Different take on the NFL draft

18 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Can you link me a video of someone on national TV saying about a white college QB: “concerns of his ability to process information on the next level” ?????

You can do it yourself. You just dont want to be wrong. 

Just to show that you're off your rocker...

1. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1047730-50-biggest-quarterback-busts-in-nfl-draft-history

2. https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/nfl-ranking-top-5-quarterbacks-bust

3. https://www.thesportster.com/football/nfl-qb-draft-picks-where-are-they-now/

Theres a consistent theme in these lists, and it sure doesn't back up what you're saying. 

Ryan Leaf since day 1 has and always will be the poster child for QB busts. Especially considering his downward trajectory even after football. Jamarcus Russell is a distant second. 

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It doesn't say anything worse here:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/patrick-mahomes/32004d41-4840-1939-e4c1-bb89191b4e71

or here:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/deshaun-watson/32005741-5433-8355-e029-e49022cf4b81

or here:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/malik-willis/32005749-4c61-4428-8345-922a57c28423

All three of whom are guys you are claiming were called 'stupid' in some form or other.  I think you are having a Mandela effect where you memory is shifting to support the conclusion you want.  Almost every post in this thread is telling you that you are mistaken, but you keep doubling down but still haven't posted a single thing in support of your position, while ignoring everything posted to the contrary.

At any point are you going to consider that maybe you went out on too thin a branch?

I understand what you are saying and I respect your point of view

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Someone referred to Josh Rosen as stupid? 

I think it’s a pretty simple fact that black athletes are more likely to get hit with questions about their intellectual abilities than their white counterparts. That’s what people love to say about Geno. Dumb people don’t make a million a year hoping to not to see the field for as long as he’s been able to. 

Is this Geno 'Time Zones' Smith or Geno 'I ain't paying' Smith? He might be the Jets all-time leader in self sacks too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

My words were m: “Hell, thinking about it now i can’t remember a recent white QB prospect who’s “ability to process information” was questioned, maybe someone can help me remember? “

2014 is recent and when in comparison I have you a list of black QBs from the past 5 years and one is even from this draft. More white QBs we’re drafted in this same time span abd you had to go all the way back to 2014 to find a legitimate example.

This is very telling to me but to you it’s me playing a game. Okay I guess 

Listen white black brown orange yellow green don’t matter what color, Jamarcus Russel was LAZY after he was drafted, show me proof otherwise.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet9 said:

Is this Geno 'Time Zones' Smith or Geno 'I ain't paying' Smith? He might be the Jets all-time leader in self sacks too. 

He has his issues. They’re not intellectual so much as immature, imho. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

My words were m: “Hell, thinking about it now i can’t remember a recent white QB prospect who’s “ability to process information” was questioned, maybe someone can help me remember? “

2014 is recent and when in comparison I have you a list of black QBs from the past 5 years and one is even from this draft. More white QBs we’re drafted in this same time span abd you had to go all the way back to 2014 to find a legitimate example.

This is very telling to me but to you it’s me playing a game. Okay I guess 

Also Russel was 15 years ago not recent, not even close to recent.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Fair enough. I will say there are plenty of career backups who, once put in, are absolute garbage. They're just lucky enough to play behind guys who don't get hurt all the time. 

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Someone referred to Josh Rosen as stupid? 

I think it’s a pretty simple fact that black athletes are more likely to get hit with questions about their intellectual abilities than their white counterparts. That’s what people love to say about Geno. Dumb people don’t make a million a year hoping to not to see the field for as long as he’s been able to. 

I generally agree that there tendencies still unfortunately exist to do just that.  I think legitimate draft sites have gotten better about how they throw around adjectives for this reason but the process is not race-blind yet.

Funny thing about Geno though...

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013gsmith.php

Strengths:

• Displays of excellent accuracy
  • Intelligent
  • Hard worker
  • Puts in a lot of time in the film room
  • Decision-making

He has demonstrated his intelligence and field vision by working through his progressions and looking off safeties

Didn't turn out so great, though.

• Upvote 2

Guys I usually… guys I never try and defend who I am to anyone but I need everyone to know I’m not one of these “tHaTs rAcIsT” bros, I just try to be honest 

^^

This is really what I’m speaking on, some of the stuff presented in this video and yes it’s the cringe TYT Sports but regardless they make legitimate points here

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Saw Bomani and guessed it was about race. I should go buy a lotto ticket I guess.

