Cooper Kupp says he's 'not trying to beat anybody' when he reaches extension with Los Angeles Rams

8 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Or he wants to win and realizes that he needs a team around him to do it and he doesn’t need 200 million dollars. 

This.

It’s a tough predicament these guys find themselves in, you wanna maximize your worth but unfortunately on a salary cap league very few are able to get record breaking contracts and still win. 

just how many of those big time contracts actually get paid in full?  not many.  skills deteriorate or the players gets injured.  kupp is going to be fairly old at the end of his current contract.  and then it's all about desire.  does he really want to play past 30?  we'll see what happens.  he's a darn good receiver.

Receivers who wanna get that 30 million per are gonna find themselves in a tough spot on a team that’s ready to win and are already at the cap. Especially the teams where the quarterback is already making above  30 million per. If Kupp wants to stay on a SB contending team he’ll most likely have to take a discount. 

No doubt he can command a huge deal if he so wished, but the NFL landscape is in a odd transitional period that I'm not sure is going to last for long. 

By this i mean the current trend of Top Wr's demanding 25+ mill per year and leaving their current clubs to capitalize on a WR hungry market.  The success of the bengals has created a WR feeding frenzy for teams looking to add as many top flight pieces around QB's as possible. While this has always been a goal of organizations, I think the Bengals success of Chase, Boydd, and Higgins has created a ground swell of teams looking to go 3 deep at the WR position.  Conversely you are also seeing these teams that have top end WR's draw a line in the sand a little bit on just handing over large deals to these players, and instead opting to trade them for a plethora of picks. 

Now time will tell which method is better, but I think buyers need to beware.  While I am fully in favor of the jets making such a move due to certain conditions (Qb on a rookie deal/the value of a high end veteran player to pair with a young offense), I do think some teams may end up regretting some of these absolutely loaded deals down the road.  

My main reason for thinking this is the extreme quality of WR we have seen coming out of the draft regularly every year.  This is why I think KC and GB are going to be the most interesting teams this year and situations many other squads may look to emulate going forward.  No one can deny Adams and Hills value to their respective former franchises and QBs.  But with high end QB deals on each team, they opted to trade their extremely productive players earlier rather than later to maximize value.  To pivot i think we will see these teams add multiple receivers in the draft and look to play small ball for a lack of a better word.  Having multiple WR's that can contribute at a good to great level hopefully mitigates the need for a dominant #1 and also makes the offense harder to defend because they are deeper.  

KC last year had issues because teams were taking Hills speed away over the top and handling the other guys underneath.  If JuJu can bounce back to form, MVS can provide something and Hardman can step up, with the addition of a draft pick or two, this team gets markedly more balanced on the receiving end offensively, and also frees up money to address a severely lacking defense.  Same with GB who had Adams and essentially no one,  Them loosing Adams production will hurt plenty, but if they can add productive players through the draft this year, they may be in a better spot WR wise than they were at a fraction of the cost with the saving being able to be spread around the team.  

All of this seems like commons sense, but its a calculated risk these teams are taking banking on the fact that every year productive WR's are coming out of the draft and you no longer have to wait 3+ years for solid production.  

While im not sure it will ever get to this level, one could see a shift in WR contracts in the next few years going cheaper due to the supply, similar to what we've seen from RB over the years.  Again I do not think in a passing league the WR position will be as devalued as a RB has been, but I would not expect to see WR contracts regularly climb towards the 30+ mill per year sector. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

This.

It’s a tough predicament these guys find themselves in, you wanna maximize your worth but unfortunately on a salary cap league very few are able to get record breaking contracts and still win. 

And if you don't, the NFLPA and other players at your position get mad at you, because you're not pushing the market value up for your peers.  If Kupp accepts WR money that falls outside of the top 5 of WRs, then that would serve to depress the WR market a little bit.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And if you don't, the NFLPA and other players at your position get mad at you, because you're not pushing the market value up for your peers.  If Kupp accepts WR money that falls outside of the top 5 of WRs, then that would serve to depress the WR market a little bit.  

Didn’t even think of this part, plus you got the agent 9 times out of 10 pushing for every last dollar in the players ear, it’s not a easy decision to make 

• Upvote 1