second, third and even later rounds who will become terrific pros.  It's up to Douglas and his scouts to find them.

14 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Couldn't agree with you more. There is PLENTY of talent in rounds 2 through 4. I don't want to pick any of these first round grades this year. They just don't measure up to drafts like last years. 

If a professional sports GM used this logic when team building, they deserve the inevitable = only the first round WR’s become the studs and all other WR’s become bust

Things will usually play out this way, when you try and get tooooo cute…. especially if you were blessed with 2 opportunities in the first round to get your guy 

• Post of the Week 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:46 AM, oatmeal said:

If a professional sports GM used this logic when team building, they deserve the inevitable = only the first round WR’s become the studs and all other WR’s become bust

Things will usually play out this way, when you try and get tooooo cute…. especially if you were blessed with 2 opportunities in the first round to get your guy 

This is from Deebo Samuel's 2019 NFL Scouting Report;

Weaknesses

• Compact, stocky frame looks out of place outside
  • Needs to improve footwork to defeat press
  • Routes lack forward lean and vertical push
  • Hip tightness limits stride length
  • Needs to add some finesse with route-work
  • Struggled to uncover against press-and-trail coverage
  • Average burst to separate out of breaks and turns
  • Below average catch radius and mid-air body adjustments
  • First and only healthy season was in 2018
  • Past hamstring issues concern evaluators.

Did the Niners get "tooo cute" when they took him in the second round or did they just know more than the other 34 teams who picked ahead of them?  All of the GMs on this site read the weaknesses of the WR group and conclude either they get the first round guys (i.e., the guys with the fewest weaknesses) or they will stink.

We need to realize that either Douglas and his scouts know what they're doing and can find talent despite all of the reported 'weaknesses' or we will never be a good team.

11 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

This is from Deebo Samuel's 2019 NFL Scouting Report;

Weaknesses

• Compact, stocky frame looks out of place outside
  • Needs to improve footwork to defeat press
  • Routes lack forward lean and vertical push
  • Hip tightness limits stride length
  • Needs to add some finesse with route-work
  • Struggled to uncover against press-and-trail coverage
  • Average burst to separate out of breaks and turns
  • Below average catch radius and mid-air body adjustments
  • First and only healthy season was in 2018
  • Past hamstring issues concern evaluators.

Did the Niners get "tooo cute" when they took him in the second round or did they just know more than the other 34 teams who picked ahead of them?  All of the GMs on this site read the weaknesses of the WR group and conclude either they get the first round guys (i.e., the guys with the fewest weaknesses) or they will stink.

We need to realize that either Douglas and his scouts know what they're doing and can find talent despite all of the reported 'weaknesses' or we will never be a good team.

Then why take anyone in the first round? 
You can find studs at every position in the second round.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Then why take anyone in the first round? 
You can find studs at every position in the second round.   

That’s not what he’s saying, just that we may get better value at other positions in the first round and still have WRs available in the 2nd round that our scouts graded very comparably to some of the first round projected WRs.

12 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

That’s not what he’s saying, just that we may get better value at other positions in the first round and still have WRs available in the 2nd round that our scouts graded very comparably to some of the first round projected WRs.

Yeah. I get it, but there is a real gap between those first three of four guys and there is a drop off. (I personally think there’s a big gap between 1 and 2)

I do hear they’re not rated as high as guys from last year, but that’s not a reason to pass.  For all the points you mentioned is why you do don’t pass on someone you love. 

So some of you are willing to give up a boatload of picks and money for a guy who is stomping his feet because things aren’t going his way? The 49ers want to pay him but he just doesn’t want to play for them and make life difficult a la James Harden?  How’s this going to work out in NY with our fans and media when things dont go smoothly and the going gets tough? Didn't we just go through this with LeVeon Bell? Is this the player we want moving foward with our young impressionable locker room? Hell no 

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah. I get it, but there is a real gap between those first three of four guys and there is a drop off. (I personally think there’s a big gap between 1 and 2)

I do hear they’re not rated as high as guys from last year, but that’s not a reason to pass.  For all the points you mentioned is why you do don’t pass on someone you love. 

What I'm trying to say is that the JN GMs conclude that due to some writeups they've read online they have determined that guys with 2nd-5th round grades have too many weaknesses to succeed.  In all likelihood they felt the same way about Deebo when he came out.  Or DK, or JB or Hill or Kupp or...

There was a real gap in 2019 between Deebo and first round picks N'Keal Harry and Margise Brown.  The Niners clearly got the better of the Ravens and the Pats.  That is what is needed by the Jets.  

We have three main holes that must be filled; WR, Edge and backup OT.  We have two first round picks (for now).  The reality is Douglas has to fill those main holes and several others with only two first round picks.  IF he can find gems past the first round, we could be a good team.  If we have to trade 3-4 premium picks to fill one hole we will be right back where we started.  Again. 

On 4/18/2022 at 8:19 AM, Jetfuel66 said:

Couldn't agree with you more. There is PLENTY of talent in rounds 2 through 4. I don't want to pick any of these first round grades this year. They just don't measure up to drafts like last years. 

The best strategy might just be double-dipping at WR with picks #38 and #69 after doing some serious business at 4, 10, and 35.

There will be good WR prospects on the Board in those spots and the Jets would increase their odds of hitting on at least one of them.

How about a George Pickens (38) and a Skyy Moore or Khalil Shakir (69)?

I'd be fine devoting two picks to WR at those spots after watching the Jets hit Edge, LB, OT in their first 3 picks.

• Upvote 2