Interesting mock

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have said it before but many of the fans here are just obsessed with EDGE to an unrealistic amount.

Agree. I would LOVE an elite edge at # 4, BUT... Their AINT one in this draft.  NONE.  Hutch is a very nice prospect, but over rated as an edge guy.  He has "potential".  Thibs is a boom or bust guy and not a safe pick, Walker is more of a five technique guy for a 34 defense.  He'd be the type of versatile D-Line guy that Rex would love, but not really a 43 end. 

IMHO, Karlaftis would be an interesting choice at 10 if they take Ickey or Sauce at 4.  I think he fits the bill as a possible 43 edge guy for the Jets. 

Perhaps this draft: 

#4 Ickey or Sauce

# 10: Karlaftis

# 35 Sky Moore or Linderbaum

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree. I would LOVE an elite edge at # 4, BUT... Their AINT one in this draft.  NONE.  Hutch is a very nice prospect, but over rated as an edge guy.  He has "potential".  Thibs is a boom or bust guy and not a safe pick, Walker is more of a five technique guy for a 34 defense.  He'd be the type of versatile D-Line guy that Rex would love, but not really a 43 end. 

IMHO, Karlaftis would be an interesting choice at 10 if they take Ickey or Sauce at 4.  I think he fits the bill as a possible 43 edge guy for the Jets. 

Perhaps this draft: 

#4 Ickey or Sauce

# 10: Karlaftis

# 35 Sky Moore or Linderbaum

I am a strong "do everything for Zach" guy but I am not sure how you pass on Gardner even if CB is slightly less valuable in our defense. On the EDGE Saleh our own HC said he sees a bunch of closely grouped guys but not an elite one which I agree with so how can you justify taking one at 4 other than a hail mary for need?

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I am a strong "do everything for Zach" guy but I am not sure how you pass on Gardner even if CB is slightly less valuable in our defense. On the EDGE Saleh our own HC said he sees a bunch of closely grouped guys but not an elite one which I agree with so how can you justify taking one at 4 other than a hail mary for need?

I agree fully and have been saying so all along.  No edge at 4.  There aint one to be had. 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

If the Jags or Texans take Ickey before the Jets can take him at 4, I think it may very well go that way.  I believe the ideal for them is to trade Becton for what they can get and draft Ickey at 4.  I think this has been the ideal plan since the combine.  I believe they also love Sauce and wound take him at 4 by default if Ickey was gone.  

Considering the way the rest of the first round would play out, if they take Sauce at 4, London will almost certainly be there at 10 for them to take.  They rate him as the best WR in the draft and it fills a need as well.

This all depends on the availability of Ickey at 4.  If he's not there, I'd bet Sauce / London would be the combo in the first round.

If Ickey is there, it will be Ickey / London

Or Ickey at 4 and CB Trent McDuffee at 10.

Outside chance both Ickey and Sauce are gone at 4

Hamilton at 4 and London at 10.

We're not trading Becton, at a loss, to draft his replacement.  That doesn't make us better, it just gets rid of a whipping boy

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

We're not trading Becton, at a loss, to draft his replacement.  That doesn't make us better, it just gets rid of a whipping boy

They are moving on from Becton as the expected starter at OT.  If Ickey is there at 4, they will take him.  

53 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

As much as I like Sauce, McDuffee and or Stingley may wind up being better players.  Not possible to know until they get into action.  I like Sauce very much for the intangibles and see him as a core member of a defense and a locker room guy as well as a skilled player.  His style of play also is a perfect fit for Saleh's defense.  He is more of a corner that uses his head and instincts to know what is going on and where to be.  He can also tackle.  He'll be all over the place.  He'll also probably be calling the signals for the back end of the defense wherever he goes.  However, Both McDuffee and especially Stingley show greater physical skills.  If Stingley didn't have the durability issues, he'd probably be considered the only true elite player in the draft.  I think McDuffee may be a better fit for a defense that does a lot of aggressive blitzing because he is so good in press man.  He makes up for his comparatively smaller size by being physically aggressive.  But then again, if you try to get too technical with matching players to systems, you lose sight of the fact that all of these guys are football players and they know how to adapt and make things happen.  

As far as the WR's, I agree that London is the best WR in the draft, but I see Dohtson and Moore as super good round two prospects.  I really like Moore and would not be surprised if he turned out to be the pearl of this years WR class.

