Peter Schrager's latest mock...

This is a swing for the fences draft. We need elite playmakers more than anything. These two guys have a chance to be game changers.

Regarding Jameson’s rehab, we can still sign a veteran WR like Jarvis Landry to buy us a year. Even if Jameson is back by training camp, I dont expect him to be WR 1 or 2 right out of the gate.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

okay, cynical take - doesn't seem like JD's done anything to show he's managed scared, but certainly just the fact that Woody's back, is far different and likely more difficult than CJ - it's certainly plausible.

Who do you suggest they take that will accomplish these goals?

Two players that will be shiny new toys out of the gate and will also be locks to be that?

Note: This idea that you'll be waiting a long time to get Williams on the field seems to being disputed by most in the know including the player himself.  But again, let's assume you're right.

Of course Jameson Williams and his camp is going to say he’ll be ready for camp. What else are they going to say? 

As for the second question, I’d ask you, if job security was a consideration—what could Douglas and Saleh do between now and the end of the draft that would buy them extra time? I have thoughts, but I’m curious to see what you would do.

2 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Jameson may become the next Jerry Rice for all I know, but I just don’t think the Jets have the luxury to take an injured WR who won’t be ready for a bit.  It’s too risky for them imo.

Another injury prone Alabama player at that…….  Dee Milner re-visited I would have fears. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Of course Jameson Williams and his camp is going to say he’ll be ready for camp. What else are they going to say? 

As for the second question, I’d ask you, if job security was a consideration—what could Douglas and Saleh do between now and the end of the draft that would buy them extra time? I have thoughts, but I’m curious to see what you would do.

Because there's more to it than what he says - he has doctors that the Jets have spoken with, the kid has live video of him already hopping around.  He's not going to say things like that, on video - when the Jets and every other team knows he's lying.  Would be a terrible look.  Jet or not - we'll see.

As for the second question - I assume you're talking about a trade and I've said they've been trying to do that - and believe it's more likely than not to get one of those guys  - but it's not as easy as simply wanting to - moreover, I'm not sure that's about job security and shiny new objects than it is about smart team building.

Joe has approached each season differently - according to a longer term vision, this was always going to be a year he was going to get aggressive.  I'm just not buying the idea that trading two second round picks for a top 10 WR is a desperation and desire for "splash" move.

2 hours ago, jetsons said:

Peter Schrager 2022 NFL mock draft 2.0: Bills add offense; Chiefs double down on D
Published: Apr 19, 2022 at 06:53 AM

Pick
1. Jacksonville Jaguars
Travon Walker, Georgia · DL · Junior
I'm told by people in the know that the decision on this pick is far from made. With less than two weeks to go, the Jaguars are still building their board. The fact that it remains a debate makes me think Trent Baalke is leaning toward Walker.

Pick
2. Detroit Lions
Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan · Edge · Senior
If the Jags go with Travon Walker, Detroit won't waste a second turning in this draft card. Local ties aside, Hutchinson is everything the Lions are looking for in a franchise building block and future 10-year starter up front.

Pick
3. Houston Texans
Ickey Ekwonu, N.C. State · OT · Junior
I've heard a lot of noise from folks around the league that Houston could pick one of the two corners -- Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley Jr. -- but this seems too rich a spot in the draft to take a DB. Houston will address the lack of talent in their current defensive backfield at some point. 

Pick
4. New York Jets
Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oregon · Edge · Junior

If Evan Neal, Sauce Gardner and Thibodeaux are all on the board at No. 4, it will be a simulation and conversation the Jets have explored for weeks. I'm told the team is still sorting its board, but that its meeting with Thibodeaux last Friday went extremely well. At some point, the Jets front office needs to get Robert Saleh an edge rusher.

Pick
5. New York Giants
Charles Cross, Mississippi State · OT · Sophomore (RS)
Your first big shocker of the draft: The Giants take Cross over Evan Neal and Sauce Gardner. I've heard the Giants love the Mississippi State product, who's not only rising up their board, but several other teams', as well.

Pick
6. Carolina Panthers
Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh · QB · Senior (RS)
Pickett's meeting with the Panthers last week went really well. In fact, all of the QB prospect meetings with Carolina did. With only one other pick in the top 140, I think the Panthers just take their QB of choice, hold their nose and deal with any draft-day critiques suggesting they reached with this selection.

