Leger Douzable on Jets O-Line

He's not even close to wrong.  I've said a few times that outside of Zach, Becton is the most important guy on this roster.

Becton, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Fant would be a top 10 line.  Swap Fant for Ekwonwu and you're talking top five.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Strongest position group on the team. This is why the idea of a first round OL drives me ****ing nuts. 

Exactly. Ol is the strongest group by a wide margin, yet people are clamoring to invest even more into it. Make it make sense 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The uncertainty with Becton is what is driving this.  

Has he made it to the facility yet to work out?

They were a top 15 group in the league without becton last year and a constant rotation + a brand new scheme.. AVT in year 2 plus Tomlinson already make it better 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I hear ya but this year's draft board seems to point to OT being the value at #4. Sometimes you also have to look beyond this year's needs.

If we can trade out of 4, great. But if we have to stay and 3 Edges go 1-3, what do you do? I don't think any WR is worth 4.

I wish Becton had been healthy and lived up to his draft status, Would make the decision easier.

Heck, the Redskins took 2 QBs in the same draft...and it actually worked out for them.

His health and what the staff thinks of him are the biggest unknown going into this. 

Did it really work out for the team formerly known as the Redskins? What’s their record since that draft? 

Tell me about a team that drafted OL in the first round three years in a row and went on to win a championship. I’ll wait here. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, slats said:

Kid looked dominant, most of the time, as a rookie. Like you, I have no idea what his injury was this past year. All I know is, if he comes back at his rookie level or better, the Jets OT position is in good shape. Really good OTs still available in free agency, too. It’s just no place to spend a high pick this year. I can’t see JD giving up on his first first round pick that quickly, and I don’t believe that he will. 

yep, Eric Fisher is till out there. all he wants is 8 mil and to start. if JD is worried about Becton then i rather trade him and sign Fisher. 

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I hear ya but this year's draft board seems to point to OT being the value at #4. Sometimes you also have to look beyond this year's needs.

If we can trade out of 4, great. But if we have to stay and 3 Edges go 1-3, what do you do? I don't think any WR is worth 4.

I wish Becton had been healthy and lived up to his draft status, Would make the decision easier.

Heck, the Redskins took 2 QBs in the same draft...and it actually worked out for them.

His health and what the staff thinks of him are the biggest unknown going into this. 

and in 2020 OL seemed to be the value at 11. and in 2021 OL seemed to be the value at 14. why is it every time we pick OL always seems to be the best value.?

when it keep happening like this you got to pick something else. we cant have a OL full of 1st rd picks. in what league is this a winning strategy? 

this is the same as when we picked 4 DL in 5 years. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

They were a top 15 group in the league without becton last year and a constant rotation + a brand new scheme.. AVT in year 2 plus Tomlinson already make it better 

We got Tomlinson but we did lose our starting right tackle and Fant is only signed thru this year.   I dont think we need to take a tackle in the top 5 but I think one of the second rders should be considered for a tackle to back up the starters and groom to replace Fant.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Did it really work out for the team formerly known as the Redskins? What’s their record since that draft? 

Tell me about a team that drafted OL in the first round three years in a row and went on to win a championship. I’ll wait here. 

Or even go to the playoffs. Maybe even have a winning record 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He's not even close to wrong.  I've said a few times that outside of Zach, Becton is the most important guy on this roster.

Becton, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Fant would be a top 10 line.  Swap Fant for Ekwonwu and you're talking top five.

I'm not so sure removing a top pass blocking OT and adding a rookie who struggled to pass block in college, is a move I'd make this year

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

We got Tomlinson but we did lose our starting right tackle and Fant is only signed thru this year.   I dont think we need to take a tackle in the top 5 but I think one of the second rders should be considered for a tackle to back up the starters and groom to replace Fant.

Fant has tons of mileage left. He barely played in sea. He’ll just keep getting better with more reps. Give him 12 mil per year and forget about it for 4 years. 

Draft a guy in the mid rounds 3+ where they aren’t expected to start. There’s plenty out there. Take a IOL too for depth since it’s thin. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

Fant has tons of mileage left. He barely played in sea. He’ll just keep getting better with more reps. Give him 12 mil per year and forget about it for 4 years. 

Draft a guy in the mid rounds 3+ where they aren’t expected to start. There’s plenty out there. Take a IOL too for depth since it’s thin. 

Im not convinced Fant is a top left tackle.   His pass blocking was good last year, his run blocking not so much.

Id be thrilled to be wrong about that.   Whether its 2,3, or 4 th rd I think we need a solid back up with potential to start this year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bowles Movement said:

Im not convinced Fant is a top left tackle.   His pass blocking was good last year, his run blocking not so much.

Id be thrilled to be wrong about that.   Whether its 2,3, or 4 th rd I think we need a solid back up with potential to start this year.

Fant only has what 2 years starting? He barely played in college too. He just needs experience. The jets have a great ol coach and he’ll have Tomlinson next to him for a few years. He’ll keep improving 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

i will tell you....

it has NEVER happened. 

no team in NFL history has ever drafted 3 OL three years in a row. 

49 minutes ago, slats said:

Redskins were able to make the playoffs with Cousins at least once.

I read the post that talked about playoff teams and where they drafted o-linemen.

Again I ask: what is your view of our o-line if Becton doesn't revert to rookie form or continues to miss extended time?

Oh yeah - we took 2 o--linemen in the same year in the same draft. Worked out

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Basically describing Brick’s career, and that guy has a statue in the mods’ ladies’ room. 

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Like you said if you are left with the value with 2 LT blue chip prospects we have to either trade with someone who wants one or take one ourselves. Now it would be great if one of the LTs are picked before 4. That would mean we either take whatever Edge rusher falls to us, Sauce, or trade down. You know the Giants want one of the LTs so maybe we trade one slot with you them.

• Upvote 2