Thanks for the thorough response. And I thought last year's draft was complicated for Douglas (and us fans)! Every day I wake up with a different scenerio of how I want this draft to go. 4 high picks in 2 rounds will have our heads spinning come Thursday and Friday next week and of course "intelligent" debating of who we wanted or why Douglas's picks were justified (or sucked!) ?

35 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

They are moving on from Becton as the expected starter at OT.  If Ickey is there at 4, they will take him.  

They are not. You've moved on.  No one running the team has moved on.  Theyre not drafting another OT @ 4 with Becton on the roster 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They are not. You've moved on.  No one running the team has moved on.  Theyre not drafting another OT @ 4 with Becton on the roster 

I'm gong to remind you of this post next week.  If Ickey is there at 4, they take him. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have said it before but many of the fans here are just obsessed with EDGE to an unrealistic amount.

This type of thinking works against us much more than we expect. I don't think It's true fans that act this way . Can't speak for other fan bases , and if they go through this,  but I just think that it is so profitable for the media to set unrealistic expectations then bash us when we dont find success immediatly for cliche bait purposes. It's why I am so on board with the content makers with #boycottthebeat. In other cases, I think there are more trolls who infiltrate our fan base because they know they will get a reaction.   Other players see this and want no part of it when it comes to playing for the Jets .

I'm currently picking for the Jets in a multi-team fan mock, no trades. I picked the same three players - Sauce, London, Ebiketie - at 4, 10 and 35. Sauce at 4 was easy for me because Thibs was gone. If Thibs was there, I'd have picked him.

Waiting until 35 for Ebiketie is a risk, no question but if Douglas has a feel that he'd be there, the pay off is potentially big. The drop off in potential between Johnson and Ebiketie is minimal, if one even exists. The potential difference between Sauce at 4 and any other prospect at 35 is considerable. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am going on record as saying I don't think offensive line at 4 and trading Becton is the plan at all. I think the actual plan is Becton.

Is GVR still on this team? If so I put GVR on defense and keep him as far away from Becton as humanly possible. 

6 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I'm currently picking for the Jets in a multi-team fan mock, no trades. I picked the same three players - Sauce, London, Ebiketie - at 4, 10 and 35. Sauce at 4 was easy for me because Thibs was gone. If Thibs was there, I'd have picked him.

Waiting until 35 for Ebiketie is a risk, no question but if Douglas has a feel that he'd be there, the pay off is potentially big. The drop off in potential between Johnson and Ebiketie is minimal, if one even exists. The potential difference between Sauce at 4 and any other prospect at 35 is considerable. 

Who were the first 3 guys? Any QB's? Did you take first WR?  Did Linderbaum go in first?

27 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Was Boye Mafe available to you at #35? He would be my personal preference if we waited to go Edge there with Ebiketie as the option after him.

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

Who were the first 3 guys? Any QB's? Did you take first WR?  Did Linderbaum go in first?

Hutch, Thibs and Walker went 1,2,3. Had the pick of the receivers at 10. Willis to Carolina at 6 was only QB. Linderbaum went to Bengals. 

I like Johnson fine but not at 4. I don't think he's that much better than edge guys who will go much later. 

Waiting until 35 for your edge is risky. You'd need to be sure you like more than one guy in that range. Or just trade up. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Hutch, Thibs and Walker went 1,2,3. Had the pick of the receivers at 10. Willis to Carolina at 6 was only QB. Linderbaum went to Bengals. 

I like Johnson fine but not at 4. I don't think he's that much better than edge guys who will go much later. 

Waiting until 35 for your edge is risky. You'd need to be sure you like more than one guy in that range. Or just trade up. 

This draft is going to be fascinating, especially with the edge guys. Either these guys are all way better than many think, or it will be plain old panic buying like before a blizzard.

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

Was Boye Mafe available to you at #35? He would be my personal preference if we waited to go Edge there with Ebiketie as the option after him.

No, he went to the Chiefs late first. Him going off the board wasn't ideal. I'd have Mafe/Ebiketie higher than Bonitto, Paschal, etc. 

I think if Douglas goes Sauce/Ekwonu at 4, receiver at 10, he'd need to have a provisional trade up in place to take his edge at the end of the first. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Disagree there . I feel Stingley, Booth and McDuffie can be just as good as Gardner. I feel Gardner's stat's are being blown out of context , no Td's against and I feel Stingley is being severely downgraded due to his prior injury and sit out.  W/o the injury Stingley is a better prospect then Gardner . 