Pick
7. New York Giants (from CHI)
Sauce Gardner, Cincinnati · CB · Junior
New defensive coordinator Wink Martindale will be the happiest man on the planet if Sauce falls to No. 7. The former Bearcat is one of the few DBs in recent college football history who could be left on an island and come out on top. Considering Wink's blitz-everyone-and-their-brother-and-mother approach, Gardner would be a perfect fit in the Giants' defensive backfield.

Pick
8. Atlanta Falcons
Evan Neal, Alabama · OT · Junior
The Falcons sit pretty at No. 8 and take the best player available in Neal. This situation would be a lot like what happened to the Chargers last year when Pro Bowler Rashawn Slater unexpectedly fell out of the top 12.

Pick
9. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN)
Derek Stingley Jr., LSU · CB · Junior
Defensive back might not be the most pressing need for Seattle, but Stingley can ball. There's a big drop-off on teams' overall boards at the corner spot after Gardner and Stingley. Seattle gets another LSU Tiger to join Jamal Adams in the secondary.

Pick
10. New York Jets (from SEA)
Jameson Williams, Alabama · WR · Junior

Williams is still working his way back from ACL surgery, but that shouldn't eliminate his chances of going in the top 10. The Jets are still looking to beef up their receiver room, and Williams has WR1 potential. 

Pick
11. Washington Commanders
Garrett Wilson, Ohio State · WR · Junior
Whether or not Washington extends Terry McLaurin isn't a contributing factor with my pick here. The Commanders can go a variety of ways, but if Wilson slips out of the top 10, I think they'd pounce on the former Buckeye.

Pick
Minnesota Vikings
Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State · Edge · Senior (RS)
Derek Stingley Jr.'s defensive coordinator at LSU, Daronte Jones, is now coaching with Minnesota (defensive backs), and I think the talented corner is the apple of the Vikings’ eye. If he’s off the board, look for Johnson, an Eden Prairie, Minnesota, native who’s viewed by most teams as the fourth pass rusher off the board. 

Pick
13. Houston Texans (from CLE)
Kyle Hamilton, Notre Dame · S · Junior
The Texans need to address their defensive backfield. In Hamilton, they get the best safety in this draft and a guy who could be a captain his first year on the field.

Pick
14. Baltimore Ravens
Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa · OT · Senior (RS)
Love this fit, both for the landing spot and value. Lamar Jackson will relish playing behind Penning, who has a nasty streak the Ravens may have lost when they traded Orlando Brown Jr. a year ago.

Pick
15. Philadelphia Eagles (from MIA)
Drake London, USC · WR · Junior
Could Philly draft a wide receiver in the first round for the third straight year? Yes. Yes, they can. Remember, they have 10 total selections, and Nick Sirianni is an offensive coach with a big say in this pick.

Pick
16. New Orleans Saints (from IND through PHI)
Chris Olave, Ohio State · WR · Senior
New Orleans takes a WR with elite speed and tremendous upside to pair with the big, physical Michael Thomas.

Pick
17. Los Angeles Chargers
Treylon Burks, Arkansas · WR · Junior
The run at WR continues with the Chargers scooping up another target for Justin Herbert. Burks is the 2022 prospect most often compared to Deebo Samuel, in that he's a prolific playmaker from the perimeter and out of the backfield.

Pick
18. Philadelphia Eagles (from NO)
Devin Lloyd, Utah · LB · Senior (RS)
Lloyd's a great player and person and has the X's-and-O's know-how to be the shot-caller of the Eagles' D. He has exceptional pass-coverage skills (check out his INT against Stanford) and can line up with tight ends in the passing game.

Pick
19. New Orleans Saints (from PHI)
Jordan Davis, Georgia · DT · Senior
The NFL Scouting Combine superhero would find a great defensive coaching staff and core to learn from in New Orleans. Is he going to be the 340-pound physical freak we all saw in Indy or the 360-pound player at UGA who struggled to stay on the field versus Alabama the first time they played last season?

Pick
20. Pittsburgh Steelers
Malik Willis, Liberty · QB · Senior (RS)
Drafting Willis wouldn't be an indictment on Mitchell Trubisky -- it'd be a move toward the future. May the best man win. Willis, who'd be a value pick at No. 20, has a lot of fans around the league -- just not sure there's one willing to take him in the top 10 at this point.