Honest question for anyone over 30-35; how/why in the **** do you guys still watch Bomani, Skip, Shannon, Rome, Cowherd, Stephen A or anyone at the 4-letter network at all? It is absolute trash tv with horrific sports opinions. Obviously you guys can watch whatever you want, I'm simply asking why? 

Same with me, the moment i saw who it was I knew what the topic was going to be about.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Guys I usually… guys I never try and defend who I am to anyone but I need everyone to know I’m not one of these “tHaTs rAcIsT” bros, I just try to be honest 

^^

This is really what I’m speaking on, some of the stuff presented in this video and yes it’s the cringe TYT Sports but regardless they make legitimate points here

Is there some morons out there who will still pigeon hole black QB’s to old school stereo types.  Like I said they are morons, guys like Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Murray to name just some RECENT guys have proven those that may have let them stupidly slip because of that (obviously not in Murray’s case he went 1st overall but that doesn’t fit your narrative).

Also all this junk is coming from the MEDIA, yes the MEDIA.  Find me an employee of an NFL team with this take on record while they were employed with said team.

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

^^

This is a much better watch than that Bomani Jones crap.  Still a valid concern.

I will admit that I was very critical of Kaepernick while he was taking a knee.  Looking back, what he did was not as bad as I felt at the time.  I didn't think he was as good as he though he was, but he was certainly good enough to be on a roster.

I also think the narrative is losing its legs as the past few years have seen a remarkable balance in the list of top QBs.  Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Allen, Watson.  That's more or less your top-6 QBs.  Three white...three black.  

There's still a lot of room for improvement.  I still think it's very rare to see QB prospects comped to players of the opposite race.  That would be a good place to start.  

• Sympathy 1

Johnny Football 2014 - think about that. You had to go all the way back to 2014 to find a guy.  For a black QB just go back one year to find Justin Fields go back a couple more then you have Lamar Jackson. 

How about Watson, Mahomes, Haskins, this year Wills 
This is no coincidence 

you’re a race baiter and don’t belong on this board

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Is there some morons out there who will still pigeon hole black QB’s to old school stereo types.  Like I said they are morons, guys like Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Murray to name just some RECENT guys have proven those that may have let them stupidly slip because of that (obviously not in Murray’s case he went 1st overall but that doesn’t fit your narrative).

Also all this junk is coming from the MEDIA, yes the MEDIA.  Find me an employee of an NFL team with this take on record while they were employed with said team.

We are saying the same thing , the media is terrible when it comes to how they report / handle sensitive situations.

Purposely race bating / always lying to keep the public fighting and arguing about any and everything that’s meaningless.

All for the benefit of the 1% at the top of the pyramid so they can continue to rob us all blind. 

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

All for the benefit of the 1% at the top of the pyramid so they can continue to rob us all blind. 

I wonder what the majority color at the top of that pyramid is.

You know what, nvm, it probably doesn't mean anything, anyway.

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is a much better watch than that Bomani Jones crap.  Still a valid concern.

I will admit that I was very critical of Kaepernick while he was taking a knee.  Looking back, what he did was not as bad as I felt at the time.  I didn't think he was as good as he though he was, but he was certainly good enough to be on a roster.

I also think the narrative is losing its legs as the past few years have seen a remarkable balance in the list of top QBs.  Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Allen, Watson.  That's more or less your top-6 QBs.  Three white...three black.  

There's still a lot of room for improvement.  I still think it's very rare to see QB prospects comped to players of the opposite race.  That would be a good place to start.  

Kap lost me when I seen it was clearly about the money.

At a time where he had the worlds spotlight on him and he could’ve brought to light a lot of issues but what did he do?

Take a whats basically a Nike modeling contract, take a couple of pictures, make a few appearances and then fade to black. 

Then when the clown comes in the public again, he’s gained 150 lbs of body fat taking about a FREAKING NFL comeback ?

I personally think Kap is human trash that used race relations for personal gain much like a group who yelled and set back race relations last year, just to find out this group leadership was stealing funds. (Won’t mention the group because I don’t want to start a political battle with anyone) 

And tbh I wouldn’t want him on my team with the circus he will attract but with all said I see your points on Kap though 

• Upvote 1

Black players are compared to black players and white players are often compared to white players. While it may be racial in nature that doesn’t make it racist. It just human nature for people to compare those who have similar physical traits to each other. Not saying it’s right. It’s just something people do. Look at the comparisons between Chrebet, Welker, Edelman and other small white slot receivers. There are plenty of black receivers who do the same things they do but they somehow get lumped together. Not right. Also, not racist.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I wonder what the majority color at the top of that pyramid is.

You know what, nvm, it probably doesn't mean anything, anyway.

