Apple TV likely taking over Sunday ticket

Matt39

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/18/report-apple-is-likely-landing-sunday-ticket/

Apple is about to take a, well, something out of the NFL’s rights portfolio.

The tech behemoth reportedly has emerged as the favorite to land the NFL’s Sunday Ticket package, according to Matthew Belloni of PUCK.news, via Sports Business Journal. An unnamed source told Belloni that the deal is actually done, and that it’s being kept under wraps at Apple’s request.

The price could land in the range of $2.5 billion per year. And the deal would bring Apple within the NFL’s broader broadcast-partner tent. Belloni writes that the league “likes spreading its rights around so everyone is invested in its success.” (Some would phrase that a little differently.)

DirecTV holds the Sunday Ticket rights through 2022. We’ve previously heard that the winner of the Sunday Ticket package possibly would be able to sell a sliver of the satellite rights, either to people in areas that lack high-speed Internet access or to bars.

Seems good and bad. Streams for live sports/big audiences is still terrible. More access I guess. Will be a disaster for sports bars year 1. Cap going up for sure.

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

What will this do to the annual subscription price?  As a practical matter it will probably result in a better functioning, less clunky app.  But certainly we'll pay for it.

Streaming services are still not built for live sports. The dish is absurd in 2022 but cable itself still has it's positives. The lags and buffering during a game is still a no go for me if the game matters (luckily the Jets suck).

• Upvote 3

I've rarely had lags / buffering issues when streaming ticket.  Just need to make sure your internet connection is good.  My biggest complaints with ticket are 1) that they black out the game being aired in the local market (they should let me enter my cable provider information) and 2) that they black out ALL games when you're attending an NFL game (this makes zero effing sense)

• Upvote 2

People seem to be missing that bars will still use Satellite so Apple will likely outsource the bar business to DirecTV or Dish so they should not see any difference. Satellite will likely be only available to businesses and maybe some seriously rural customers. Pricing will be interesting.

I subscribed to Sunday Ticket from the first year it was offered until about 4 years ago.  The ridiculous explosion in pricing just turned me off.  I was paying several hundred dollars per year for maybe 5 games I actually watched on it.

I don't know what subscription numbers looked like but if Apple thinks they can raise the prices, I suspect subscriptions will plummet.   Maybe they'll do the opposite just to get subscribers to AppleTV.  Ted Lasso almost got me in.  This might do it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/18/report-apple-is-likely-landing-sunday-ticket/

Seems good and bad. Streams for live sports/big audiences is still terrible. More access I guess. Will be a disaster for sports bars year 1. Cap going up for sure.

Does this mean I still need DirecTV for the 2022 season?  Damn.  I was waiting to hear that Sunday Ticket was going somewhere else, be it Apple, Amazon Prime, or whatever, and thought it would transition before the start of this upcoming season.

Just now, MysticalJet2 said:

I’m sure it won’t happen because of cost and revenue, but a la cart option would be nice to pick and choose what games you want to watch.

Depends on pricing.  They could make it dynamic such that you get the entire season, all games for something like $300.  You can get one team's games all season for $150, and you can Pay-Per-Game something like $25.  I'd like to see a variety of options like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

i hate streaming stuff.  notifications from espn/yahoo on my cell always come 30 seconds early or so haha.

Good point.  A lot of people say that the latency/delay will cause problems for the growing area of gambling called in-game betting.  How can you bet on whether a FG is made/missed if it's already been kicked but you haven't seen that happen yet. lol

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good point.  A lot of people say that the latency/delay will cause problems for the growing area of gambling called in-game betting.  How can you bet on whether a FG is made/missed if it's already been kicked but you haven't seen that happen yet. lol

The gambler/die hard fan will need cable for the foreseeable future unless some super internet is created. 

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Does this mean I still need DirecTV for the 2022 season?  Damn.  I was waiting to hear that Sunday Ticket was going somewhere else, be it Apple, Amazon Prime, or whatever, and thought it would transition before the start of this upcoming season.

Good point for some reason I thought it was to change for 2022 season. 

• Upvote 1

My guess is that pricing will stay pretty high. Apple TV does not have a retail industry behind it like Amazon does where they could spend the billions just to get more people signed up for Prime. Single team packages seem questionable from a financial standpoint to me. 

The reason I subscribe to Sunday Ticket is to watch any game I want to watch on Sunday, not to watch one team.  It's great for fantasy football and a life saver when the Jets are terrible.  I enjoy bouncing around from game to game or watching the mix. I will not have it in 2022 for the first time and I am going to miss that. I'm not a Red Zone fan because I want to choose what I watch and not be subject to the studio.  If you are truly a fan of and a follower of the league in general, it is must see TV.  If you just want to watch the Jets, it is too expensive. I think that makes me the prototypical Season Ticket purchaser.  

The issue with a streaming service for me is the ability to watch the mix and move the sound from game to game in an instant.  And to click on and watch a game live when something is happening. If Apple or Amazon can't accommodate the instant movement from game to game, then it is not worth the money.  The only way to justify charging people the large fee is to give them the ability to change quickly from game to game to game. Without that, it's not worth the time or the effort.  Apple has to solve the buffering issue before 2023 or what did they buy?

• Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The reason I subscribe to Sunday Ticket is to watch any game I want to watch on Sunday, not to watch one team.  It's great for fantasy football and a life saver when the Jets are terrible.  I enjoy bouncing around from game to game or watching the mix. I will not have it in 2022 for the first time and I am going to miss that. I'm not a Red Zone fan because I want to choose what I watch and not be subject to the studio.  If you are truly a fan of and a follower of the league in general, it is must see TV.  If you just want to watch the Jets, it is too expensive. I think that makes me the prototypical Season Ticket purchaser.  

The issue with a streaming service for me is the ability to watch the mix and move the sound from game to game in an instant.  And to click on and watch a game live when something is happening. If Apple or Amazon can't accommodate the instant movement from game to game, then it is not worth the money.  The only way to justify charging people the large fee is to give them the ability to change quickly from game to game to game. Without that, it's not worth the time or the effort.  Apple has to solve the buffering issue before 2023 or what did they buy?

My guess is you will need a separate subscription to Apple TV for each game. I streamed Sunday Ticket this entire season and had only 1 issue the entire season and that lasted about 10s. It did not switch games instantly though,

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm stoked about this and hope that Apple makes it available to iPhone owners only, because the green texting people ruin every single group chat without fail. 

Even Apple the most delusional company in the world is not that dumb.

41 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yeah surfing from game to game should not be frustrating for the consumer. When I bought it via Playstation it was a pain in the neck. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

People seem to be missing that bars will still use Satellite so Apple will likely outsource the bar business to DirecTV or Dish so they should not see any difference. Satellite will likely be only available to businesses and maybe some seriously rural customers. Pricing will be interesting.

300k bars and restaurants subscribe at a rate based on capacity. Doubt Apple gives up or shares that revenue stream.

• Upvote 1