Pick
21. New England Patriots
Trent McDuffie, Washington · CB · Junior
The Patriots didn't re-sign J.C. Jackson and are looking at Jalen Mills and Malcolm Butler as the likely starting corners. Neither is the long-term answer at CB1. McDuffie has a lot of fans around the league.

Pick
22. Green Bay Packers (from LV)
Jahan Dotson, Penn State · WR · Senior
I think the Packers take the best WR left on the board. Dotson isn't going to be Davante Adams anytime soon (or likely ever), but he's a quality receiver who can contribute right away from multiple spots on the field. Eventually, by the end of the season, he could be the Packers' No. 1 or 2 option. 

Pick
23. Arizona Cardinals
Zion Johnson, Boston College · IOL · Senior
Incredibly intelligent and versatile, Johnson would immediately find a spot along Arizona's offensive line. I don't see the Cardinals taking a defensive player in the first round for a third straight year -- regardless of who's on the board.

Pick
24. Dallas Cowboys
Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa · C · Junior (RS)
The Cowboys need offensive line help, and if Linderbaum is still available at No. 24, I could see the former standout wrestler as the team's starting center from Day 1.

Pick
25. Buffalo Bills
Breece Hall, Iowa State · RB · Junior
Everyone's loading up with offensive weapons in the AFC. The Bills are no different. Hall is the only running back I have going in the first round and would immediately become Buffalo's RB1. 

Pick
26. Tennessee Titans
Kenyon Green, Texas A&M · IOL · Junior
Green has interviewed well with teams the past few weeks and has an edge to him that will jell with that Titans offensive line. 

Pick
27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dax Hill, Michigan · S · Junior
The Bucs were able to keep Carlton Davis in free agency, but lost well-regarded safety Jordan Whitehead to the Jets. With a still-loaded defense up front, Tampa looks to the school where Tom Brady (and front office impresario John Spytek) went so many years ago. 

Pick
28. Green Bay Packers
Devonte Wyatt, Georgia · DT · Senior
Wyatt had an amazing combine performance that was overshadowed by his Georgia teammate, Jordan Davis. Nimble for his size (6-3, 304), Wyatt can be an immediate impact player on Joe Barry's defensive front.

Pick
29. Kansas City Chiefs (from SF through MIA)
George Karlaftis, Purdue · Edge · Junior
Karlaftis could go anywhere from the 20s to the 40s. If he's still on the board at No. 29, the Chiefs could scoop him up; he'd be a good fit in Steve Spagnuolo's 4-3 defense. Karlaftis, who spent his early years in Greece playing water polo, has emerged as a polished talent over the last few seasons in the Big Ten.

Pick
30. Kansas City Chiefs
Kyler Gordon, Washington · CB · Junior (RS)
The Chiefs respond to the AFC's arms race by adding another defensive back. Gordon is well-regarded around the league, with some teams liking him as much as his Washington teammate, Trent McDuffie. 

Pick
31. Cincinnati Bengals
Tyler Smith, Tulsa · OT · Sophomore (RS)
Smith is only a redshirt sophomore, but he's viewed as having one of the highest upsides of any lineman in this class. In the offseason of "Protect Joe Burrow AT ALL COSTS," Cincinnati keeps the theme going strong.

Pick
32. Detroit Lions (from LAR)
Matt Corral, Mississippi · QB · Junior (RS)
Corral has fans around the league and conceivably could go as high as the top 10. I think Detroit grabs a quarterback (for the fifth-year option) with the 32nd pick. 

Where do I sign?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And every one wants to take Drake London who broke his ankle and could not run a 40.

Half way through next year if you have passed on Williams for a lesser player then you have made a big error.

Lol London 6 months after breaking ankle still can’t run a 40 while Jamo is out there doing agility drills 3 months after ACL surgery, hmmmmm if I’m picking one for the LONG HAUL, it’s not even close!

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

WHOA I JUST READ THIS. It’s not my belief that they hate Zach and want to hide him behind a huge running game. It’s my belief that Saleh and LaFleur are trying to emulate the Shanahan rushing attack and also that Wilson is a lesser Garopollo. A Garopollito, if you will.

Ah, yes, just what every franchise needs at QB:  A poor man’s Jimmy Garoppolo.  

This f**king team I swear…

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah, yes, just what every franchise needs at QB:  A poor man’s Jimmy Garoppolo.  