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

This draft is going to be fascinating, especially with the edge guys. Either these guys are all way better than many think, or it will be plain old panic buying like before a blizzard.

Think Hutch/Thibs are in a little tier of their own, but the next 5-6 guys are fairly similar. Waiting until the third tier isn't really an option. 

Karlaftis is an interesting one if he falls. I've seen him mocked anywhere from Minnesota at 12 to the Chiefs at 29. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Disagree there . I feel Stingley, Booth and McDuffie can be just as good as Gardner. I feel Gardner's stat's are being blown out of context , no Td's against and I feel Stingley is being severely downgraded due to his prior injury and sit out.  W/o the injury Stingley is a better prospect then Gardner . 

Sure, but in a draft scenario, Stingley, Booth and McDuffie won't be there at 35. Booth might fall a little but Stingley and McDuffie will be long gone. You'd be looking at Elam or McCreary if you took a corner in the second round.

Or you could go safety, and take someone like Pitre, Brisker, Hill, a linebacker like Muma, etc Fine players but they won't be graded anywhere close to Gardner (or Stingley, McDuffie for that matter). 

The difference in grade between the 3rd/4th ranked edge and who's available later might not be as significant imo. 

1 hour ago, K_O_Brien said:

I like this and if not Ebiketie Mafe might be there as well. With Zach not getting a WR is worse than not getting an EDGE and I prefer Gardner because he is the only one I see actually worth the #4 pick. My dream scenario would be to trade down with NO for 16 and 19 then trade up for #6 to get Gardner using 38. then we could get something like Gardner London Penning/Zion/Linderbaum then Ebikeie/Mafe at 35

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Sauce & London in round 1. Edge and ILB in round 2. OT in round 3. Interesting in that It covers the positions most of us want to see taken, just in a different sequence with different players. Not saying I'm crazy about it. Having Pickens, Dotosn and Moore as the best remaining WRs going into round 2 is not good. Does make the argument for waiting on an OT until round 2 and later valid.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/nfl-draft-analysis/thors-3-round-mock-draft-40?utm_int=Edge1248

I could live with it, especially the positions.  CB, WR, Edge, LB, OT are really good hits.

Disagree with some of the players however.  I think I would rather have Ekwonu at 4, Jermaine Johnson at 10, Pitre at 35, Pickens at 38 and Troy Anderson at 69.

18 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

Sure, but in a draft scenario, Stingley, Booth and McDuffie won't be there at 35. Booth might fall a little but Stingley and McDuffie will be long gone. You'd be looking at Elam or McCreary if you took a corner in the second round.

Or you could go safety, and take someone like Pitre, Brisker, Hill, a linebacker like Muma, etc Fine players but they won't be graded anywhere close to Gardner (or Stingley, McDuffie for that matter). 

The difference in grade between the 3rd/4th ranked edge and who's available later might not be as significant imo. 

You are correct , I misread your original post skipping over the being there at 35 part . 

On 4/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

Chad Muma is a very common name mocked to the Jets in the 2nd round.  Apparently he was on the Jets team in the Senior Bowl and seems to be a scheme fit.  

From what I read about him special teams is a big part of his game. Do they have him slotted as a 2nd round guy now? Our picks at the top of the 2nd would be too early for him, no?

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

From what I read about him special teams is a big part of his game. Do they have him slotted as a 2nd round guy now? Our picks at the top of the 2nd would be too early for him, no?

I would think 2nd round is too high for him, but he's showing up there in a lot of mocks - he seems to be a "riser" - he has good athletic numbers, so that could be it

If the Jags or Texans take Ickey before the Jets can take him at 4, I think it may very well go that way.  I believe the ideal for them is to trade Becton for what they can get and draft Ickey at 4.  I think this has been the ideal plan since the combine.  I believe they also love Sauce and wound take him at 4 by default if Ickey was gone.  
Considering the way the rest of the first round would play out, if they take Sauce at 4, London will almost certainly be there at 10 for them to take.  They rate him as the best WR in the draft and it fills a need as well.
This all depends on the availability of Ickey at 4.  If he's not there, I'd bet Sauce / London would be the combo in the first round.
If Ickey is there, it will be Ickey / London
Or Ickey at 4 and CB Trent McDuffee at 10.
Outside chance both Ickey and Sauce are gone at 4
Hamilton at 4 and London at 10.

you must be reading different sources than me - i could see gardner at 4 if and only if thibs is gone - with a choice between gardner and thibs it will be thibs every time

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app