Safeties - A review

Good stuff as always Clayton. And though I agree with Bitonti about Pinnock, we do need a potential starter. I agree with you that round two is a poor resource allocation. But I would go with any then-available potential starter at 69, reaching be darned. You seem to be relegating a lot of players--e.g. Kerry Joseph--to the fourth and fifth. I respect the value-oriented approach, but I'm not sure it's consistent with your labeling of safety as a big need 

• Upvote 4

I like the analysis, well done.  I drafted JT Woods in the jetnation mock late and think he will go much earlier than where i took him.   Some of these safeties are why i have so much utter disdain at the notion of taking Hamilton at all let alone early.  Woods is slightly smaller, way faster, has more ints and pretty well the same tackle numbers as hamitlon.  There are some very nice safeties in this draft.

• Upvote 2

This system likes the long, rangy guys. They just signed a short CB to never leave the field. I don’t think they look at anyone under 6’ unless they have 34” arms or something. I also agree that it’s a position to address in the later rounds. I’ve seen safeties mocked to the Jets as early as the second, but that does not feel like something Douglas would do. Just no way on Hamilton. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, slats said:

This system likes the long, rangy guys. They just signed a short CB to never leave the field. I don’t think they look at anyone under 6’ unless they have 34” arms or something. I also agree that it’s a position to address in the later rounds. I’ve seen safeties mocked to the Jets as early as the second, but that does not feel like something Douglas would do. Just no way on Hamilton. 

I mostly agree with this but there's a caveat.  By all indications JD was ready to shell out big $$$ for Marcus Williams from the Saints in FA. I forget the actual numbers but it seemed like the Jets were in serious play and offering more than $10M per year to him.  That's the only thing that makes me hesitate when people say JD won't touch a Safety early or that he really devalues the position.

Something just doesn't add up.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I mostly agree with this but there's a caveat.  By all indications JD was ready to shell out big $$$ for Marcus Williams from the Saints in FA. I forget the actual numbers but it seemed like the Jets were in serious play and offering more than $10M per year to him.  That's the only thing that makes me hesitate when people say JD won't touch a Safety early or that he really devalues the position.

Something just doesn't add up.

I think it was $15M, so I get your point. I do think that a ball hawk, centerfielder-type safety is just as valuable as the CBs in this scheme. I still say hard no on Hamilton. I guess when they get to the second round it could be a matter of BAP, but two of those first four picks need to be Edge and WR, and it’ll be interesting to see if JD can suppress the desire to take an OL with one of them, too. It’s hard for me to see a safety that high. If they’re going non-premium position in the second round, I think I’d prefer the RB. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, slats said:

I think it was $15M, so I get your point. I do think that a ball hawk, centerfielder-type safety is just as valuable as the CBs in this scheme. I still say hard no on Hamilton. I guess when they get to the second round it could be a matter of BAP, but two of those first four picks need to be Edge and WR, and it’ll be interesting to see if JD can suppress the desire to take an OL with one of them, too. It’s hard for me to see a safety that high. If they’re going non-premium position in the second round, I think I’d prefer the RB. 

That 2nd round is really, really appetizing.  The problem is at 35 and 38 there are going to be so many good prospects at a variety of positions the Jets could use.... LB, S, WR, OT, etc.

• Upvote 2

On 4/18/2022 at 12:22 PM, bitonti said:

I think you're underrating pinnock. He played good in those desperation snaps 

I too thought he played well.  Nevertheless, I did not think he played well enough to be counted on.  Remember all the guys who were not in training camp with us who ate snaps.  We cannot afford to let that happen again.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, Alworth said:

Good stuff as always Clayton. And though I agree with Bitonti about Pinnock, we do need a potential starter. I agree with you that round two is a poor resource allocation. But I would go with any then-available potential starter at 69, reaching be darned. You seem to be relegating a lot of players--e.g. Kerry Joseph--to the fourth and fifth. I respect the value-oriented approach, but I'm not sure it's consistent with your labeling of safety as a big need 

It is not that I do not want a high pick at safety, but the strength of this draft is at edge and we have critical needs at WR and OT too.  I cannot justify it.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:13 PM, Beerfish said:

I like the analysis, well done.  I drafted JT Woods in the jetnation mock late and think he will go much earlier than where i took him.   Some of these safeties are why i have so much utter disdain at the notion of taking Hamilton at all let alone early.  Woods is slightly smaller, way faster, has more ints and pretty well the same tackle numbers as hamitlon.  There are some very nice safeties in this draft.

I think Woods goes a lot earlier than those draft simulators.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:29 PM, slats said:

I agree that Douglas values traits.  But I am talking the 4th and 5th.  Cannot have everything. 

On 4/18/2022 at 4:33 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Weatherford could be Saleh's Chancellor.

He is given a 6th round grade by Ourlads who suggest a move to linebacker.

21 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I wonder if Saleh might consider moving someone like Nasirlideen back to a SS role?  Putting these 215 lb guys like Hamsah and Sherwood into LB roles just seems like high risk with regards to injury...

I too thought "where's the beef?" last season.  But to me the key issue is we need to have our backup linebackers and safeties in CAMP with us.  No more snaps to the waiver wire.  It is surrender before the battle.

• Upvote 2