This f**king team I swear…

I think I may have to check myself in to a mental institution, seriously for the first time in a very long time I feel the team is under the right leadership and heading in the right direction with an actual plan.

The only thing that can **** this up IMO and is probably more likely then not is Woody Johnson’s interference, the man can’t get out of his own way.

• Sympathy 1

I would prefer a bender at edge but there are more ways to take a QBs scalp.

I don't buy into the commitment bullsh*t.  I'm ready to take a chance of

hitting a home run with Williams, though my doctor says I shouldn't take

chances at my age. In the second I'd go with Chenal & Ruckert.   Nick Cross

at three. In the fourth to developmental OL who the Jets have coached

Waletzko and  Zakelj

and with the fifth Dareke Young

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Because there's more to it than what he says - he has doctors that the Jets have spoken with, the kid has live video of him already hopping around.  He's not going to say things like that, on video - when the Jets and every other team knows he's lying.  Would be a terrible look.  Jet or not - we'll see.

As for the second question - I assume you're talking about a trade and I've said they've been trying to do that - and believe it's more likely than not to get one of those guys  - but it's not as easy as simply wanting to - moreover, I'm not sure that's about job security and shiny new objects than it is about smart team building.

Joe has approached each season differently - according to a longer term vision, this was always going to be a year he was going to get aggressive.  I'm just not buying the idea that trading two second round picks for a top 10 WR is a desperation and desire for "splash" move.

Just released video of him hopping!Happy Bird GIF

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN)
Derek Stingley Jr., LSU · CB · Junior
Defensive back might not be the most pressing need for Seattle, but Stingley can ball. There's a big drop-off on teams' overall boards at the corner spot after Gardner and Stingley. Seattle gets another LSU Tiger to join Jamal Adams in the secondary.

Seattle can't be that fugging stupid!

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Seattle can't be that fugging stupid!

?

The Seahawks trade for Jamal Adams... 

The Seahawks gave up two first-round picks and a third-round pick along with safety Bradley McDougald in return for Adams and a 2022 fourth-round pick.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Jameson may become the next Jerry Rice for all I know, but I just don’t think the Jets have the luxury to take an injured WR who won’t be ready for a bit.  It’s too risky for them imo.

It depends on the vision and the patience the Jets are willing to have with him.  If they are convinced he will recover 100% like the doctors say he will then it comes down to a few basic questions....

1. Do the Jets need to rush Williams back because they're trying to compete for the playoffs next year?  No

2. Does Douglas feel he needs to rush Willams back in order to save his job? Hopefully no.

3. Can the Jets be expected to reasonably function on offense without Williams for half a season after adding Tomlinson, Uzomah, etc. to a team that should start the year healthy with Moore, Davis, Berrios at WR?  Absolutely.

The Jets are building towards being playoff competitive in 2023, 2024, etc., not this coming season.

I'd argue that you ignore the timetable for Jameson getting back on the field IF you are convinced he will fully recover.  He's the best WR in the Draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Man, do I think you OL/WR guys are off on JD.  Becton and Mims were his first ever draft picks as GM.  Sure Saleh and LaFleur have no tie to these guys, but I find it unlikely JD is going to take the L on either of one of them until his hand is forced.  If anything I think he's more focused on replacing the final Macc guys like Q and Mosely than he is on drafting a tackle or a receiver.  I think Jordan Davis has a better shot of getting taken than Drake London.  JMO...

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And every one wants to take Drake London who broke his ankle and could not run a 40.

Half way through next year if you have passed on Williams for a lesser player then you have made a big error.

Chances are Wilson goes like 8 to Atlanta so Williams would be the best WR at 10 for the Jets.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My thinking is that Woody Johnson is back in the building and Joe Douglas needs to be able to jingle some shiny toys in front of his face or Woody is going to get an itchy trigger finger. Douglas foolishly let himself (and the Jets) get publicly clowned in the Tyreek Hill imbroglio, and he needs to produce some W’s right away to recover. Maybe Thibodeaux is that guy, but if the Jets are 1-5 on November and Thibodeaux doesn’t feel like jumping into a foxhole with this bunch of losers, there’ll be hell to pay. As for Jameson Williams, you’re only going to see him when the season is already toast and the stadium is empty, and the damage is already done. It’s cool to say that we can wait for him, but I don’t think that’s the reality of their situation. 

I have to tell you.  I've been thinking about this post - and I now believe it's  more likely to be true than not.