I mean nobody really knows, there are rumors of certain family lines or whatever and people like this operate through proxy’s but if I had to guess I would say that they are a mix of every race on earth. 

14 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Kap lost me when I seen it was clearly about the money.

At a time where he had the worlds spotlight on him and he could’ve brought to light a lot of issues but what did he do?

Take a whats basically a Nike modeling contract, take a couple of pictures, make a few appearances and then fade to black. 

Then when the clown comes in the public again, he’s gained 150 lbs of body fat taking about a FREAKING NFL comeback ?

I personally think Kap is human trash that used race relations for personal gain much like a group who yelled and set back race relations last year, just to find out this group leadership was stealing funds. (Won’t mention the group because I don’t want to start a political battle with anyone) 

And tbh I wouldn’t want him on my team with the circus he will attract but with all said I see your points on Kap though 

Oh I definitely don't want him anywhere near the Jets.  Never did.  And yes, his actions in the wake of what went on changed the narrative on him for the worse.  I was just referring to that first year.  My opinion now isn't the same as it was then.  One of the rare occasions where I re-examined my opinion and found it could use a little adjustment.  The fact that he sold out afterwards notwithstanding.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I mean nobody really knows, there are rumors of certain family lines or whatever and people like this operate through proxy’s but if I had to guess I would say that they are a mix of every race on earth. 

I mean, if you're talking about the top 1% globally, sure, but if you're talking about the top 1% in the US?

Ehhhhh....

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I listened for a minute.  He was bemoaning the fact that people use "Jamarcus Russell" as a way to highlight how black QBs might turn out fat, lazy, or stupid.  Then he challenges the listeners to name any time someone used that reference to question a white QB prospect.  Obviously, he has never heard of Ryan Leaf.  Ryan Leaf is every bit the poster child for QB busts and butt of bad draft pick jokes that Jamarcus Russell is. 

Maybe it got better later on, but once you start building a narrative to play the race card, and it ignores inconvenient arguments that would otherwise dismantle it, you lose me.

If there's something better in this, someone please feel free to highlight it.  There is plenty to legitimately discuss about race takes in the NFL but this ain't it.  

Jeff George isnt far behind.

There are others

"Jamarcus Russell" is a way to highlight how QBs might turn out fat, lazy, or stupid fail in this league.   Black or white

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

the black QBs get: “questions on his ability to process information on the next level”  

not something tame like: “Decision-making and field vision were inconsistent this year”

Has a tendency to rush throws once internal clock winds down

If your child played ball which one would you like said about them? 

what i dont understand is that if this is true they why would someone draft Russell with the #1 pick in the draft? why would KC move up from 27 to 10 to draft Mahomes? Watson taken at 12. Fields was a top 10 pick. 

this just seems too high to pick a QB who cant process info.

what this guy fails to mention is prior to the late 60's just about all of the qb's coming out were white.  james harris was the first black one and he came from grambling.  now, 50 + years later, there are lots of black qb's to choose from.  the changes happen from the colleges to the nfl, not the other way around.  the one knock i see is that they tend not to be the traditional pocket passer types.  but that's the nfl inertia at play.  a guy like jackson is doing pretty well with his mobility and so is josh allen.  the more mobile qb is in vogue.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

OMG.  One more if it will stop this.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

Nobody questions Hack's physical ability.  His brain was his downfall and PFF (along with many others) called him out on this before the draft.

Please stop trying to beat this dead horse.  There are plenty of crappy QBs of all races to go around.  Yes, it's obvious that people tend to comp players to other players of the same race.  Unfortunate, yet a real thing.  But it's not only black QBs that get labeled as not having the processing speed or decision making to succeed.

Not saying the world is where it needs to be, but if you're old enough to remember guys like James Harris and Jimmy the Greek, this whole thread seems unnecessary...

20 hours ago, oatmeal said:

We literally witnessed one of the most stupidest QBs to ever grace a nfl field in Sam Darnold and I don’t remember anyone in the media ever questioning his football IQ.

Hell, thinking about it now i can’t remember a recent white QB prospect who’s “ability to process information” was questioned, maybe someone can help me remember? ?

image.png.802a74f3a97fb96911a6b45883588ae5.png

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, slats said:

Geno was literally a deer in the headlights and certainly has struggled to read defenses. How many times did you see him trying to figure things out, then tuck the ball and run for a loss. Sanchez was terrible too. And he developed the yips on top of that. The jury is still out on Zach. He showed glimmers of speeding up his processing at the end of the season. Let's see if he can sustain it and grow.