JD has been patient and all of a sudden is now trying to make big splash moves (Tyreek Hill was one thing - but with every one of these WR's- seems a bit out of character, they're all not game changers like Hill)

Woody, of course, has always been far more concerned with PR than winning - and now wants a back page win more than building the roster properly....

JD has been methodical in building this team - and now as soon as Woody's back he's acting completely out of character.

Mea culpa on my end - I think you very well might be right and  this franchise is doomed until Woody is gone.  It'll be almost impossible to win with that mindset.

I hope we're wrong here and Joe really just wants to get his young QB a weapon this badly.  Wrong or right - him making decisions gives us hope - Woody meddling for all the wrong reasons is a disaster.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It depends on the vision and the patience the Jets are willing to have with him.  If they are convinced he will recover 100% like the doctors say he will then it comes down to a few basic questions....

1. Do the Jets need to rush Williams back because they're trying to compete for the playoffs next year?  No

2. Does Douglas feel he needs to rush Willams back in order to save his job? Hopefully no.

3. Can the Jets be expected to reasonably function on offense without Williams for half a season after adding Tomlinson, Uzomah, etc. to a team that should start the year healthy with Moore, Davis, Berrios at WR?  Absolutely.

The Jets are building towards being playoff competitive in 2023, 2024, etc., not this coming season.

I'd argue that you ignore the timetable for Jameson getting back on the field IF you are convinced he will fully recover.  He's the best WR in the Draft. 

I agree. I understand everyone’s hesitancy what with the injury so it’s a very risky move. I think he’s worth the risk. The passing attack should be improved as-is with healthy players coming back and Moore in his second year. Add to that two functional te’s. The team can absolutely function well for however long it takes to get this dude healthy. Don’t rush him back. 

if they can’t trade back, and the board falls this way, I’d be happy with this first round. Both picks are risky, but if they pan out, it could be a great first round. 

• Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This thinking makes no sense.  The are in a great position to take Jameson Williams for plenty of reasons.

1- They have plenty of pass catches to hold them over until hes ready in October.  Davis, Moore, Berrios, Uzomah, Conky, Mimsy.

2- 2022 is a year of growth and development.  The plan all along is to be ready to compete with the big boys in 2023.  This is the perfect year to ease Jameson Williams in and have him ready to go for 2023.

If your buying a new car do you buy one with engine trouble because you have other cars that can be used till its fixed.  No you buy a car that's in working order. 

17 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think I may have to check myself in to a mental institution, seriously for the first time in a very long time I feel the team is under the right leadership and heading in the right direction with an actual plan.

The only thing that can **** this up IMO and is probably more likely then not is Woody Johnson’s interference, the man can’t get out of his own way.

image.gif.d003cc88de4e54a987c28d62eb5e7d1a.gif

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My thinking is that Woody Johnson is back in the building and Joe Douglas needs to be able to jingle some shiny toys in front of his face or Woody is going to get an itchy trigger finger. Douglas foolishly let himself (and the Jets) get publicly clowned in the Tyreek Hill imbroglio, and he needs to produce some W’s right away to recover. 

I'll give a slightly different take on the whole Tyreek Hill whiff.  Whether intentional or not, it may turn out to have been a beneficial miss in the following way - Once the cat was out of the bag that the Jets were offering multiple picks and a huge contract that Hill's agent would have accepted, it essentially let the Jets "legally tamper" with every other disgruntled high-end WR in the league.  Guys like Deebo, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, etc. are all under contract and the Jets can't contact them.  They also can't contact their agents and say they're willing to offer top dollar in an inflated WR market.  But the Hill situation had JD answering questions to the media and it allowed him to basically say, "We want a #1 WR, we'll pay top dollar, and we will trade picks to get one."  It was like primetime advertising during the Super Bowl and every WR heard it.  All the guys I mentioned above immediately started phoning their agents.  In the weeks following Hill's trade we've been hearing that many of these guys now want out and they know the Jets will pay them.

Prior to the Hill situation even Jets fans, beat writers and league experts had no idea just how hungry the Jets were.  The news that morning that Tyreek Hill was "about to become a Jet" came out of left field.  It told us and everyone else that Jets weren't just sniffing around guys like a DJ Chark or a Russell Gage, but that they were big game hunting!  I think it's what has gotten us to this point with guys like Deebo now demanding a trade.